PDA

View Full Version : CWD saddle

Rainrider
Mar. 31, 2012, 08:43 PM
Anyone have a CWD saddle- Like? Dislike? I have a Spooner Antares that I like but sometimes my leg swings too far back-:eek: it is probably me- people at our barn tend towards the CWD

supershorty628
Mar. 31, 2012, 10:14 PM
I have 2 CWDs and love both of them. Both of mine are the flat seat, so no issues with the pommel. I think they're great saddles, the leather quality is fantastic, and the customer service is really good (it has improved over the years).

But... the only thing that's going to fix your leg swinging back is getting your leg stronger ;).

khailee
Mar. 31, 2012, 10:22 PM
Personally, I love my CWD. Holds my leg well and makes for a more comfortable ride. I recently had to use a different (mid-grade quality) saddle for a few weeks, and I could tell a huge difference- I even began to experience back pain from the other saddle. That being said, I have only briefly personally compared my CWD with other premier brands. Although, admittedly, when I have ridden in other top-quality saddles, I haven't noticed a -huge- difference from the CWD.

Kestrel
Mar. 31, 2012, 11:27 PM
I have a CWD I bought last November, and I'm sorry now that I did. It does put me in a good position, but it feels like there is a hollow in the flap under my thigh that is impossible to push my leg into. At least, not without gaining a large amount of fat, of which I already have plenty. It is also "overly friendly" in the pommel area.

So I'm already thinking about selling it and getting something else if I don't have to take too much of a loss on the thing.

I switched from my CWD to my trainer's Antares and it is sooo much easier to actually sit on the Antares. It also puts me in a much more balanced spot on my horse than the CWD does.

LastCall9
Apr. 1, 2012, 12:19 AM
I love the position that my CWD puts me in. It holds my leg like a glove and I find it easy to sit in.

That said, I'm not impressed with the quality of the leather. I baby it, it lives in my living room when not being used, only gets treated with CWD product and the seat has completely worn. It is just 6 months old and buffalo leather (which I've been told is stronger than calf). On the other hand CWD has been good about it and has offered to do something about it for me. It's just a pain that I have to send it away and be without a saddle when show season is in full swing.

tamarak_equestrian
Apr. 1, 2012, 02:03 PM
I just bought my first CWD a few weeks ago and I'm in love with it! I wasn't happy with how my Childeric looked/felt on my jumper and this one fits her much better. It actually seems to mould itself to fit anything. The mare seems to like it too. She's always grumpy about being saddled, but much less so with the CWD than she was with the Childeric. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden in, and I just feel a lot more secure in it.

indygirl2560
Apr. 1, 2012, 03:11 PM
I have a cwd saddle and I love it! My only complaint would be the higher pommel, but I have the deep seat model so that could be it. My friend has the half deep seat model that I've ridden in before and the pommel doesn't seem too high. Overall, I love the position it puts my legs in, the quality of the leather, and the wide variety of horses my saddle fits. I ride a bunch of different horses on a regular basis and this saddle has yet to not fit one horse, (a half pad is used when needed on some horses). The medium tree is generous enough to be used on a variety of horses.

My saddle is full calfskin with the special stitching on the flaps and though it is sensitive, the leather is gorgeous quality and cleans up beautifully after each ride. I ride in it pretty much every day, commonly on multiple horses, and it still loooks great. That said, I only ride in breeches. I rode in jeans once and it was too rough on the pommel. My friend rides in jeans in her cwd though and it still looks fine, (I'm kind of obsessive about keep tack in pristine condition!). Another thing I appreciate is how wonderful the cwd reps are! My local rep is awesome! She's happy to answer any questions I have and is super easy to deal with.

I had an Antares, then devoucoux, then switched to cwd. My barn is full of devoucouxs, (since a devoucoux rep used to ride there), but I prefer my cwd. My friend and I are the only ones with cwd saddles in the barn, however more and more people seem to becoming interested in them.

If there's a rep in your area, definitely have him/her out to try the different cwd models to see what works for you. Good luck!

aascvt
Apr. 1, 2012, 04:34 PM
My new CWD just arrived a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it. I have the semi-deep HJ with the forward flap option and grain leather. (Found out by trying my trainer's CWD that the forward flap worked perfect for me.. it is not nearly as forward as you would think). I agree that there is no real shortcut to getting a stronger leg, but for me, my CWD puts my seat and leg where they should be.. so that I can apply my leg correctly.
I know some people are bothered by a higher pommel. I have ridden in older CWD saddles with higher pommels that I did find a bit bothersome. The newer saddles don't seem to have this issue as much.
Fits my mare beautifully. I love that the 'medium' tree in CWD really will fit such a wide variety of horses. I have seen this first hand having been with two CWD loving trainers for the past 5 years.
Leather quality and color is beautiful.. seat and knee rolls are SO soft it's amazing. Just a few rides in.. I did not feel like I was trying to 'break in' a saddle.
I agree that customer service also seems to be excellent.. For a new saddle they estimate 8-10 weeks for processing and delivery.. but mine actually arrived in 6! Hope this helps. Good luck!

BAC
Apr. 1, 2012, 08:05 PM
I bought mine brand new in 2005 and almost no one in my barn had ever heard of CWD, now they are one of the most popular brands around. I never had any problem with the pommel, I had the SE01 flat seat (which is more like a half deep seat in other brands). I would like to point out that a lower pommel can be ordered if that is all that is holding someone back from buying one, and they also offer wool flocked if you don't want foam panels. My grain/calf saddle was absolutely gorgeous, it wore exceptionally well, arrived before the promised date and my experience with CWD customer service has always been excellent. I especially liked the close leg contact the integrated panels allow.

brynleigh
Apr. 1, 2012, 08:41 PM
I have 2 CWDs, while I love my first one I had tosend the second one back because it was all wrong. They did take the saddle back and are making me a new one but that doesnt help me out much right now, so essentially it will be 5 months since I ordered my saddle and get the saddle. My advice is to make sure you have a good rep and dont let them tell you what they think you need. My rep is not providing very good customer service in my opinion.

LTLFLDF
Apr. 2, 2012, 12:11 AM
The swinging leg especially when jumping could also be helped by the correct length and shaped flap.

I have had cllents whose flaps were too long and the blocks were in the wrong place. The right combination makes all the difference.

So I would suggest having the rep who sold you the saddle help you determine if your swinging leg could be helped by changing the placement of the blocks before you give up on your saddle.

If you can ride in as many different saddle as possible and see if any others seem to make the swinging better or worse.

And while the right saddle makes all the difference stretching exercises will help too.

I am anti riding with out stirrups. Doing it when you aren't fit and you bounce all over your horses back and are unable to maintain a proper position.

Here is my favorite strengthening exercise. You can listen to your iPod to make the sets more bare able.

While trotting count a steady beat 1-2-1-2-1-2. After you have the rhythm post 1-2 stand 1-2 Sit 1-2. It is beat not necessarily strides. After you can do 1-2 well add a beat post 1-2-3 stand 1-2-3 sit 1-2-3
When you can do 1-2-3 add 4 and so on until you can to 20 beats. It will take time to work up to 20.

It is great for helping you land from a jump and sit with out bobbling or popping up to quick because you are practicing body control as well as strengthening your legs

Kestrel
Apr. 3, 2012, 09:04 PM
I've had a great response about my saddle fit from the CWD reps. Both our local rep and the West coast Mgr. have gotten in touch with me about what can be done to make my saddle one that I love. They both had suggestions about things to try on my current saddle (like removing/modifiying blocks) or trying saddles with a different twist to accomodate my broken body. And here I thought that I was destined to be uncomfortable in the saddle because of my lopsided pelvis and crappy riding/saddle break-in skills. I very much appreciate the terrific customer service!