PDA

View Full Version : Good "how to raise chickens" book?

JB
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:31 PM
There are a bunch out there, so what do you guys recommend as just a basic one? I want a good one that talks about keeping them free-range but also how to keep them when that's not possible (short- or long-term). I need the basics on health care (I know they're pretty easy), and the basics on feeding. I have the basics of the basics down, just want/need the next few levels :)

Bacardi1
Mar. 31, 2012, 10:17 PM
Look for books by Gail Dammerow. Very knowledgeable woman re: all sorts of poultry. Best buys for her books are on Amazon. Just do a search there for her books & consider yourself a kid in a candy shop.

JB
Mar. 31, 2012, 10:57 PM
Just what I need - another candy shop :D

Daydream Believer
Apr. 1, 2012, 05:22 PM
I'll check when I get home but a very good one I've read is "small scale poultry". It is pretty well done overall.

JB
Apr. 1, 2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks Sharon!

I should have known there's be a Storey's Guide, and that's where I found Dammerow (among others).

NJRider
Apr. 1, 2012, 10:36 PM
This is a good resource for info, good forum http://www.backyardchickens.com/

Daydream Believer
Apr. 2, 2012, 09:18 AM
Ok, I looked and the book's full title is "The Small-Scale Poultry Flock, an all natural approach to raising chickens and other fowl for home and market growers." By Harvey Ussery.

It is decent. He gets into the netting that I use as well as more permanent housing. Lots of pics of what he's doing. He's kind of a "natural" type and not really into confinement but he discusses things that are hard to find in many poultry books like working with broody hens to raise chicks.

JB
Apr. 2, 2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks NJR - found them already and you're right, it's a great site!

Thanks DDB - that sounds very much like what I want (though not doubting Dammerow's info on it) though I realize it may not be what I can do given our outdoor cats - we'll see. I would love the info on the broody hens to raise chicks since that's how I would MUCH prefer to add to the flock down the road