PDA

View Full Version : Outreach Hunter Challenge

eq3019
Mar. 29, 2012, 10:08 PM
I didn't even know this existed until I was looking at a prizelist. What exactly is the purpose of this?

Here is the link I found about it:
http://www.ushja.org/programs/affiliate/affiliate_hunterchallenge.aspx

Any experiences/thoughts?

LeandraB
Mar. 29, 2012, 10:19 PM
I've never competed in it, but it is basically a hunter derby at a bunch of different levels so that everyone can compete!

Electrikk
Mar. 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
I haven't participated in that exactly, but a lot of the local shows in my area have something similar, where they have a derby course offered at many different heights to accommodate a large variety of riders. It's lots of fun for everyone, a good way to mix things up a bit and make a show more interesting/challenging for horse and rider, but it's a bit more relaxed than a typical derby course.

TrakeGirl
Mar. 30, 2012, 02:43 PM
Negative ghostrider, not a derby at all...at least around here. Have ridden in a few of these and usually they make one of your regular hunter rounds in your division, the first round of the "Hunter Challenge". You get a number score on it and if you place in the top whatever (6?8?, can't remember), you get called back to do Round 2.

Now, Round 2 yes...might be a little more fun than your typical hunter course (outside/diagonal/outside/diagonal)...but it is over the same fences you go over in your regular division. Typically they might add an element or two of interest...like a roll back or a bending line or something. And you can ride it like a derby - like go straight to the first fence, etc...brilliance is rewarded.

The point of it? Well...I am not exactly sure. You have to pay $15 to USHJA to become an Outreach member...but don't have to pay the full USEF/USHJA fees to do them. So that is enticing to some people. The shows that host Outreach classes have to apply and be accepted to the program - and are then held at certain standards for safety, organization, etc. So that is nice. The classes themselves are more expensive (like if a regular class is $22...these are like $35 and no guarantees you get to do the second round)...but you get year end points/zone awards etc...so maybe sort of a way to compete "nationally" without having to shell out the $$$$$ to go to A shows? And only the lower levels are included (2 ft, 2'6 and 3ft).