PDA

View Full Version : How much more did your baby grow?

Sellefrancais
Apr. 2, 2012, 04:21 PM
I have a coming 4 year old filly who is currently about 16.3hh, I just spoke with the owner of her sister who is a year older who said her mare is 18.3 hh! makes me want to put her in the field for a year and not ride her if she might grow THAT much!

I have never had a horse grow more than 3 inches after 4 ... so the question is how much did your baby grow after that age?!

ElementFarm
Apr. 2, 2012, 04:27 PM
My hanoverian gelding was just 17.hh when we bought him at (barely) 3. He was maybe 17.1 or 17.1 1/2 at 4. He stopped growing *up* at 6 at 17.3hh and is now bulking up/out. His chunk really helped his overall look, and though he's far larger than I wanted, his personality and ease of handling/riding makes it work out. Neither parent was over 16.3, interestingly, (he was an accident from two 3-yr-olds). Good luck and I hope yours stays a manageable size :)

LoveJubal
Apr. 2, 2012, 04:33 PM
I have a 5 year old TB that is still growing. He is stretching out again, getting a little hippy, etc. etc.

He has definitely grown an inch or two since he was four. We'll see how much more he grows. He was starved as a youngster, so everything with him has been delayed a little bit. If he continues, he may eke out another hand or two. I don't expect much more than that, though. And, two hands might be pushing it.

Maybe some others with breeding experience can chime in here.

Sellefrancais
Apr. 2, 2012, 04:37 PM
thanks guys! this gives me a little more hope that she wont be a total giant... I'm pretty short lol I am very at home on the Ponies I am working with lol I haven't had a "big" horse in years

Bravestrom
Apr. 2, 2012, 04:48 PM
i would wager that she wouldn't grow more than 2 or 3 inches likely.

Our selle francais grew an inch from 5-6 to finish at 17.2 - she is 7 now and my gelding grew from 4-5 another inch to be 17.3

He may still grow another inch - probably - because his breeding indicates that they grow until 7 -

lesson junkie
Apr. 2, 2012, 05:01 PM
My Dutch gelding was a 16hh 2yo. He is 16.3 now, and hasn't gotten any taller since he turned 7. After that, he grew out!

Rel6
Apr. 2, 2012, 05:07 PM
Great timing with this thread. I have 5 year old OTTB who is 16.1h and I'm wondering if he will grow a little more.

Sellefrancais
Apr. 3, 2012, 03:47 PM
I had a 5 year old ottb who grew 2 inches by the time he was 7 and I sold him :) so I would say he would probably grow a bit more :)

jump4me
Apr. 3, 2012, 04:18 PM
My TB grew 2+ inches when he was 6.

I got him as a late 5yo, by time he was 7 he'd nearly outgrown his blankets :eek::lol:

horsetales
Apr. 3, 2012, 04:32 PM
I think you are safe from a giant and would expect more around 1-3"

BABYGREENTB
Apr. 3, 2012, 06:24 PM
My hanoverian mare has grown about an inch since she was 3 and a half. She just turned 5. Not sure if she is completely done, but I betting she won't grown more than another inch.

AlyssaSpellman
Apr. 3, 2012, 07:00 PM
I sold a 4 year old Hano a few months ago at 15.2, he's now almost 16hh and still growing. Once he levels out with his butt he'll probably be around 16.2.

On another note, if you end up with a giant, I'd be happy to take her off your hands. ;)

Sellefrancais
Apr. 12, 2012, 11:06 AM
lol I don't think I would ever be able to part with her giant or not, she is just my brand on crazy/ athletic haha she keeps me on my toes! that and I am just so sick of having a new horse every few years! I want a forever horse!

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone!

TheJenners
Apr. 12, 2012, 12:15 PM
I read these with interest. My ISH x TB gelding is growing right along, and at three is 15.2. Both parents are 16hh. He's heavy-looking, so I think he may be more bulk than height, which is fine with me, but he also still looks very much like a baby.

Does the string test still work at this age? Because he's still a daddy long legs :).

Sellefrancais
Apr. 13, 2012, 09:25 AM
I have never tried a string test at this age, I did last night for kicks and I don't think there is anyway it could be accurate, both methods showed she should grow another 3-4 inches. I think mine will always just be leggy.

IrishDeclan
Apr. 13, 2012, 09:33 AM
My ISH/SF cross was a little over 16.3 as a 4 yr old. He topped out at 17.2 as a 6 yr old. I'm a little person but get away with it cause most of his height is in his legs. He doesn't have a huge barrel so I don't find him to be too big for me.

DarkStarrx
Apr. 13, 2012, 09:53 AM
I had a 3 yr old Tb who grew 2 inches and got super thick, I wouldn't say she was done maturing until 7/8. She is 14 now.

TheJenners
Apr. 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
I have never tried a string test at this age, I did last night for kicks and I don't think there is anyway it could be accurate, both methods showed she should grow another 3-4 inches. I think mine will always just be leggy.
Two ways? Hmmm. I only knew of ground to elbow.

RiverBendPol
Apr. 13, 2012, 02:05 PM
I bought a 16.1hh TB gelding, 6 years old, out of a field. He was hippy, lean and narrow-NOT malnourished in any way, just lean. Once he got some good groceries and steady work, his chest cracked, he muscled up in all the right places and he grew taller. By the time he was 8, he was 17.1.....

sorrelfilly721
Apr. 13, 2012, 02:08 PM
Two ways? Hmmm. I only knew of ground to elbow.

You can also measure straight line from mid knee to top of coronary band. The number of inches is supposedly the number of hands high..

CHT
Apr. 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
My filly with the same sire as Sellefrancais, is stuck at just under 16 hands. Curious how little alike the two ladies seem to be!

When they were younger, the string test put mine at a 16.1-16.2, and SelleFrancais at 17.1 or so, and the one I kept was consistently 2 inches shorter.