PDA

View Full Version : H/J barns and trainers Pittsburgh area?

jumperchick101
Mar. 31, 2012, 03:50 PM
Hi everyone, I am moving into the Pittsburgh area and am looking for a barn and trainer. I show in the hunter and jumper divisions. Does anyone know how the care is at the following barns below? Or recommend any trainers to go to? Looking for someone that shows and travels. Also want the barn to have great, consistent care with lots of turnout time, feed/hay and great footing and good staff. Thanks!! :)

Horse on Course
BarGee Farms
Cedar Run Farm
Hodils Farm
Apple Hill Farm

USETSomeday
Mar. 31, 2012, 04:05 PM
I currently ride at BarGee, and I can tell you that they do go to a number of shows, including Florida in the winter. The care of their horses is great, although I don't board there, I just take lessons (even the lesson horses are nice!). The barns are gorgeous, and the indoor ring is climate controlled (55 degrees in the dead of winter is LOVELY), on a sprinkler system, lighted, and ENORMOUS. Like, they have two different full courses set up at each end of the ring with plenty of room for both.
In addition, they have a grass derby/grand prix field and two other outdoor rings. I don't know what their turnout schedule is, but they seem to have plenty of room to do so. The private horses are all fat, shiny, and happy, hunters and jumpers alike. They look very well cared for.
There are four trainers there, including Barbie Bancroft, who owns the farm along with her sister. The people are very nice there, and the atmosphere is very pleasant.
I am unfamiliar with the other barns you listed, but hopefully, this will help.

Melissa.Van Doren
Mar. 31, 2012, 08:56 PM
BarGee: top notch.
Horse On Course: excellent, including rated shows at home.

If those are out of your price range, also look at Patusan Farm in Clarksburg. A little further out, but excellent training and horse heaven. :yes:

horsechick
Apr. 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
Hi-just saw this and wanted to strongly recommend Horse on Course. I have a couple of clients there and it is one of the best facilities in the area. The indoor is huge, well maintained and warm in the winter. Additionally, there are three outdoors as well. Spacious Loddon stalls, nice heated tack room with two bathrooms. On top of all that, the owner, Dyann, is impeccable in her horse care and knowledge. The added bonus is that there are several shows and clinics held there so you can participate in a variety of things right on the property. Joe Fargis will be coming there in May. Please feel free to PM me with any questions!

Cedar Run is nice as well, but has a long waiting list

I trained at Bargee for 11 years, and it is also nice, but is a more structured type atmosphere. Great facility though.

Best bet is to do a barn tour :)

Show Hunter
Apr. 11, 2012, 04:10 PM
Hi-just saw this and wanted to strongly recommend Horse on Course. I have a couple of clients there and it is one of the best facilities in the area. The indoor is huge, well maintained and warm in the winter. Additionally, there are three outdoors as well. Spacious Loddon stalls, nice heated tack room with two bathrooms. On top of all that, the owner, Dyann, is impeccable in her horse care and knowledge. The added bonus is that there are several shows and clinics held there so you can participate in a variety of things right on the property. Joe Fargis will be coming there in May. Please feel free to PM me with any questions!

Just wanted to add that I currently board there, and everything horsechick says is totally accurate. The facility and care provided by Dyann and staff is terrific. Such a nice place for me to go to, and my horses have been really happy and well cared-for there, even during periods when I have been unable to get out to the barn as much as I would like (i.e., now, as I am 37 weeks pregnant!)

Please feel free to pm me with any questions. I have lived, boarded, and trained in the Pittsburgh area for 20+ years and do hunters and jumpers (primarily hunters right now) at the AA level.

etc.
Apr. 11, 2012, 04:19 PM
You can't go wrong with Barbie Bancroft!