PDA

View Full Version : My 4yo greenie was fantastic today

Crown Royal
Apr. 5, 2012, 06:37 PM
For any of you that read my critique thread the other day, and read through the other questions I have, this is a GOOD update! For those that didn't, I was having trouble getting him to understand that one leg's pressure against him still means move over at the trot (and canter), and not go faster. He understood how to move away from pressure on the ground, standing still, and pretty well at the walk, but at a trot or canter he would shoot forward and get unbalanced when I tried to apply one leg to leg yield or have him bend (combined with inside rein half-halts for the bend).

Well, I schooled him on the flat on Tuesday and for the first time, used a polo wrap in between the front legs, making a loop around the girth and the buckle part of his caveson. I made it loose by not dangling, just enough so he would realize it shouldn't really be an option to stick his nose and neck up in the air when he wanted to evade contact. I think it served it's purpose. He was very distracted the whole ride though (neighbors were burning stuff in a barrel and the kids were playing on their various bikes) and I had to continually circle, change direction, and keep asking stronger and stronger for him to either leg yield, bend, or collect with me giving him half-halts. Since he wasn't focusing and I had to ask harder, he would shoot forward and get quick, then get frustrated. I hopped off and we had a bit of a CTJ moment on the ground to get him to respect me and what I was asking him to do (made him move over, back up, step up, turn, all that stuff) and then I hopped back on for a few minutes and we ended on a better note.

I planned on riding him yesterday, but when I was getting ready to go out, my cat had a seizure and I had to rush her to the vet.

So I rode him today (again with the polo wrap stretchy) and he was fantastic. After I got on and walked him out to our riding field, I stood him still and had him move laterally to each side and did turns on the forehand both directions as well. As we walked, my reins were in between a slight loop and a bit of contact. He must've really liked that. I was able to ask him to leg yield as well as bend in any part of our track. Previously, I could get him to leg yield in the corners or across the diagnol switching directions, but not going down the longside. I could not get any bend. He did both today at the walk, so we spent some time practicing that (the bend was SO nice to have). When we picked up the trot, it was steady and slow from the get-go, but he gradually made the strides bigger (but definitely not faster). I was able to keep him on that same very light/almost loopy contact and get both leg yields AND bend- in any spot of our track. The trot was one that I would be proud to show off in the hunter ring. :) It was very relaxed, neck stretched and lowered slightly, with the same big, slow, light, steady, stride. If I had to remind him to relax his neck back down, all it took was a couple half-halts on the inside rein with my inside leg to bend him, and it was right back to where it needed to be. It was so, so nice. I was only on him a total of maybe 15 minutes and decided to quit with that and not work on the canter today, just because that was such a huge improvement and it was so nice. I know the wrap has helped some, even though it doesn't put much pressure, because now he KNOWS he can stretch his neck out and down, and he KNOWS that's the way he can be allowed to go on a loose rein. I still have to incorporate the half-halts and bending, but it's less often and he holds it by himself for much longer. I'm thrilled. Hopefully he'll figure out the canter just as quickly, and then I can ride stretchy-wrap free. :)

Sorry that was so long- I don't have many other people that "get it".

Satin Filly
Apr. 5, 2012, 08:39 PM
Always so gratifying, isn't it!? :)

Crown Royal
Apr. 5, 2012, 08:42 PM
It is! Nothing compares to a fantastic ride on your horse where they seem to do everything right, even when it's only 15 minutes. :)

Zu Zu
Apr. 5, 2012, 10:07 PM
Absolutely nothing !

NICE !!!!

It is! Nothing compares to a fantastic ride on your horse where they seem to do everything right, even when it's only 15 minutes. :)

AlyssaSpellman
Apr. 5, 2012, 11:41 PM
I love seeing updates on your guy! He reminds me a lot of my four (almost five) year old that I sadly had to sell in November. :sadsmile:
So glad to hear things are going well!

Crown Royal
Apr. 6, 2012, 09:59 AM
I love seeing updates on your guy! He reminds me a lot of my four (almost five) year old that I sadly had to sell in November. :sadsmile:
So glad to hear things are going well!

Thank you! I'll have to try to get some video of him flatting when my boyfriend has time to. I need to invest in a camera that does video though, my phone is not the best quality.