PDA

View Full Version : Gel nails -- do it yourself at home?

Altag
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:05 AM
What the easiest brand to apply? Easiest to remove without damaging your nails? Cheapest?

I looked up a bunch of brands online, but I have no experience with them.

Can anyone recommend a good *starter kit* to try it out? I really don't want to invest a ton of money in it if I decide it's not worth the hassle.

But no, I know a salon won't work for me, I had acrylic nails for a while YEARS ago and it was a pain to constantly have to make it to appointments, have to use a bandaid to cover up a broken nail until I could get in and get it fix, and so on. :no:

pal-o-mino
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:15 PM
i go 3-4 weeks between gel appts, and even then it's because the nail grew out so much it bugs me. no problem at all with cracks or lifting or any of that stuff.

I don't know if i would try it myself at home, only because i know i would get gel everywhere. LOL

BuddyRoo
Apr. 7, 2012, 04:09 PM
My colleague got hers professionally done twice now for about 20 bucks a pop and loves them.

We are now selling one called Red Carpet Nails and it's a DIY deal. I watched them demo the application and it looked very comparable to the pro job.

I personally don't like using that stuff, but for those who like gel nails, I think that there are some DIY options out there that are pretty reasonable.

Altag
Apr. 9, 2012, 09:45 AM
Has anyone actually done a gel nail manicure at home? I'd really love to hear from someone who has experience with it. :yes:

Palomino -- 3 or 4 weeks?? Wow, how do you maintain it during that time? If you left it alone, wouldn't the bottom edge have grown halfway up to the white of the nail by then? Do you fill it in with gel polish? Sand it down? :confused::confused::confused:

BR -- Thanks, hadn't heard of that brand. I googled it and found it at Ulta.

Are the starter kits worth it?

Does an LED light really make a big difference?

Where'sMyWhite
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:49 AM
I have mine professionally done and get a rebase every 3 weeks simply because they get too long. The product I get has 'color' added to the powder so I get all different kinds of "french" tips, including small pieces of mylar.

If one breaks, 5 Second nail glue (or similar) is your friend. Even if the break is in the quick, I glue the heck out of it... stops bleeding, etc and then my nail lady can fix it next time I'm in.

I personally wouldn't bother with a home gel kit.

olympicdreams04
Apr. 9, 2012, 02:38 PM
I get mine done professionally a few times/year and they usually last close to 6 weeks. I am a professional rider and farm manager so I am hard on my nails but I.do wear gloves religiously while riding. They use the Gelish brand at my salon and I usually get french.

rustbreeches
Apr. 9, 2012, 02:54 PM
I did mine at home a few times, years ago. It isn't hard, but you have to be really good with your non-dominant hand. The kits are simple, and if you get it too thick you can buff it down.