PDA

View Full Version : Should I start her green year?

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 28, 2012, 11:44 PM
I have a med. pony who's eligible green that I'll be selling once she recovers from an injury, and as long as I still have her, I'll be taking her to shows with me to get some miles on her (she's only ever been shown locally).
My question is: Would you be more likely to purchase a pony who is still eligible green, or one who's doing well (which she has the potential to do) in the greens that's ready to move up to the division?
I aged out of the med's this year, so I can only show her if I start her green year. The other option would be to have her pack my little sister around the SS ring and occasionally get another kid to catch ride in the children's.
Opinions?

RumoursFollow
Mar. 29, 2012, 02:00 AM
If shes really green to ride, its getting a little late in the year to break a green, IME. If you dont get her qualified right away, you will have to sell an unqualified medium green pony. EVERYONE buying a division pony wants it qualified, whether they take it or not, especially a green one. If theres any doubt in your mind that you can get her qualified for pony finals by the cutoff, I would not break her green.

Rel6
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:07 AM
There are a ton of green mediums qualified, but not as many eligible greens who can pack a short stirrup kid around. Have your sister show her, and can't you show her in a division like the schooling hunters without breaking her green status? That will at least show off her jump and her step more than the SS would.

Ponies, etc.
Mar. 29, 2012, 07:37 AM
If it were me, I wouldn't start her in the greens this late in the season. All of the other greens will have been showing already and be more experienced doing the green division. And for someone with a short stirrup kid, it might be an advantage for them that their child can do the greens on her a different year. We have a small ss/ch pony that could do the division, but he didn't come to us until Feb and his first real show is this weekend, so we are showing him in Children's Pony and saving his green year.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 29, 2012, 09:25 AM
Thank you! My main concern was the same as yours: I'm not sure I'll qualify her, especially because I'm not sure how actively I'll be showing her.
I'm aiming to market her as a pony who can bring a SS/pre-children's kid up through the levels, but I wasn't sure if her still being eligible would be thought of as an advantage (kid has another year after the children's before jumping in to the regular ponies) or a disadvantage (pony doesn't have experience in a bigger ring).
I could definitely show her in some schooling classes to get videos and show her off a bit more, and I know a really accurate kid who can still show a med. in the children's too.
I'm currently in the process of switching trainers, so I'll obviously get my new trainers input (current trainer has not seen this pony since I haven't been with her long and she's been hurt) but I'll most likely be saving her green year.

iEquitate
Mar. 29, 2012, 09:55 AM
I would agree to wait before breaking the green to make sure you can get it qualified, especially since the pony is just coming back from an injury. Schooling classes would be a good way to show off her scope and potential for the division.
However, I just took a look at the Zone 2 (since your location is NY) specs, and I can't find anything about age for children's pony - could you show the pony yourself in those classes?

findeight
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:41 PM
With a sale Pony???

WAIT. She will sell quicker if she is eligible Green, has the jump and step but is packing a SS kid around.

Gives your buyer more options and you will attract more potential buyers. Let the buyer pay to move her up and haul to get qualified.

Once they break that Green, only a 14(ooops my bad) and under can show a Medium. If your buyer kid is a little bit of a novice, that eliminates a great many catch riders that can ride the Green but not the Med for mileage.

ponymom64
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:49 PM
With a sale Pony???

WAIT. She will sell quicker if she is eligible Green, has the jump and step but is packing a SS kid around.

Gives your buyer more options and you will attract more potential buyers. Let the buyer pay to move her up and haul to get qualified.

Once they break that Green, only a 12 and under can show a Medium. If your buyer kid is a little bit of a novice, that eliminates a great many catch riders that can ride the Green but not the Med for mileage.

14 and under for a medium

I definitely wouldn't break her green at this point. You can show in the schooling hunters and what not for now and let her pack around a little one in the SS. If she's still around December 1st, you could consider showing her in the greens for three shows, hope she qualifies and sells and then reinstate if she does not. Keep in mind that you only have three shows prior to May (?) to qualify for reinstatement. Any more than three shows or anything after the cut off (though please check the rule book because I believe the timeframe has changed since I did this with our small) you will not be able to get the green year back

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 29, 2012, 05:15 PM
However, I just took a look at the Zone 2 (since your location is NY) specs, and I can't find anything about age for children's pony - could you show the pony yourself in those classes?

From what I know, the same age rules apply in the children's ponies - 12 and under for smalls, 14 and under for medium's. However I will definitely look into it more - if I can show her in the children's I'll certainly do so.

If she's still around December 1st, you could consider showing her in the greens for three shows, hope she qualifies and sells and then reinstate if she does not. Keep in mind that you only have three shows prior to May (?) to qualify for reinstatement. Any more than three shows or anything after the cut off (though please check the rule book because I believe the timeframe has changed since I did this with our small) you will not be able to get the green year back

I wasn't even aware you could do this (I've shown actively in the pony jumpers, but only ever catch ridden in the pony hunters before buying this pony as a project). Thanks! Definitely something I'll look into if she's still around then - although I'm really hoping she's not. :lol:

supershorty628
Mar. 29, 2012, 05:16 PM
Children's pony riders only have to be a junior.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 29, 2012, 05:18 PM
Children's pony riders only have to be a junior.

Ahh, good to know! I feel dumb now, but again, this is my first time doing the pony hunter thing. :lol: Thank you!

Mayaty02
Mar. 29, 2012, 05:19 PM
agreed with most here, if I were shopping for a division potential medium, I would love to see it packing around a ss or children's kid and NOT break the green.

Sunset Ponies
Mar. 30, 2012, 08:30 AM
14 and under for a medium

I definitely wouldn't break her green at this point. You can show in the schooling hunters and what not for now and let her pack around a little one in the SS. If she's still around December 1st, you could consider showing her in the greens for three shows, hope she qualifies and sells and then reinstate if she does not. Keep in mind that you only have three shows prior to May (?) to qualify for reinstatement. Any more than three shows or anything after the cut off (though please check the rule book because I believe the timeframe has changed since I did this with our small) you will not be able to get the green year back

Just a heads up that they have changed the rule for reinstating to September.

I am with everyone else that says keep the green status as long as you can or until she is ready to step in and win it. The green division is not only free of the rider age restrictions, but it is also free of the seasoned champion ponies that frequent the regulars. Some trainers will look for a solid eligible green pony for a kid that needs more show ring experience before heading against the big guys!

Electrikk
Mar. 30, 2012, 02:20 PM
he green division is not only free of the rider age restrictions, but it is also free of the seasoned champion ponies that frequent the regulars.

I agree with Sunset as to why you should make sure that the pony will still be an eligible green. I think most buyers would love to have a year together before going against the super experienced competition while still being able to do something a bit more exciting/challenging than SS or an unrated/unrestricted division.