PDA

View Full Version : Office fees :(

Oliver18
Apr. 4, 2012, 07:22 AM
I have a Greenie that Im doing in the 2'6 . I have been sticking to Schooling shows . They are running a horse show 20 min from my house , just looked at the Entry form :( $15 USEF/drug fee and 16 0ffice fee . This stinks ! I classes are more expensive too . When I last showed the Big Eq was $30 at A shows . Low Adult Hunter is $25 a class . I finally got over the USEF, USHJA fees$$$ though it bothered me I had to reg my OTTB who is just getting miles doing the 2'6

Atlas Shrugged
Apr. 4, 2012, 07:34 AM
16$ office fee is the cheapest I have seen, unfortunately. I am not sure how they get away with charging all the fees. And there is usually a nice mandatory warm up fee as well. Plus the drug fees, etc. And don't forget the nominating fees, scratch fees, fee fees, oh , and the entry fee, with no prize money in the unrated divisions. Add braiding, gas/shipping, training, hotel, food... nite watch. Okay, time for some fun!

SaturdayNightLive
Apr. 4, 2012, 07:35 AM
What? Horse shows cost money!? Say it isn't so!

Sorry, but I'm not sure why you're acting surprised. It sounds like you're getting away pretty cheap to me.

Horse shows cost money to organize and run - it only makes sense that those costs be passed on to the competitor. Don't like the price of a particular show? Don't go.

Oliver18
Apr. 4, 2012, 08:03 AM
Oh Vey ! $16 is the cheapest office fee lol! I haven't shown since the late 90s last Division I did was Junior Hunters .Our year got cut short so we only made it to Zones. Schooling fees I have met before even though we NEVER schooled in the ring just some jumps outside in the warm up ring . I understand everything goes up in price . I think last horse show was maybe 97 ish I'm pretty sure office fees were $8 ?

Maybe there should be a throw back horse show? Like when the NFL wears old school Jerseys lol

Why thank you SaturdayNightLive I will take your post under advisement .

rustbreeches
Apr. 4, 2012, 08:11 AM
I feel your pain. When I was showing as a kid, local shows were $5/class, one farm, with a really nice ring, got away with $6. No schooling fees, no office fees, and they GAVE AWAY SILVER for champion, sometimes a small piece for blue. When I took DD to her first local show, it was $12/class, $15 schooling and $25 office. Yikes! The mentality has definitely shifted from we are doing organizers a favor by supporting their show, to they are doing riders a favor by having a show. It seemed like back in the day, most schooling or local shows were run by a farm owner/trainer, and the entry office was staffed by moms of lesson kids and dads comprised the jump crew. Not so much anymore

pattnic
Apr. 4, 2012, 08:15 AM
I'm pretty sure that most people would complain a lot less about office fees if they really knew just how much work goes into running the office at a horse show - before, during, and after!

I agree - an office fee of $16 is nothing! :yes:

OP - Just the price of gas has more than doubled in the last 12 years (and basically quadrupled in the last 15 years). So it really shouldn't come as a surprise that horse show fees have also gone way up in those same last 15 years.

ShowMomJen11
Apr. 4, 2012, 08:19 AM
I just paid an office fee of $75 for one week @ WEF!
:eek:

westie55
Apr. 4, 2012, 08:40 AM
Yep, no way around it. Miscellaneous fees (office, drug, schooling, EMT, grounds, USEF/USHJA, etc.) are unavoidable at rated shows and are even worse at A or AA shows. I just budget carefully, suck it up, and pay. Others are right that horse shows are extremely expensive to run, and these days the ones that break even sometimes consider themselves lucky.

If the fees at the rated shows are too much, perhaps there is a nice schooling series around you could find that doesn't have as many. But by me, most of the schooling shows have fees too!

Hunter Mom
Apr. 4, 2012, 08:54 AM
Our local circuit just raised their prices (to $15 a class) for the first time since 2000. One venue charges a facility fee to help offset the cost of renting it, approved by our circuit. That still doesn't make the show a huge money-maker. The show our barn hosts makes money off of sponsorship, but the show itself, not so much by the time you count in ribbons, prizes, expenses for jumps (repair, painting, etc.), paying a judge, etc., etc., etc.

LulaBell
Apr. 4, 2012, 08:58 AM
I just did my first AA show and paid a $50 office fee, a $16 drug fee and I think a $2 zone support fee...the way everyone always talks about crazy miscellaneous fees, I was expecting far worse. I thought getting out with just $68 on top of classes and stalls was pretty good. Considering how nice the ladies that run the show office are, I'd rather pay more. It's nice to have people who know what they're doing and are pleasant to be around.

awaywego
Apr. 4, 2012, 09:02 AM
At least for me, the fees get under my skin the same way all the airline fees do. I think the fees should be included in the entry fees - it's the cost of doing business.

I understand horse shows require work - that's how many of the people who run them are making a living. But how about all the very nice local shows that don't have an office fee? Is that show any less work to run? And without schooling fees to boot!

I am lucky to have some very nice local series not too far away, but my closest shows are actually all rated. Even with the rising cost of gas, I still can't justify the difference.

pattnic
Apr. 4, 2012, 09:13 AM
I understand horse shows require work - that's how many of the people who run them are making a living.

Not always (though I just realized that you said "many," rather than implying "all," which is how I first read it... but still, there are a LOT of volunteers working in show offices). And there actually is a bit less work that goes into a schooling show/series than a multi-day show with hundreds or even thousands of horses which must report to a national association/federation.