PDA

View Full Version : Escape door width?

cpoth7
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:59 AM
I am looking at purchasing a new Cotner trailer. I am torn between the Ultra and the Royal.

http://www.cotnertrailers.com/royal_ultra.htm

The only real difference is the escape door width. The ultra has a 36" escape door, and the Royal, a 30" door. I have heard stories of a too wide escape door, and the horse trying to leave through it. Has anyone had this experience?

Additionally, does anyone have any opinions on the Cotner trailers?

cutter99
Mar. 31, 2012, 12:53 PM
Better too wide than too narrow. I've seen horses come out escape doors that were not intended for them and it's not pretty. In my opinion, the escape door is also there to get the horse out in the event the trailer gets hit in the rear, so the door had better accomodate getting them out without killing them.

There are ways to keep horses from coming out the escape door. Just use them!

Cotner has been around for years and I've never heard anything bad about them.

Jim_in_PA
Mar. 31, 2012, 03:47 PM
As to the escape door...if it's large enough for a horse to transit, a stall guard might be a good idea to prevent any silliness from the horse. The Euro trailer I'm coveting has a front ramp so I'm already thinking about this particular issue after talking to folks much more experienced than I.

Cotner, being local to me, means I've seen a few of their trailers around and they looked fine. I haven't heard complaints, either. (They also sell other brands in addition to their own)

LookmaNohands
Mar. 31, 2012, 05:35 PM
Better too wide than too narrow. I've seen horses come out escape doors that were not intended for them and it's not pretty. In my opinion, the escape door is also there to get the horse out in the event the trailer gets hit in the rear, so the door had better accomodate getting them out without killing them.

There are ways to keep horses from coming out the escape door. Just use them!

Cotner has been around for years and I've never heard anything bad about them.

^^^This!

flashwhitelock
Mar. 31, 2012, 07:19 PM
love, love, love my cotner. This is the second cotner I've owned. The first lasted 22 years. I can't say enough good things about working with them whenever I've wanted modifications or repairs to the trailer. I chose them because I was paid to drive many people's rigs down to Florida from NE and of all the ones I pulled, the cotner was the best to pull. Seriously, you can't go wrong. I would agree that you want the largest escape door possible. I've had a horse go out a too small escape door and it isn't pretty stitching them up.

good luck.

jawa
Mar. 31, 2012, 07:59 PM
After what happened on Friday, I would say that I would rather have an escape door that a horse can use rather than one they can't.

I was parked in the car pool line at school waiting to pick up my son, when another parent came running up to say another parent had a horse down in the trailer. I removed my car from the carpool line and ran over to see if I could help.

At some point in less than 5 miles the lg pony had gone down in the first slot of a 3 horse slant. At the time I arrived the owner had untied the mare as she was down on all fours but head was hung up because she was tied. When I got there I saw the mare basically cast in the front portion with her head pinned in the corner of the slant. In her original struggles she jammed the partition into place (afterwards found out it was slightly bent). And in the panic the escape door couldn't be opened.

Thank goodness I was in our truck with all the stuff. I sprayed W-D 40 on the latch of the partition and later on all the moving parts for the door mechanism. We used a hammer to force the partition open, but even with that out of the way the mare was still unable to move her front legs far enough out in front to be able get herself up.

We applied a lead rope to a hind leg and another person helped to pull on her tail and we were at least able to move her a couple of inches that allowed her to assume a slightly more comfortable position.

At this point she had quit trying to get up and I was afraid that she may have quit altogether. We got some water to sponge her down, which seemed to reinvigorate her slightly, but it seemed she understood to wait for direction.

At this point, I tried the escape door. The latch would not budge. I sprayed it with W-D 40 and used a hammer to persuade it to open. What a wonderful mare to allow me to stand over top of her and hammer at head height. She gave me a little stink eye about the noise, but otherwise tolerated it really well. Once the door was open, I went outside to assess the situation. We helped her to move both front legs through the escape door to the outside. 2 heaves on her part and we were out.

She stood quietly until the vet was able to arrive, at which point I left. She was only slightly upset at one point after leaving the trailer and that was because tennis practice had just started for the varsity team. She wasn't too sure about those yellow balls being swatted back and forth, but she only showed off her gorgeous neck and snorted a couple of times.

So for me, Make that escape door wider than not....You may need it for more than a human escape.

Drive NJ
Apr. 2, 2012, 10:16 AM
We have a Cotner, use it for hauling horses and carriage. Love it. Great people to work with, no problems with the trailer in quite a few years.

I think our escape door is 30", but 36" would be good too.