PDA

View Full Version : Best Hoof Polish

Win1
Apr. 3, 2012, 03:24 PM
Looking for suggesions on the best product/method for black hooves in the show ring.

eclipse
Apr. 3, 2012, 03:54 PM
I like this one, but in clear, no matter what colour the hoof :D Plus, you don't have to remove it as it's not like a laquer! Oh, and I find it rubs off way quicker than a week, generally by the end of each show day.

http://www.pinkstons.com/servlet/the-414/Absorbine-Hoof-Polish-Clear/Detail

Florida Gator
Apr. 3, 2012, 04:56 PM
We use Fiebings hoof dressing

lachevaline
Apr. 3, 2012, 05:39 PM
For what it's worth, I like clear for any hoof color - looks shiny but natural, and isn't a disaster if you get a bit in their hair.

AlyssaSpellman
Apr. 3, 2012, 06:13 PM
I just use Effol no matter what color the hoof is. I hate the look of "fake" black hooves.

Herbie19
Apr. 3, 2012, 07:03 PM
http://www.doversaddlery.com/birdsall's-show-hoof-oil-32oz/p/X1-2218/

callmegold
Apr. 3, 2012, 08:28 PM
I like this one, but in clear, no matter what colour the hoof :D Plus, you don't have to remove it as it's not like a laquer! Oh, and I find it rubs off way quicker than a week, generally by the end of each show day.

http://www.pinkstons.com/servlet/the-414/Absorbine-Hoof-Polish-Clear/Detail

Just don't get it on your boots :no:

Jumper6252
Apr. 3, 2012, 09:12 PM
fiebings

pattnic
Apr. 4, 2012, 09:47 AM
If you really want black hooves, then my product of choice is SuperShine Black (they also make clear). http://www.smartpakequine.com/supershine-hoof-polish-213p.aspx

And if you want shiny black hooves, then also use Ultra Hoof Polish Enhancer. http://www.smartpakequine.com/ultra-hoof-enhancer-8404p.aspx?cm_sp=CS-_-Ultra Hoof Enhancer-_-NA&cm_vc=UpSell

And if you really want them super-shiny, then sand the hooves before applying the hoof polish and enhancer spray.

And then you'll have breed-show-ready black hooves.

But if you're not doing a breed show, then stick with clear; much more natural-looking, and you won't look like a breed show crossover. Fiebings and SuperShine Clear are good, but really anything that leaves a shine works. In the past, I've used Keratex and Tuff Stuff, and even regular ol' hoof dressing (I particularly like Animal Legends, Rainmaker, and Fiebings. There was another cream I used before that was GREAT, but I can't find it anymore/can't remember the name).

Reagan
Apr. 4, 2012, 09:57 AM
I've always used Fiebings. I don't like the look of the fake black or super shiny.

Kikki
Apr. 4, 2012, 11:04 AM
I just use peanut oil. Cheep and i have found least destructive to their feet

Win1
Apr. 4, 2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks everyone!! In the past I've used regular hoof oil, but am so annoyed when everything sticks to it. Even when I've wiped off excess, dust likes to settle which is fine for white hooves but I would think it's going to be more noticable on black.

I ordered the Super Shine in clear, hopefully it works better than the 'Tuff Stuff' I tried last season, which flaked off very quickly.

For those who use oils, do you not have issues with dirt/dust sticking? What's the secret protocol? :)

Tap2Tango
Apr. 4, 2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks everyone!! In the past I've used regular hoof oil, but am so annoyed when everything sticks to it. Even when I've wiped off excess, dust likes to settle which is fine for white hooves but I would think it's going to be more noticable on black.

I ordered the Super Shine in clear, hopefully it works better than the 'Tuff Stuff' I tried last season, which flaked off very quickly.

For those who use oils, do you not have issues with dirt/dust sticking? What's the secret protocol? :)

I like to apply the hoof oil on rubber mats/concrete then allow it to soak in. Then I wipe off any extra and it still has a nice sheen to it. Also, the key is to apply it to CLEAN feet. As long as your horse's feet get regular attention, just use a sponge and soapy water while your bathing to get any caked on crud off. You shouldn't need to sandpaper them.

fordtraktor
Apr. 4, 2012, 05:58 PM

Hoof oil is the last thing I put on before I walk in the ring. The protocol for me goes:

Hoof oil -- mount -- wipe boots -- take shortest route to ring possible.

The "shine" products are pretty but very drying to the hooves. They have a hoof polish remover as well but that is drying too. It is better-looking than Tuff Stuff which is a great product to seal moisture in/out but should not be put near the coronet band and is not really a show ring polish product.

The breed show halter folks all do seem to use sandpaper, at least the "how to" articles in my QH Journal indicate they do, but I think that could compromise the hoof wall so I would not be using that especially on a performance horse.

Crazy-Pony
Apr. 4, 2012, 06:53 PM
! I personally like I like Effol Hoof Oil, but Fiebings Hoof Dressing is cheaper and pretty good, too.

Lucassb
Apr. 4, 2012, 07:23 PM
I used Fiebings for years, always allowing it to sit for a minute before wiping the hooves with a towel to remove the excess and cut down on its tendency to pick up dirt. Later, I worked for someone who insisted we rub the (scrupulously clean) hooves with a cut onion (yes, it does work.)

For the last few years, I have used Farriers Fix. It was developed by my farrier and it's a fantastic product. Draws soreness in addition to presenting a nice appearance. Highly recommend it.

JenEM
Apr. 4, 2012, 08:23 PM

I use Fiebings, always. Hunter, jumper, dressage, event, if it's going in a show ring, it gets Fiebings. I put it on after brushing, but before tacking up, so it has some time to dry before we go anywhere dust or dirt can stick to it. But then again, mine has 3 white feet, so shiny black feet isn't really something I worry about.

karlymacrae
Apr. 4, 2012, 08:54 PM
I have used everything and this is by far the best.
http://www.equinenow.com/store-item-4646

For dry hooves, Horseshoers Secret is expensive but worth every penny. Lasts about a week; I've used it at shows as well as at home, but I prefer the Cornucrescine for showing.

Trixie
Apr. 4, 2012, 09:25 PM
I've always used Fiebings and have totally failed at branching out. If you can let it dry a little, it might last more than a few steps. Like six strides instead of two. :winkgrin:

JFJ
Apr. 4, 2012, 10:02 PM
For the last few years, I have used Farriers Fix. It was developed by my farrier and it's a fantastic product. Draws soreness in addition to presenting a nice appearance. Highly recommend it.

Great stuff! I second the recommendation!

Mouse&Bay
Apr. 4, 2012, 10:17 PM
I have fallen in love with the effol hoof ointment.

Clean hooves, rub in and then let it sit for a couple minutes (for a show I would start with a good quantity while grooming to prep). Let it sink in and then buff it a little bit with a cloth. You'll get a nice soft shine. Warm up, quick wipe before you go in the ring to knock any dust off and you're good. It seems to repel dust pretty well.. though you won't get the 'nail polish' shine that a polish will do.

I think it depends on what your taste is - I like clean and polished but don't like "fake" looking hooves so it works for me.

islndgirl
Apr. 4, 2012, 11:06 PM
Another vote for Farrier's Fix. Looks good and is good for their feet too!

sarcam02
Apr. 5, 2012, 08:47 AM

Feibings is my hands down favorite for the h/j show ring. To avoid mud globs just put on (in advance is best) then wipe off excess.

VTMorgan06
Apr. 5, 2012, 08:58 AM
I wish my hoof polishing routine was so simple! For my Morgan I sand his feet with three different grains of sandpaper and finish with steel wool. Then put a layer of shoe polish on his feet before finishing with hoof black or clear for the white feet. I complete the look with a spritz of WD-40 which adds a ton of shine and speeds drying. It's quite a process, but when I'm done his feet shine like patent leather!