PDA

View Full Version : Tractor Loading Ramps

bfeintn
Mar. 31, 2012, 10:22 AM
So, I am moving and will therefore need to move my tractor. I am having a difficult time finding either reasonably priced ramps to load it on my flatbed or ramps to rent or a flatbed with ramps built on the rent. I have a 20' flatbed which is the right length. The tractor is a Kubota B2920 with front end loader and bush hog so the ramps need to be strong. If I load it on my flatbed they need to be longer because it sits 3' off the ground. Any suggestions?? THANKS

hosspuller
Mar. 31, 2012, 01:16 PM
Back the trailer into the side of a hill. Lift the bushog on the 3 point first. Drive on ... :lol:

bfeintn
Mar. 31, 2012, 05:05 PM
That works fine for loading it since my current farm has a hill with the appropriate height and slope but the farm I am moving to is completely level so there is no way to unload it.

Bluey
Mar. 31, 2012, 05:36 PM
Have a welding shop make you two ramps.
Trailers generally have places underneath you can store them and a slot on the back to hook the ramps over it.

Be sure you have a safe set-up, don't kill someone getting that tractor up there.:eek:

You could unhook the mower, load it up front with the loader and then see if you can manage the tractor loading a bit better.

ReSomething
Mar. 31, 2012, 05:51 PM
I know it's a bit much but having a trailer loading dock built out of earth at your new farm would be darned convenient for future use. Unloading large hay or grain deliveries etc..
You could even use it for a drop jump if you are so inclined.

tangledweb
Mar. 31, 2012, 06:17 PM
I know it's a bit much but having a trailer loading dock built out of earth at your new farm would be darned convenient for future use. .

While this is certainly true, I can't see many people summoning the energy to build one with a shovel before they unload their tractor :)

That tractor would weigh less than a car. A car transport trailer should be easy enough to rent and will have strong enough ramps built into the price. It might be too long to transport with the brushhog attached, but you could use the FEL to put the brushhog on your flatbed and transport it separately.

If it is a local move, you could get a price for somebody else to do it with a flatbed tow truck, or just to turn up with the towtruck and help you with the unloading

Rabtfarm
Apr. 1, 2012, 10:23 AM
I just had a set of 5 foot steel ramps welded up for me by a local welder/machinist...$200 for the pair. Your tractor is no heavier/larger than a compact car according to tractor data, so any decent car ramp will suffice, just stay away from the aluminum riding lawnmower ramps on sale at Lowes/Home depot..they are likely to collapse with your tractor.

Before I had the steel ramps I was able to load my Deere compact(which weighs 700 lbs more) using 5 foot 2x12 pressure treated planks. I did take all advantage of terrain as is being suggested here, plus my trailer is a beaver tail; you haven't said if yours is. I would also jack up the trailer at the hitch still connected to lower the rear tail some more.
So you could spend $20 on a 2x12-12foot, cut it in half and have a ramp. I would suggest supporting the middle of each plank with a cinder block...just remember that the trailer will sag down under the tractor weight when placing the blocks.
I also believe that there is someplace somewhere near where you are going that will allow you some help grade-wise in unloading.

bfeintn
Apr. 2, 2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I will check into a car hauler at Uhaul or Penske!! I will let you know how it goes.

Bluey
Apr. 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
You may want to check with a wrecker company, those that will pick your vehicle up if it breaks down on the highway.

They may load it for you just for the price of a call and another unload it for you when you get it where you want it.

This way you won't have to buy ramps right now.

Equibrit
Apr. 2, 2012, 03:36 PM
Check this out; http://allrampsneeds.com/heavy_duty_ramps.html

bfeintn
Apr. 2, 2012, 06:33 PM
So I guess here is another question. My flatbed sits 3' off the ground, and has no dovetail. What is the shortest safe length for the ramps? I don't want them to be too short and flip the tractor. I have used really long 2x12s in the past, supported in the middle and everything, but had one of the supports slip and almost lost the tractor so that scares me now - A LOT.

Equibrit
Apr. 2, 2012, 07:35 PM
You don't even have a ditch at the new place ?