PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a negative pre-purchase / radiographs (OCD / Cystic Lesion)

svf86
Apr. 4, 2012, 01:41 AM
Curious to have some opinions on our most recent vetting. We recently vetted a coming 7 year old, smaller warmblood gelding, reasonably priced as a 1.10 horse who has done the 1.30 in Europe and worked consistently for the past 2 years with absolutely no problems. Flexed perfectly, general PPE was great. Lunging on hard and soft ground showed that the horse was stepping delicately in the hind, not lame by any means but horse just had hind shoes put on 5 days before the PPE, horse had been barefoot in the hind for his entire life. Thinking this is obvious for the stepping lightly.

Previous x-rays from Europe show a small spur in the hock, not interfering with the joint. This doesn't particularly concern me, we knew he had this before taking this set of x-rays.

Here's the "scary". Recent x-rays of his stifle show that he has what my vet referred to as a "small depression sclerosis" in the medial condyle femur. Also mentioned it being similar to, or being an OCD. Still a little fuzzy on this but will get more info tomorrow. It is in a weight bearing area he said, yes surgery could be performed obviously if it were to interfere with the horses performance.

My thoughts, every horse has something, this horse is a trooper and is honest as the day is long, great brain and a huge heart for his age too. I know there are plenty of supplements to treat this, also injections as a preventative which we are firm believers in anyway (adequan / legend) Considering the flexions and overall performance are and have been fine, obviously we cannot see into the future what would your thoughts and or decision be.

I feel as though I have already made my decision but would love to hear some others. Seller is a friend who is very honest, recently imported this horse to sell, did not know about this problem in the stifle as she did not have identical views that we got yesterday.

gotrocks
Apr. 4, 2012, 06:26 AM
I just recently purchased one with a less than stellar vetting, but I knew what potential maintenance costs could be. He is PERFECT for the job, honest sellers, and I made them a low offer. They took it. I think anything in a PPE is relative to what you are willing to spend. Maybe reduce your offer to encompass future maintenance costs, but if he flexed, lunged, and is performing to standard it honestly wouldn't bother me at all.

Good luck!

Infinite
Apr. 4, 2012, 01:04 PM
Curious to have some opinions on our most recent vetting. We recently vetted a coming 7 year old, smaller warmblood gelding, reasonably priced as a 1.10 horse who has done the 1.30 in Europe and worked consistently for the past 2 years with absolutely no problems. Flexed perfectly, general PPE was great. Lunging on hard and soft ground showed that the horse was stepping delicately in the hind, not lame by any means but horse just had hind shoes put on 5 days before the PPE, horse had been barefoot in the hind for his entire life. Thinking this is obvious for the stepping lightly.

Previous x-rays from Europe show a small spur in the hock, not interfering with the joint. This doesn't particularly concern me, we knew he had this before taking this set of x-rays.

Here's the "scary". Recent x-rays of his stifle show that he has what my vet referred to as a "small depression sclerosis" in the medial condyle femur. Also mentioned it being similar to, or being an OCD. Still a little fuzzy on this but will get more info tomorrow. It is in a weight bearing area he said, yes surgery could be performed obviously if it were to interfere with the horses performance.

My thoughts, every horse has something, this horse is a trooper and is honest as the day is long, great brain and a huge heart for his age too. I know there are plenty of supplements to treat this, also injections as a preventative which we are firm believers in anyway (adequan / legend) Considering the flexions and overall performance are and have been fine, obviously we cannot see into the future what would your thoughts and or decision be.

I feel as though I have already made my decision but would love to hear some others. Seller is a friend who is very honest, recently imported this horse to sell, did not know about this problem in the stifle as she did not have identical views that we got yesterday.

You should probably consider this pretty carefully as issues in the stifle can be much more difficult to manage then in other places. I am really *not all about getting worked up about about things in a PPE -- especially in WBs as they don't have often have super crisp xrays -- but stifles is one area I don't mess with. It's just not as easy to deal with them there as other places. Your vet could probably give you a very good idea if this is that sort of case.

Hope it works out for you!

lachevaline
Apr. 4, 2012, 03:30 PM
I think it's up to you obviously, but if you want him, maybe use this info to renegotiate the price...

gottagrey
Apr. 4, 2012, 04:33 PM
I have a friend who purchased a young horse (4 or 5) who blew out an OCD lesion a week after she got him. Didn't appear on the xrays. That horse was a maintenance disaster from day 1 - now I'm not saying this will be the same story w/ this horse - every horse is different. I would have a very open, honest and frank discussion w/ your vet about the horse. We get blinded and end up not listening to good advice - it happened to me. There is also a huge difference in what you might want the horse to do vs what the horse can/should do in terms of performance. If you're planning to have a demanding show schedule - then this might not be the right horse for you long term. If you're planning not to have an intense showing career then odds are probably in your favor. Sometimes too, a little something on a PPE makes us more aware of the horse's condition so we then make sure to manage them better and whatever you thought might be an issue isn't.

We have to remember though we view horses as majestic and strong, they can be quite fragile - think of them/their well being always first and you will have a partner for a long time; think of yourself/ribbons/points first and that partnership might not last as long.

paw
Apr. 4, 2012, 04:44 PM
OTOH, just because someone sees something on an xray or ultrasound, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will become a problem. Just like you don't ride the papers, you don't ride the xrays.

Is it something to use as a negotiating point on the price? Quite possibly. If the horse is otherwise what you want and priced acceptably, I don't think I'd pass it up over that, if it's going well now. They find *so* *many* ways to hurt themselves, after all...

wanderlust
Apr. 4, 2012, 04:57 PM
OCD in the stifle is a deal breaker finding in a vetting. OCD on a weight-bearing surface is a double deal-breaker.

It is not like a little arthritis in the hocks that can be maintained. It is a ticking time bomb that has probably already done quite a bit of damage to the joint.

lachevaline
Apr. 4, 2012, 05:18 PM
You don't ride the x-rays but you do ride the legs that were x-rayed.

Infinite
Apr. 4, 2012, 09:09 PM
OCD in the stifle is a deal breaker finding in a vetting. OCD on a weight-bearing surface is a double deal-breaker.

It is not like a little arthritis in the hocks that can be maintained. It is a ticking time bomb that has probably already done quite a bit of damage to the joint.

I agree with this completely. If you feel you are going to go forward, you need to be really certain you understand the implications of OCD in the stifles. If/when it becomes a problem it will not be a maintenance issue but likely a lawn ornament.

Sure, as someone above said, you don't ride the x-rays, but in this case it is a very different issue then your typical maintenance.