PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining a water crossing?

cheerio280
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:24 PM
I have to cross a small creek with the horses to get to the trails on my property. For as long as we've lived there, we've had a bridge going across, but Hurricane Irene swept out the foundation so it is no longer safe to cross with the horses. I've been away at school with my horse so it hasn't been an issue, but I'm bringing my horse home for the summer and I'd like to be able to get to the trails again. The bridge is unsafe to cross and the bank has a 3' sheer drop in most places so it's hard to find somewhere to cross. I found a spot where the bank is just gently sloped and had my dad clear out some brush so I could cross there, but he is concerned that the mud will be too deep. Any suggestions on how I can improve the footing without obstructing the creek?

lawndart
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:33 PM
You can make steps with logs, or railroad ties. Make them broad enough to put large diameter gravel in between them. Horses seem to have no issues goes up and down these. And they don't get slippery when wet, if you use gravel.

baytraks
Apr. 1, 2012, 11:36 AM
Found this for you ...
http://www.pa.nrcs.usda.gov/technical/Fact_Sheets/stream_crossing.pdf

Bluey
Apr. 1, 2012, 11:54 AM
If you go ask your Farm Service Agency, under USDA, they will make suggestions and if you do complies with their specs, they may cost share putting a crossing in, up to 70%.
They will help pay for the materials and work, fences, gravel, etc.

We don't have running streams, but have erosion in low spots in draws when it rains and when someone local was tearing up some concrete, we took in their chunks and put them in those low spots and they make a great crossing for all, critters and vehicles.
Just be sure it is clean concrete, not other stuff with it, or reinforced concrete with metal sticking out of it.
Ours came from the rebuilding of a local expressway.

cheerio280
Apr. 1, 2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!