PDA

View Full Version : 3AAA flap -- *too* forward? Calling jn4jenny!

FrittSkritt
Mar. 31, 2012, 08:23 PM
Sneaking over from the Eventing forum, since it seems like Antares is a more popular brand in the H/J world. :)

I have very long legs and currently ride in a Barnsby Diablo, but unfortunately it no longer fits my horse. :cry: I've been looking at various French-made saddles as the panels seem to fit my horse better (plus the larger sizes aren't as heavy and boat-like on his short-ish back).

I'm looking at an Antares with a 3AAA flap. It's super long and forward -- just the ticket -- but looking at photos makes me wonder if the tree points are going to be too angled forward and interfere with his shoulders. :confused:

Does anyone have a saddle with a AAA flap and feel this is the case? Thanks!

BeeHoney
Mar. 31, 2012, 08:39 PM
You should talk to a rep to get the best information, but no, the shape of the tree is not affected by the shape of the flaps. In fact, you can confirm this for yourself by picking up the saddle and bending the flap outwards and you can get a sense of where the tree is. The shape of the tree varies between saddle models, I think Antares has one model with a "cut back" tree that is even less likely to pinch.

Lucassb
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:51 PM
You may want to do a search on this BB about Antares. There seem to have been a lot of people lately who have had problems with their quality, specifically the trees.

fitzwilliam
Apr. 1, 2012, 12:50 PM
Hi, I just got my Antares 3AAA this week and it fits me perfectly. My recently retired horse pulled like a tank so I was usually in the back seat, therefore I didn't really where my knee was. When I started riding other horses I realized my PJ did not fit. I rode in my friends 3AAA Devocoux ( she competes in 1.3 jumpers, it was a lovely saddle) and it was a great fit. I did try both a 3A and 3AA but discovered I really needed the extra space. I had a jumping lesson yesterday and my horse tried to buck me off twice (spring fever) - I don't think I would have stayed on in my PJ. As far as the talk on the forum about trees, you can find bad things about all brands of saddles on the forum. You buy what seems to work and hope for the best. Good Luck

indygirl2560
Apr. 1, 2012, 03:13 PM
I had an Antares with a 2AA flap and never had any issues with the tree or leather quality. It was an older model, (2002), but still looked great and was very balanced.