PDA

View Full Version : What does your horse wear

Crown Royal
Apr. 6, 2012, 11:09 AM
Overnight before a show and when trailering to a show, in the spring/summer?

I want to get a lycra hood to put on for overnight and traveling in the morning (keep everything from the shoulder up nice, as well as keep the mane/braids nice).

I also would like to get a nice sheet to keep on him overnight in his stall to avoid stains. Do you get a cotton sheet, and are there any that have that smooth outer coating to avoid stains on the sheet itself? My old sheets were cotton but got so dirty and stained so fast from them just laying down in them and I would like to find one that protects against that, but isn't too hot for summer.

And lastly, what do they trailer in? Unless it was a chilly morning, I typically had to take the cotton sheet off so they wouldn't sweat during their trailer ride. Is this where a scrim sheet comes in handy (I never understood their true purpose)? To throw on after taking the cotton nightsheet off?

Thanks!

AmmyByNature
Apr. 6, 2012, 11:54 AM
In the warm weather, ours travel naked and sleep naked at home and at horse shows. We use scrims after bathing to help the hair dry flat and smooth, and they all get baths in the morning, so they are clean for their classes. We don't care if they lie down at night and get dirty so we let them be as comfortable as possible.

In the winter, they show in heated facilities and wear baker sheets at night. If it were to get unseasonably cold one evening in the summer, they would wear their bakers. They are always packed for the summer shows, even if they don't get used very often.

vtdobes
Apr. 6, 2012, 12:40 PM
For traveling to shows mine go naked and for overnight at shows they wear a nylon sheet. I use this sheet:
http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets-and-sheets_stable-sheets/adjusta-fit-dura-nylon-original-cutback-sheet/

I have it in navy and it doesn't show stains too much and is very easy to wash and dries quickly. I have several sizes of this same sheet (as my mare grew from baby to 8 years old) and I still have/use the one I bought for her 6 years ago. They hold up well in my case.

shadowanne
Apr. 6, 2012, 01:07 PM
My friend was just telling me last night that she uses nylon sheets for stalling at shows for her heavy white paint mare. The cotton tend to bleed stains through. Also she swaps to a clean sheet each night - also to prevent any absorption of stains from the night before.

My horse is black bay, so I just use Rambo newmarket stable sheet/blanket mostly to keep the dust from shavings grinding in and that keeps him cleaner and shinier. For trailering, depends on the weather (not much warm weather here) but same blankets for that - naked in the summer. I can't keep braids in as his mane pulls out so easily - but I would use a lycra hood otherwise.

Celeritas
Apr. 6, 2012, 01:22 PM
Trailering to an away show in the summer= Naked.
Trailering to a day show in the summer, and horsie is braided= Nylon stretchy hood thing, naked body.
At away shows= Naked at night, unless he is braided the night before in which case= naked body + stretchy nylon hood thing.

That being said, my answers would likely be different if I had a grey horse.

theinstigator
Apr. 6, 2012, 02:12 PM
For traveling to shows mine go naked and for overnight at shows they wear a nylon sheet. I use this sheet:
http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets-and-sheets_stable-sheets/adjusta-fit-dura-nylon-original-cutback-sheet/

I have it in navy and it doesn't show stains too much and is very easy to wash and dries quickly. I have several sizes of this same sheet (as my mare grew from baby to 8 years old) and I still have/use the one I bought for her 6 years ago. They hold up well in my case.

I will add a second vote for these sheets. They are durable, fit well, relatively inexpensive, easy to wash, and work much better than cotton sheets to keep stains from creeping through IMHO.

I have a friend with a black and white pinto and these are our go-to during the show season to keep him as stain-free as possible.

mvp
Apr. 6, 2012, 02:27 PM
I like to get to shows the day before they start. Usually, I do the shampoo bath there after the schooling ride.

So they travel naked in the summer.

I'll try to have ItchyPrincess (who is a gelding) braided in the morning. If I can't do that, I will use a lycra sleazy to try and maintain the braids. I don't leave them in over night.

He is bathed in the morning before our classes. I'll spot-shampoo any part of him that needs it.

I think it can help a horse that might be body sore to be a tad too warm in his stall overnight. So I usually add a cotton sheet.

Also (dammit) I bed deeply at shows and keep the stall well picked out. Unless he uses his crap as a pillow, the beast doesn't get too dirty in his own home.

Really, I'd much rather have the horse be comfortable than clean. I can fix a dirty horse more easily than I can fix a pissed off horse.

Midwest girl in an East coast world
Apr. 6, 2012, 03:09 PM
Bath the night before, then cotton sheet to keep clean.
Braided early in AM, then get hoodie on.
Always ship with hoodie on, sometimes with cotton sheets (depends on weather and individual horse). I wouldn't ship with my scrims, as they both are embroidered and I try to keep them nice.

When stabling at shows, we also are meticulous about picking stalls. Night clothing depends on the weather, indoor/outdoor stalls, etc. If keeping braids in over night I would also put hoodie back on.

Personally, I find that the cotton sheets with the nylon liner are nice because you get a bit of a polishing effect and the hair stays flat. I've never had a stain seep though, and have always been able to brush off shavings easily if needed. I will say that I won't buy another waffle-type bath sheet as EVERYTHING sticks to them!

maigenesis
Apr. 6, 2012, 05:08 PM
Trailering to shows (we only show in the summer)-naked except shipping boots. During show nights, they have nothing on their legs, and if it is chilly, a hunter green Irish-knit sheet. Most of our horses are dark bay, or dark bay and "white" pinto, so we just spot-clean in the morning as necessary.

toxicity
Apr. 6, 2012, 10:15 PM
Naked in the trailer except for pressure wraps. Hood that attaches to a shoulder guard overnight if braided. Horse is dark bay and gets bathed day before show after schooling.