PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for strecthing out a suspensory after lay up

Hilltopfarmva
Mar. 30, 2012, 09:18 PM
I have an ottb I took in almost 2 yrs ago that had a very bad suspensory tear. It was either someone take him and rehab him or he would be dumped.
Long story short, rescanned in October, vet said healed as much as it is going to heal and he is sound. Was on small paddock turnout 2 months, medium paddock turnout 2 months and has been turned out the last 6 weeks in a rolling pasture. I've ridden him a few times, but he does not reach as far with that leg as he does with the other. Vet says lots and lots of trotting. He is sound. I am planning to keep him ridden 5 days a week having the working students ride him more than me.
Any other suggestions? Or just lots of trotting under saddle. He runs and plays in the field with the other horses. I've dealt with lots of bows coming off the track and have never had any trouble getting them sound and in the jumper ring. When my mares foal I will have the vet back out and just have him watch me ride him and see what he thinks.

Herbie19
Mar. 30, 2012, 09:51 PM
Where is the injury? Front, hind, proximal, branch? Does the horse's gait change when the area is blocked?

MariaV
Mar. 30, 2012, 09:52 PM
Walking is great for tendon and ligament strength and flexibility. If you have any of those pastures empty that would be a good place to walk him. Up and down hills would also help. If you're having working students ride him they could do 45 minutes of big swinging power walk and then ten minutes of big trot on a long rein. Flexibility is all about time and patience, good luck =]

FineAlready
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:47 PM
Walking over ground poles.

Hilltopfarmva
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:17 AM
Front leg, about 1/3 of the way down from the top. It was a big tear, even the vet was surprised he was only a .5 lame. Have not blocked him since the last scan.