PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late in the season to get show horses leased out?

murph
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:38 PM
Getting in panic mode due to spring coming so quickly and horses/ponies with no riders, so curious what others are finding with the market.

Have 2 awesome jumper/eq/medal horses plus a couple very nice hunters and small and medium ponies for sale and it's a darned tough market out there so have decided that leasing would be OK for this year...get them seen and hopefully get them sold at the end of the season. All totally made with good A show miles, not greenies. They are all in the 10-30k price range but nothing in that range seems to be moving and my location (Canada) doesn't seem to help. The under 10k ones are flying out the door but nothing over that right now. Can't afford to send them off to consignment barns either and have been ripped badly that way in the past.

SO what is everyone finding is going on with the lease market? Is anything moving? And is the typical 1/3 of value still applicable or is the market flooded and lease fees have to be lower to get the deal done? What about insurance? Who pays?

And the biggie - is it TOO LATE in the season to even get anything done? Unfortunately I'm really late even getting started advertising as we don't have an indoor arena and the horses have only just started back into work in the last month after a long cold winter. They can be whipped into show shape fairly quickly (all are riding great) but I'm thinking it's pretty late in the season as everyone who is going to show over the summer has likely long since bought or leased by now? Am I right or are people still shopping?

Considering doing an email blitz of barns in the northeast to see if I can dig up some trainers with clients still looking. Anyone have suggestions on good barns to contact?

Thanks for your input :)

findeight
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
Nope, never too late. You may only be able to lease for 7 months but it's more affordable for your leasee and out of your wallet for 7 months;).

Don't forget those who have had their horse break and laid up for the rest of the year who will be looking to lease.

That's a good way to get them out there and current to help your sale efforts when they come back. People don't want what they don't know when it comes to made show horses.

lachevaline
Mar. 29, 2012, 04:20 PM
Well, it's certainly not too late to try - what's the harm? And I think people are always looking to lease, honestly.

Across Sicily
Mar. 31, 2012, 02:58 PM
No, it's not too late. I know of several riders who are still looking for a lease situation this year, or who have had something happen where suddenly they need a horse.

I don't know that the 1/3 lease price applies up here, though. I wouldn't say I'm the most knowledgeable person about it, by any stretch, but in my limited experience they are going for less.

SquishTheBunny
Apr. 1, 2012, 12:07 PM
Not at all. However, you need to change your advertising methods.

The first chestnut horse, what has he done? EC results show a horse with his name do some 1.1m jumper classes, and a seperate horse do the 2'9 huntrs on the B circuit. Get a complete history on show results, and advertise him as to what he does best (2'9 hunter packer or 1.1m jumper). There didnt appear to be any results in the adult am hunters.

Safe 2'9 horses are just as easy, if not easier, to lease out than the 3' horses. You need to lease (and price accordingly) to your target audience. Is he a winning 1.10m jumper? Is he a winning hunter? Show him off to his best ability, and where he would be easiest to ride.

The second mare you are looking to sell/lease out as a big eq horse, comes up with no search results in Canada. Maybe look into her actual show history and post some of this. Potential buyers/leasee's will look into this and if you can have the documents available for proof, a GOOD show record will help get her leased out.

I have no comments on the ponies, no idea how pony sales/leases work.

They appear to be nice horses, but lack a visual show record. I would also work on getting some pictures that really pop out and say "Classy". Some of the photos look quite sloppy (rider with loose hair, baggy shirts and sloppy position), tidy the rider up, polish the tack/hooves and even get the horses clipped up/braided. Its amazing what polished pictures/videos can do while advertising horses.

Also, describe why you are leasing them out - especially as it looks like they have both recently had other owners. Puts up red flags to some people why you purchased them and are looking to get rid of them so quickly.

Put some time into updating their website with show results tpp, and highlight what they have been PROVEN to do. This will help you get a fast, and appropriate lease :)

Good luck!

SquishTheBunny
Apr. 3, 2012, 08:57 PM
Just want to appologize to the OP. My post was in no way meant to be a personal attack, rather than suggestions to help get her nice horses leased out.

SpicyMonarch
Apr. 4, 2012, 02:07 AM
Never too late! I'm currently shopping and being pleasantly surprised with what I'm finding!

Rel6
Apr. 4, 2012, 01:16 PM
When I was a junior leasing for six months I always leased from March-August or April-September. For a four month lease I leased May-August, so right around now is when I would be really looking and starting to try horses.

So no, not too late especially if you are willing to consider a shorter term (4 months) lease.

Canadapony
Apr. 4, 2012, 03:24 PM
Some people have been trying to tell me it is too late to sell/lease my large ponies but over the past week or so I have started to get many inquiries