PDA

View Full Version : What is typical in a 3'6 hunter lease?

svf86
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:20 AM
Several questions before assuming my train of thought is correct. Is it not common to ask for a certain amount should the horse get injured or become unsound / be sent back for these reasons while under a 12 month lease? What percentage of the lease is standard to ask for if this were to happen? We have our price set on this horses lease according to his intended purpose as well as another mare in the barn. I'm curious so I can compare what prices everyone is seeing lately for a children's hunter, also for a large junior hunter. Both horses are solid and easy as pie, neither a hack winner but will stand out. I've stayed away from leasing my own for so long, but now have two that I can't commit to letting go of! Thank you for your time.

Tackpud
Mar. 29, 2012, 09:53 AM
There is a standard clause in case of an injury and the horse is returned early - basically they are responsible for the remainder of the full lease fee, if not paid up front, and any costs associated with the injury. They don't pay anything extra - just what is already agreed upon.

westie55
Mar. 29, 2012, 10:32 AM
There is a standard clause in case of an injury and the horse is returned early - basically they are responsible for the remainder of the full lease fee, if not paid up front, and any costs associated with the injury. They don't pay anything extra - just what is already agreed upon.

This. That's why leasing is a major commitment. But it really depends on what the contract says and both parties have agreed on.

Rel6
Mar. 29, 2012, 02:38 PM
Exception to this would be a known problem. My mare failed the vet (can't remember what the problem was now) but was serviceably sound. Owner said she'd never taken a lame step and was confident it would not be a problem, so in the lease if anything that came up with the pre-existing condition we could send her back with no penalty. But this did not apply to anything outside the very specific finding of the vet.

Luckily we didn't have a problem with her at all, but it was the peace of mind we needed to go ahead and sign the lease.

findeight
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:16 PM
Leassors are on the hook for the whole 12 months lease whether the horse is injured or not unless both parties agreed otherwise.

But they do not owe extra if the horse breaks in their posession. No "damage assessment".

Generally, people require insurance with MM to take care of the majority of the vet costs but leassor is responsible for the out of pocket and deductable while in their possesion. But if horse is returned, leasee would take over as they are in possesion.

Sometimes there is a medical "escape clause" written in allowing the horse to return with a pro rated refund if it becomes unuseable-like needing a year off with a suspensory 8 weeks into a 12 month lease. That is NOT customary but some do it if asked.