PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about 5 point/way breastplates.....

cswoodlandfairy
Mar. 31, 2012, 01:55 PM
So it was suggested that I get one of these to free up my horses shoulder for the Jumpers, but I am not familiar with them. I've been looking at different ones and just not sure what to get. I don't want super pricey. I've seen the HDR but it had no fleece on the chest while the Ovation does. Does it matter?

How do you keep the fleece clean...do they come off to wash?

Right now my favorite is the Ovation

Thanks in advance!!!

Florida Gator
Mar. 31, 2012, 02:07 PM
I think a lot of eventers use the Nunn Finer 5-way like this one (http://www.nunnfiner.com/Nunn-Finer-5-Way-Breastplate-p/5w.htm)

eventer_mi
Mar. 31, 2012, 05:35 PM
I have the HdR one. For less than $100, it was a no-brainer. The leather is quite nice for the price (and I'm a leather snob), and the fleece soft. I don't mind the lack of sheepy on the check - the attachment is covered in soft, padded leather. In fact, i wish all the attachments were padded in leather instead of fleece. WHat I do with the fleece is when it dries out, I brush it with one of those wire pet slicker brushes. Keeps the fleece soft for the next ride. I also like the brown elastic on mine - less work to keep clean. Here's a picture of it: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2904269350053515467ytvDmA
and a front view: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2604878830053515467EqfIXg

billiebob
Apr. 2, 2012, 12:04 AM
I also have the HDR 5-point and I love it. The leather is quite nice and the fleece bits are easy to keep clean--if they're grungy after a ride I scrub with a damp washcloth and then brush when dry. It's nearly as nice as the Ovation one but at a much better price.

The only thing I dislike about it is that the leather doesn't change color with neatsfoot oil. It's a lovely color but it's about half a shade lighter than my ebony Stubben saddle. No one can tell besides my OCD self, though.

Hauwse
Apr. 2, 2012, 07:55 AM
If "freeing' your horses shoulder is your motivation you may be disappointed.

There is nothing new about them outside of the fact that they have somehow become cool. They have been around forever, and were meant to help secure saddle position on a horse that was difficult to fit, saddle slipped a lot. They redistribute the points of pressure of the breast plate, but as far as freeing the shoulder...... if that were the case they would have been employed on most every horse since they were created.

cswoodlandfairy
Apr. 2, 2012, 12:23 PM
billiebob - I have a tobac Stubben...would it match closer to that? Mine has a redish brown color to it.

Hauwse - Freeing up the shoulder I guess would be a plus, but the biggest issue s that my current breastplate doenst do anything. My saddle still slips back, thanks to my shark fin boy!

Thanks for all the tips!

eventer_mi
Apr. 2, 2012, 01:16 PM
cswoodlandfairy - the brown would probably match your reddish brown Stubben pretty well. It's a reddish color - not orange, but red-brown. You'd be surprised at the quality for the price.

FYI, it seems to run a bit large. My boy has a large, long shoulder and the horse sized one is a tad too long for him, so I had to get the straps shortened to fit. The top straps fit well, the billet straps are a touch long, but the girth strap was waaaaay too long.

billiebob
Apr. 2, 2012, 11:24 PM
Cswoodlandfairy, it's a very nice brown that matches my reddish-brown Collegiate bridle nearly perfectly. It will look smashing with your saddle. I'm the nut who once took the billet guard off her saddle and into a tack store when shopping for new stirrup leathers.

I was using a traditional hunting breastplate and still had slippage. Haven't noticed any with the 5 point.

Mtn trails
Apr. 5, 2012, 04:03 PM
I have the HdR one. For less than $100, it was a no-brainer. The leather is quite nice for the price (and I'm a leather snob), and the fleece soft. I don't mind the lack of sheepy on the check - the attachment is covered in soft, padded leather. In fact, i wish all the attachments were padded in leather instead of fleece. WHat I do with the fleece is when it dries out, I brush it with one of those wire pet slicker brushes. Keeps the fleece soft for the next ride. I also like the brown elastic on mine - less work to keep clean. Here's a picture of it: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2904269350053515467ytvDmA
and a front view: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2604878830053515467EqfIXg

Your horse is adorable! The two of you look like a great team.

AlyssaSpellman
Apr. 5, 2012, 08:05 PM
cswoodlandfairy - the brown would probably match your reddish brown Stubben pretty well. It's a reddish color - not orange, but red-brown. You'd be surprised at the quality for the price.

FYI, it seems to run a bit large. My boy has a large, long shoulder and the horse sized one is a tad too long for him, so I had to get the straps shortened to fit. The top straps fit well, the billet straps are a touch long, but the girth strap was waaaaay too long.

I also have the HDR, and mine also runs slightly large in the billet straps and way too long in the girth strap. I had to punch more holes in mine.

I also wanted to add that I haven't had my saddle slip at all with this breastplate. I had very little with my regular leather one, but this is still an improvement. Because of the elastic, it should free up the shoulder more than an all leather breastplate, but no more than a regular elastic breastplate would.