PDA

View Full Version : Gift Ideas Needed For Barn Manager/Owner

OnMyWay2TheShow
Mar. 29, 2012, 08:39 AM
A close friends dream of owning a boarding/training facility are coming true. The brand new farm is being built and is set to open this fall.
Our family would like to give her a gift basket with some helpful items. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.
So far I have come up with:

A cookbook with easy and quick meals
Work gloves
A bottle of wine
A box of energy bars

I have never boarded so I am kind of in the dark about what she may need. Anything that will help make her life easier or even give her a laugh on a hard day would be greatly appreciated.

ChocoMare
Mar. 29, 2012, 08:45 AM
Industrial Size bottle of Tylenol :winkgrin: :lol:

Maybe some nice bath stuff too, to wash away the days stresses.

TheJenners
Mar. 29, 2012, 09:42 AM
A pillow to scream into (http://www.cafepress.com/+scream_pillow_new_and_improved,273716792?cmp=pfc--f--us--125--273716792&utm_term=273716792&utm_campaign=18-75&utm_medium=productfeed&sourcecode=affiliate&utm_source=froogle&pid=6673073&utm_cp_signal=18-75).

Hmmm. That may send the wrong message. True, but no need to be a Debbie Downer I guess.

If it can be bigger than basket-size, a larger dry-erase calender or plain board, and some dry erase markers tied up in a bow? VEEEEERY useful everywhere I've been. Also, a locking mail slot box for board/training checks to be dropped into? I bet with some research, you can find an equestrian or otherwise attractive one. Laminated reuseable "Horse Info" cards? Some cute signs? My current barn as "What happens in the barn stays in the barn" hanging in the tack room, kinda cute.

Tapperjockey
Mar. 29, 2012, 09:50 AM
Gift certificates to the liquor store or a masseuse? lol

Burbank
Mar. 29, 2012, 09:51 AM
dry erase board and markers are good, as is a nice wheelbarrow if she doesn't yet have one picked out

a damnit doll to beat against the wall maybe, I wish I had one at work some days

OnMyWay2TheShow
Mar. 29, 2012, 09:51 AM
Oh these are great! Thank you!

Belg
Mar. 29, 2012, 10:36 AM
Gift card to a chiropracter :=)

Tapperjockey
Mar. 29, 2012, 11:11 AM
Gift Card to a therapist!!

Books on successful business topics (customer service, marketing, etc)? A lot of BO's are excellent with horses. People and/or business... not so much.

Burbank
Mar. 29, 2012, 11:50 AM
if she doesn't have it already the book Horsekeeping on Small Acerage, it has lots of good ideas that work for all sized barns

Herbie19
Mar. 29, 2012, 11:56 AM
If it were me I'd get her a restaurant gift card--she's definitely going to be too busy to cook!

Sunnyhorse
Mar. 29, 2012, 12:23 PM
Something in her new facility's colors? (This year for Christmas I got my trainer the Horseware Newmarket fleece throw in the barn's colors and had it monogrammed. It goes on the road with her and is getting plenty of use.)

IronwoodFarm
Mar. 29, 2012, 01:30 PM
As a BO, I say forget the cookbook! A gift certificate to a restaurant is much better and extra wine is always appreciated!

2DogsFarm
Mar. 29, 2012, 01:32 PM
Print the COTH thread on crockpot recipes for after you ride :yes:

http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280296&highlight=recipes

If you are ambitious, type out the recipes - either full page or 3X5 index cards - and put them in a notebook/file for her.

OnMyWay2TheShow
Mar. 30, 2012, 07:56 AM
Thank you for all of the awesome suggestions. They all are great. I plan on putting the items in a muck bucket so I need to add more equine items.
I was thinking of some first aid items for the horses. But any other ideas are welcome as well.

ChocoMare
Mar. 30, 2012, 08:03 AM
For some filler:

How about a few of those Wrist Cuffs you wear while bathing a horse?--they keep the water from running down your arm ;)

A couple of bars of glycerine soap & packs of mini-sponges.

An assortment of safety shears would be great - it never fails, you need to cut a bale and NO scissors to be found :lol:

Tapperjockey
Mar. 30, 2012, 03:02 PM
Utility Knives. So useful, and like the shears.. never any around when you need them lol