PDA

View Full Version : Non climb fencing. Is it safe for Foals?

dralthea
Mar. 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
I had 3 unexpected foals born this winter when 3 of my mares got pregnant by a renegade colt. I am keeping one of the foals, so trying to baby proof my paddock so I can bring mother and baby home. I currently have 3 board fencing with electric wire on the top and middle rails. I am concerned about coyotes during the day when I am at work, so I ordered a large shipment of the 2x4 inch Red Barn non climb fencing. It arrived today, but after looking at it, Im paranoid that the foal' s foot might get caught in the fence if it kicks out. I could not find the diamond mesh brand anywhere. Does anyone with foals have experience with this type of fencing? I have not put it up yet. And am now wondering if it is worth all the trouble.
Please , any feedback would be greatly appreciated since I have never had a foal at home.

BasqueMom
Mar. 30, 2012, 03:50 AM
Tractor Supply carries Red Brand's diamond mesh...called Keep Safe Horse Fence.

everafterfarm
Mar. 30, 2012, 08:48 AM
I am a breeder and I have all no-climb fence. Have never had a foal get a hoof caught, not even a pony foal. I like it because it keeps other animals out, and mine in. I had a foal run smack into it and she just bounced right off, got up, and continued her game. I have had my fence for 9 years, it's the Red Brand as well, and it still looks good. I did have it pro installed though and we also have a board on top. The diamond mesh another mentioned is great too, but since you already have bought the no-climb I would just use that.

judybigredpony
Mar. 30, 2012, 09:06 AM
I am a breeder and I have all no-climb fence. Have never had a foal get a hoof caught, not even a pony foal. I like it because it keeps other animals out, and mine in. I had a foal run smack into it and she just bounced right off, got up, and continued her game. I have had my fence for 9 years, it's the Red Brand as well, and it still looks good. I did have it pro installed though and we also have a board on top. The diamond mesh another mentioned is great too, but since you already have bought the no-climb I would just use that.

100% agree

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Mar. 30, 2012, 09:07 AM
I have the no-climb fencing & it's great. Many many of the world's best horse farms have this for the mares & foals with the diamond mesh on the stallion's paddocks as it's a little tougher.
Also, why not get a donkey? They'll handle your coyote problems quickly.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:42 AM
Diamond mesh no climb with a sight board would be IDEAL foal fencing in my book. :)

EventerAJ
Mar. 30, 2012, 02:46 PM
Plenty of TB farms in KY are no-climb, or diamond mesh, or just plain 3 or 4-board. We had a mix of diamond-mesh and 3 or 4-board at a farm I managed. Never had a problem with the foals and the fence.

Coyotes weren't a problem, either. I saw a pair of them many mornings, cutting through the field-- which was diamond mesh, by the way! There was a small hole in an unlevel drainage area where the mesh wasn't flush to the ground, and critters would tunnel under it. Our coyotes had plenty of squirrels, rabbits, and rodents to eat; our horses (of any age) were never bothered in the least. Mares & foals lived out 24/7 at 30 days.

dralthea
Mar. 30, 2012, 09:40 PM
Thank you all for your posts. No one in the NE area carries the diamond mesh type of fencing, even Tractor Supply, so I am relieved to hear that so many folks are happy with the no- climb fence for mares and foals. I live on two acres , 5 miles outside a major urban area, so hungry coyotes are a big problem. They attacked a neighbors pony last year.
I plan to put up the fence tomorrow . Any advice on how to attach it to the fence post would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate everyone's input.:)

wsmoak
Mar. 30, 2012, 09:56 PM
Go to Red Brand's website and watch the installation videos.

You have to unlock the little metal bits and strip off the vertical wires so you have a long horizontal piece loose to wrap around your corner post and tie back to itself.

Then you stretch it, staple it to the posts, including the far corner post, and repeat the stripping and wrapping routine.

But... if you have a mare in with her foal, I don't think coyotes are going to be a problem. My neighbor has multiple foals a year in 3-rail vinyl fencing (no wire) and we have a *large* coyote population in the nearby creek bed, with no issues.

Your corner posts need to be well braced and preferably set in concrete, or the wire *will* cause them to shift, the wire will sag, and the boards will pop off the posts. The wire will still do its job, it just won't look as pretty.

I'm having trouble picturing this. Usually with post and board fencing the boards are on the *inside* facing the horses. Where are you putting the wire? Honestly your existing fence sounds just fine. :)

dralthea
Mar. 31, 2012, 11:54 PM
I have slip rail fencing, so boards are in the middle of the posts.
I am putting the no climb fence on the inside. Unfortunately, I could not open RedBrands video, it doesn't work with the IPad.
Adobe flash player! darn! I plan to put it up tomorrow with a neighbors help, your directions were helpful, thanks, I'm still a bit confused about stripping off the vertical wires, but, hopefully it will be clear when I unroll the fence tomorrow. Yes, you may be right about my current fence being adequate, but I do plan to wean the foal by July, and the slip rail just worries me.
That's a whole other subject I will need advice on since I have heard nightmare stories about the weaning process.
:confused:

Valentina_32926
Apr. 3, 2012, 02:14 PM

I've had the same "foal bounce" experience - just took off a little hair and taught foal to turn more quickly! :lol:

TrotTrotPumpkn
Apr. 3, 2012, 02:24 PM
I have slip rail fencing, so boards are in the middle of the posts.
I am putting the no climb fence on the inside. Unfortunately, I could not open RedBrands video, it doesn't work with the IPad.
Adobe flash player! darn! I plan to put it up tomorrow with a neighbors help, your directions were helpful, thanks, I'm still a bit confused about stripping off the vertical wires, but, hopefully it will be clear when I unroll the fence tomorrow. Yes, you may be right about my current fence being adequate, but I do plan to wean the foal by July, and the slip rail just worries me.
That's a whole other subject I will need advice on since I have heard nightmare stories about the weaning process.
:confused:

There are a billion weaning threads on the breeding forum.

I did the worst weaning possible and it still ended up being ok. ;)

Damrock Farm
Apr. 3, 2012, 09:02 PM
Tractor Supply DOES carry diamond mesh. It's their own brand called Keep Safe and you have to go into the store and special order it. That said, the 2X4 mesh works fine for foals. :)

fairtheewell
Apr. 5, 2012, 01:11 PM
A good pair of "Fence Pliers" are your best friend. Also, when you need to cut through the red heavier line of wire, you need some heavy pliers and/or bolt cutters...it just makes it easier. Just a couple of tips. You get them at Tractor Supply. If you need to remove the staples ever, use the hook part behind the wire/staple, hit with a hammer, and just rock the tool. I just took down 350' of non-climb to use it for a different paddock. Always install the fencing on the inside of the posts. I've used it for years...great stuff.