PDA

View Full Version : Mad Men is back!

BestHorses
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:56 PM
After years of waiting Mad Men is finally back!!! What do you think of the new season so far?

I'm liking it but I wonder where the moody, haunted-by-his-past Don is and when he'll return. Peggy is still my fave! I'm also interested to see where they take the new writer character they just introduced.

Long Spot
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:04 PM
After years of waiting Mad Men is finally back!!! What do you think of the new season so far?

I'm liking it but I wonder where the moody, haunted-by-his-past Don is and when he'll return. Peggy is still my fave! I'm also interested to see where they take the new writer character they just introduced.

Moody Don will return, I'm sure. You can tell he's already losing patience with the young and hip wife.

It's interesting to me how they are really making a statement of change, and out with the old and in with the new.

I'm suspecting the new writer will end up as a love interest for Peggy.

By the way, in case it had by some miracle left the heads of any COTH Mad Men fans, I'd just like to say

ZOU BISOU BISOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngf2zHq4FEI

Worst ear worm ever.

stolen virtue
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:24 PM
Thank you long spot ! Cause I always hate that song and yet when I hear it I think it can't be that bad but it is.

TheHorseProblem
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:43 PM
This versions is far superior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sGjKIf8qCY&feature=related

:lol::lol::lol:

I realized after watching the season opener why I can't stand the actress who plays Megan. She is completely self-conscious on camera. It messes with my suspension of disbelief. She's just a terrible actress. That scene with Peggy where they are planning Don's party crystallized it for me. She's in over her head and I can't wait for Don to dump her.

I am also not digging Betty in that fat suit.:no:

xeroxchick
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:45 PM
What do you think of the FatBetty story line? That really threw me for a loop. Don and Megan's apartment is SO COOL, love it and how the colors/pallet are really from that era.
Is Joan's baby Roger's?
Gotta say that the scene where Don is shaving and feeling old was a treat for me cuz I do like me some chest hair and a tresure trail and it seems like most of these actors get the wax done, which, imho, makes them look juvenile, effeminate and totally lacking in testosterone. Work it, baby.

Lone
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:11 PM
Yes, Joan's baby is Roger's. Last season she told him she was getting an abortion but she never did. Roger doesn't know though (at least I don't think he does)

So far I'm really liking this season. I am anxious for the moody Don to come back, but I feel confidant things with his new wife will come to a head at some point. It already seems like he's losing patience with her at times.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Betty in a fat suit story line, I'm curious to see where they take it.

BestHorses
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:31 PM
I do like me some chest hair and a tresure trail

LOL! I think they do a good job of having the actors look like the era - middle aged men then wouldn't be all muscle and buff perfection after smoking and drinking all day!

I find it weird that after all the soul searching and journaling Don was doing in the previous season they haven't shown a bit of that yet.

That song in the first episode was SO annoying. If Betty had ever pulled a stunt like that Don would have reamed her. Not sure a person so conservative he didn't let his wife talk to a salesman alone would suddenly get so relaxed.

Don't like the fat Betty storyline but I think the actress was pregnant so they had to write it in.

BuddyRoo
Apr. 7, 2012, 04:00 PM
I hate Betty.

I also thought the season opener kind of sorked--but I think it's because they were trying to lay out the general idea of the show for new watchers.

It's one of those shows where I feel like I'm watching a train wreck. I love it and I hate it all at the same time.

cranky
Apr. 7, 2012, 04:11 PM
I'm loving the new season so far.

* Hate the Megan character. I am looking forward to that relationship blowing up.
* Like the "Fat Betty" story line (apparently they had to work January Jones' pregnancy into the story line. Although, they obviously jacked it up some).
* I think they might be setting Sally up for a eating disorder story line.
* Love Peggy.
* The new copywriter looks like he may be intriguing.
* Like the Roger/Pete rivalry.

Bacardi1
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:51 PM
Yes, Joan's baby is Roger's. Last season she told him she was getting an abortion but she never did. Roger doesn't know though (at least I don't think he does)

I was unsure at first about Roger knowing, but I'm thinking he has to, since Joan openly declared herself pregnant to the office before her husband came home from overseas. Roger can't be that dumb. (Or can he?)

I'm not a "Peggy" fan (I actually find her kind of annoying), & I can't stand "Sally" - UGH. Pete & Roger are funny, & have good lines. I predict that, of course, Don & Megan will split, & Henry & Betty will split. That's as far as I'll go. One does have to wonder whether or not Pete & Peggy's little son will pop up one day. Oh the joys of soap opera cloaked in a 1960's climate. :)

TheHorseProblem
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:05 PM
Don't like the fat Betty storyline but I think the actress was pregnant so they had to write it in.

I have a friend who has insider knowledge. She claims that it's all latex and a body double.

Lone
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:49 PM
I was unsure at first about Roger knowing, but I'm thinking he has to, since Joan openly declared herself pregnant to the office before her husband came home from overseas. Roger can't be that dumb. (Or can he?)

That's a good point- maybe Roger does know? Wasn't Joan's husband at basic training when she and Roger got together? I guess I assumed her husband had come home between his basic training and being deployed and Joan just fudged the info about her due date to make everything line up. I can't remember the exact time though- I could be wrong!

Long Spot
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:54 PM
Roger is not the most observant person, especially when it comes to someone other than himself.

I think he probably suspects, but doesn't give a hoot because it would make his life much more difficult.

I, too, had read that they had to go with a fat suit for January Jones because she just didn't gain that much weight while pregnant. I'm not a Betty fan either but at least we didn't have to suffer through a whole season of watching her carrying the groceries, dry cleaning, peeking around doors and sitting in the car all in the name of hiding her baby bump.

seabreeze
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:54 PM
It feels like they are really building us up for some great explosions! Just my favorite show ever...swoon...

Do you wonder if Megan will be cheating on Don?
Will Don cheat on Megan with Betty?
Roger, who wasn't one of my favorites before, is awesome this season! Great lines, sick of young Jane already.
And Pete...Pete...ever the weasel. I wanted Roger to beat him up.
Peggy's great as always. Love, love, love the new guy!

stolen virtue
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:06 PM
I'm thinking Joan had the baby in a small way to torment Roger. That seems to be a part of her character. I have to say that my mother would never in a million years get up in the night or early in the morning to help me with one of my babies.

Love watching Mr. Draper, Megan not so much...

CiegoStar
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:54 PM
I love Mad Men, but they've really gone overboard with the fat suits. They did the same thing to Peggy in season one. They can have Betty be self-conscious about her weight without her putting on what looks like 80 or more pounds. They even made her lower arms fat. It just doesn't seem realistic at all to me, especially given how Betty has been very careful with her weight the whole series. Also, she can still have a thyroid condition without it being cancer. I did think it was some of JJ's best work, though. She's been one of the worst actors on Mad Men but seems to finally get it.

I am warming up to Megan! I think they've done a great job showing her as a representative of the next generation - her mod clothes, her liberated sexuality. Don would have gone postal if Betty had performed a song like that in front of his friends. Certainly Don and Megan are a mismatch. They'll figure that out, and I think Megan is going to give him a run for his money. I am looking forward to a woman giving him his due for a change.

Roger has become completely pathetic. I wish they still had Lucky Strike so I didn't feel so sorry for him. Love his one-liners. "Bonjour!" haha. I loved the whole first episode. The second one, eh. Can't wait for tonight!

SharonA
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:16 PM
Oh, but I love Henry. I wish Betty would at least make him the happiest man in the world for a few weeks/months, and then they can kill him off via a plane crash or something else blameless. Then Betty can inherit a large sum of money from his insurance, and we can see what she does with being a wealthy widow of an important man.

I like Don better when he's not so anguished.

I find Meghan, and also Pete's wife, pretty generic.

I always wonder what happened to the character who was the gay illustrator. The head of Lucky Strike (I think) tried to seduce him in the film room one night and he rejected him, because he was afraid of being caught, so then the head of Lucky Strike said he had to be fired. I liked his character and was interested to see what ever happened with his relationship with his wife. I also wonder what happened to Roger's first wife. From what you saw of her, I liked her character.

Long Spot
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:46 PM
I always wonder what happened to the character who was the gay illustrator.

Saul. I loved Saul. I've often wondered why they wrote him out.

Anyone else wonder when they are going to be able to keep the same damn Bobby for more than one season? I think they are on their fourth Bobby.

BestHorses
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:22 PM
Saul. I loved Saul. I've often wondered why they wrote him out.

Anyone else wonder when they are going to be able to keep the same damn Bobby for more than one season? I think they are on their fourth Bobby.

Sal - I liked him, too. It would be cool if he came back into the storyline now that Lucky Strike is gone.

I thought this was only the second Bobby. I hate when they change actors like that. This one seems younger than the previous one. :lol:

BestHorses
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:32 AM
Ok Peggy rocked it last night by sticking it to Roger when he screwed up. heehee I wish I could get extra money from people when I have to fix their mistakes!!!!

Bacardi1
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:45 AM
Last night was the first time I really warmed up to Peggy. That scene with Roger was priceless. I also liked the realism of her angst when she caught herself in a semi-racist moment when she was going to take her purse into the bedroom with her instead of leaving it on the table where her black secretary guest would be sleeping.

CiegoStar
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:09 AM
I loved this episode. There were so many interesting moments. I'm really glad that we're getting to know Dawn, the new secretary, even if it revealed more about Peggy than Dawn. And how about that creepy grandmother with the knife? Giving Sally sleeping pills, are you kidding??

I was in shock when Joan told her husband to leave. Poor girl. But obviously he is not even remotely thinking of her. And since she knows the baby isn't his, she doesn't have an attachment to him anymore. I love Joan's character and hope things turn out well for her in the end.

Long Spot
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:30 AM
I was wondering when that scene where the husband hit her was going to come back into play. There it is.

I feel kind of silly, I watched it twice and I never picked up on the purse thing with Peggy. I kept trying to figure out why she was so weird about going to bed. I guess it's because I had totally forgotten about her hilarious fleecing of Roger and the money in her bag. I even noticed that the note was politely laying on her purse in the morning and I still didn't get it. D'OH!

Bacardi1
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:35 AM
I was wondering when that scene where the husband hit her was going to come back into play. There it is.

I didn't remember him hitting her, but when she said to him "You were never a "good" man, even before we were married", I believe she was referring to the time, when they were still just engaged, that he literally raped her - while she tried to fight him off - on the floor of Don's office after hours.

Long Spot
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:37 AM
I didn't remember him hitting her, but when she said to him "You were never a "good" man, even before we were married", I believe she was referring to the time, when they were still just engaged, that he literally raped her - while she tried to fight him off - on the floor of Don's office after hours.

That's the incident I was thinking of as well.

BestHorses
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:56 AM
That's the incident I was thinking of as well.

Me too. I can't imagine having to deal with all of that with your mother listening in from the next room.

seabreeze
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:57 AM
Fantastic episode!

I, too, loved Peggy "handling" Roger. Awesome. And the Dawn/purse part was very good.

And the whole Sally storyline was good...don't you remember hearing about stuff like that back then and being totally creeped out??? (Kinda sad we just take it in stride these days)

Nobody has mentioned Don. What do you make of his murder dream? Really wild, no? Is he "killing" all his past infidelities? Or is he subconsciously "killing" Meghan? Hmmm...

evntr5218
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:00 AM
who here thinks that roger and joan are going to get back together?
also henry francis creeps me out a little. i know hes been nothing but nice to betty but there is just something there? does anyone else feel it?

BestHorses
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:26 AM
also henry francis creeps me out a little. i know hes been nothing but nice to betty but there is just something there? does anyone else feel it?

Yeah - I've always gotten a weird vibe from him. Seeing how his mother was treating Sally made me wonder about his upbringing.

CiegoStar
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:28 AM

I hope Roger and Joan don't get back together. He's an absolutely worthless human, as funny and charming as he is. He could never be a suitable mate or father. Remember when Joan came into the office, scared for her job - that was because of Roger's joke ad. You'd think she could trust her long-term lover to protect her job while on maternity leave, but she can't. She went to Lane for explanation, not Roger. She knows how useless Roger is.

As for Henry - well, he did first hit on Betty when she was eight months pregnant, I thought that was super creepy! But perhaps it explains why he doesn't mind her size now. Perhaps he was disappointed when she had the baby and the weight came off!

evntr5218
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:36 AM
As for Henry - well, he did first hit on Betty when she was eight months pregnant, I thought that was super creepy! But perhaps it explains why he doesn't mind her size now. Perhaps he was disappointed when she had the baby and the weight came off![/QUOTE]

never thought about that good thinking. i mean look at his mom. maybe he has a "complex".

allikat819
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:41 PM
Am I the only one that actually likes Megan?

She seems to know how to handle Don, and while she was certainly feeling some jealousy during the elevator scene, she made her point without blowing up. I think Don for once is taking this relationship seriously, and I think she's good for him.

Long Spot
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:43 PM
I want to know what direction they are taking Lane. I wonder if there is more to come with the girl in the picture, or if that was just to show he's pretty unhappy in his marriage. Sometimes I find him terribly sweet and sometimes he can be down right creepy. He was so sweet to Joan when she came in, it seemed to me they were trying to show him as a fellow lost soul.

Tha Ridge
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:46 PM
Am I the only one that actually likes Megan?

She seems to know how to handle Don, and while she was certainly feeling some jealousy during the elevator scene, she made her point without blowing up. I think Don for once is taking this relationship seriously, and I think she's good for him.

Agreed. She didn't go into hysterics or sit back silently like Betty did for so long, and I think Don's dream was him processing all of that for the first time. Fever dreams are WEIRD.

KateKat
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:49 PM
I like Meghan too. She is the only woman he seems to genuinely care about, outside of Anna. However, based on last nights episode, that could all be a lie. Like I liked the line the woman said when she got into his apartment about it being "all him" despite people probably thinking it was Meghan who decorated it. I know this season is all about change, but then again, how much can people *really* change?

I mean look at Peggy-she's trying to make it work in a man's world...and we saw last night she's still very unsure and vunerable, despite breaking through the glass ceiling.

And definitely good on Joanie! I've been waiting for that rape incident to resurface, and it took three seasons! I think again it was telling of the changing times that allowed Joanie the ability to kick Greg out. Three seasons ago, she was obsessed with finding a husband because thats what you do. But now? It might actually be okay to be a single mom.

I think the episode set up some interesting things for the rest of the season. Season started off slow, but it is definitely improving. This was my favorite one so far.

Oh, and also loved the line from Stan about leaving the office, checking the whole world for Ginsberg, and ending up at home. LOL.

evntr5218
Apr. 9, 2012, 01:21 PM
I actually like Megan too. I actually like her more than I like Betty!

Bacardi1
Apr. 9, 2012, 02:36 PM
You know, for one brief scary moment I almost thought that Don was not only hallucinating, but was actually strangling Megan, thinking it was his fever-dream old lover. But then, Don murdering someone would really put too weird a spin on the show, & I understand they've definitely contracted thru a Season 7, then I think they're planning on ending. But who knows?

KateKat
Apr. 9, 2012, 03:48 PM
You know, for one brief scary moment I almost thought that Don was not only hallucinating, but was actually strangling Megan, thinking it was his fever-dream old lover. But then, Don murdering someone would really put too weird a spin on the show, & I understand they've definitely contracted thru a Season 7, then I think they're planning on ending. But who knows?

It would put a really weird spin on the show. But, part of the appeal of Don (at least for me) has been that we don't really know who he is. Even though last season (or was it the season before last? I don't really remember) the overall theme was "who is Don Draper?" the question was never really answered. I think there are a lot of unresolved story lines there. Although this season is definitely focusing on the changing times. Seems more ensemble than individual character plot points.

Bacardi1
Apr. 9, 2012, 04:19 PM
It would put a really weird spin on the show. But, part of the appeal of Don (at least for me) has been that we don't really know who he is. Even though last season (or was it the season before last? I don't really remember) the overall theme was "who is Don Draper?" the question was never really answered. I think there are a lot of unresolved story lines there. Although this season is definitely focusing on the changing times. Seems more ensemble than individual character plot points.

You must just mean "who he is" mentally, because they've pretty much exhausted his entire true physical background. You could almost do a dossier at this point.

Father got a prostitute pregnant, prostitute died giving birth, midwife brought baby to father's wife - who couldn't have children. Father died getting kicked in the head by a horse, wife/"stepmother" marries again to yet another cruel man. "Dick" Whitman" (the story behind how he was named "Dick" is pretty funny) grows up, goes to war, is at a camp alone with a guy named "Don Draper". Gets bombed, the real "Don Draper" dies, but the military hospital gets them mixed up & thinks "Dick Whitman" was the dead guy, thus the survivor takes over the persona of the fallen man. Voila - the new "Don Draper" is born. Then of course they go into where the real Don Draper's wife discovers him, they become fast friends, yadayadayada.

But really, physically I don't think there's much more coming.

KateKat
Apr. 9, 2012, 04:31 PM
yes sorry, I did mean mentally. I never questioned who he was physically since that was explored pretty early on.

TheHorseProblem
May. 11, 2012, 11:36 PM
The new season ROCKS.

Oh my God, I am even beginning to warm up to Meghan.

The new Jewish copywriter!

Roger took acid and dumped Jane!

Don in that empty apartment!

Bacardi1
May. 12, 2012, 08:38 AM
Yeah - so far, so good.

Though one has to wonder - & I'm not Jewish - why the film industry seems to perpetually feel the need to portray all Jewish males as Borscht-Belt comedians.