PDA

View Full Version : "Stretchy" Show Jackets?

SquishTheBunny
Apr. 5, 2012, 09:56 PM
I would like to find a show jacket that has a little `give` to it. Something equivalent to size 18 reg or slim in grand prix. Can anyone recommend a brand, where to buy and the size equivalent?

alto
Apr. 6, 2012, 01:06 AM
Check with the efo (http://www.equestrianfactoryoutlet.com/index.html) nearest you - they have a promo on RJ Classic Sterling collection coats (lightweight wool with a slight stretch, definiftely not in the same stretch category as the Iris Bayer/GPA etc versions, but also rather less $$).

Sorry no size equivalent but efo personnel should be able to sort you out.

DarkStarrx
Apr. 6, 2012, 07:10 AM
Are there any other stretchy brands? I have broad shoulders, so I always have to go up sizes and then get the waist tailored. If I could find one with a bit more give maybe it would help.

nycjumper
Apr. 6, 2012, 08:12 AM
I bought the RJ Platinum stretch jacket. I tried on that, the GPA and the Gesmi. IIRC, mine was 400, the Gesemi was 450 and the GPA was 475 or thereabouts so all within the same price range.

I liked the Platinum because it was the most traditional styling and is 100% washable which is a lifesaver - no more drycleaning bills after wearing a jacket. Super stretchy (you'll want to try them on as you'll probably be in a smaller size than normal), very lightweight and oh so comfortable. The GPA was my 2nd fave and the Gesemi was fun but very European jumper styling. The Platinum looks like a traditional coat (albeit in black) and you in theory could cross over to the other rings.

DarkStarrx
Apr. 6, 2012, 09:09 AM
Ahh nice to know you tried a Gersemi, I'm in Norway now, so I bet I can get my hands on one of those to try for now. I currently have a RJ that I love, but I need to get it tailored some more, I'll have to look at the Platinum series.

Across Sicily
Apr. 6, 2012, 05:40 PM
What about Grand Prix themselves? They make a nice soft shell. It's a bit on the expensive side, but it's a lovely coat. I got mine from Farm House... If I recall correctly, I think Greenhawk or Running Fox carries them as well. They're nice because they are very traditionally styled. I wore mine in jumpers, equitation, and hunter derbies last year.

If you're looking for something a bit less expensive my next stop would be RJ Classics. Their soft shell coat looks pretty nice, and I am eyeing one up. Grand Prix and RJ do fit differently, but I'm honestly not sure of the size difference, since I had to tailor the cr*p out of the one Grand Prix coat that I have whereas RJ fits me very well off the rack.

You could also look into Gersemi, Pikeur, Animo, GPA, etc etc. There are a lot of companies with stretchy and/or soft shell coats!

Dewey
Apr. 6, 2012, 05:49 PM
The Grand Prix softshells in the "techlite" fabric are not that expensive. They make several styles, including a traditional hunter/eq-style coat.

STA
Apr. 6, 2012, 06:54 PM
Try finding a web site for Charles Ancona. His jackets are now a traditional style, have the "give" you are looking to buy, and are washable. They are also priced about the same as the prices mentioned earlier in this thread.

Electrikk
Apr. 16, 2012, 04:02 PM
The Grand Prix softshells in the "techlite" fabric are not that expensive. They make several styles, including a traditional hunter/eq-style coat.

The techlites are really nice! Super comfortable and breathable, and nicely stretchy. There are two main styles (maybe more?) and both are available in a hunter version and a jumper version (button style and collars). One is the traditional cut, the other has zippered pockets along the front darts instead of traditional pockets, and a slightly more sporty silhouette while still being hunter-approved. The two styles fit slightly differently, so I'd recommend seeing which fits you best.