PDA

View Full Version : Fanci-full on sun bleached body

fatappy
Apr. 4, 2012, 10:51 AM
I did a search on this and nothing came back in the context I was hoping.

Has anyone used Fanci-Full - the hair rinse - on their horse's body?

I have a bay mare who I body clipped 2 weeks ago and she's already yellow. I read about henna dye and plan on trying that, but I'm kind of in a pinch and can't find anyone locally who has it, so I thought I would give fanci-full a try. I know it's not going to turn my yellow-bay into a nice mahogany-bay, but at this point, anything is a step up

http://www.fanci-fullhair.com/

Has anyone tried this? I've used fanci-full in my grey mare's tail for eons, but never tried it on a body.

TIA

Dapple Grey
Apr. 4, 2012, 01:55 PM
I have used it for years on greys for their tails and also to cover any stubborn yellow spots, never tried it all over though. My guess is that it won't last long.

TB7
Apr. 4, 2012, 03:07 PM
I use henna for my hair - you can find it at Indian grocery stores.

But - would you REALLY want to use Henna? Are you looking to turn your horse into a blood bay? Because Henna reddens hair - it doesn't just darken it. You often have to add a darkening agent to it, like indigo if you're looking for a dark brown. Or are you talking about some manufactured shampoo that claims to have henna in it and is specifically for horses?

It takes a LOT of Henna a long time to dye hair - and you're still washing it out for about 2 weeks afterwards. You will think your horse is dirty when water comes off yellow, but it's just more henna rinsing out. It will most likely rub off somewhat on your saddle pad too.

Example - I have dark brown, slightly over the shoulder length hair. It takes 200g for 4-6 hours in my hair to make it reddish/auburn just in the sunlight. It can be a pain to wash it out and it WILL stain whatever clothes you have on and never completely comes out. This is why I would not think it's ideal for horses - assuming you're using it as a shampoo set - that's like 1200g at LEAST of henna to rub the paste all over your horse. Then you have to sit there and wait with the horse for a while, making sure your horse doesn't bite himself trying to scratch - otherwise you horse will get red teeth! Plus when you rinse it out, it will stain whatever area you're rinsing, so outside is best. If it gets on your clothes, you will have red spots on those breeches/shirt/boots forever.

Henna can also burn after prolonged periods of time - horses with sensitive skin would not like it. The first time I used it, I had to wash it out a bit early because my scalp was beginning to burn. That said, artificial sweeteners have been known to lessen/eliminate burning sensations on the scalp from such practices (like bleaching one's hair). No idea why, but it works.

Have you thought of a supplement that darkens instead? I know SmartPak had SmartDark and Handsome...

lachevaline
Apr. 4, 2012, 03:42 PM
Just feed paprika...

fatappy
Apr. 4, 2012, 04:16 PM
TB7 - this is what i was talking about - sorry, not very clear. Apparently there are different shades that mix cassia and indigo so you can get a brown color. http://www.southlandsoap.com/

lachevaline - how much? I would like a brighter bay this weekend:D I know... not going to happen, so I will start this ASAP, but looking for something to hold me over til I can get a feed through working on her.

lachevaline
Apr. 4, 2012, 04:47 PM
I think between 1 and 2 tablespoons. But it wouldn't be an immediate solution. And I believe it can contain trace amounts of a substance that's banned by USEF, so if you're showing, it may not be the best idea. Check out this thread, it may help: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6233205&highlight=paprika#post6233205