PDA

View Full Version : Fit/Sizing of Hunt Coats, breeches. Best $$$?? Color?? Could I fit into childs sz 20?

Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider
Apr. 2, 2012, 10:36 AM
Dressage rider here, pondering getting a Hunt Coat and breeches, and needing a little help. What exactly do I need to know about fit, color, etc? What is the best brand for the price?

Do they typically run small? I am wondering if I could fit into a childs size 20? I normally wear size Small on top, and size 4 on bottom. I am not skinny, but more of a muscular, gymnast type body. I lift weights and run. Not sure if the childs size would fit in the shoulders.

As for breeches, I've been told that I need Tailored Sportsman by the people at Gallops Saddlery. I have yet to try them on. Do they kind of fit like skinny jeans or like full seat breeches? The waist appears to be low.

Anyone have some advice?

Hinderella
Apr. 2, 2012, 10:53 AM
I don't know how the sizing compares with dressage sizing, but it is quite different from "street" clothes. For instance, in street clothes, I would wear a size 4 or 6 in a jacket. My Ariat show coat is a 14, and fits comfortably and neatly. My hunt coat is a 10. Show shirts are sized more or less with your bust measurement, 34, 36, 38, etc.
Tailored Sportsman breeches are very popular, and so are Ariat breeches. TS are cut more straight & narrow; I find that Ariat fits a muscular/curvy body better. Most of the breeches are now some version of a low rise. I like that for schooling, but for hunting I prefer something that comes up a bit higher, I don't want any gapping. I would also want a higher rise for showing. I have an older pair of Ariat Fairfax that work perfectly, and both Ariat and TS make mid-rise versions of several of their breeches.
You could certainly try a child's jacket, but for me the proportions have always been wrong...too short in the body and arms.
As for colors, there are many choices, but if your budget is limited, you will never go wrong with a navy or black jacket and a white or cream colored shirt with beige breeches.
Shopping on line is great, and can save you money if you already know what you want, but it sounds as though you might do well to shop in person and try things on.
Good luck!

Calvincrowe
Apr. 2, 2012, 11:06 AM
Go to Gallops and try on a bunch of breeches and hunt coats. They all seem to fit differently. My knees are too muscular (sounds weird, but that's what it feels like) to wear TS breeches. I really like the FITs Beka breeches--the "control top waist" helps us ladies of largeness control our jiggle.

I wear 3 different sizes in three different brands of hunt coats...very frustrating. Once you establish your size, go online shopping for the best price.

But, without trying on clothes, you'll be shooting in the dark, and shipping lots of stuff back.

Sometimes Glisan St. has good hunt coats on consignment, too.

Apr. 2, 2012, 11:09 AM
Hi! Thanks for the information and recommendations. Yeah it just doesn't make sense for me - since my life and farm has been dressage for 25 years - to spend a bunch of $$ since I am a "cross over". :winkgrin: At least I did hunters as a kid, so it is not completely Greek, it has just been a life time since I competed at it!

I am definately interested in the used items route. If anyone has used clothing for sale that would fit me, please PM.

Thanks!

Apr. 2, 2012, 11:11 AM
Hey thanks CC! Didn't realize that GS has used hunt coats.

As for those muscular knees, please send pics! :D

PonyPenny
Apr. 2, 2012, 12:07 PM
Well, this is the way riding clothes fit for my 17 year old daughter. She is 5'4" and weighs about 100 lbs. She wears a size 0 in street clothes. In breeches like tailored sportsman, grand prix and ariat she wears a size 24. In equine couture she wears a 26. In hunt coats she wears a size 10 slim in grand prix, a size 0 in RJ Classics and a size 34 in Animo. Her shadbelly is a size 2 in RJ Classics, because she needed the vest points to be long enough. She has a child size 18 slim tall coat in Grand Prix that I got for a great price. I did have to have the coat taken in on the sides and the sleeves shortened a little for a more flattering fit. Child sizes are not as fitted as adult sizes. In a show shirt she can wear a child size 14, but the sleeves and length is too short. She wears a size 30 in a show shirt

maigenesis
Apr. 2, 2012, 12:21 PM
I am 5'4" and 110lbs. Swimmer, bike rider, and runner. I wear a 26 in TS, 16 in RJ show shirt, and a 14/16 in TS show coat. In regular clothes I am a 1 or 26 in pants, and a XS or S on top.

I would try on clothes at a tack shop, and then find better prices online

Sounding from your body type, I too would not recommend TS's. With some styles I can barely get the seam that lies at the top of calf/under knee over my calf. My calf is muscular, but not chubby, and I have to try on all styles before buying as I may not be able to get them on! I also have the entry-level Ariat's and they do not look as nice as my TS's, but I have had them for about 100 rides and they still look decent.

Good luck!

Crazy-Pony
Apr. 2, 2012, 05:08 PM
My knees are too muscular (sounds weird, but that's what it feels like) to wear TS breeches.

With some styles I can barely get the seam that lies at the top of calf/under knee over my calf. My calf is muscular, but not chubby, and I have to try on all styles before buying as I may not be able to get them on!

I feel your guys' pain! I, too, have knee issues with TS's. I am 5'3" and 90lbs, and the seam always ends up lying right in my "knee pit" and pinching me when I bend my knees.