PDA

View Full Version : Getting horse hair off saddle pads

northerhunter
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:51 AM
I've decided that it's time to do some spring cleaning, so all my saddle pads, polos and towels have come home to get washed. Since I ride a grey everything I own is COVERED in white hair. Is there any foolproof method for getting hair off before I throw everything in the washing machine. Or is it best to try the lint roller on everything first?

Satin Filly
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:57 AM
You could try a grooming brush, but I'd say a lint roller or wide tape is probably more effective.

Libby416
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:05 AM
I actually vacuum my saddle pads before putting them in the washing machine. Crazy I know, but it works :-)

Satin Filly
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:07 AM
Duuuuhhh....why couldn't I think of that?! lolol

Hunter Mom
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:06 PM
A curry comb works well, too. A lot will come out in the dryer too.

Preposterous Ponies!
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:08 PM
Shad N' Blade. Works like a charm.

shadowanne
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:03 PM
Wash your pad with leather therapy. It leaves a wax-like finish (not in an icky way) and hair mostly slides off.

JumpingAddict93
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:50 PM
Have to agree with the vaccum...my SOs mom does this before she washes my saddle pads

easyrider
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:16 PM
I use a dandy brush.

horsepoor
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:23 PM
Brush or vac.

skippy60
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:28 PM
Dandy brush or vacuum. Vacuums quicker...

Rel6
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:13 AM
Have to agree with the vaccum...my SOs mom does this before she washes my saddle pads

Wait...your SO's mother washes your saddle pads? Thats a good (future?) mother in law.

T-storm chick
Apr. 8, 2012, 03:51 AM
Dandy brush or some other stiff bristled plastic brush...vacuum like crazy...into washing machine!:lol:

copper1
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:08 AM
Wait...your SO's mother washes your saddle pads? Thats a good (future?) mother in law.

Yeah, marry the guy NOW!

Tehzebra
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:05 AM
A shedding blade, stiff dandy brush, cat brush.... they all work pretty well. Never tried the vacuum... but sounds like a much easier way. xD

Related question: what about getting hair off of fuzzy girths? All the above methods tend to just fluff it up instead of get the hair out.

Adamantane
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:09 AM
Related question: what about getting hair off of fuzzy girths? All the above methods tend to just fluff it up instead of get the hair out.

Was just thinking about that yesterday.

sschuessler
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:04 PM
Was just thinking about that yesterday.

For my fuzzy girth, I vacuum it followed by washing it. and es, the hair does not come out. So, then it goes back to being vacuumed again and that works pretty well. I made simple fleece tubes to use over my girth at home while schooling so now I just wash the covers after every ride. It's actually not as bad as it sounds... I made about 10 tubes so I only have to wash them once a week or so. The hair comes off of those much better!

ser42
Apr. 11, 2012, 08:55 AM
None of the above seem to work for my woolly mammoths' winter coats- I haven't shown the last couple of years so haven't been clipping :eek::eek:

I've just resigned myself to having to buy new washer/dryers much more frequently :lol::lol:

Tivas_a_Diva
Apr. 11, 2012, 10:32 AM
I have one of these and find it works pretty well.

http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/rubber_brush.htm?gclid=CP-9iM2Bra8CFQ2FhwodFzNxnw

Also like the vacuum idea! Why didn't I think of that too?!?!? :lol:

Rebels_Princess
Apr. 11, 2012, 10:37 AM
I always just used duct tape. Make a loop of it around your hand and pat it against whatever needs de-haired.

Chouteau
Apr. 11, 2012, 10:40 AM
I have a grey too, everything is a mess right now with the hair everywhere, it's driving me crazy. (I love my black Ecogold Memory foam pad so much it has it's own lint roller for after every ride...)