PDA

View Full Version : Coloring your hair to match your horse?!

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 31, 2012, 04:22 PM
Ok so im a hair stylist so i have to keep some style to my hair. Right now the perimeter of my hair is a reddish brown and the top is bleach blonde. Recently a lady came into the salon said she wanted to be a chestnut color... i just so happened to have a picture of my chestnut mare sitting on my station... so colored her hair to match my mare.
Would i be totally crazy to do the same(id have blonde highlights, have to have some blonde) but is that a little wierd to color my hair to match my horse?:lol:

bits619
Mar. 31, 2012, 05:44 PM
My hair was the exact color of the mane of a horse i used to ride. He was a chestnut with a slightly darker mane and when compared side to side, you couldn't tell his mane from 'mine' aside from mine being curly, lol.
I don't match the horse i ride now (he's a bay and i don't know how good I'd look with black hair), but it was kinda fun matching the last horse :-)

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 31, 2012, 06:20 PM
That is funny...black is also hard to get out! My chestnut is coppery...so thats exactly what i wanted to do

fourmares
Mar. 31, 2012, 06:25 PM
I remember a book about an equitation barn, I think it was Madden and Cooney's. One of the things that they said was that when possible they liked to find a horse that matched the riders coloring... so chestnuts for a blond and bays for brunettes... I thought it was a bit nutty, but...

Laurierace
Mar. 31, 2012, 06:29 PM
I want my hair to match my filly's tail. It is dark brown with blond and silver highlights. Absolutely breathtaking on a person but wish it was all one color on her.

SarahandSam
Mar. 31, 2012, 06:31 PM
Mine's usually the same shade of bright chestnut as my horse, at least when it's freshly dyed! I get comments on us matching a lot... I didn't deliberately set out to match him, but that's the shade I've been dying it for almost 17 years now, so it's fun that we coordinate. My dachshunds are both variations of red, too. (;

Me and pony: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=202668351982&l=6b05a8f2b9

When I have roots, I match the sable-tipped dachshund: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=8455136982&l=c24e036a3d

Rel6
Mar. 31, 2012, 06:46 PM
I remember a book about an equitation barn, I think it was Madden and Cooney's. One of the things that they said was that when possible they liked to find a horse that matched the riders coloring... so chestnuts for a blond and bays for brunettes... I thought it was a bit nutty, but...

I don't know many chestnuts that match blonde hair...I think I'd have to go for a palomino! My friend is a redhead and she matches her chestnut ottb perfectly.

HazelG
Mar. 31, 2012, 07:48 PM
I have coloured my hair to match my horse's. It makes perfect sense to me!

Mukluk
Mar. 31, 2012, 08:55 PM
I'm too cheap to color my hair but I am naturally red/blonde and ride a chestnut!

nevertoolate
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:26 PM
We had a grey, so DD didn't want to match him...but she did like chestnuts! Wound up borrowing a fake tail, bringing it to the salon, and had them dye her hair to match. Turned out great, but she did get strange looks from the stylists! :lol:

Pony+ an inch
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:29 PM
Well, not the color of my horse, but I did by total coincidence buy my current cardi as a brindle whose color matches my hair almost identically, particularly with natural highlights. We make a good pair when out on the town!

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:48 PM
SarahandSam i cant see ur pics i dont have a facebook :/.... but sounds like im not so crazy!!! I think ill definitely do it next time!

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 31, 2012, 10:13 PM
I actually didn't realize it until you posted this, but my hair matches the chestnut on my appy perfectly. :lol:

Lynnwood
Apr. 1, 2012, 12:14 AM
Our BM/ up down trainer loves one of our older schooling ponies a cute Haflinger cross with traditional dark pali and almost white main and tail. She 100% took combings from his tail to her salon and asked to have her hair dyed that color. She makes us smile!

fourmares
Apr. 1, 2012, 12:55 AM
I should have a grey.

horsegal301
Apr. 1, 2012, 01:32 AM
Mine's usually the same shade of bright chestnut as my horse, at least when it's freshly dyed! I get comments on us matching a lot... I didn't deliberately set out to match him, but that's the shade I've been dying it for almost 17 years now, so it's fun that we coordinate. My dachshunds are both variations of red, too. (;

Me and pony: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=202668351982&l=6b05a8f2b9

When I have roots, I match the sable-tipped dachshund: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=8455136982&l=c24e036a3d

:O A SABRES SADDLE PAD?! Did you make that yourself? I NEED ONE!

SarahandSam
Apr. 1, 2012, 09:29 AM
:O A SABRES SADDLE PAD?! Did you make that yourself? I NEED ONE!

Yep, I just found patches and sewed them onto a plain pad. This was back when they were still using the slug logo and I wanted the old logo, so I had to hunt around online and mine were the sew-on kind, but now that they've switched back I bet you could get iron-on ones at the Sabres store and lots of other places. (: (Or, if we lose to Toronto again on Tuesday, I might sell you mine for a piece of gum and a wooden nickel.)

Hunter Mom
Apr. 1, 2012, 09:38 AM
My hair and my horse match, almost spot on. We're both redheads. Nothing weird about that at all!!

Luseride
Apr. 1, 2012, 09:39 AM
When my son was about three and learned what compliments were he told me one night after I got out of the shower "Mama, your hair is the same color as Luse's when it is wet." Best compliment he ever gave me. :)

I would not want the same color as his is dry, a very bright chestnut, almost sorrel, but wet it is a rich color.

KateWooten
Apr. 1, 2012, 09:40 AM
You should do it ! I've never even thought about this before, but yesterday, my nice kid rider who has bright red hair was riding my little apricot dun pony, and one of the other parents commented on how perfect they looked together. It's definitely cute.

danceronice
Apr. 1, 2012, 05:05 PM
Well, it winds up being very similar but then Lucky's blood bay--I either match his coat, or his mane. But I dye my hair to compliment/contrast my dance dresses--why not compliment your horse's coat? Sounds reasonable to me.

KateD
Apr. 1, 2012, 05:29 PM
Yep, I just found patches and sewed them onto a plain pad. This was back when they were still using the slug logo and I wanted the old logo, so I had to hunt around online and mine were the sew-on kind, but now that they've switched back I bet you could get iron-on ones at the Sabres store and lots of other places. (: (Or, if we lose to Toronto again on Tuesday, I might sell you mine for a piece of gum and a wooden nickel.)

That's such a cute idea! Might just have to do it but with my Canucks of course ;)

JumpingAddict93
Apr. 1, 2012, 08:23 PM
Yup definitely doing my hair like this now

Hinderella
Apr. 2, 2012, 12:22 PM
I'm a redhead on a chesnut. We already match. But the gray hair is creeping in, and I've aleays thought I should save some hair when her mane is pulled to take with me to the hairdresser.

IronwoodFarm
Apr. 2, 2012, 12:27 PM
Oh no, I think not! I own Norwegian Fjords. I do not want to sport two-tone Mohawk!

JumpingAddict93
Apr. 2, 2012, 11:50 PM
Hey now!!! No picking on the two toned! Lol i dont have the mohawk, but the perimeter of my hair is a red brown the inner top is bleach blonde lol

eclipse
Apr. 3, 2012, 01:31 PM
Well I'm a dark brunette on a very bright chestnut with white markings. I cannot forsee my dying my hair to match! (would I go ginger with blond streaks or blond with ginger highlights? whichever it is, it sure wouldn't look good on me!)

JumpingAddict93
Apr. 3, 2012, 01:43 PM
Haha idk if i can pull ot off either but im ganna try!!