PDA

View Full Version : Just got new field boots...

vtdobes
Mar. 30, 2012, 08:35 AM
I just got a new pair of field books (Tredstep Donatello) and have a question about the laces. My old boots (20+ yrs old!) have laces that I actually tie every time I use them. These new boots have laces but they don't seem to be "tieable"....as in the laces are there but there are no ends to tie.

Is this how they are nowadays? Or do I need to pull the laces out and re-lace them so there are ends to tie?

I feel a little bit like a dummy about this!!

TPF Hunter
Mar. 30, 2012, 08:47 AM
Since tall boots are made with zippers now, the field boot laces are virtually useless. This is why a lot of people are buying dress boots without the laces. They have added the "fake laces" as sort of a veneer just for the look if thats what you prefer.

Electrikk
Mar. 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
I know my boots just have elastic that looks like a tie minus the actual tied part. Is this kind of what your talking about?
Even if your boots do have a knot, it shouldn't be necessary to retie them every time you put them on, assuming you have zippers :)

BAC
Mar. 30, 2012, 01:23 PM
Since tall boots are made with zippers now, the field boot laces are virtually useless. This is why a lot of people are buying dress boots without the laces. They have added the "fake laces" as sort of a veneer just for the look if thats what you prefer.

There is no such thing as "dress boots without the laces." :rolleyes: Dress boots never have laces. Dress boots, field boots and dressage boots are all different, there is another thread already about this you should read.

mpsbarnmanager
Mar. 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
I think the OP meant "dress boots, without laces", as in describing dress boots. That's how I read it.

lachevaline
Mar. 30, 2012, 01:54 PM
Wasn't there another thread about this a few days ago?

BAC
Mar. 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
I think the OP meant "dress boots, without laces", as in describing dress boots. That's how I read it.

Are you referring to my post? If so, I was not referring to the OP, I am referring to TPF's comment.

BAC
Mar. 30, 2012, 01:56 PM
Wasn't there another thread about this a few days ago?

Yup, as I mentioned in my first post. Everyone should read that instead of posting the same stuff here all over again. :yes:

vtdobes
Mar. 30, 2012, 02:34 PM
I know my boots just have elastic that looks like a tie minus the actual tied part. Is this kind of what your talking about?
Even if your boots do have a knot, it shouldn't be necessary to retie them every time you put them on, assuming you have zippers :)

This is what I'm talking about. They are field boots (NOT dress boots) with laces but the laces don't look like the laces on my 20 yr old boots. I guess yes now that they have the zippers the laces are not as functional.

thanks!

sarcam02
Mar. 30, 2012, 02:46 PM
Today's elastic inserts are "faux laces" that are mostly for show. Generally people only use the zipper for boot access. I cut out my elastic inserts and replaced them with old school laces because I prefer to have control over the tightness around the ankle one they are on.

Kristy-nnn
Mar. 30, 2012, 03:25 PM
There is no such thing as "dress boots without the laces." :rolleyes: Dress boots never have laces. Dress boots, field boots and dressage boots are all different, there is another thread already about this you should read.

She was clearly describing the dress boot. She should have said "dress boots, which don't have laces" instead, but it was really quite clear what she meant.. no :rolleyes: needed.

Essentially, the laces in new field boots (not all, but the ones you are describing) are just decoration, they don't function. You can however cut them out, like an above poster mentioned, and put regular laces in if you wish.

BAC
Mar. 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
She was clearly describing the dress boot. She should have said "dress boots, which don't have laces" instead, but it was really quite clear what she meant.. no :rolleyes: needed.

It was not clear to me at all, and after the previous thread with all the people who didn't know the difference between dress and field, it was easy to make that assumption. :rolleyes: :lol:

Trixie
Mar. 30, 2012, 04:35 PM

That's how I read it, too.

I thought TPF answered the question quite helpfully.

Sarabeth
Mar. 30, 2012, 06:27 PM
I cut out my elastic inserts and replaced them with old school laces because I prefer to have control over the tightness around the ackle one they are on.I did this, too. I have high insteps and the elastic fake laces caused unbearable pressure.