PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a horse trailer on a budget blows... Update post #34!

BoyleHeightsKid
Mar. 30, 2012, 08:49 AM
:(

This stinks... all I want is a 2 horse bumper pull that is not totally rusted away and safe, big enough for my 16.2 hand TB for less than $2500! Is that too much to ask???

judybigredpony
Mar. 30, 2012, 09:01 AM
kinda....

JSjumper
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:20 AM
yeah...

siegi b.
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:27 AM
Start looking at used stock trailers....

GoForAGallop
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah, it kinda is if you're not considering stocks. Even just being able to bump it up to $3500 or $4000 would open up so many more options for you.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:40 AM
You probably won't find an extra tall in that price range either. But you could maybe find a 7' stock.

I agree, keep saving! $3,500 will open up more options. Plus you have to factor in all the other costs: title transfer, license, taxes, etc.

I feel your pain.

BoyleHeightsKid
Mar. 30, 2012, 11:17 AM
I am definately considering stock trailers :D It doesn't need to be fancy. Just something safe to haul him in. Maybe I should just put that money down and finance the rest, but I'm really trying to avoid a monthly payment (it's soon getting to the point where I won't care!). There's a nice Glick on CL that would be perfect! I just need to come up with the rest! The inside of this one is like brand new.

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd/2926068939.html

2DogsFarm
Mar. 30, 2012, 11:23 AM
http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/newhome.asp

If it's out there, it's on here.

ChocoMare
Mar. 30, 2012, 12:33 PM
Better to save for a bit longer for what you want, than to compromise & settle now.

lilitiger2
Mar. 30, 2012, 01:19 PM
i am looking to upgrade from my BP 3H slant to GN 4H. Wish you lived near Mt as I will likely be selling mine (1994?gotta check with Mr. LT, Logan) for about $1800. Its pretty basic but in great condition, repainted, etc. I imagine you could find what you are looking for AND get a lovely trip!!:D

farmgirl598
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:24 AM
I found a 2 horse gooseneck with dressing room for $2500 last night. 1991 circle m, in great condition. Thinking about making a deposit asap. They're out there, but you have to hunt for them. How about craigslist???

shakeytails
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:37 AM
The problem is, you're looking. You only find bargains when A) you have no money and B) when you're not really looking..

I see cheap BPs fairly often. There was one on my road a couple of months ago- older steel trailer, small dressing room, and big enough for most horses. It was solid- just needed some cosmetics and new tires. I thought it was fairly priced at $1200. I was hoping these non-horse people didn't have a clue and I could buy it for $600, but no luck!

Jo
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:41 AM
You just have to keep looking and be ready to MOVE if you see one. We had to purchase mine the day it was listed - it was tall, 2h, bumper pull, with dressing room. It's not the prettiest thing on the outside but was rebuilt except for the shell. My best friend and I were looking on CL and horsetrailerworld.com DAILY for new listings. Good luck!

mzm farm
Mar. 31, 2012, 10:29 AM
My Merhow is a two horse, ramp, bumper pull, 7'6" tall, no mangers, no tack room. Has fit 18hh horses in there comfortably for lengthy trips. If I was to sell it, would be in your price range. They are out there!

Eleanor
Mar. 31, 2012, 12:01 PM
I am definately considering stock trailers :D It doesn't need to be fancy. Just something safe to haul him in. Maybe I should just put that money down and finance the rest, but I'm really trying to avoid a monthly payment (it's soon getting to the point where I won't care!). There's a nice Glick on CL that would be perfect! I just need to come up with the rest! The inside of this one is like brand new.

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/grd/2926068939.html

I think if you went and looked at this trailer and it is everything you want, took cash they would take $2500 for it. Just don't get all "I LOVE IT" first before offering the 2500 cash and don't offer the cash till you have a good all over look.

InstigatorKate
Mar. 31, 2012, 02:02 PM
SCOUR craigslist everywhere within a reasonable drive of you. I find that this is the best place where people don't know what they have and/or assume trailers depreciate at the same rate as cars. When you find something, be ready to go out there right away with cash in hand and your tow vehicle. Don't hand over any money until you have the title in hand. I agree with others that you'll find $3000-3500 a much more realistic budget. Also, tell everyone you know that you're looking for a trailer, you may find someone looking to cut you a deal so they don't have to worry about advertising, etc.

Highflyer
Mar. 31, 2012, 05:54 PM
They are out there-- I got mine for $2500 and it's exactly what you describe-- but you have to pounce, because they do go fast. I got lucky, the person who originally left the deposit on mine never showed, and I had left the last message for the guy and was the first person he called. He said the first $2500 got it, and I said I would be there in half an hour and please, please wait that long before you make the next call :)

StoneleaFarm
Apr. 1, 2012, 10:39 AM
Check for used Shoop trailers. We have sold a couple as you describe in your price range over the years, and we are not in a rural area. They do start to rust but ours were 20+ years old and the rust was very minimal. They last forever.

enjoytheride
Apr. 1, 2012, 11:19 AM
just sold
ttp://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=371858

costco_muffins
Apr. 1, 2012, 04:58 PM
SCOUR craigslist everywhere within a reasonable drive of you. I find that this is the best place where people don't know what they have and/or assume trailers depreciate at the same rate as cars. When you find something, be ready to go out there right away with cash in hand and your tow vehicle.

This is how we found our trailer. We went to Canada's Vancouver island to get it, which was a pain, but worth it in the end. We had a $2500 budget, and needed a tall enough trailer for our 16.3hh fella. Luckily we had him used to getting into a straight load, so no issues there. We found a nice early 1990s trailer that was rebuilt in the late 1990s to be taller. It had good floors, good padding, and decent enough paint. We paid $2200 for it, but had to put about $300 of gas/ferry costs into getting it.

In the end, we sold it for more than we paid, and it was VERY easy to sell later on.

BoyleHeightsKid
Apr. 2, 2012, 07:08 AM
I have been scouring and scouring... they go so fast so I just need to be patient.

I may have one on the line from a fellow cother. Going to borrow the rest of what I need from my dad.

Thank you for all your suggestions! I love this board!

IFG
Apr. 2, 2012, 08:16 AM
Be sure to get the trailer checked. I got my trailer for $2500, but I knew that it needed some extensive work. Total cost with the work was in the $4000 range. It was worth it because it is still in great shape over 5 years later.

Daatje
Apr. 2, 2012, 10:31 AM
Find a dealer that will finance. The trailer that will be keeping your horse safe is not something to compromise on!

I didn't have alot of money when I was looking either, but I had enough for a down payment and purchased a brand new (in 2003) 2 horse Elite (http://www.elitetrailer.com/horse.asp) Bumber Pull from Orchard Trailer Sales (http://www.orchardtrailers.com/), who arranged the financing for me.

Ended up with payments of only $150/mo on a trailer that was top of the line in it's class ($17,000).

Financing allowed me to have a safe, quiet, dependable ride for my girl when otherwise I wouldn't have had the money for years.

oliverreed
Apr. 2, 2012, 10:41 AM
I will recommend Orchard Trailer any day of the week. They are great.

GoForAGallop
Apr. 2, 2012, 10:43 AM
Financing allowed me to have a safe, quiet, dependable ride for my girl when otherwise I wouldn't have had the money for years.

Eh, yeah, but you don't have to go into debt just for a safe trailer. I paid $3500 for my Trail-et New Yorker.

https://invimg.autofunds.com/InventoryImages/2012/01/26/654_220354_90985986_1224026222012.jpg (Not my trailer, but identical minus the diamond plate.)

There's nothing unsafe, unquiet, or undependable about it. I stalked local classifieds sites for months, waiting to pounce. Finally found it, called the day it was posted, and went to see it the next day. The owners were getting rid of it only because they were buying a larger gooseneck Trail-et.

I've since had offers up to $6k for my 24 year-old trailer, cause Trail-ets are just that awesome and it's in great shape. There's literally nothing that can "go bad" on a trailer (as there is in cars) as long as you keep them maintained and fix any wear/tear before it's an issue.

Daatje
Apr. 2, 2012, 10:55 AM
Eh, yeah, but you don't have to go into debt just for a safe trailer. I paid $3500 for my Trail-et New Yorker.

I had a Trail-et New Yorker in the early 90's, or rather my Dad did, as he bought it. It was indeed a nice trailer, but honestly, the Elite blows the Trail-et out of the water.

I agree that you don't have to spend $17K to get a safe ride for your horse, but when I was looking, there was nothing under 2K (down payment on the Elite) that my giraffe would fit in! And I was blown away by the fit, finish and quality of the Elite trailers.

I paid the loan off in 4 years (5 short of the life of the loan) so wasn't in debt over it for long. It was absolutely worth it.

GoForAGallop
Apr. 2, 2012, 11:27 AM
I had a Trail-et New Yorker in the early 90's, or rather my Dad did, as he bought it. It was indeed a nice trailer, but honestly, the Elite blows the Trail-et out of the water.

I agree that you don't have to spend $17K to get a safe ride for your horse, but when I was looking, there was nothing under 2K (down payment on the Elite) that my giraffe would fit in! And I was blown away by the fit, finish and quality of the Elite trailers.

I paid the loan off in 4 years (5 short of the life of the loan) so wasn't in debt over it for long. It was absolutely worth it.

Oh sure, there's nothing better than a brand shiny new trailer. :lol: I'm just saying...the OP sounds like her budget is really limited anyway, perhaps taking on a loan at this point isn't feasible/advisable. If she can just manage to save another $1000+/-, as stated, she can absolutely find something safe and sound in her slightly-expanded budget.

simc24
Apr. 2, 2012, 01:58 PM
I found an '88 Trail-et, needed some cosmetic work and new tires and a couple of light bulbs, but everything that counted was safe and in good condition. It's 7'5", electric brakes, aluminum on steel frame, and I paid $2000. Found it on craigslist :cool:

In fact, I have since gotten a big promotion and raise at work, and considered upgrading the trailer...but I have no reason to! I would be plunking down thousands extra just to look cooler... so I decided to stick with the oldie but goodie!

Miss J
Apr. 2, 2012, 03:09 PM
Not to derail, but has anyone from
Canada bought a trailer from the US and brought it up? I'm trailer shopping as well, and prices seem to be a lot more here, than down there!

Astraled
Apr. 2, 2012, 04:51 PM
My 94 Merhow was 3k a few year ago. Found it on Craigslist.

reay6790
Apr. 2, 2012, 10:20 PM
far away but looks in great shape:

http://memphis.craigslist.org/grd/2898972992.html

farmgirl598
Apr. 3, 2012, 10:58 AM
I just got a 1991 Circle M 2 horse with dressing room/sleeping quarters in good condition. Comes with removable saddle racks and other extras, and has mangers. $2K cash.

SuckerForHorses
Apr. 3, 2012, 02:02 PM
ý1996 S &S, Four new tires in 2010, floor replaced in 2005, stall divider, rubber mats.
$1800. email me for more pics if interested dineen@comcast.net

She has a picture on facebook, so i'm sure she can e-mail one to you. It's in Vermont. looks like a decent trailer too.

BoyleHeightsKid
Apr. 16, 2012, 06:54 AM
Got one! I took everyone's advice and was able to expand my budget a little. Thanks to Xctrygirl I am the proud owner of a '93 Collin Arndt that's in awesome shape. It's wonderful and EXACTLY what I've been looking for! Boy is going to love this trailer :) I can't wait to take him somewhere. I think our first trip is going to be to the vet for spring shots and hock injections if the vet feels he needs them. Then to the Steuart Pittman clinic at Rolling Rock in June!

Here are the pictures she sent me!
http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m147/Xctrygirl/arndt/Bonnie%20-%202012/

I still need to hook up the brakes and install a brake controller. Anyone install one in a 2000 Dodge 1500 that has a factory installed 4 way flat? I have this plug and adapter on the truck so I could haul the trailer home: http://www.tractorsupply.com/hopkins-trade-vehicle-wiring-kit-4-to-6-connector-1400067

I was looking for the blue connector that's supposed to be under the dash just right of the E brake and didn't see it, but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot?

TrotTrotPumpkn
Apr. 16, 2012, 10:09 AM
I don't know anything about installing breaks (I had it done very reasonably at a RV store) but wanted to say: YAY!!! Congrats!!!!

Xctrygirl
Apr. 18, 2012, 10:29 AM
I LOVE the power of COTH.

Not many people "get it" but "Bonnie" was a lovely trailer and a big part of Lad and my lives. Every time we went anywhere over the last 5 years it was in Bonnie. And "Clyde" pulled them faithfully along.

With this job and second horse I took the opportunity to upgrade and now I have "Ritz" and "Carlton." (LOL) And it's been very hard for me to imagine parting with Bonnie and Clyde. So when I saw BHK's thread and from "knowing" her on other threads I felt like she would be a perfect person for Bonnie. We chatted and went through a whole bunch of extra steps so everyone involved in the deal could see everything was as advertised and then I took Bonnie to the car wash and turned her white, while turning myself blue! (Car wash cleaning foam that you brush on....stays there for a while)

I greatly enjoyed meeting BHK and helping her have the honor of being Bonnie's new mom. I only hope she has as much fun chugging down the road with her as Lad and I have. And who knew... a newly discovered added bonus, she and her bf can fit both their 4 wheelers inside as well!!! So I guess Bonnie is going to branch out into even more outdoor fun. :D

It'll be harder still to part with Clyde... But I know we'll find him a loving home too.

Thanks again BHK!!!!

~Emily

Bacchus
Apr. 19, 2012, 11:26 AM
I tried to sell mine for $1,800 two years ago -- would have taken $1,500. Yes, it had rust, but no rust was going through and it just needed to be cleaned, sanded and painted. For less than an extra $1,000, it would have been awesome!

Fully enclosed, 7'2" interior, very wide, drop down windows, vents, ramp, large dressing room, water tank, weight distribution hitch. No takers:( Sold to to a neighbor without the hitch or water tank for $1,000. It's just sitting in his yard.

BoyleHeightsKid
Apr. 19, 2012, 12:07 PM
I think I'm going to have a sticker made for the back of the trailer! :D

Thanks again Emily! I know Boy and I will have just as much fun as you and Lad did. Now I will have the freedom to go anywhere I want, when I want! So look out for us we might be at a clinic or show near you soon!

Hehe... I'll have to post a picture of him in it for his first trip. I wonder if he will know I bought that trailer just for him? :)

Bacchus if I had been looking for a trailer then, I probably would have totally taken you up on that deal. I waited this long because I didn't have anything to pull one with, so when the bf said "just get a trailer hon and use my truck" it didn't take me long to get one!