PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the Eccotemp tankless water heater?

fatorangehorse
Mar. 29, 2012, 09:34 PM
I have one. Have loved it. Now, it appears that everything is working right, but it just isn't heating the water very well. Any suggestions?

Jim_in_PA
Mar. 29, 2012, 10:18 PM
I'm not familiar with that brand...the two we have are other brands, but if you've had the unit for some time, it may need de-scaling. (A good clean out) Check your manual for the process for the unit you have. If you don't have the paper manual, it's very likely you can get a copy online as a download from somewhere.

barnmaven
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:41 PM
I put one in my barn/tack room this winter, and have been disappointed with the results. The flow produced is significantly less than with the old water heater. When I use it with the hose it barely has an impact on the temperature of the water. The performance seems to have improved with the warmer weather. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought one significantly larger than recommended.

Bluey
Mar. 31, 2012, 12:22 PM
We considered one here and the builder said that, with our hard water, loaded with minerals, mostly calcium, those heaters were giving too much trouble where owners insisted he put them in, he could not recommend them.

You may want to consider, if you can't get it to work, to go back to a regular tank water heater.

Ambitious Kate
Mar. 31, 2012, 02:20 PM
Can follks point out or link some good water heaters?

Ambitious Kate
Mar. 31, 2012, 02:33 PM
Its ok, I found this thread http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum//showthread.php?t=179494 answering my questions.

ayrabz
Mar. 31, 2012, 03:35 PM
hmmmmm--- still haven't installed my eccotemp (propane L10 model) and, now am wondering about the hard water concern-----(very hard water from that well)----since mine will be run off a hose connection from hydrant: does anyone know if there is a small screw on/hose or hydrant small type of changeable softener/filter ? I can purchase for the hose that will connect to unit?

TIA!

Jim_in_PA
Mar. 31, 2012, 03:43 PM
I put one in my barn/tack room this winter, and have been disappointed with the results. The flow produced is significantly less than with the old water heater. When I use it with the hose it barely has an impact on the temperature of the water. The performance seems to have improved with the warmer weather. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought one significantly larger than recommended.

One thing to remember is that tankless units have minimum flow requirements and they will not produce consistent hot water if the flow rate from the cold source drops below that minimum rate. We had a problem with our guest suite shower head in that respect as it was "closed down" too far by the manufacturer and thus, someone taking a shower had to also turn on the sink hot water to insure they got constant hot water. Once I drilled out the shower head...it will get hot water for hours if one wanted that.