PDA

View Full Version : Sale barn suggestions?

AlyssaSpellman
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:53 AM
If there's actually such a thing as posting on COTH too much, I definitely do it. :lol:

I'm looking for a sale barn to send a med. pony to after she recovers from an injury (if a fellow COTHer who was interested before the injury doesn't end up leasing her). I figure I’ll be better off having someone else sell her for me as opposed to doing it myself, and it’ll be one less thing I have to deal with. I’d really love to find one in or near NY to keep her closer to home (because I’d really like to be able to watch some kids try her, see who she ends up with, etc.) but I’d be willing to ship anywhere if it was the right fit. I’d prefer that she be somewhere with at least one “kid” rider.. it irks me when I see adults making sale videos on ponies. Preferably somewhere that does A shows, too.. I'd pay for her to be shown in the children's a few times as I want the miles on her.
If it helps, I’m trying to sell her as a pony who can move a kid up through the levels, from short stirrup to the division. Any suggestions on where to send her?

findeight
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:17 AM
How much can you afford to spend on
"training board"? Meaning her board and the rides she will need by either trainer and/or client kid Pony jocks under trainer supervision??

You have some very good trainers near you who can get the Pony out and show it to get it sold BUT they will charge you monthly.

Back when, they took sale horses on spec/consignment-and took their costs out of the sale proceeds. Today they have to carry them too long to get them sold so have to charge monthly. Besides that, those consignment deals are rife with fraud opportunities, pay as you go is better for both sides. With a written contract signed by adults on both sides.

AlyssaSpellman
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:59 PM
How much can you afford to spend on
"training board"? Meaning her board and the rides she will need by either trainer and/or client kid Pony jocks under trainer supervision??

You have some very good trainers near you who can get the Pony out and show it to get it sold BUT they will charge you monthly.

Back when, they took sale horses on spec/consignment-and took their costs out of the sale proceeds. Today they have to carry them too long to get them sold so have to charge monthly. Besides that, those consignment deals are rife with fraud opportunities, pay as you go is better for both sides. With a written contract signed by adults on both sides.

I'm not entirely sure how much we (we meaning my grandma :lol:) want to spend, as I'm not sure how much barns are charging for training board. I probably should have asked that, too.
I'm only hoping to get around $25-30k for her (which is less than we originally planned because of the setbacks we had with her getting hurt) so I'd hope to not spend more than $1,500/month. But again, I have no idea what people usually charge. Am I expecting to pay too little, too much, or does that seem about right?

findeight
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:44 PM
Nice to see you are realistic. That should get a Pony into a reasonably good show barn with a good reputation in your area. One that can do the job and get it sold.

Oh, you could spend more but I don't think you need to.

Make sure she is fully rehabbed and in full work before you send her to save paying 1500 a month for rehab and conditioning. Timing when you send her is important too, most of your better known shows are in summer? Right? If you can't get her there by this summer, I'd honestly wait until early next year. Winter is pretty dead for selling Ponies...unless you send her south.

I'm thinking a 3 to 6 month time frame to improve the Pony, get some shows in her and get the word out she is for sale...may have to make some price adjutments along the way...up or down depending on how she is doing.

It's not really so easy selling mid priced horses theses days. Cheap or way up there seem to go easier.

osgoka01
Jul. 23, 2012, 04:30 PM
So it looks like my job may be relocating me this winter and I may have to sell my lovely little PreGreen horse to simplify my move.

While I have a trainer/rider at the shows, I do most everything with her on my own at home. That said, I don't really have the time/patience to market & sell her.

Any recomendations for a good sales barn in MA/CT or NY?

I'm not 100% willing to part w/ her so I'm just quietly beggining to look into my options.

STA
Jul. 23, 2012, 05:55 PM
You might try Ralph Caristo near HITS in NY.

mroades
Jul. 23, 2012, 06:23 PM
Madison Hills in Cleveland Ohio has a pretty awesome pony program going. I can PM you info if you are interested