PDA

View Full Version : Siding choices for barn open to paddock?

SmartAlex
Mar. 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
For those of you who have dutch doors or other open from your stalls to your runs or paddocks, what is the wall sided with? And more importantly, how is it holding up to beavers and demolition experts?

KnKShowmom
Mar. 29, 2012, 11:02 AM
T&G to kick height and T1-11 the rest of the way up - holding up great after 4 years of horses standing under the over hang.

The rest of the barn in non horse areas is red metal so I painted the wood to match so unless you are up close, it all looks the same.

2DogsFarm
Mar. 29, 2012, 02:17 PM
My metal pole barn is surrounded by my sacrifice paddock.
Dutch doors open from stalls into this area.
Metal siding, metal covered Dutch doors.

After 8 years there is no damage to barn walls or stall doors.

Unless you count the scratched paint on the bottom track for the big front slider....that was me, chopping at ice...:uhoh:

horsepoor
Mar. 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
I can tell you what not to use -- board and batten. Not sure why we did that under our overhang, other than our architect and builder both were into aesthetics more than function in some things. We're adding on to our barn and one thing that is getting changed is removing the batten strips that still remain (since many have been chewed or pulled off by everyone from the 9 hand mini mule to the 17 hand warmblood with the giraffe neck, so they got all levels!). We're going to just caulk the seams in the boards and paint over so they won't have any places to grab hold. Then all should survive.

I do not like metal siding on the horse accessible areas, but I know people use it a lot. I don't like having metal where they could kick through it, and I also saw the results of a horse just getting too close to the lower metal edge -- amazing that she recovered with full use of the leg as it was an ugly wound.

FitToBeTied
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:30 PM
On our metal barn,up to about 4' is covered in manufactured stone. Still looks like new.

fordtraktor
Mar. 29, 2012, 04:14 PM
I like metal, it is the only affordable option in many places, but you need a wood lining. I had mine lined with 2 by 10 yellow pine to 4'6 high, with the pine right by the metal. Treated board at the bottom to prevent rot. With this setup it is very hard to kick through. I have never had any problems with mine.

jump4me
Mar. 29, 2012, 04:56 PM
Ditto on the DON'T use pine board & batten. I have a small prefab barn and my beavers love to eat it.*

One barn I know of that has horses directly outside of the barn has T1-11 top to bottom, stained, and works /holds up well, they can't really chew on it, barn is 20+/- yrs old & looks fine. The horses chewed on the fence instead, until they ran an electric wire :lol: now they just eat hay :winkgrin:

*Not that I wouldn't go for the prefab b & b again, but I wouldn't put it on a large/permanent barn that had horses on the outside of it, having other options available.

SmartAlex
Mar. 29, 2012, 04:57 PM
I can tell you what not to use -- board and batten. Not sure why we did that under our overhang, other than our architect and builder both were into aesthetics more than function in some things.

:yes: that's what my mother has. Board and batten in yummy pine. Mmmm Mmmmm Good!
I was thinking hardwood tongue and grooved or ship lapped. My horse is a beaver. Heck, I've even seen him scrape rust off a pipe gate for kicks when his breakfast hay was a foot away. :rolleyes: I doubt he was prepping it for paint.