PDA

View Full Version : UK Judge says injured riders cannot sue

Guin
Apr. 3, 2012, 12:40 PM
I think there is a thread somewhere about the original lawsuit. The judge has thrown it out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/countryside/9183464/Horse-riding-is-dangerous-and-riders-cannot-sue-when-they-fall-off-judge-rules.html

"...inherent in that activity is the risk that, on occasions, the horse will not respond to its riders instructions, or will respond in a way that the rider did not intend. "That is one of the risks inherent in riding horses. That is all that happened in the present case".

Tapperjockey
Apr. 3, 2012, 01:23 PM
Interesting. The poll is very telling. Most people agreed with the ruling it appears.

Guin
Apr. 3, 2012, 01:53 PM
I agree completely. Glad to see a judge with common sense. Riding *is* dangerous and you assume the risk when participating, like skydiving or racecar driving.

see u at x
Apr. 3, 2012, 01:58 PM
It would be so nice if there was a way for that judge to send some of his own common sense across the pond to some of the "sue-happy" people over here. A job well done, as far as I'm concerned.

ccoronios
Apr. 3, 2012, 02:15 PM
There are many states that have passed the 'inherent risk' law. Too bad NY isn't one of them. Yet.

C

eclipse
Apr. 3, 2012, 02:48 PM
Good on that judge! Personally, if it had been me exercising somebody's horse and they asked me to use a bitless bridle as he had sores in his mouth from teeth rasping, I'd decline and give him some time off to heal! If you make a decision to do something, then you have to live with the consequences.....it's not like she was forced to ride him and forced to make him canter in a wide open field!