PDA

View Full Version : The Religious Folk that stop by....

knightrider
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:00 AM
Not sure if this is politically incorrect or not, and I haven't been home when these people come on my new property, but I get religious pamphlets every week on my door when I'm not home. I haven't posted no trespassing signs yet as there isn't a good spot to post them, but these folks have scared the living daylights out of me when I've housesat at a friends farm who has all kinds of no trespassing signs.

I respect their religion however have my own faith and church, but I don't like them coming to my house unannounced and I feel horrible when they were at my friends farm and scared me and I told them to leave. I was in the middle of nowhere and had no idea if they were legit or not and was on a timetable to get things done and couldn't talk anyway...

Is there a good way to handle people coming to the farm? I don't want to be mean to these people, but at the same time, I'm not interested in becoming a mormon either...and most of these folks are mormons in my area who go door to door.

Is this awful of me?

Alagirl
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:03 AM
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347574
:cool:

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:10 AM
On the walkway up to your house, paint a chalk outline of a body such as from a crime scene. May add some red paint for effect, then toss a few religious pamplets around it. See if they're brave enough to venture forth then.

Alagirl
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:16 AM
On the walkway up to your house, paint a chalk outline of a body such as from a crime scene. May add some red paint for effect, then toss a few religious pamplets around it. See if they're brave enough to venture forth then.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

mayfair
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:46 AM
I got rid of some persistent ones by bringing up molester priests (not their religion but the discussion sent them on their way). Bring up something really uncomfortable and they will leave.

atr
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:15 AM
They will generally leave if you ask them to, but I do understand how you feel. I don't want strangers wandering on to my farm, and especially not when I'm home alone.

If it's always Mormons, call the local Mission President (the local bishop should be able to help you out with a contact number) and explain how you feel to him. He can direct his troops somewhere more potentially fruitful.

Alagirl
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:26 AM
I got rid of some persistent ones by bringing up molester priests (not their religion but the discussion sent them on their way). Bring up something really uncomfortable and they will leave.

Invite them to the barn as you have sheath cleaning to do?

Long Spot
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:49 AM
I've been told by someone that if they are JW's, and you tell them you were a JW previously but have left the church and the faith, they will leave and never return. They are not allowed to talk to people who have left the church, apparently.

Don't know if that's true or not. Never tried it. I usually email whoever has left the pamphlet and ask them to not return or send any mailings. If they leave or send more, I send an email with the words "harassment" included. That's worked.

Daydream Believer
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:36 AM
I used to have a close friend in High School who was a JW. She said that once the brothers and sisters went to a home and a man answered the door utterly naked. The sisters retreated back to the car and the brothers remained to talk to the man...so answering the door in his birthday suit didn't work on this bunch. I remember that story from so long ago as the mental image I got was just priceless. :lol:

Just wanted to say I'm a Christian but really am not fond of the door to door type stuff either. When they show up here, I walk out, thank them for the Watchtower and tell them I already have a church. That typically keeps them from coming back.;)

Luseride
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:49 AM
I will tell the that I have a church that I am very happy with. Once day I did have a moment and when asked why we celebrate Christmas I went into the entire Pagan holiday of Winter Solstice, history of the Catholic church and that Jesus was most likely born in March.

That was the last time I saw any JW.

There are advantages to being educated and loquacious. :)

MrWinston
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:21 AM
Years ago when we lived in an A frame with tons of windows, the JWs would come by every Sunday morning just as we were eating breakfast. We had a long driveway and I would see them from a distance and say, "here they come AGAIN!" There was no way to ignore them because they would come up the steps and be looking through the window into our living and dining rooms. I started out being polite but it soon became exasperating and I had to become very rude. I told them to leave and never return or I would consider them trespassers and call the police as soon as I saw their car coming up the drive. I called their church and left a message to the same affect and called the police to let them know that I would be calling in the event that they returned. The officer I spoke with was laughing and told me that his wife had done the same thing. I think they have a lot of nerve to intrude on other's in the name of their religion.

maunder
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:25 AM
While I respect their right to worship as they please, I do not like them coming up my driveway and selling their religion. I used to have a handy dandy very large goat that would circle their vehicle and not let them out, but she has passed away.

Even my "neighborhood witch" and "witch parking" signs don't deter them so pretty soon I'm putting up a "no soliciting" sign and then calling the local Kingdom Hall and kindly telling them that I want their visits to stop.

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:43 AM
I tell them to look around this world and see what religions have done and are doing, from making lawbreaking trespassers of them in front of me, to blowing people up in the name of some god.
Who would want to be part of that?:eek:

I tell them if they don't leave immediately I will call the sheriff and have them prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law they are breaking.:yes:

They really are just one more trespasser out there breaking the law and really, who knows who they are and what they are after?
If your religion expects you to break laws, what kind of religion is that to follow, be it trespassing or blowing people up?:confused:

Plus, like any other trespasser out there, they are a liability if one of them get hurt on your land.:no:

Aven
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:49 AM
I have enthusiastic JRTs and a slightly muddy driveway. I just let them 'accidentally' get out of the house to jump all over them in their nice clothes. Now they just leave their pamphlets in my mailbox.

partlycloudy
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:55 AM
...'to blowing people in the name of God"
Sorry, but your typo cracked me up!:lol:
What church is this!!???

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:00 AM
What church is this!!???

Fixed it, I think, I am not sure?:confused:

I don't know what church those belong to, but if they come thru a well posted gate, full of no trespassing signs, over a cattleguard, drive a mile to the house, they are trespassing, whoever they are.
No telling what brand of religion they are pushing.

partlycloudy
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:05 AM
I think you should have just left it...funnier that way

tasia
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:06 AM
Front gate. I love my front gate :) They hang their pamphlets on the gate and I throw them out :)

JumpingAddict93
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:34 AM
Have you told them you are not interested? Especially at your new property? They sill come back every so often incase something has changed in your life that results inyou being interested. If it were Jehovahs Witnesses they were passing around a flyer for the memorial that was thursday night. I go up to the kingdom hall when i can and still got one in my door. Have you taken a pamphlet before to be nice? Well thats when they think your interested and dont want to miss a single person incase they are searching for a religion.
In my oppinion i dont think people should be posting about this subject because then everyone churps in on how annoying they are and it offends people. You dont know how many JW on here. And im sure most of them wouldnt complain about this post just let it go cause they dont argue.
Im not a JW but dont appreciate the complaints...the little jokes about leaving the stuff everywhere or coming to the door in your birthday suit...thats just ignorant

LauraKY
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:39 AM
I have enthusiastic JRTs and a slightly muddy driveway. I just let them 'accidentally' get out of the house to jump all over them in their nice clothes. Now they just leave their pamphlets in my mailbox.

You know it's illegal to leave anything but U.S. Mail in the mailbox. It has to have postage and it has to have gone through the post office. Report them to the post office. Postmaster will tell them to stop.

My brother had a solution. He answered the door. JW put his foot in the door to keep the door from closing. My brother heard several low growls behind him and the clicking of dog nails on the floor. He turned to see his four dogs...all black...2 labs, a chow and a black and tan English mastiff heading towards the door. He turned back to the door (seconds, mind you) and the proselytizer had jumped off the porch down the sidewalk and was already in the street. Never came back.

We don't have a problem because my dogs have a barking frenzy when anyone rings the doorbell. Neighbors and friends come to the back door. Strangers ring the bell.

JumpingAddict, I completley disagree. You and the rest of the citizens of our country are free (at least for a while) to practice whatever religion they want. When you attempt to jam it down my throat, I get offended. No trespassing and no soliciting signs apply to everyone...Mormans and JW included.

MrWinston
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:44 AM
Have you told them you are not interested? Especially at your new property? They sill come back every so often incase something has changed in your life that results inyou being interested. If it were Jehovahs Witnesses they were passing around a flyer for the memorial that was thursday night. I go up to the kingdom hall when i can and still got one in my door. Have you taken a pamphlet before to be nice? Well thats when they think your interested and dont want to miss a single person incase they are searching for a religion.
In my oppinion i dont think people should be posting about this subject because then everyone churps in on how annoying they are and it offends people. You dont know how many JW on here. And im sure most of them wouldnt complain about this post just let it go cause they dont argue.
Im not a JW but dont appreciate the complaints...the little jokes about leaving the stuff everywhere or coming to the door in your birthday suit...thats just ignorant

I find it hard to believe that anyone would defend the JWs when they blatantly invade the privacy of others, even when asked not to come back. Sorry if you are offended but I'm offended by people interrupting my peace and tranquility on my private property repeatedly.

Go Fish
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:02 PM
I figure there's something wrong with a religion that feels the need to go door-to-door to "recruit" the faithful. If your religion is "all that," then people should be flocking to the doors of your church.

My face should have one of those circles with a slash across it when religious "recruiters" show up at my door. There must be something frightening about my demeanor because they never come back. Maybe it's the "if you show up at my door again, I'll have your sorry behind arrested for trespassing" remark.

RHdobes563
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:06 PM
My ex-husband had a friend who finally had had it.

Friend worked night shift. JWs came to his house and woke him up twice, even after him telling them that he would WILLINGLY talk to them if they would come after he slept during the day. Finally, the THIRD time they woke him...

Now you got to picture this large man, kinda scary looking with an neatly trimmed but rather exotic looking beard. Said large man is soft spoken but can use his voice to advantage. Awakened once again, he speaks, pausing briefly for effect between each sentence.

"I worship Odin."

"I believe in human sacrifice."

"Have you ever SEEN a human sacrifice?"

They never bothered him again.

judybigredpony
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:07 PM
They open my farm gate...told them I was a pratising WITCH... been called one :)*****

pezk
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:20 PM
many yrs ago before my town had a leash law the JWs would come around and knock on the door. One day the dog was loose. I hear furious barking out front and look out the window to see the dog on the walk barking and barking at 2 JWs(mother and daughter) trying to advance up the walk. I knew this dog wouldn't bite so I watched for a moment. Inch by inch they advanced up the walk with the dog showing teeth and barking furiously. I decided to rescue them. In that moment I gained some respect for them. At the very least they had the courage of their convictions which is more than the vast majority of people have today. I'm an atheist so their preaching or anyone's preaching is lost on me but I still respect people who demonstrate their faith. Today, I simply don't answer the door. Doesn't matter what faith, the Pope himself wouldn't get any different treatment from me than the JWs.

carolprudm
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:47 PM
many yrs ago before my town had a leash law the JWs would come around and knock on the door. One day the dog was loose. I hear furious barking out front and look out the window to see the dog on the walk barking and barking at 2 JWs(mother and daughter) trying to advance up the walk. I knew this dog wouldn't bite so I watched for a moment. Inch by inch they advanced up the walk with the dog showing teeth and barking furiously. I decided to rescue them. In that moment I gained some respect for them. At the very least they had the courage of their convictions which is more than the vast majority of people have today. I'm an atheist so their preaching or anyone's preaching is lost on me but I still respect people who demonstrate their faith. Today, I simply don't answer the door. Doesn't matter what faith, the Pope himself wouldn't get any different treatment from me than the JWs.
FWIW the JW's refused to submit to certain laws in Germany in the 1930's and many were sent to concentration camps. Unlike Jews or Gypsies they were voluntary prisoners in that the ONLY thing they would have had to do to get out was to renounce their beliefs, it was not a matter of ethnicity. Few did, many died

JumpingAddict93
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:56 PM
JumpingAddict, I completley disagree. You and the rest of the citizens of our country are free (at least for a while) to practice whatever religion they want. When you attempt to jam it down my throat, I get offended. No trespassing and no soliciting signs apply to everyone...Mormans and JW included.

Ha!!! As soon as the government puts an end to religion... youll see it will just go downhill from there. Thats when youll be wishin you listened yo those Jehovahs Witnesses.
And the bible says to spread the good news. That is why they go door to door...and people do go to the JW on their own. You know beside some people actually search for religion. The witnesses just follow the bible, and "not to offend anyone" but JWs dont pick and choose what they want to listen to from the bible. Im not saying they are perfect because no body is... but hey at least they try..and you know they even call god by his name!! And im pretty sure they are the only religion to do that. So those of you that have an older bible, the new ones decided to take it out, say your grandmas bible...look up Psalms 83:18 see if it says god or JEHOVAH. Thats just one of many spots. Doesnt matter if you have a king jsmes version or what.
But you know this is my last post on this thread because its not worth arguing with you, just see how things follow through with this system of things. If you dont want the witnesses coming to your house maybe call the local kingdom hall and be polite...ya never know. :lol:

JumpingAddict93
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:59 PM
FWIW the JW's refused to submit to certain laws in Germany in the 1930's and many were sent to concentration camps. Unlike Jews or Gypsies they were voluntary prisoners in that the ONLY thing they would have had to do to get out was to renounce their beliefs, it was not a matter of ethnicity. Few did, many died

Im not good with dates but i take it this was during the haulacost? Just goes to show thier faith, stick to it no matter what

Tapperjockey
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:01 PM
I don't mind the religious people.. most of them are polite and don't try coercion as a tactic.

But good lord how many freaking fund raisers do the school's clubs have to do? And why is my neighbor's child in all of them? And the damn girl scouts.. I can't get away from them (and I thought they started selling cookies outside stores.. didn't know they could still go door to door). Oh and the boyscouts and the wreaths and the popcorn (I think it was for boy scouts). overpriced wrapping paper for band, frozen (disgusting) pizzas for 10.00 (that are 1.75 at the store) from the marching guard.. ughh!! I am going to stop answering my door.

carolprudm
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:35 PM
Im not good with dates but i take it this was during the haulacost? Just goes to show thier faith, stick to it no matter what

Yes

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 01:49 PM
---"Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingAddict93
Im not good with dates but i take it this was during the haulacost? Just goes to show thier faith, stick to it no matter what"---

Right, so do the suicide bombers.
Religions ask their believers to suspend rational thought, follow your religion, even if it makes you do crazy things, from small ones, like trespassing, to big ones, like killing the infidels, something plenty of christians of all stripes have done too.

There is a very good reason there is a separation of church and state.
Be scared if it ever fails, because the consequences will be terrible, as history shows us.:eek:

carolprudm
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:06 PM
---"Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingAddict93
Im not good with dates but i take it this was during the haulacost? Just goes to show thier faith, stick to it no matter what"---

Right, so do the suicide bombers.
Religions ask their believers to suspend rational thought, follow your religion, even if it makes you do crazy things, from small ones, like trespassing, to big ones, like killing the infidels, something plenty of christians of all stripes have done too.

There is a very good reason there is a separation of church and state.
Be scared if it ever fails, because the consequences will be terrible, as history shows us.:eek:
The JW's went to the concentration camps rather than sign up for the draft in Germany and refusing to give the official salute among other "offences". That's a bit different than becoming a suicide bomber.
BTW, I'm not a JW and certainly believe in the separation of church and state

ETA: Trespass laws vary by state. In some areas unless property is posted it means that trespassing is allowed

D Taylor
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:09 PM
Simply told them once to leave and not bother to come back and that I find their visit an intrusion on my property and time. They never came back. I was blunt and honest.

If they did return they would get one warning to leave or the sheriff would be visiting. They do not like folks that are up front and blunt. They are not looking for hostile interaction. They simply want easy recruits and gladly exit when you obviously do not fit their needs.

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:18 PM
The JW's went to the concentration camps rather than sign up for the draft in Germany and refusing to give the official salute among other "offences". That's a bit different than becoming a suicide bomber.
BTW, I'm not a JW and certainly believe in the separation of church and state

There are many places that you go to jail or labor camps if you don't pray to the local gods.:eek:
I grew up in one of those.

Darwin law to do what keeps you alive.;)

mysaygrace
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:24 PM
I find they don't like it much when our four dogs jump up on their car or when they get out jump up on them. We also have four goats & one keeps getting out, she sticks nearby & does a nice job trimming around the house, I decided while I'm home she can stay out & keep away uninvited solictiors, seems to work very well!!

tabula rashah
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:42 PM
we had them stop by one day and DH was out in the driveway under his race truck working on something so I'm pretty sure they didn't see him. Well, when DH is working on his truck I'm pretty sure that only every fifth word or so isn't an expletive and when something really doesn't go right, then tools start flying. Well apparently something wasn't going his way as they got out of the car and f's and tools took flight- I've never seen so many people get back in a car so fast- LMAO!
And for the pushy religious types who like to ask me if I've found jesus, I just reply "sure did. he was in my trunk when I got back from Tijuana" ;)

MrWinston
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:45 PM
Ha!!! As soon as the government puts an end to religion... youll see it will just go downhill from there. Thats when youll be wishin you listened yo those Jehovahs Witnesses.
And the bible says to spread the good news. That is why they go door to door...and people do go to the JW on their own. You know beside some people actually search for religion. The witnesses just follow the bible, and "not to offend anyone" but JWs dont pick and choose what they want to listen to from the bible. Im not saying they are perfect because no body is... but hey at least they try..and you know they even call god by his name!! And im pretty sure they are the only religion to do that. So those of you that have an older bible, the new ones decided to take it out, say your grandmas bible...look up Psalms 83:18 see if it says god or JEHOVAH. Thats just one of many spots. Doesnt matter if you have a king jsmes version or what.
But you know this is my last post on this thread because its not worth arguing with you, just see how things follow through with this system of things. If you dont want the witnesses coming to your house maybe call the local kingdom hall and be polite...ya never know. :lol:

God is referred to as Jehovah by Jews and born again Christians. That term is also altered in different languages but means the same thing. Thinking that if there IS a God that he would be petty enough to need a specific name is a good argument for human stupidity. Man underestimating/defining God.

ThisTooShallPass
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:49 PM
I haven't posted no trespassing signs yet as there isn't a good spot to post them,

I call BS on this. At minimum it is called being lazy.

Tape a No Soliciting sign to your front door if you have to. Staple No Trespassing signs to paint sticks & put them at your drive & walk way entries. See, no excuse that you do not have a fence, gate, whatever to use. You can put signs up if you really want to.

Since you HAVE talked to them, you should have told them NOT to come back. That you did not do this, well I do not feel sorry for you one iota.

We have them in our town too. Lady across the street loves them. I politely said I am not interested & please do not come back. They have respected my wishes.

Yes, I do have No Trespassing signs up, as they legally cover my arse on so many levels. The christians wanting to convert me to their sect are the least of my worries in regard to Trespassers.

There cannot be that many churches of their denomination around. Call them & politely give them your addy & ask them not to come by.

You still need those No Trespassing signs up for the actual criminals.

cowgirljenn
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:10 PM
Front gate. I love my front gate :) They hang their pamphlets on the gate and I throw them out :)

Here the local JWs open the gate, come up and leave their pamphlets on the door. I guess I will have to start locking the gate... and seeing if they climb the fence.

I actually don't mind talking to people about religion, but I HATE people opening my gate and coming up to the house. For all they know, the horses were out there and they just let them all out. Woe be to anyone who does that..

ClassAction
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:23 PM
I had them stop by once and they proselytized in French. Which I understood (somewhat) having taken French but it was so ... odd. Particularly as most everyone else on the block was Portuguese.

A friend of mine invites them in and debates them, point for point, and wins. They never come back.

sk_pacer
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:41 PM
The JWs finally quit bothering me, haven't seen hide nor hair of them for a few years now. What I did was threaten the stupid woman with welfare. It was a miserable day and the idiot sent a kid to the door, maybe 5ish, while she lurked around the corner of the house. I called her a coward and a few other descriptive words worthy of such an act, and told her to be on her way, and the next time someone came around, I would call welfare on them for child abuse. I am finally black listed by them again. The previous episode involved a prissy looking couple that came pounding on my door around 10AM and woke me up (night shift) and i cussed them out roundly, and suggested they get a real job rather than peddling their defeatist religion.

loshad
The witnesses just follow the bible, and "not to offend anyone" but JWs dont pick and choose what they want to listen to from the bible.

Don't be silly. Everyone picks and chooses what they pay attention to in the Bible. If The Year of Living Biblically taught me nothing else, it's that it is completely impossible to follow every single rule in the Bible.

I personally try to avoid stoning my neighbors no matter what they are doing on the Sabbath. I've been known to wear mixed fibers as well.:eek: And she's not my neighbor, but I have coveted someone's ass. She's got one of those cute little spotted mini donks. It's hard not to.

Alagirl
Here the local JWs open the gate, come up and leave their pamphlets on the door. I guess I will have to start locking the gate... and seeing if they climb the fence.

I actually don't mind talking to people about religion, but I HATE people opening my gate and coming up to the house. For all they know, the horses were out there and they just let them all out. Woe be to anyone who does that..

for all they know you have 200 pound rottweiler lose on the ground....or a 1200 pound bull....

LauraKY
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:43 PM

My point was not that there is a possibility that the government would put an end to religion :confused:, but that if some had their way, there were be a state sanctioned religion, constitutional or not.

And, I don't really care what is written in the bible. Obviously, contrary to what you believe, there are many religions, some of them also believe they are the "one, true religion". IMO, there is something very wrong with a religion that will tell a non-believer that they are going to hell because they are: gay, believe in pro-choice, are not Christian, not the right kind of Christian, believe in evolution, believe in access to birth control....fill in the blank.

I don't have anyone coming to my door, except the occasional security system salesman. My dogs make an impression on anyone who rings the bell. Besides, I now live in evangelical land...no JW and the Mormons seem to stick to areas with the houses closer together. Works just fine for me.

Mara
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:58 PM
The dogs alert me that someone's at the door. I can peek out the window and if it's not someone I recognize, I ignore them. Works well on God-botherers, salespeople, pretty much anyone.

Frank B
Apr. 7, 2012, 04:11 PM
Just tell them you're a Baptist and stick a collection plate under their nose.

carolprudm
Apr. 7, 2012, 04:14 PM
http://www.candalaw.com/Articles/Overview-of-Virginia-s-Law-on-Liability-of-a-Property-Owner.shtml

specifically
Trespasser:
A “trespasser” is a person who intentionally and without consent or privilege enters another’s property. Generally, a property owner owes no duty to protect or safeguard an unknown trespasser from injury upon the premises. To a trespasser, an owner owes no duty to maintain his property in a safe condition. Likewise, there is no general duty on the part of an owner to prevent a trespass

and
http://virginiacriminallawyers.vatrafficlaw.com/pages/trespass.html

Virginia Code § 18.2-119 defines the crime of trespassing as follows:

If any person without authority of law goes upon or remains upon the lands, buildings or premises of another, or any portion or area thereof, after having been forbidden to do so, either orally or in writing, by the owner, lessee, custodian or other person lawfully in charge thereof, or after having been forbidden to do so by a sign or signs posted by such persons

jetsmom
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:35 PM
What church is this!!???

Catholic

gully's pilot
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:52 PM
In my neck of the woods it's more likely to be Baptists at the door than JW or Mormons, though I've had all three. Usually as soon as I tell them I'm Catholic they leave.

mvp
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:21 PM
I'm have a God and a spiritual life, though not a religious one. I'm almost a card-carrying atheist in my politics and lack of concern for everyone else's spiritual life.

Those qualifications noted, I have to tell you guys that the smug and snotty-- even dangerous-- brush offs you give to the proselytizers is offensive to me. I'm surprised to be offended, too!

Look, if it's a deep part of someone's spiritual development to go on a mission-- to offer the comfort of their religion to any and all-- then why give them a hard time about it? Let them do their thing while you do yours.

Were you asked to suffer deeply for the inconvenience of saying "Thanks, but no thanks" to these Mormons or Jehova's Witnesses who come to your door, I'd be much more ready to see them as the aggressors-- people "shoving their religion down your throat" as some of you put it.

When the Mormon's finance political campaigns, I'll object strenuously right along with you. That's not "live and let live" in the US with its Constitutional separation of Church and State.

But the person sent out to build themselves by promoting their religion door to door? That's not the right person to attack.

Grow enough of a pair to stand firm in what you believe. Any religion, firm atheism or common decency-based of code of ethics worth anything requires being as kind or as angry as the person in front of you deserves. Ferchrissakes!

Alagirl
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:26 PM
LOL, true, but sometimes even if you try to be polite about the thanks, nut no thanks, they can get a bit persistent.

Thankfully I don't come across them often....

MyssMyst
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:30 PM
They will generally leave if you ask them to, but I do understand how you feel. I don't want strangers wandering on to my farm, and especially not when I'm home alone.

If it's always Mormons, call the local Mission President (the local bishop should be able to help you out with a contact number) and explain how you feel to him. He can direct his troops somewhere more potentially fruitful.

With Mormons, this is the best and easiest solution. Just telling the two at your door doesn't always work since they get transferred throughout the area rather frequently. The mission president is usually around several years, and can pass the message on to anyone in your area.

JW's, well, I can't help you there.

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:30 PM
I'm have a God and a spiritual life, though not a religious one. I'm almost a card-carrying atheist in my politics and lack of concern for everyone else's spiritual life.

Those qualifications noted, I have to tell you guys that the smug and snotty-- even dangerous-- brush offs you give to the proselytizers is offensive to me. I'm surprised to be offended, too!

Look, if it's a deep part of someone's spiritual development to go on a mission-- to offer the comfort of their religion to any and all-- then why give them a hard time about it? Let them do their thing while you do yours.

Were you asked to suffer deeply for the inconvenience of saying "Thanks, but no thanks" to these Mormons or Jehova's Witnesses who come to your door, I'd be much more ready to see them as the aggressors-- people "shoving their religion down your throat" as some of you put it.

When the Mormon's finance political campaigns, I'll object strenuously right along with you. That's not "live and let live" in the US with its Constitutional separation of Church and State.

But the person sent out to build themselves by promoting their religion door to door? That's not the right person to attack.

Grow enough of a pair to stand firm in what you believe. Any religion, firm atheism or common decency-based of code of ethics worth anything requires being as kind or as angry as the person in front of you deserves. Ferchrissakes!

Are you really ignoring the elephant in the room, that those "following their spiritual life" are breaking the law by TRESPASSING?

When they are trespassing, they are interfering with the trespassee right to privacy.:(

BuddyRoo
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:33 PM
While I get the humor and such, I feel like some of these responses are just downright mean.

These folks aren't "harming" anyone by door knocking and they're trying to do what they think is right. I really don't think I could ever be outright mean even though I too find it annoying and disruptive. But I still don't feel like it's okay for me to be downright rude.

I've had several encounters. Some of which would make for pretty funny stories in fact. But I guess I respect "fellow man" enough to brush it off, accept the door to door stuff for what it's worth, and just be kind.

I may not be religious, but I DO believe in the Golden Rule and I feel like it's my responsibility to be kind and handle situations with grace rather than caustic tactics.

FWIW, I ALSO hate that kids come to my door selling food or magazines, asking for cans, or trying to get lawn mowing jobs. But I'm kind to them too. I just choose not to partake in it.

mvp
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:39 PM
LOL, true, but sometimes even if you try to be polite about the thanks, nut no thanks, they can get a bit persistent.

Thankfully I don't come across them often....

I dunno. I guess I have some big balls. I can say No Thanks harder or longer than they can say "Have some of X religion."

Are you really ignoring the elephant in the room, that those "following their spiritual life" are breaking the law by TRESPASSING?

When they are trespassing, they are interfering with the trespassee right to privacy.:(

You are right. They are invading your privacy. They are breaking the law-- just like every other uninvited guest who knocks on your front door. But suit the punishment to the crime, that's all. I think an argument that trots out The Law is overkill and cowardly in this case. Use your words and say No Thanks.

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:42 PM
I dunno. I guess I have some big balls. I can say No Thanks harder or longer than they can say "Have some of X religion."

You are right. They are invading your privacy. They are breaking the law-- just like every other uninvited guest who knocks on your front door. But suit the punishment to the crime, that's all. I think an argument that trots out The Law is overkill and cowardly in this case. Use your words and say No Thanks.

So you give them the right to break laws for the pursuit of their personal goals?:confused:

Alagirl
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:46 PM

well, they haven't converted me yet...:lol:

Tapperjockey
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:51 PM
So you give them the right to break laws for the pursuit of their personal goals?:confused:

Do you call the police on girl scouts hawking cookies or band students selling wrapping paper or boy scouts selling popcorn or a kirby guy selling a vacuum? Put up no soliciting signs, check the town ordinances, and say no if you aren't interested.

Alagirl
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:51 PM
Do you call the police on girl scouts hawking cookies or band students selling wrapping paper or boy scouts selling popcorn or a kirby guy selling a vacuum? Put up no soliciting signs, check the town ordinances, and say no if you aren't interested.

Those folks don't come by nomore...

MrWinston
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:05 PM
well, they haven't converted me yet...:lol:

Me either! But seriously, they came onto our porch and looked into our window at 8:30 a.m. MANY times on a Sunday morning. I did start out polite but it didn't work. I finally got rude and quite firm. I had to threaten them with the police before they stopped. We felt invaded and harassed. I have a right to have a nice breakfast with my husband without intrusion. I don't care a RA about anyone's religious beliefs but they need to keep them off of my property, especially at that time of the morning.

Now we have a front gate and a sign that has a Doberman silhouette, haven't seen them here. But we are in FL now and there are some very serious trespass laws here.

saultgirl
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:06 PM
And she's not my neighbor, but I have coveted someone's ass. She's got one of those cute little spotted mini donks. It's hard not to.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Aven
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:07 PM

I doubt you were really aiming that at me (the person who lets their happy little dogs jump all over the JWs and get dusty/muddy prints on them) BUT how do you know people haven't said 'no' politely and firmly many times over. I would say thank you but I have a religion already once a month for 2 YEARS. So I let my dogs out now. Really they live here too, you come to visit unannounced you risk happy dogs jumping over you, in your car etc. I don't mean that in a mean way, but if I am out around the farm with the dogs and you pull in and they spot you... They LOVE visitors.

Tapperjockey
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:10 PM
Those folks don't come by nomore...

Want the ones that come to my house? I don't get the religious ones anymore *sigh* I preferred them.

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:18 PM

No, those people respect no trespassing signs, don't drive for miles into someone's posted property to make "converts".

There were some crooks some years ago passing as some religious sect, going into places and casing them and then coming back later to steal.
The sheriff eventually caught them with a warehouse full of goods and religious pamphlets.

I am not talking about your friendly suburban neighborhood, but where people are living and making a living AND there are posted signs on entrances and generally a closed and locked gate, open for deliveries only and that is when trespassers try to sneak in, some up to no good.
Lately there have been several thefts again and everyone is asked to be watching closely.

Bacardi1
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:22 PM
They only visited me once when we lived in the mountains, & once when we moved to our current place.

Both times my pack of "hounds from hell" were barking their brains out behind me, & all I had to do was mouth thru the glass door "No thank you", & they left, never to return.

Alagirl
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:25 PM
Want the ones that come to my house? I don't get the religious ones anymore *sigh* I preferred them.

I trade them for the girl scouts...;)

mvp
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:26 PM

Thank you. Exactly.

Look, to take this all to the extreme, I think you'll have a tough time defending the argument that "Hey, I shot the guy because he was trespassing and that's simply illegal." It sounds great to cite the law chapter and verse, but enforcing it is another matter. You know that. I know that. Get off the stump that says you get to be overkill mean to someone who offends you when they-- yes-- technically break the law. It's not something a rational person will do, so what's the point in pretending?

I doubt you were really aiming that at me (the person who lets their happy little dogs jump all over the JWs and get dusty/muddy prints on them) BUT how do you know people haven't said 'no' politely and firmly many times over. I would say thank you but I have a religion already once a month for 2 YEARS. So I let my dogs out now. Really they live here too, you come to visit unannounced you risk happy dogs jumping over you, in your car etc. I don't mean that in a mean way, but if I am out around the farm with the dogs and you pull in and they spot you... They LOVE visitors.

I think your dogs are a nice defense in this case. But you can still "use your words," right? To the next prosolytizers, how about "You guys know how you come around always, fail to convert me and now get mugged by my dogs? That's on purpose! I said No. Now my dogs say No for me. Can't we just spare the agony and go our separate ways?"

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:32 PM
Thank you. Exactly.

Look, to take this all to the extreme, I think you'll have a tough time defending the argument that "Hey, I shot the guy because he was trespassing and that's simply illegal." It sounds great to cite the law chapter and verse, but enforcing it is another matter. You know that. I know that. Get off the stump that says you get to be overkill mean to someone who offends you when they-- yes-- technically break the law. It's not something a rational person will do, so what's the point in pretending?

I think your dogs are a nice defense in this case. But you can still "use your words," right? To the next prosolytizers, how about "You guys know how you come around always, fail to convert me and now get mugged by my dogs? That's on purpose! I said No. Now my dogs say No for me. Can't we just spare the agony and go our separate ways?"

Are you not the one overreacting here?
Who is taking of shooting them?
All we ask is that they respect the law that they are not to trespass, just as everyone else has to, how hard is that?
That their religion tells them to go forth to convert others doesn't mean they have now the right to break laws, any of them, small or large.

Do you also think the highway patrol should let them go if they are speeding, because they are going to convert lost souls?:lol:

Aven
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:35 PM
The issue is it wasn't always the same group (same religion though) I did tell them that I wasn't interested and I was no longer going to worry about keeping my dogs in when they came. One group seemed to love the dogs enthusiasm. Likely the most enthusiastic greeting they had ever gotten :D

NEWT
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:35 PM
I want to lighten it up.

Does anyone remember the sitcom Third Rock From The Sun? There was an episode where the JW came to their apartment and the family welcomed them in and sat them down on the sofa. Then they surrounded them, totally ENTHRALLED with what they were saying and trying to understand it. The father finally asked "So tell me Jehovah, exactly WHAT did you witness?". It was hysterical. :lol:

Okay, so maybe it was funnier in my memory and no so much typed out on COTH.

Tapperjockey
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:48 PM
I want to lighten it up.

Does anyone remember the sitcom Third Rock From The Sun? There was an episode where the JW came to their apartment and the family welcomed them in and sat them down on the sofa. Then they surrounded them, totally ENTHRALLED with what they were saying and trying to understand it. The father finally asked "So tell me Jehovah, exactly WHAT did you witness?". It was hysterical. :lol:

Okay, so maybe it was funnier in my memory and no so much typed out on COTH.

OMG.. I remember that one haha. I used to love that show!!

JenEM
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:50 PM
My condo complex is clearly marked with no trespassing/no soliciting signage, and all of the buildings are locked. In the years I've been there, I've seen nary a Girl Scout or vacuum salesman. What I have gotten are proselytizers of some stripe, who lucked out by knocking on my door when I was eagerly awaiting a UPS package, and only glanced quickly out the peep hole to see a guy in a dark outfit. Fabulous, UPS, I thought. Alas, it was two young men in dark suits. I told them I was quite happily an athiest, shut the door before they could say anything more, and haven't seen them since.

Given the large Muslim population in my complex (there's a mosque right across the street), along with a significant number of Catholic and Orthodox immigrants, I can't imagine their attempts at conversion went very well. Though I would really like to know how they got into the building in the first place. If I'd seen them again, my first call would have been to the management office.

threedogpack
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:15 PM
"I worship Odin."

"I believe in human sacrifice."

"Have you ever SEEN a human sacrifice?"

They never bothered him again.

Laughed right out loud at this. I'm going to remember it!

threedogpack
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:27 PM

I am offended by them. They show up at my door, un-requested and want my time. No. Just no.

not on my time, or my property. I don't want their paper garbage on my front door or steps and a few years ago, after they left their paper waste IN MY PORCH, they neglected to shut the door tightly. The wind caught the door, slammed it into the outside light, breaking it and splitting the door frame.

They need to not come back. Ever.

THAT is the person who needs to stay away from MY HOME. They are trespassing on my time and property and are unwelcome. I've been nice and told them not to come back but they are so hell fire sure I don't mean it, they ignore my polite requests.

threedogpack
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:30 PM
These folks aren't "harming" anyone by door knocking and they're trying to do what they think is right. I really don't think I could ever be outright mean even though I too find it annoying and disruptive. But I still don't feel like it's okay for me to be downright rude.

Send me money to fix my door, replace my light and buy the signs to keep them off my property.

They didn't latch my door, the wind caught it, smashed the outside light and split the frame.

stay. away. from. my. home.

threedogpack
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:40 PM
I am absolutely outraged by the people who come by here every damn week. Really. I've told them not to come back, so the next week they send someone else and I have to tell them. I finally called the church and got the secretary. I told her to tell her pastor or head of the church that if they came back, left their propaganda on my property, I was going to file on them.

and I meant it.

Now last week, an older gentleman stopped by, asked if I was the same person who requested they not contact me, I told him yes. He thanked me, said that sometimes people move and he just wanted to make sure I was still requesting no contact. It was polite, and observant of him. I had no problem with that.

My problem is the people who show up over and over and over, every week, or those who "just leave a pamphlet" to let me know I'm welcome to join them. No. I don't want it, and didn't request it.

As for GS or Kirby sales people. The GS who come here are kids I know. The Kirby people don't come anymore, don't know why, but it's been at least 4 or 5 years now.

mvp
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:45 PM
Are you not the one overreacting here?
Who is taking of shooting them?
All we ask is that they respect the law that they are not to trespass, just as everyone else has to, how hard is that?
That their religion tells them to go forth to convert others doesn't mean they have now the right to break laws, any of them, small or large.

Do you also think the highway patrol should let them go if they are speeding, because they are going to convert lost souls?:lol:

For the last time, you guys. Just match the No to the size invasion. Missionaries are somewhere in between girl scouts and muggers.

I was thinking about this because of the Trayvon Martin stuff brought up recently. Apparently, you are more likely to be shot and killed (with someone claiming 'self defense') if you are black rather than white.
That's why I'm verklempt about you guys fighting missionaries with rude fire.

Send me money to fix my door, replace my light and buy the signs to keep them off my property.

They didn't latch my door, the wind caught it, smashed the outside light and split the frame.

stay. away. from. my. home.

Oh my.

Didn't the wind play a part in the destruction? Or do you see malice behind your missionaries' neglect to close your door tightly? Hey, since they are With God, maybe they can ask Him about the wind.

threedogpack
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:48 PM
Oh my.

Didn't the wind play a part in the destruction? Or do you see malice behind your missionaries' neglect to close your door tightly? Hey, since they are With God, maybe they can ask Him about the wind.

I was at work when they showed up. The wind would not have been an issue IF THEY HAD NOT OPENED MY FRONT PORCH DOOR. I left it latched.

it was stupidity and lack of attention, not malice and I never once indicated or said it was. Never the less, it cost me over $150 to replace/repair the damage and the guy from the church told me they would not cover it.

loshad
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:51 PM
For the last time, you guys. Just match the No to the size invasion. Missionaries are somewhere in between girl scouts and muggers.

I was thinking about this because of the Trayvon Martin stuff brought up recently. Apparently, you are more likely to be shot and killed (with someone claiming 'self defense') if you are black rather than white.

Oh my.

It doesn't matter if they are malicious -- they were careless and something was damaged. It doesn't matter if it's malicious or not when they come by my house and wake up my baby. They are interrupting MY time in MY private space where they are not welcome. I'm a geographically single parent to an infant this year since Mr. Loshad is in Afghanistan. I work full time. I am exhausted. Anything that gets between me and sleep gets an unfriendly reception.

The girl scouts at least have the common decency to come in the afternoon and bring me cookies.

sketcher
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:52 PM
I will tell the that I have a church that I am very happy with. Once day I did have a moment and when asked why we celebrate Christmas I went into the entire Pagan holiday of Winter Solstice, history of the Catholic church and that Jesus was most likely born in March.

That was the last time I saw any JW.

There are advantages to being educated and loquacious. :)

I have a friend who nearly talked a few of them to death one day. I was there and saw it. I almost felt bad for them. Not only did she discuss and debate but when they clearly had enough they could not politely get away. My dear friend in NQR so there was a bit of crayzee going on with the talk. She had them pinned to her front doorstep for a solid hour. :D

Bluey
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:53 PM

Oh my.

Why bring that case up, that is still in the process of being investigated?
That "kid" was not just a "nice, innocent" kid, he had a history of drug dealing.
He also may have jumped the fellow trying to stop him.

The fellow stopping him had a history of being overzealous and was told to quit following the suspect.
Terrible that one was killed, will have to see the final report to assign any blame.

We don't know the whole story there, can't use it for an example either way.

These religious zealots ARE trespassing, breaking the law and the known requests of the owners not to be disturbed as per the no trespassing signs.
That is indefensible.

Equine Studies
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:58 PM
When I was a kid the JW used to come to the door. My father was polite and took the pamphlets. He was also an alcoholic and one time invited them in for a beer. Never saw them again. Now that I'm a grown up any time they come by (which is once in a blue moon) I just tell them I'm Roman Catholic. They don't need to know I don't actually practice, but I do have the baptismal and confirmation certificates somewhere to prove it.

A few years ago we had some older ladies tour around promoting family values. They asked if I lived alone and I said no. Then they asked if I was married and I said no. They asked who I lived with and I said my partner. They weren't sure I suppose if that meant male or female. There was an awkward pause until I broke the silence with "If it helps any, he's married". They took off and haven't been back. In my own defence they had been seperated since 1995 and I met him in 2003. They have been divorced since 2005.

I can't figure out in this day and age with the technology available to us, why door to door is still the preferred method of recruitment for some groups (religious, sales etc. etc.). So many people find it invasive, and even harassing. I don't have enough people come to my door to feel that way but I can certainly see how that view could change very quickly.

Renn/aissance
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:00 PM
I grew up in the middle of Cornfields, Nowhere and we got a lot of very nice middle-aged ladies from the Jehovah's Witnesses. My mom had pretty much had it as they were repeat visitors and she'd explained several times that she is Jewish, she was trying to raise her kids Jewish, and thanks but no thanks. One day some of the ladies came by when I was home alone with my sister. Unfortunately for them I was a right twit as a teenager. A right twit atheist teenager with a really bad attitude problem and a pretty good grounding in both Old and New Testaments as well as various other religions (figured if I was going to decide I didn't believe, I should know what I wasn't believing in.) We had a lovely conversation full of Biblical references and I'm pretty sure they'd thought they'd found a nice young girl to talk to when I casually broke out that I worshiped Ishtar. One of the ladies asked me about that, and I began to regale them with the story of Ishtar's descent to the underworld...

My mother hasn't had Jehovah's Witnesses by for some 10 years now.

Jerk move, but frankly, so is continuing to come by when you've been told several times that the only good news we really wanted to hear is that we won the lotto.

HighFlyinBey++
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:11 PM
I've only had one JW visit my apartment. I think it helps that I live in the "penthouse" of a mixed-use building on the end of a visual ghetto street! It's shabby, run-down and looks scary, but it's really filled with nice, courteous people.

The one visit we had was while I was on chemo, so I don't remember it clearly. I do recall the guy brought his little, little boy with him and my own son was disappointed he couldn't debate the guy.

I did have one JW visit while house sitting in West Virginia. The sight of me answering the door barefoot, in a holey barn T-shirt with rumpled hair and 2 very excited and very loud red coon hounds must have been priceless, given their :eek: very wide eyes. They declined to leave their information :lol:

RMJacobs
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:17 PM
I have two problems with the concept--trespassing on my property and refusal to accept the word no. No one here is talking about physically harming anyone--but many of us are frustrated and feel we have the right to prevent uninvited people from pestering us.

Back when we lived in suburbia, we were getting harrassed multiple times a week in spite of our request that we be left alone. My hubby got fed up and finally told the next two that came by "Hi, I'm so glad you are here! I need your home address immediately. I practice Santeria and want to share it with you by sacrificing a chicken in your front yard."

This from a guy who wouldn't kill anything (but he does have a wicked sense of humor). They finally got the point and stayed away.

Since we moved to horse property, I've been very clear that I am calling the sheriff on anyone who comes onto my property uninvited. It's that simple. I have the right to be left alone in my own home.

Rebecca

appdream
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:11 PM
Awhile back I had a visit and was asked "How is your sex life?" They left a pamphlet that was suposed to help.

The problem is I am currently being visited by a member who is my cousin's ex-girlfriend. From what she said to me, I believe the visits are actually a job. I think they are 7 Day Aventists.

Go Fish
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:51 PM
I did start out polite but it didn't work. I finally got rude and quite firm. I had to threaten them with the police before they stopped. We felt invaded and harassed.

Exactly. If you're nice to them, they consider that an open door and keep coming back.

Religion is highly personal and having someone else's version of the "truth" shoved at me on my own property is entirely different than a Girl Scout trying to sell me cookies. If I want your version of the "truth," I'll visit your church. If I don't show up, it means I'm not interested.

darkmoonlady
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:18 AM
I've been friendly to the young JW kids that are out on missions. I feel like they of all of the door knockers deserve the biggest break as they're young and away from home. The older ladies that show up I am polite to as well. I did meet some on the way home walking (in my case wheeling I'm in a wheelchair) home from the store and they stopped me to ask if I had met Jesus. I said oh honey I'm a unrepentent heathen so I'm going to hell don't worry" and just kept wheeling...I figure that is what they think mind as well speak it and get to the chase.

WNT
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:00 AM
I've always loved my dad's response when I was a kid in San Diego. I don't remember if it was JWs or Mormons, but he politely let them go through their spiel and just as politely replied "Thank you for the information, I will have to consult my druid first."

I don't recall any more religion peddlers after that.

Alagirl
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:05 AM
I've always loved my dad's response when I was a kid in San Diego. I don't remember if it was JWs or Mormons, but he politely let them go through their spiel and just as politely replied "Thank you for the information, I will have to consult my druid first."

I don't recall any more religion peddlers after that.

LOL, I was about to suggest something along the line of 'I am druid and it pains me to see all the trees you killed for your fliers'

or Shaman, or witch....:lol:

Bluey
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:06 AM
LOL, I was about to suggest something along the line of 'I am druid and it pains me to see all the trees you killed for your fliers'

or Shaman, or witch....:lol:

Or "Just a moment, there is some black magic here.
I need to spread my Tarot cards to read your future".:yes:

Tapperjockey
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:44 AM
If the same ones keep coming back.. I'm all in favor of answering the door nude and telling them I'm doing fertility rituals. However, I try the polite tactic first. I do not have a do not solicit sign posted (because sometimes I get door to door salesmen selling things I like or want. Electrolux and Kirby are big in this area, and as I have both already, it's nice because they usually have bags or belts and bags for the Kirby, in their car. I got a great set of Cutco Knives, and I love my saladmaster cookware!). But I wish the scouts and the high schoolers and such would leave me alone. And with the scouts, I don't think it would be appropriate to answer the door nude. (and I really don't like the cookies or popcorn!!). Maybe a sign just for them? lol.

bumknees
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:00 AM
Someone asked why not be nice to them and jut say no thankyou or something lke that. Well I tried more than once. Even when I was in college waaaayyyyy back in 83....
So I started debating with them. I read their books in hte case of mormans and marked passages that I debated with that I could make points and have them scratching heads thinking about things when they left.

I moved to another state after getting married. They became a bit more agressive, I started shutting doors in faces. When they started putting feet into my door jams That is when things started getting scary. got big dog. Like at 6mths of age when he ''stood up'' he could look over my 6'1" dh. We lived near the mexico/ us border anyway soooooo... Yeah... "No thank you" no longer worked.. I stopped answering the door they knocked longer louder until I called the security to have them escorted away lived in condo complex ungated.

Did not have any problems living on base when moved to oppsite coast.

But when moves a few hundred miles south of that particular base living out on town again the knocking began again. My not so big dog began barking and going ''cracker dog'' and nothing would deter them. absoultly nothing... Not being polite, not being rude, not threatening the police, not even no soliciting /no trespass signs... Finally I was talking ot some friends and we got in the JW/morman thing and they both said they had found a wy ot ''get rid'' of them for ever I went yeah right sure ya did... They found a way that apparently put them down on a list they mst share between eachother because upto thta time for several yars and more than 4 moves between them not one of either has knocked on their door(s).. ( both military famlies)..
Answer door. Allow them to introduce selves and do what ever and allow them to ask if you would like them to tell you about the word or what ever they use to witness to you. you very politley say no thank you. They will most likely go on about hte fire brim stone or just tell you about going ot hell.. At that point you get this evil grin, ring your hands, start to snivel a bit and say in a begging voice.." does this mean I get to meet the master?" They leave and never come back...
I tried it about 20 yrs ago.. I have not seen one on my door step since and that was mmm4 big moves/ 3 states ago.. I have seen them walk down my street cross the street to avoid my side walk then cross back after passing my house... but never on the sidewalk that passes right in front or on my porch... Have no idea why...

yv0nne
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:28 AM
They don't stop by too often where I live but when they do? I am kind& write blog posts (http://www.halfpastwonderful.com/2011/09/knock-knock.html) about their visits :)

Bluey
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:47 AM
They don't stop by too often where I live but when they do? I am kind& write blog posts (http://www.halfpastwonderful.com/2011/09/knock-knock.html) about their visits :)

That was good, thanks.:cool:

I would look frantically around them, then worriedly ask them where the police were.
When they responded, whatever they responded, I would tell them where I grew up, we had The One And Only Great Religion, all others were illegal to speak of much less practice.
The dictator went to Mass Every Morning, Every Day, to get God's advice directly how best to govern, while his thugs, many of them priests and all abided by the Great Church, made sure everyone obeyed The Great Good and it's servant the Great Dictator.
Some of the priests carried guns and beat people up and even killed them at will.
Priests were actively hated and would never dare go anywhere without police watching their backs, as in some places, they may not be seen or heard of again.

You are admitting to being religious people, that means government informants.
Where is the police, are you not scared?:eek:

I wonder what they would say then?
This is not this world?
Then I would bring the religious moslem countries up, where that is going on still today.

Who knows, may even get some to think what they are doing a bit more, where any religion fits in this world, that all is not as they thought it was, that if everyone had to live by what some religion preaches and anyone not a follower be persecuted, as it then would have to be to stay in power, maybe that was not such a good idea after all.:(
May even make some converts ... to rational thinking.;)

While religions have their place for their followers, it is not in making it be above the laws or worse, making IT The Law of the land and that is what those proselytizing are after.:(

Hey, I live deep in the Bible Belt and know that first hand, we even have now a Ten Commandment monument in the public court house lawn, against the expressed laws against it.:confused:

LauraKY
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:49 AM
Why bring that case up, that is still in the process of being investigated?
That "kid" was not just a "nice, innocent" kid, he had a history of drug dealing.
He also may have jumped the fellow trying to stop him.

The fellow stopping him had a history of being overzealous and was told to quit following the suspect.
Terrible that one was killed, will have to see the final report to assign any blame.

We don't know the whole story there, can't use it for an example either way.

These religious zealots ARE trespassing, breaking the law and the known requests of the owners not to be disturbed as per the no trespassing signs.
That is indefensible.

No, the kid did not have a history of drug dealing. His school found an empty bag containing traces of marijuana in his back pack. That doesn't make him a drug dealer. He had a bag of skittles and an ice tea. He was returning to his father's (girlfriends) to finish watching the game. He went to the store to get a snack. He looked suspicious to Zimmerman. The odds are he looked suspicious because he was black. Racism and stereotyping is alive and well in the U.S.

And yes, we'll have to wait until the evidence comes out in the trial, but if the whole situation had not been made public, there would have been no investigation. The police and the prosecutor in Sanford had already swept the whole thing under the rug.

kookicat
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:02 AM
I had a pair who used to turn up every Wed, at supper time. I'd said no, I'd locked my gate... nothing worked.

They turned up one day and I was on the yard. Rue had managed to take a chunk out of his lip and it was bleeding like stink. I heard the car, thought it was the vet and went of out the stable, covered in blood.

They fled without another word and I've never seen them since.

Bluey
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:08 AM
I had a pair who used to turn up every Wed, at supper time. I'd said no, I'd locked my gate... nothing worked.

They turned up one day and I was on the yard. Rue had managed to take a chunk out of his lip and it was bleeding like stink. I heard the car, thought it was the vet and went of out the stable, covered in blood.

They fled without another word and I've never seen them since.

You did put the fear of the devil in them.:eek:

I thought that, if we got some rubber chickens, those you get at the magic tricks store and hang them on the fence, they would think voodoo! and not come back.;)

Jynx
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:08 AM
One of my newer mottoes in life is:

"Don't make your problem my problem."

If you choose a faith/hobby/job that requires you to cold call people at their homes, their castle, their place of refuge and relative sanity, expect to have them react poorly. If I am interested, I surely can find someone to sell me anything you're selling. Why should I have to come up with any response other than "No, please go away." (<--even polite!) repeat if necessary.

Fortunately, I haven't been bothered much, and just say no, and when they ask to leave literature, I just tell 'em that I'll just throw it in the recycle bin. I think if they did get obnoxious, I'd pull out my cell and at the very least pretend to call the local constabulary. I should not have to even have to think about this. Sigh.

Same with other trespassers. When is your inabilty to respect others become my problem? I had a neighbor whose dog came over an killed some of my chickens. He offered to build a pen to keep the chickens in. I told him he needed to be responsible for his dog. he said I could shoot it, meaning with a pellet gun or such. Through tears, cradling a bloody chicken, I said that all I had was a twelve gauge, and that I didn't want to be a dog killer since it isn't the dog's fault.

Trixie
Apr. 8, 2012, 11:56 AM
I am offended by them. They show up at my door, un-requested and want my time. No. Just no.

This. I consider it incredibly invasive. I have the right to privacy in my own home, I don't care what it is you're peddling - religion, politics. Where I live we get more politics than religion. And if I tell you to go away and you return, I am entitled to my reaction.

FWIW, the only girl scout I get is my neighbor's kid, who I know and like. And when I was a girl scout, my mother sent me only to the houses of people we knew.

Mukluk
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:48 PM
I politely listen to what they say. I'm a tolerant sort. If they only knew that I'm an Agnostic on the edge of Atheist.

amastrike
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:06 PM
Perhaps open the door with "hey there, you're right on time for the orgy/swinger's party!"

I know I would run far and fast!

rustbreeches
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:32 PM
In Va, it was an old family friend that would bring us the watchtower, so no biggie. Recenty, Mama Breeches befriended the LDS missionaries assigned to her neighborhood. They helped with yard work and Christmas lights. She was bummed when I told her the reason they never came in for dinner was because she was a single woman alone in the house, and they were boys. She wondered why she always had to bring drinks and treats to the front porch! It takes all kinds

I live so far off the beaten path, I might convert to any religion willing to send people out here!

Wayside
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:45 PM
If I'm not expecting anyone, I don't feel obligated to answer the door.

But sometimes I'm feeling chatty, so I'll answer, and talk to them. About pretty much anything but religion. I'm very good at changing the subject. I'll ask about their pets, their kids, their hobbies, and so on. I've shown them around my garden a few times, and once I even sold one of them a necklace and a pair of earrings. :lol:

Alagirl
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:52 AM
In Va, it was an old family friend that would bring us the watchtower, so no biggie. Recenty, Mama Breeches befriended the LDS missionaries assigned to her neighborhood. They helped with yard work and Christmas lights. She was bummed when I told her the reason they never came in for dinner was because she was a single woman alone in the house, and they were boys. She wondered why she always had to bring drinks and treats to the front porch! It takes all kinds

I live so far off the beaten path, I might convert to any religion willing to send people out here!

Gotta be careful nowadays, as young innocent missionary...:lol:

Frizzle
Apr. 9, 2012, 03:42 AM
In my opinion, someone's religion, relationship with a higher power (or lack of relationship with a higher power) is one of THE most personal things. Like, almost as personal as your sex life. So, for someone to come to my house and try to convince me to join their religion and change MY personal beliefs? No. It's extremely offensive and insulting to me.

I have *my* religion and I don't try to push it on anyone else. Your relationship with God/Allah/Buddha/Vishnu/The Flying Spaghetti Monster/whatever is NONE of my business, and I would never try to tell you that you are wrong, or my religion is better, or what-have-you.

So, yes, when I see JWs in the neighborhood, it does get me a bit riled up. I've never been home when they've been here before (just seen the pamphlets they leave, which make my blood boil), and I'm not exactly sure how I would handle it--maybe ask them where they live so I can come over and tell them all about how my religion is the BEST religion EVAARR and leave all kinds of pro-my-religion propaganda all over their doors? (Not saying I would actually do this, as it's so obnoxious and offensive; just wondering how they would feel about having the script flipped and being on the *other* side of the door.)

Sorry, OP, guess I got off on a bit of a tangent. Not sure the most effective way of dealing with these people--maybe you could suggest they join you in your backyard for your naked Wiccan summer soltice ritual? :winkgrin:

knightrider
Apr. 9, 2012, 08:27 AM
To the poster that said this" Since you HAVE talked to them, you should have told them NOT to come back. That you did not do this, well I do not feel sorry for you one iota."

Let me clarify...I have talked to them at my previous home where there signs everywhere for no soliciting or trespassing. They would follow me with when walking the dogs on their bikes and not leave me alone. When I'm walking my dogs or in my house, I want my privacy. Repeated attempts at not interested just resulted in more persistence. So, I would often just say "no english" and act scared and say police or something. If I opened my mouth they would not go away...AT ALL.

At my new house, yes, I have not posted signs yet...I have no trees in front of the house where one could see the signs and my fencing is not done and I'm in a construction zone right now. So why should i have to repeatedly put up and move a sign every time I need to mow or the fencing guys need to do something on the property? Sorry, this is private property. I expect my privacy to be honored. I will put up signs when I actually have a permanent place to put it, which will be soon.

But regardless, everyone else respects my privacy? Why not these folks? I don't want them wandering in my yard..period.

rustbreeches
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:02 AM
Gotta be careful nowadays, as young innocent missionary...:lol:

:lol:;:lol::lol:

Last night when me and Grey Goose were having fun, this might have slid into a discussion of *ahem* positions ;)

But really, LDS men are not supposed to be alone in a house with a woman, and vice versa. Even if they aren't missionaries. I offered to pick up a good friend of ours, a bishop in the church, at the airport, and only later realized the spot I had put him in by offering. He didn't want to be rude, but he couldn't do it. There are a large numbr of Mormons in my industry that I am around alot, so we have started joking that my family and I are Saints by association

Alagirl
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:14 AM
:lol:;:lol::lol:

Last night when me and Grey Goose were having fun, this might have slid into a discussion of *ahem* positions ;)

But really, LDS men are not supposed to be alone in a house with a woman, and vice versa. Even if they aren't missionaries. I offered to pick up a good friend of ours, a bishop in the church, at the airport, and only later realized the spot I had put him in by offering. He didn't want to be rude, but he couldn't do it. There are a large numbr of Mormons in my industry that I am around alot, so we have started joking that my family and I are Saints by association

some days you are just more saintly than others! :winkgrin:

I suppose it sounds archaic to us now, but I suppose there could be worse things than not being allowed single people of the other gender.

But it's one more reason why organized religion is tickling my funny bone...same as the 'not toughing a women' thing.
In our culture context it is rude not to shake hands. In their culture context it's rude to do so...no win there.
(then compare that to our 'no male/male affection' rule and the Easter European people kissing each other on the mouth as greeting!)

Lieslot
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:36 PM
Haha, timely thread. And they just left.

I get weekly visits too.
I don't feel okay being rude to them. They are friendly, pat the horses and do their talk.
It does annoy me a little, but if it helps them feel better, well I figured I've done my good deed for the day by listening.

I'm amazed however that they keep coming back. Sometimes I wonder if I'm the gullable one thinking they'll give up or if they are the gullable ones thinking they'll convert me.
Told them hubby is an atheist and I'm roman catholic, with no intention to convert. So why do they keep coming back :confused:
They leave me with watchtower magazines and have given me a bible study booklet etc. They insist on reading some bible passages, okay I listen halfheartedly and wish them a nice week.
They have invited me to meetings to which I told them I will never attend, but they nevertheless continue to ask.

I kind of feel for the youngers ones, if they are raised in a JW family, they have no choice really.
My cousin fell in love with a JW girl, her parents were vehemently against the relationship. They tried to convert my cousin (no luck), then the girl got very ill and needed a bloodtransfusion, which her parents refused or so (seems they have some rules about that), with the support of my cousin's family she broke with her parents, got the necessary medical treatment, converted to catholicism & they are still happily married 20 years later.

So especially when I have some younger JW members visiting, I can't get it in my heart to be rude, so I just politely listen and then get on with my day again.

I would love to hear the real end of their story one day. It seems to me, when you are stuck in that system it's rather hard to get out, I'm not convinced all JW are happy in their believes.

JSjumper
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:39 PM
I have an oversized great dane who hangs out on the front porch most of the time I'm home who doesn't like strangers walking up to the house unless I tell him that it's okay. I don't tell him it's okay.

They keep walking.

BabyGreen
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:45 PM
I'm a non-Mormon raised in SLC, so am very familiar with their missionaries. I always feel a little sorry for them (they are usually young men under 20, first time away from home and for 2 years), so I will talk with them about their families and to find out where they were raised. Then, I explain that I'm not interested in joining the church, and that's that.

With the JWs, depends if I'm in the mood to talk to them. Usually, I just tell them to leave the Watchtower and I will read it later and they depart, post haste.

Flagstaff Foxhunter
Apr. 9, 2012, 02:34 PM
Haven't had to deal with any for a couple of years, but I told the last two I was an Atheist and to keep off my property and that seemed to work. It was a skeezy looking middle age male who stayed in the minivan and sent a pair of meek, pathetic looking teen girls up the porch, wearing long hair and skirts. I really wanted to ask them if they had been abducted or were being coerced. Sickening. Brain dead little victims.

I view this intrusion exactly as I do telemarketers. If I believed in hell I would happily consign all of them there. Maybe I could wish them to Walmart on Black Friday.... Magical thinking, woo hoo, maybe I'm a believer after all.

Anyone who ever responds favorably to a door to door saleperson or a telemarketer is making this a miserable world for rational folks who wish to be left alone. If I want or need something I know how to find it on my own. I have ZERO empathy for intruders of any stripe.

eclipse
Apr. 9, 2012, 02:39 PM
I had two that just wouldn't take "no I'm not interested, please don't come back" to heart. So the next time they came to my door, I threw on my red housecoat, grabbed a candle and looked them in the eye and said "I'm just in the middle of praying to Beezlebub my lord and satan master....would you care to join me" :lol: I haven't seen them since! :D :D

Love My TB Consent
Apr. 10, 2012, 01:42 AM
I haven't had to deal with them since I was a teenager, but they would come by during the days in the summer when I was alone. At first I would open the window (that was only able to open about 3 inches due to an extra lock) that was the farthest away from the front door, and had a huge garden in front of it. They didn't get far but would leave their pamphlets in the door so I could get them when they left. Honestly, they didn't scare me, but it was odd to me that I acted as though they did and they kept coming.

Well, I just started ignoring their knocking. It honestly pi$$ed me off so much that they had the nerve to look in a window that I would sit right there, watching tv, and pretend like I couldn't hear them knocking and didn't know they were there. They seemed to leave sooner, and they stopped coming as much.

I don't mind them, but it was really disturbing to me that they would continue to show up when my parents were working. :no: