PDA

View Full Version : Native American Indian Dogs

PalominoMorgan
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:05 PM
Anybody have a NAID? I go next weekend to pick up an 8 week old puppy who I will raise as service dog for myself. I decided on this breed after LOTS of research and based on a recommendation from a service dog trainer/friend. I have been fund raising like crazy the last few weeks and am REALLY excited to go pick her up next Saturday. I selected her out of a few the breeder recommended to me for my needs; service dog who can do some alerting, retrieving, and will be large enough to do mobility work when mature.

Anybody else have a NAID?

lilitiger2
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:34 PM
Wow, Ithought you were going to say you were getting a rez dog and I was thinking good luck with that! Myhusband is Native and we head to the rez a lot (tons of dogs). Didn't know NAID was actually a breed! Cool!!

alto
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:45 PM
Don't forget to post photos over in The Menagerie when you get him :)
& if you're a blogger, try for something like
365 Days A Puppy (http://365puppy.blogspot.ca/) (she's obviously a photographer)

PalominoMorgan
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:05 PM
Will do. Here is a picture of her from the breeder a few weeks ago.

http://i39.tinypic.com/34xrev7.jpg

Her name will be Talvi, which is Finnish for winter.

Kryswyn
Apr. 7, 2012, 04:03 PM
I'm so torn over what to write. One one hand I always love to congratulate people when they get new companions. Especially when that companion will be a working dog. And after reading about your condition I can't help but feel like I probably shouldn't write anything because as hard as I try I can't help but want to scream "What are you thinking???"

The NAID is a recent breed created by ONE breeder who has now approved just SIX other breeders. To me it seems she trademarked the name NAID because Majikal Butterfly Farting Gypsy Vanners had already been taken, and Mutt was too commonly used to trademark. And who would buy a Markel Dog? But say Native American and most Americans get this fuzzy warm nostalgic romantic feeling similar to hearing the word 'Gypsy'. She is trying to recreate a breed that was never even a breed to begin with and playing on peoples' emotions.

Your puppy is very cute, please, please believe me. But I can NOT believe you can't find a suitable service dog candidate closer to you. One that will be available for a simple adoption fee, not the hundreds if not thousands your breeder will be charging you. One that is ready to train NOW not having to wait months before it can grasp the finer points of assistance. Most of the assistance dog groups I know of ONLY use dogs found in shelters.

I understand you will be training this dog yourself with the help of professional trainers. I think that will be very rewarding. But I can't see myself helping you fund this purchase from a breeder I suspect is in it for personal glory and profit. You say you've done research, and I don't doubt that, but in what I could find in a quick recce this breeder of dogs is NOT anyone I would SELL a pup to, let alone buy one from.

Good luck with your pup.

jetsmom
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:20 PM
I'm so torn over what to write. One one hand I always love to congratulate people when they get new companions. Especially when that companion will be a working dog. And after reading about your condition I can't help but feel like I probably shouldn't write anything because as hard as I try I can't help but want to scream "What are you thinking???"

The NAID is a recent breed created by ONE breeder who has now approved just SIX other breeders. To me it seems she trademarked the name NAID because Majikal Butterfly Farting Gypsy Vanners had already been taken, and Mutt was too commonly used to trademark. And who would buy a Markel Dog? But say Native American and most Americans get this fuzzy warm nostalgic romantic feeling similar to hearing the word 'Gypsy'. She is trying to recreate a breed that was never even a breed to begin with and playing on peoples' emotions.

Your puppy is very cute, please, please believe me. But I can NOT believe you can't find a suitable service dog candidate closer to you. One that will be available for a simple adoption fee, not the hundreds if not thousands your breeder will be charging you. One that is ready to train NOW not having to wait months before it can grasp the finer points of assistance. Most of the assistance dog groups I know of ONLY use dogs found in shelters.

I understand you will be training this dog yourself with the help of professional trainers. I think that will be very rewarding. But I can't see myself helping you fund this purchase from a breeder I suspect is in it for personal glory and profit. You say you've done research, and I don't doubt that, but in what I could find in a quick recce this breeder of dogs is NOT anyone I would SELL a pup to, let alone buy one from.

Good luck with your pup.

I agree. Plus it looks like a Husky mix type dog, and Husky type breeds are known for being pretty independent and not the easiest dogs to train. Plus the exercise requirements are pretty high for most Husky type breeds. Not usually the best service type dogs.

PalominoMorgan
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:33 PM
Well, I did scour all over for a suitable adult dog. Inquired about more than a few, had home checks, a home visit with a Rottie, etc. For a variety of reasons none of these dogs were suitable. Given my height and weight requirements and a desire not to have a Great Dane there are limited options.

My choice was made after much research and the recommendation of two service dog trainers. I understand that not everyone is a fan of the Nordic type breeds. I had an Elkhound growing up and found her to be very trainable. Of course she would never have gone for the click/treat method that is so popular in the SD world.

So, yes I did try to adopt a rescue but it wasn't in the cards. I even looked at a puppy of an AKC breed but decided against it for several reasons. The truth is that a lab or retriever just isn't going to cut it for me. It wouldn't be fair to the dog given my height and weight.

I also read all the negatives online about this breeder. I also have a trusted advisor who visited the facility. I put more stock in her input than online reviews. So, flame me for your choice if you like but I was asking if anyone had a NAID on the off chance someone else did. Negative input is noted, but still doesn't change my decision.

GraceLikeRain
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:02 PM
By fundraising do you mean that you asked people to donate money so that you could buy a designer husky to train as a service dog instead of going through any number of service dog associations or going with a standard breed your rescued?

I am confused that you repeatedly emphasize that the height and strength of the dog is a huge concern. The Song Kennel woman who seems to have created these breed by indiscriminately breeding every wolf and husky type mutt seems fairly adamant that a "true northern type is never over 75 lbs."

In this size range you could have chosen from poodles, any number of labradoodle/goldendoodle types, german shepard, dobie, etc.

Have you looked into the different service dog groups and asked for breed recommendations? I am sure they could recommend legitimate breeds or even regulated crossbreds like labradoodles that could meet your needs.

www.servicedogassociation.com/
www.iaadp.org/
www.americanservicedog.com/AmericanServiceDog_content.html
www.psychdog.org/
www.naservicedogs.org/
www.assistancedogsinternational.org/membersstatecountry.php

GotGait
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:32 PM
Wolves and Huskies are not the most trainable animals. They are smart and stubborn. I don't know a thing about this breed, but if that's their pedigree I don't think they would make a good service dog.
I own a primitive breed and they don't think like more modern breeds who are more apt to be people pleasers. My dog's motto is: "What are you going to do for ME today?"
Of course, there are always exceptions, but I hope you are not setting this dog up for failure and you ending up with nothing but a frustrating experience. (That sentence got a little away from me there.)
Breeders can say all sorts of things to tout their dogs. Many of them do not care that they are selling someone a dog that is ill suited for them.

That is a very cute puppy.

MapleBreeze
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:48 PM
wow - opened this thread thinking you were adopting a rez dog. Good luck with your new puppy!