PDA

View Full Version : CO Hampton vs. IRH Windsor (and ? about bow position)

Satin Filly
Apr. 1, 2012, 10:54 PM
Looking to get a new helmet. I love the look and styling of the CO Hampton, but for a bit cheaper and almost identical styling, I could purchase the IRH Windsor. How do these helmets compare in fitment? Does one brand typically run smaller or larger? I don't have a local tack shop that stocks both.

In reference to traditional (perhaps, older tradition) equestrian attire and formality, some would say the downward facing bow is only to be worn by the Hunt Master, and/or the "professional" rider. Whereas the "sew up" positioned bow is for "common riders". That being said, in today's modern equestrian world, I see a lot of non-professional riders sporting the CO Hampton with the sewn downward ribbon bow in the back.
In today's standards, would you consider this a equestrian fashion faux pas? I really love this helmet, but I'm not a professional. Considering this, I'm not sure if I should buy it or not? Or maybe its not that big of a deal this day in age.

brightlily
Apr. 2, 2012, 02:05 AM
I have the Windsor and love it. I ordered if from Dover and IIRC it is sold by head size, so I just measured my head and ordered that size. It fits me perfectly.

I'm not familiar with the tradition of the bow orientation. Before reading your post, I looked at the way the bow was positioned as an indicator of quality. My old Troxel show helmet had the upward bow and cost about 1/2 that of the Windsor. I've learned something new! But IMO, I don't think the bow holds a lot of importance in the show world today, it's just there.

Dewey
Apr. 2, 2012, 04:33 AM
I would agree that the bow position does not matter in the show world. I wouldn't waste time worrying about it.

The main difference between the helmets you mentioned will be the fit. You will need to try them on--the shape is a bit different.

For a less expensive alternative to the Hampton, try the CO "The Rider" helmet, which is what I have. It is just like the Hampton, but with a nylon harness:

http://www.tackroominc.com/bicharles-owen-rider-helmet-p-3558.html

supershorty628
Apr. 2, 2012, 08:32 AM
I suppose if you were going out hunting, you might not want to wear the Hampton, but if you're staying in the show ring or just riding, it doesn't matter.

That said, I have the Hampton and adore it. It is VERY hot in the summer, but other than that, it's great. I've never tried the IRH so can't comment on fit differences, but I love my CO.

Satin Filly
Apr. 2, 2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks everyone :). I think I'm going to go with the CO since I have more of a oval shaped head.