PDA

View Full Version : Will horses eat knockout roses and/ or daylillies?

ThirdCharm
Mar. 29, 2012, 02:01 PM
Want to do something along a fence line with a 'decorative' area on one side, horses on the other....

Sunnyhorse
Mar. 29, 2012, 02:07 PM
We have wild daylilies (they're common along roadsides around here) in our pasture, and the horses show no interest in them whatsoever.

JB
Mar. 29, 2012, 02:12 PM
The deer will love you ;)

Trevelyan96
Mar. 29, 2012, 02:15 PM
Mine LOVE daylilies.

Bacardi1
Mar. 29, 2012, 02:59 PM
Horses (& deer) will happily eat both.

SGray
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:02 PM
I have roses against the fence line -- I put hotwire on the horse side

BaroquePony
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:09 PM
Yes. Some don't, but .....

ReSomething
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:39 PM
Mine didn't care, but when I let them into the small area to scavenge the grass there, I discovered that according to the old guy, thornless blackberries are the best belly scratchers around. He doesn't care to eat stuff, he just scratches on it.

BumbleBee
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:55 PM
Only if you don't want them to. ;D

msj
Mar. 29, 2012, 04:29 PM
Only if you don't want them to. ;D

So true! :lol:

Actually, I've had the farm for 22 yrs and only 1 horse thought my daylilies were good to eat. :yes:

Any areas where I couldn't get to with my riding mower, like the corners of my outdoor ring, got daylilies planted so I didn't have to come back with a push mower. As a result, I have daylilies up the kazoo so to speak. Besides, they are so easy to take care of and very hard to kill. :D

Can't comment though about the roses, never had any luck with the ones that were here when I moved in so I dug them up and tossed them. :)

jump4me
Mar. 29, 2012, 04:38 PM
Mine (particularly the one, but both will) make the daylillies be gone pronto. He even sticks his head *under* the electric fence to get at them :lol:

DakotaTA
Mar. 29, 2012, 04:58 PM
My horse thinks roses are candy, thorns and all. I've never had him around daylillies.

SmartAlex
Mar. 29, 2012, 05:18 PM
The deer will love you ;)

Daylillies are one of only two things my deer don't bother. The other is daffodils.

minnie
Mar. 29, 2012, 06:08 PM
I thought daylillies were toxic. As are dafodils whicj is why the deer leave them.

msj
Mar. 29, 2012, 06:20 PM
Minnie-I think you might be thinking of buttercups being toxic and then only slightly. A horse would have to eat a ton (ok that's an exaggeration) to get sick on buttercups.

Daylilies are sometimes placed on a salad or dinner plate in some fancy dining establishments and are able to be eaten by humans. :yes: Believe me, if daylilies were toxic, my one horse would have died years ago!

Trevelyan96
Mar. 29, 2012, 07:39 PM
Daylillies are one of only two things my deer don't bother. The other is daffodils.

The deer don't seem to bother my daylilies, but they love the standard single stalk ones! Their other favorites are tulips and phlox. :mad:

horsetales
Mar. 29, 2012, 07:46 PM
Mine think daylillies are yummy! Never had roses

They are very edible if you want to eat them too :lol: http://www.poppainc.org/pdfs/Daylily_recipes.pdf
http://honest-food.net/2010/06/29/dining-on-daylilies/

Chief2
Mar. 30, 2012, 02:47 AM
I don't know much about rose varieties but if these have thorns then I would caution against it. I recall reading a write up by a vet at a large animal hospital about a family that brought their horse in after it had been found eating a rose bush on their farm. While the vet was trying to oil him the horse suddenly went into convulsions and dropped dead in front of the kids. Necropsy showed that one of the thorns had pierced through an organ in the digestive system, traveled through the bloodstream and gotten into the heart.

If you can keep the deer away from the daylillies, that would probably be a better plant to use.

Bacardi1
Mar. 30, 2012, 09:39 AM
Actually, the best idea is probably to nix planting anything close enough to your field/paddock fencing for your horses to eat.

1) If it's non-toxic, chances are better than excellent that your horses will eat it.

2) If it's toxic, then depending on exactly how toxic, do you really want to take a chance that one or more of your horses won't at least try it, & perhaps become ill or even die?

judybigredpony
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:04 AM
Plus its a pain to mow and trim around...try using some big planters with season plants inside and we stick solar lights as well very decorative functional and easy to mow around...

carolprudm
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:43 AM
I'm redoing much of my landscaping this year with dwarf butterfly bushes. They are on the very short list of things my goats won't eat. They grow about 3 feet tall and rarely self sow so they are not invasive like the taller ones can be.
http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/buddleia/lo-behold-blue-chip-butterfly-bush-buddleia-hybrid
They also come in white and pink

My goats also won't eat lamb's quarters. They find both daylilies and rosebushes to be very tasty

sketcher
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:48 AM
Necropsy showed that one of the thorns had pierced through an organ in the digestive system, traveled through the bloodstream and gotten into the heart.

Only a horse could kill themselves in that manner. I would think it would be highly unlikely to happen on a regular basis.

I had a mare who ate a whole patch of raspberries right down to the ground. Beautiful, yummy, high producing raspberries. 10 acres of pasture and she ate the pricker bushes. I was so mad at her, for a moment I probably was wishing her to drop dead...

Tapperjockey
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:59 AM
Will horses eat XXX?

If you want them to, Nope.

If you don't want them to, Yes.

drkhors
Apr. 23, 2013, 10:15 AM
Just realized that I had this problem this morning. Came outside and found newest horse had eaten 1/3 of a knock out rose bush. How does that not kill their nose and mouth? Seems like it would be very painful. Never had the other horses do this. Later I came out and he was eating leaves off the trees and my 2 "followers" were copying his lead. These horses are healthy and have proper nutrition and plenty of grass. I guess they are having fun being goats today. Hopefully, they will knock it off and no one will get a thorn in the heart (from earlier post). Knockout roses are the only plants that I seem to be able to keep alive.

rmh_rider
Apr. 24, 2013, 09:52 AM
Not sure on knock-out roses, BUT mine LOVE LOVE LOVE my Climbing White Dawn. I put the liquid rose food every now and then with the bug/fungus stuff in it, and they eat it any way. I quit trying to tell them no. They prune, and actually don't do damage to the rose, I do not have to prune, roses seem to love it and are bushy. But that may just be this rose due to it being a climber. My Climbing White Dawn is about 16' wide(or more), so there is lots of browsing on it to be had. I have it on a fence in my barnlot, and when I put a horse in to mow/eat/dry from a bath the first thing on the menu is all the dandelions, then the roses, then everything else - grass. Nobody has eaten it completely.

We have wild bushy white/pale pink roses in the pasture, not sure if they eat those too. I think so. ?? But they always bloom, and are still there. Gosh they smell good too.

Horses see a rose. It is there. They must try it. And they do. Thorns and all.

2ndyrgal
Apr. 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
Or nibble at them. Odd thing is though, the ones the horses have nibbled on now have about ten times the amount of big thorns on them than the other ones that are out of reach do.

There is one rosebush in a hard to mow corner of the fenceline on the outside. Two of them will walk away from lush grass and clover to eat the new rosebush shoots. No idea why.

Idjits.

WoofNWhinny*
Apr. 27, 2013, 01:41 PM
SOME types of lilies are quite toxic to dogs and cats, possibly to horses as well. Other types of lilies are used in human food, lily buds are eaten in Chinese meals.

I *think* daylilies are safe, and Oriental lilies and trumpet/easter lilies are the ones that are toxic. But do your research if you want to plant lilies. :yes:

horsetales
Apr. 27, 2013, 05:42 PM
Mine think daylillies are yummy, never had roses where the horses were. They are used in cooking quite a bit http://www.amazon.com/Delightful-Delicious-Daylily-Peter-Gail/dp/187986360X

rmh_rider
Apr. 27, 2013, 05:47 PM
Horses will eat thistles, and cactus. Mules and donks too. They are just careful when they eat them. Seen it. Neat to watch them eat the thistles. They are very slow and gentle.

Roses with thorns - they just eat around the thorns, and eat the leaves. Brats!

Bacardi1
Apr. 27, 2013, 06:06 PM
Mine think daylillies are yummy, never had roses where the horses were. They are used in cooking quite a bit http://www.amazon.com/Delightful-Delicious-Daylily-Peter-Gail/dp/187986360X

Not all Daylilies are safe edibles. The edible type is the good old "Ditch Lily" - the wild orange daylily found pretty much everywhere across the U.S. The modern "domesticated" daylilies that folks grow in their gardens can be quite toxic thanks to hybridization with other varieties.

I do cook often with the dried buds of the wild type. Also known as "Golden Needles", can be purchased dried online or in pretty much any Asian market, & is a terrific addition to soups & stirfries. Authentic "Hot & Sour Soup" wouldn't be the same without it.