PDA

View Full Version : Pretty, not-wack-expensive paddock boots? Like, now?

mvp
Apr. 6, 2012, 07:59 PM
I live in a tack wasteland.

I haven't bought paddock boots in a long time.

I have some brown Ariat Monacos that I bought a long time ago on sale. They set the aesthetic standard... but yikes on the $275 retail price!

Can y'all just hook me up with the right supply of nice black paddock boots that I can order from the comfort of my keyboard?

More on the size/shape of my feet if you want. I know, for example, that Grand Prix thinks feet are more narrow than they are.

PNWjumper
Apr. 6, 2012, 08:29 PM
I have no interest in wearing anything other than my Monacos.....ever again :D (okay, until I find something else I like as much). I bought my first pair in a tack shop with the ridiculous price tag. I bought my second (backup) pair on tack of the day for $100(ish). I've seen them on e-bay regularly since that initial TOTD offering around that price range. If you really like them that much, maybe camp out there for a few days and see if anything pops up?

I've tried on and owned a lot of pairs of paddock boots and never tried or owned any that I liked as much as the Monacos (hence the backup pair for if/when my current Monacos hit the end of their life span).

SolarFlare
Apr. 6, 2012, 08:50 PM
I have the Tredstep Giotto (zip) paddocks. I got them for under $100 at SmartPak: http://www.smartpakequine.com/tredstep-giotto-paddock-boots--zip-9483p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

I have been really happy with them. They looked beautiful right out of the box, broke in quickly, and have held up well, although I've only had them one season (they just came out last year).

FlashGordon
Apr. 6, 2012, 09:30 PM
oooh I've been looking at those paddock boots... have tredstep field boots and love them.

candysgirl
Apr. 6, 2012, 10:56 PM
I really like Dublin's paddock boots. They're only about $70. I find them really comfortable and they wear really well.

AlyssaSpellman
Apr. 6, 2012, 11:18 PM
I really like Dublin's paddock boots. They're only about $70. I find them really comfortable and they wear really well.

I had a pair of Dublin's that lasted me 3ish years of daily use - and by use I mean working 8-10 horses, mucking stalls, treading through mud, sitting in water, and occasionally being eaten by barn dogs. I bought them spur of the moment when my Ariat's fell apart, and liked them so much I didn't get new ones until my foot went right through the bottom of one.
My current pair are Ariat Heritage and they're really comfortable, but I can't speak for how they hold up because I've only had them for about 5 months and rarely wear them now that I have tall boots that actually fit.

Lucassb
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:14 AM
mvp, from one tack snob to another, the Tredstep Giotto boots are a great option at a reasonable price point.

Renn/aissance
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:32 AM
mvp, from one tack snob to another, the Tredstep Giotto boots are a great option at a reasonable price point.

They are definitely gorgeous, but I'm curious about how much flexibility they allow through the ankle with only the small elastic panel. I'm used to my ancient Ariats which have the elastic all the way down the side.

hundredacres
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:39 AM
I LOVE my tredstep Giotto's! I want to wear them everywhere :). Mine rubbed my ankle bones the first time I wore them so I let those heal and the next time I wore them they were fine. The first time I wore them with my half chaps (also tredstep) they wore a little bit again at the ankles but no blisters, and now they're super, super comfortable both to ride in and walk around in. The leather is SUPER soft and the ankles are very flexible.

FWIW, I have this problem in my ankles with every new pair of boots I get.

mvp
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:22 PM

Thank you all for your Giotto recs. I take this one, especially.

But one review says that these won't take a shine. Are they the same sorta coarse-grained leather as Treadstep's half chaps?

They do sound like a good option. It seems like these, at $99, are a good answer to really pretty ones that are around $300. Anyone have another option?

hundredacres
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:51 PM
No, they're not coarse, just not a hard, slick leather that will buff to a shine. Very, very smooth with an almost satin finish.

mortebella
Apr. 7, 2012, 05:50 PM
Can I add another wrinkle into the quest? Does anybody have Ariat Breezes? Or what would you recommend for handling lots of water?

Jumper6252
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:01 PM
I love my Giotto's. They are super comfortable!

Prime Time Rider
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:03 PM
I love the look and feel of the Treadstep Giotto paddock boots, unfortunately I have a small foot (size 6 or 6.5) and the smallest size they carry (37) is too big for my foot.

Lucassb
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:04 PM
Thank you all for your Giotto recs. I take this one, especially.

But one review says that these won't take a shine. Are they the same sorta coarse-grained leather as Treadstep's half chaps?

They do sound like a good option. It seems like these, at $99, are a good answer to really pretty ones that are around $300. Anyone have another option?

Not coarse at all... and you can get a nice shine on them, or I should say perhaps a sheen. They are quite a bit prettier than my customs.

Crazy-Pony
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:25 PM
I adore my Ariat Heritage III Zips (http://www.smartpakequine.com/ariat-heritage-iii-zip-paddock-6993p.aspx?cm_sp=Category-_-TopPick-_-6993). They are BEAUTIFUL, fit nicely, super comfortable, and, best of all, only $99.95 from SmartPak!

copper1
Apr. 8, 2012, 08:11 AM
Needed a pair of padock boots NOW, so bought a pair of Dublins-$60 I think. Comfortable, yes, sturdy no! Ovation has some decent priced ones that fill the bill but I have to say I like the various Ariats best.

Tehzebra
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:00 AM
I've always been an ariat person when it came to boots. They were so comfy and hardy! After busting through my last pair after many years, I got a new pair. Had worn em but a few times and ended up misplacing them (along with my new pair of GP Half Chaps!!!)..... Grrr! That was a few months ago :P I rode in some Justin western style boots the few times I could ride before I had to take a break. Returned from break and my saddle and girth rubbed my calf till it bled! The other day I went to get myself a pair of birthday boots and half chaps. In the same boat as you- on a budget. The Ariats have gone up in price quite a bit....ick. I was a little weary of the Tredsteps at first as I had never seen anyone with them nor wore em myself. They thankfully had one in my size (huge! haha) and I tried it on. It was very comfy! They looked good, as well. Ended up buying them (along with a pair of GPs on consignment! In my size! What are the odds! Yay bargain shopping!!!) I'm headed out to ride in them for the first time today. Im pretty excited to do so! haha! :)

mvp
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:52 PM
I love the look and feel of the Treadstep Giotto paddock boots, unfortunately I have a small foot (size 6 or 6.5) and the smallest size they carry (37) is too big for my foot.

Dammit, Beavis!

I have that small (but wide) foot and reviews say they run a 1/2 size big.

foreverdreaming
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:25 PM
Can I add another wrinkle into the quest? Does anybody have Ariat Breezes? Or what would you recommend for handling lots of water?

I have the Ariat Breezes. I wear them when I volunteer at a therapeautic riding center, and they are pretty great for the price. The field I work in is often extremely muddy, especially after rain or snow, but the boots have held up nicely considering what they go through.

After breaking them in, they are bearable for walking around a ring for 2 or more hours.

I usually just hose them off and occasionally use a leather conditioner on them, and they still look good after using them for a year of volunteering and riding in during lessons.
Oh, and I wear the Breezes with Tredstep Deluxe half chaps when I'm taking lessons, and they are a really nice as a pair. I personally find Tredstep's leather durable, and overall nice for the price.

mvp
Apr. 8, 2012, 04:42 PM
What's the difference between Ariat's lines/

So Heritage Whatevers are their entry line?

Performers (at $200) are their best quality?

Where to Breezes go in the Scala Naturae?

Renn/aissance
Apr. 8, 2012, 05:03 PM
What's the difference between Ariat's lines/

So Heritage Whatevers are their entry line?

Performers (at $200) are their best quality?

Where to Breezes go in the Scala Naturae?

From one tack snob to another... don't go there. I wore Ariats for years, but would not buy another pair.

My Ariat paddocks, purchased 10 years ago, are still mostly fine after 10 years. If you discount the holes on the insides of both boots.

The people I know who have their paddocks now, even the top of the line, can't get a year and a half out of them.

sp56
Apr. 8, 2012, 06:52 PM
After being sick of my Ariats dying on me after a very short period of time, I bought a pair of the Tredstep Giottos.

They're wider than the Ariats, and fairly generous with the sizing. I'm a 9.5 in Ariats, and I purchased the 10 in Tredsteps and had to put an insole in it to make them fit better. Definitely enough room with thicker socks!

There is quite a bit of padding around the ankle which makes them comfortable and very easy to break in. I've had a devil of a time getting them to shine with the regular boot polish routine, but this stuff made them shine (http://www.refreshedshoecleaner.com) for a couple days (I ride in a dirt environment so nothing really stays shiny for long).

I think for the price, they beat Ariat. They're very functional and seem to be holding up pretty well to my beatings.

theinstigator
Apr. 8, 2012, 07:41 PM
If you are interested, there's a coupon code for Monacos in the latest Dover sale catalog for black, lace, sizes 5.5 to 9.5 for $99.99.

I'm tempted...never had the Monacos but my old trusty Performers that I bought before Ariat's quality tanked are dying. I'm not a huge Dover fan, though. Hmmm.

EDIT: I just clicked through and only size 7 available.

mvp
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:20 PM
If you are interested, there's a coupon code for Monacos in the latest Dover sale catalog for black, lace, sizes 5.5 to 9.5 for $99.99.

I'm tempted...never had the Monacos but my old trusty Performers that I bought before Ariat's quality tanked are dying. I'm not a huge Dover fan, though. Hmmm.

EDIT: I just clicked through and only size 7 available.

D'oh!

But thanks for thinking of me. I'm sure some 7 COTHer will be pleased.

mortebella
Apr. 9, 2012, 10:58 AM
See, I've had the lowly Ariat Heritage something or others for...seven? or six at least, years and beat the CRAP out of them and they've been fantastic. But totally because of lack of care, they've started to crack right where your toes flex (and just on the sides, not across the tops.) Other than that they're still perfect, not even any wear on the soles, and SO comfortable, and I wear these constantly. I even shine 'em and wear them for business travel (they will get me through airport slogs better than anything else.) But no matter how careful I am at the barn (pbbbbtttttt - that's a joke) they end up soaking wet at least once a week, and they can't survive much more of that. But everything I'm hearing is that the new Ariats are just nothing like the ones from a few years ago. So wouldn't that include Monacos too? My real issue, no matter what I buy, is it's got to stand WATER - and an indifferent care schedule.

SMP
Apr. 10, 2012, 01:22 AM
I got the Giottos about a month ago and was so excited-the leather was much nicer than I expected for the price. They were a little uncomfortable to break in due to the back zipper but are now quite nice. However, I noticed tonight that after about 1 month (!!), the sole is separated from the boot on the right toe, separation goes back nearly an inch! I'll be trying to superglue them back as they are comfortable, but I'm really disappointed. Worn almost daily for a month, but definitely shouldn't be falling apart already.

p3rfection
Apr. 10, 2012, 03:19 AM
I have some brown Ariat Monacos that I bought a long time ago on sale.

Is this a typo?! Brown Monacos? I want brown Monacos!!!

see u at x
Apr. 10, 2012, 09:15 AM
I got the Giottos about a month ago and was so excited-the leather was much nicer than I expected for the price. They were a little uncomfortable to break in due to the back zipper but are now quite nice. However, I noticed tonight that after about 1 month (!!), the sole is separated from the boot on the right toe, separation goes back nearly an inch! I'll be trying to superglue them back as they are comfortable, but I'm really disappointed. Worn almost daily for a month, but definitely shouldn't be falling apart already.

Where did you get them from? Most places should allow you to return them. I had a pair of Ariats that I bought from Dover 3 years ago, had them for several months when the seam across the toe cap started to unravel. I took them back to Dover and they exchanged them for a new pair. Check with your tack store and if they won't help you, you might consider checking with the company directly.

PaintPony
Apr. 10, 2012, 10:14 AM
I adore my Ariat Heritage III Zips (http://www.smartpakequine.com/ariat-heritage-iii-zip-paddock-6993p.aspx?cm_sp=Category-_-TopPick-_-6993). They are BEAUTIFUL, fit nicely, super comfortable, and, best of all, only $99.95 from SmartPak!

I was determined NOT to buy Ariats again, but I ended up with these as well and actually love them.

I REALLY wanted the Giottos, but sadly they just didn't fit me right. I was very bummed because they are beautiful!

TheJenners
Apr. 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
Dammit, Beavis!

I have that small (but wide) foot and reviews say they run a 1/2 size big.
I am in the same boat. Not super wide, but certainly not as narrow as boot manufacturers seem to think. I may go the route of that Ariat paddock that looks like a sneaker... But oy, the cost :no:.

FLeventer
Apr. 10, 2012, 11:19 AM
I have the Tredsteps and I love them. Lasting for over a year now in near perfect condition. No holes like my five month old Ariats and the zipper and sole are fine.

I abuse my boots. Wash multiple horses with them and when they are soaked I ride a few more or I walk in deep sand to turn them out. They do not get wiped off but instead get hosed down when dirty. My six year old Ariats are still kicking with holes and the entire inside gone, but my newer Ariats are dead. I wore them for six months and I just am upset. The zipper split at the bottom and I can no longer zip them. I know that this can be easily fixed but when the sole started peeling off I just thought it was not worth it. Then there were holes appearing by the toes. For $200 I want nice lasting boots. I will never buy another pair of Ariats again. Very unhappy and the company blamed me for the downfall of my boots. Horrible customer service.

CaitlinandTheBay
Apr. 10, 2012, 11:30 AM
I am in the same boat. Not super wide, but certainly not as narrow as boot manufacturers seem to think. I may go the route of that Ariat paddock that looks like a sneaker... But oy, the cost :no:.

I got a pair of these for Christmas and I love them. They do run big (both wide and long). But they're so comfortable, I could wear mine all day. The soles are thicker- enough that I needed to adjust my leathers. Also, if you have ankle issues, I wouldn't recommend these. Other than that, they're fantastic and pretty waterproof (even the normal ones).

Appsolute
Apr. 10, 2012, 11:56 AM
My first pair if Ariats lasted through 8 years of heavy use.

My second pair of Ariats (Colbalts, the $200 paddock boot) are JUNK!!! JUNK!!

I am a weekend warrior, I only ride in these paddock boots, I take them off as soon as I get off the horse. Meanwhile, the boot is coming apart at the toe. Both pulls came off (stitching came lose), the insides are falling apart. The thin leather has worn through, making comfortable wrinkles and bunches inside the boot. Where my heel presses against the horse has worn through on the inside. I litterally have to slide my hand in with my foot to hold up the falling apart interior of the boot as I put them on.

I will NEVER EVER EVER buy another pair of Ariats. LOVED my old pair (from the 1990's!) new pair is GARBAGE.

KateKat
Apr. 10, 2012, 04:31 PM
I have a pair of the MH Celines. They're going on two years and holy cow, these things just won't die. I do absolutely NO maintenance/care on them and they're still going strong. They aren't my favorite boot in the world, but whatevs...I got them for like $70 (and you can still find them around for that price, I believe) and so far, they're holding up great. They're also very comfy, and almost *too* roomy through the footbed. I found my old Ariat's to be much more snug around the foot and instep than these are. Its possible because Ariat fits me more true to size, whereas since MH only has whole sizes, they're a bit generous.

For reference, I ride one horse 4-5 times a week. Everything including bathing, walking through muddy pasture etc is done in these boots.