PDA

View Full Version : N KY & SE IN--possibly moving and looking for info/opinions

Chestnut Run
Apr. 2, 2012, 08:10 PM
Hi All! This is kind of long, so thanks for reading it!!!!!!!!! I'm cross-posting between the dressage, hunter/jumper, eventing, and horse care forums, since it seems a lot of people don't come out of "their" forum.

We are toying with the idea of moving in the next year or two. We are looking at Northern Kentucky and SE Indiana. Some things I've been able to find out for myself, but here's some questions I was hoping you all could answer if you live in either area.

A bit about us—we breed a small number of horses each year to race ourselves, our first foals are 2 year olds this year. That's mainly my husband's thing, although I enjoy it too. We train them off the farm so don't need to be right near a track—just ship there to race. I love to take on “project horses”, especially OTTBs, but I don't discriminate as I have a wide range of tastes as far as riding. My main sport is dressage and to a lesser extent hunter/jumper. Recently I have had a few gaited horses fall into my lap, and I have enjoyed getting them going well and selling them as trail horses way more than I thought I would. Right now I'd say I do about 4-6 horses a year for resale, but I'd like to expand a bit and maybe up that to 10 or 12. Any of our foals that don't make it to the races or are unsucessful for whatever reason, would go into my projects program. Many years ago, I lived in Lexington KY for a short period of time, so know a little about that part of KY, and a little about the northern part since I had a friend living in just south of Cincinnati. Otherwise I know nothing else about the area and nothing about SE Indiana except for what I've seen online in pictures.

1.)Average cost of decent hay? Preferably prices in the tons but whatever you know is helpful. Since the majority of our horses are TB, we pretty much just feed alfalfa or alfalfa mixed with orchard grass or timothy. Keeps the grain/feed bill down.

2.)With the project horses, I like to get them out a showing, but it doesn't make financial sense for the level of horse that I sell (under $10,000, generally in the $5,000 area) to do that at the rated level. So I can find the rated shows very easily, but are there any schooling shows or show series, in either of those areas? Dressage? Hunter/Jumper?

3.)What's the predominant “type” of riding in the area? Right now we are in southern Chester County, Pennsylvania, so we have a ton of English sporthorse type barns—dressage, hunter/jumper, eventing.

4.)Can you recommend any good dressage and hunter/jumper trainers/barns in the areas? They don't have to be BNT and I don't mind traveling up to 1 ½ hour or so, for my lessons, since I don't take lessons weekly like clockwork.

5.)Here in SE PA, we have several free magazines/advertising journals that come out on a monthly basis (Equiery, Equine Marketer, and Horse of the Delaware Valley are the main ones). Do you know of anything like that in either area? I thought that might let me get a feel for the area too.

6.)Anything else you can tell me about the horse community in those areas? Or that you think I should know, horse related or not?

Thanks in advance, everyone! I appreciate any and all information no matter how small or trivial.

Sheila

Jessyka89
Apr. 2, 2012, 08:17 PM
Are you thinking like Madison, IN area? I moved to Madison recently and there is NO h/j in the area. I'd be interested to see what responses you get. I've been trying to find a place to board a horse that has safe fencing! You'll have better luck if you are willing to live on the KY side of the river closer towards Louisville. Or towards Cincinnati. TONS of good farms near there. I can't comment on cost of hay since I haven't moved any horses here yet, but I am very interested to see if you have any good responses.

Jessyka89
Apr. 2, 2012, 08:18 PM
On the bright side, southern Indiana is gorgeous! Way prettier than NE Indiana, where I am from.

carasmom
Apr. 2, 2012, 10:00 PM
Sent you a pm with some information.

Jessyka89
Apr. 3, 2012, 10:01 AM
Carasmom...are you in the area? I'd be interested to see what you are close to. From your location, you are probably closer to Cincinnati than I would want to board, but I'd like to see what suggestions you have for places.

carasmom
Apr. 3, 2012, 10:11 AM
http://www.tacktrunkoh.com/category_s/74.htm

The Tack Trunk in Lebanon has a nice list of facilities, trainers, farriers. I am about 20 miles east of downtown, Pierce Township. Lots of barns around the area ranging from $-$$$$, it all depends on the amenities that you want or what you are willing to pay for. Feel free to PM with questions.

findeight
Apr. 3, 2012, 11:30 AM
The KHJA (Ky Hunter Jumper) and the OHJA (Ohio) have websites with show calenders, locations links and I am sure the IHJA (Indiana) on would too. Might help to look just to get the general lay of the land...so to speak.

Depending on where you are exactly, you would be looking at the greater Cincy area, paticularly the northeast around Lebanon and Goshen-that is where the horses and shows are. Mostly the northeast side of Indy. Louisville, mostly south and east because the river is in the way. Distance is going to be a couple of hours for most, at best, and KY you would need to factor in where you will cross the river.

Think you will find prices for upkeep pretty reasonable but the alfalfa...available from Michigan midsummer, has to be hauled from the desert southwest in winter and gets too expensive unless you go to cubes or pellets. Pasture grass is typically very good up to midsummer if managed properly.

enjoytheride
Apr. 3, 2012, 05:46 PM
I live in central Indiana. It's pretty easy to buy land here to keep horses on but you might be out in the country a bit if you want that land to be cheap. We pay $5.25 a bale for grass/alfalfa mix you can get it for more or less depending on your guy, and you can get straight alfalfa or grass year round especially if you are a regular buyer.

We have A LOT of rated and schooling shows. Foxton farms and Sport Horse Inc are two barns that host regular shows. The Hoosier Horse Park hosts one HJ show a year the rest are eventing/western/dressage.

There are two A shows here a year.

There is ZERO winter show circuit. The facility with the arena size to host sold out in the housing boom and while a few places attempt winter shows they don't attract a lot of people and are awkward. Most people who want to show in the winter haul out of the state to show indoors or haul to florida.