PDA

View Full Version : Question on Seeds

dressagetraks
Apr. 2, 2012, 12:12 PM
Packet states days to maturity = X

Does this mean from the time you plant the seed? From the time seed germinates? From the time plant blooms?

Thanks.

carolprudm
Apr. 2, 2012, 12:27 PM
Depends on the plants. In some cases like lettuce or radishes that are normally direct seeded it is from planting date. In the case of tomatoes or peppers that are normally started in pots it is from transplant date.
And it assumes optimum conditions. YMMV

dressagetraks
Apr. 2, 2012, 02:19 PM
Radishes were the seeds of this morning, but the other seed packets in line have a similar column.

The 22 days listed on radishes just struck me as odd and made me think, "Surely they aren't measuring that from planting." I've never tried radishes before. Guess you can get several rounds of them per year.

atlatl
Apr. 2, 2012, 02:20 PM
.... YMMV

and it will. I've never had anything produce in the days said on the packet and I'm in So Cal!

JB
Apr. 2, 2012, 02:58 PM
Radishes grow FAST, so yes, the 22 days, give or take, is absolutely in line :)

Plant them every 2 weeks so you have a constant supply :) My seeds I put in 14 days ago will be ready to harvest next week. This past weekend I started another batch. When I pull out the first ones, I'll plant another in their place. Each square they have will get planted probably 3 times before it gets too hot.