View Full Version : Patching calves on field boots??

Gil's Girl
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:55 PM
I'm wearing through the right calf on my great, old Ariat Crownes that I use for schooling - they're on the way out, but I figure I can still get a bit more wear out of them with patches on the inner calf...

Has anyone had this done? Any ideas what it would cost, and would I need anyone special to do it, or just a regular cobbler/shoe repair place? Should they use a particular kind of leather, and have you ever had the patch feel funny when you ride?

These boots have that window of thin leather over the calf - that's what's going - so I worry that anything not done right will rub the hell out of my legs - I already can't ride in anything but tall boots bc my legs get ripped up.

Any experiences would be great!

Mar. 29, 2012, 04:30 PM
There is a cobbler in Mount Kisco, NY who has done that repair -beautifully - on several occasions. I believe the cost is between $50 and $100 per boot.

Mar. 29, 2012, 05:14 PM
I had a pair of the stretchy leather sergios that wore out in calf super quickly. I had a saddle repair guy in my area put a patch on the insides with leather patches and it came out awesome, couldnt even tell that I had a repair done. You could barely feel the difference when riding as well. Only cost me $35 and it lasted forever. If you can get it done for cheap especially since they are just for schooling I would highly recommend getting it done!

Mar. 29, 2012, 07:17 PM
I wore a hole all the way through my boots. We went to a cobbler who also works with tack. I'm not sure exactly what he did, but I think he cut the stitching at the top of the boot so the inside leather was separated from the outer layer of leather. Then he cut a big rectangle out of the outer layer of leather- big enough that the edges of the patch wouldn't be rubbed by the stirrup leather. Then he put a new patch of leather on the hole and sewed the boot back together at the top. It looks great and so far hasn't ripped yet! He used a nicer kind of leather on the patch, but as long as the leather is somewhat alike I'm sure it will work fine. It was a little strange at first but now I don't even notice it. I don't know where you are located, but if your located around Philadelphia, I used a guy named Birum in West Chester/ Malvern. It wasn't too expensive either!