PDA

View Full Version : U-Ship

kkgeorgio
Mar. 28, 2012, 01:51 PM
Has anyone used U-Ship to have a horse transported? I need to have my horse shipped from North Carolina to Tallahassee Florida.

lv4running
Mar. 28, 2012, 02:03 PM
I used it once. You have to check out the shipper before you make a decision. I have turned down a few for various reasons but there aer good shippers on there.

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 28, 2012, 07:02 PM
I put a listing out on UShip but did not use them. I didn't think the pricing made it worth it for the risk (some unproven shippers). I actually ended up getting better pricing from a commercial shipper.

JumpQH
Mar. 28, 2012, 07:13 PM
I have used UShip twice, and had great luck both times. I agree, though -RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!

HoofaSchmigetty
Mar. 28, 2012, 07:23 PM
Google the following......uship complaints

You wont live long enough to read everything!!!

Many horses paid in full for transport up front...the lucky ones just lost their money...others had their horse picked up never to be seen again. Call the hauler you say? LOL Their phone is disconnected before they leave your driveway.

Not just horses...cars, boats, contents of homes......they all just seem to vanish once picked up.

Uship will NOT assist in recovery in any way as they hide behind their user agreement. Make CERTAIN to READ it if you choose to go that route.

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 28, 2012, 07:33 PM

Many horses paid in full for transport up front...the lucky ones just lost their money...others had their horse picked up never to be seen again. Call the hauler you say? LOL Their phone is disconnected before they leave your driveway.

Not just horses...cars, boats, contents of homes......they all just seem to vanish once picked up.

Uship will NOT assist in recovery in any way as they hide behind their user agreement. Make CERTAIN to READ it if you choose to go that route.

WOW! JUST WOW! Glad I decided against using them :eek:

HaulnHorses
Mar. 28, 2012, 08:05 PM
99% Bootleggers!!

Use a professional www.nationalhorsecarriers.com

kkgeorgio
Mar. 28, 2012, 08:17 PM
You guys have me so freaked out now! The problem I am facing is that its not a super popular route. I have one "bid" right now and the shipper has 80+ reviews... Would you trust this?

Infinite
Mar. 28, 2012, 09:02 PM
You guys have me so freaked out now! The problem I am facing is that its not a super popular route. I have one "bid" right now and the shipper has 80+ reviews... Would you trust this?

You should be able to find a large number of commercial shippers going in that direction at this time of year -- many are moving race horses out of florida (Ocala) and many are coming out of south florida. I can't imagine you can't find one coming out of Ocala to bring it up your way.

2tempe
Mar. 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
OP - depends on who they are...(sorry, that's not helpful!!) Does the company have a website; what type of trailer; testimonials on web site, insurance, etc etc.

You might contact Creech out of Ocala...

I was on the Florida turnpike today and saw Brookledge rigs EVERYwhere.

crosscreeksh
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:09 PM
You should be able to easily get a horse on a reputable commercial shipper for "that" trip. Tons of shippers run the I-95 route. I have searched U-ship on occassion, but got everything from cattle trailers to real horse trailers. Not worth the risk as others have stated. I personally like Ralph Smith Horse Transport out of Kennitt Square, Pa. We used them for all our race horse shipping.

Somermist
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:15 PM

Really? Did this happen to you? We have used them 8 times. For a dog, horses, a pallet of dog crates and had no problems at all. I am not saying there are not problems, you have to check out who you are using, but we have had good luck with them.

joiedevie99
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:45 PM
Absolutely not. There are very few companies I trust my horses with. I trust their drivers, their equipment, and their communication skills. The last thing I want is someone skimping on things to try to do it as cheaply as possible- I want two drivers, an air-ride semi, and a reasonable route that doesn't keep them on the trailer for days while the zig zag across the country filling up a load.

emgjoker
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:47 PM
This shouldn't be hard right now...trucks are returning horses north from Florida from now for the next month regularly.
Call Kevin Hennessy. If he can't do it, he can send you in the right direction. 610-730-9080.

Lord Helpus
Mar. 28, 2012, 11:12 PM
Call Tapp Horse Transport in Versailles, Ky. They do the Lexington -- North and South Carolina route, but I know they have also picked up and dropped of horses in Georgia.

I have shipped horses with them many times; their prices are reasonable (1/2 of what the big shippers cost) and I trust them totally to do right by my horses.

If they will not go as far as Talahassee (sp), they will iknow who does.

horsepoor
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:08 AM
I used u ship for horse transportation and it went fine. Commercial shippers were the ones bidding and I was able to review refs, etc. This was several years ago, so not sure how it might have changed since then, but I had no problem.

copper1
Mar. 29, 2012, 06:56 AM
If Uship is the group that is on the tv program where the drivers bid on loads, I wouldn't ship ANYTHING with them! They are for the most part, at least the ones on the show, are idiots!

GoForAGallop
Mar. 29, 2012, 07:22 AM
All the nay-sayers whining about rickety trailers realize YOU CAN PICK YOUR SHIPPER, right????

I found a ride for my mare through u-ship. I got eight bids in about two hours. Four were from people with low/non-existent feedback, and one was from a guy with a half-ton and a two horse, which I didn't feel comfortable with for this trip. The other three were from reputable commercial shippers with over 200+ positive feedbacks and separate, commercial websites. I eventually just went with the lowest bid (also the person who could get her to me the soonest) and was nothing but happy. She showed up in a GORGEOUS 4 horse head-to-head overflowing with clean shavings towed by a brand new diesel 3500. The owner kept in contact with me right from the beginning and answered his phone every single time I called. I paid half up front through Paypal (which gave me recourse for getting it back) and then half cash on arrival.

Do some research, don't go with the low bid from Joe Blow with 2 positive feedbacks for towing boats around, and you'll be FINE.

Platinum Equestrian
Mar. 29, 2012, 01:13 PM
Absolutely not. There are very few companies I trust my horses with. I trust their drivers, their equipment, and their communication skills. The last thing I want is someone skimping on things to try to do it as cheaply as possible- I want two drivers, an air-ride semi, and a reasonable route that doesn't keep them on the trailer for days while the zig zag across the country filling up a load.

I would never use UShip to find someone for my horses either. I want them to have door to door service and an expected arrival time. I use the same shippers regularly with success.

The girl on the TV show that ships livestock seems to have good intentions, but running out of fuel and other issues don't make for very professional hauling... yes, my husband loves that show... :winkgrin:

IrishRydr
Mar. 29, 2012, 01:25 PM
I cannot say strongly enough that you should go with ANY commercially licensed and insured shipper but NEVER go with Uship! I was required to pay up front and when the trailer showed up to pick up my horse, it was NOT as represented in the description or picture. My horse couldn't even fit in it so obviously didn't go in. I was told I would receive a full refund but was not backed up by Uship's trust & safety person, Meredith Cranch - who let the whole thing blow over and is letting this person, Dee Guess still transport horses out of Paisley, Florida on their site.

two sticks
Mar. 29, 2012, 01:27 PM
I would never use UShip to find someone for my horses either. I want them to have door to door service and an expected arrival time.:

I absolutely received this both times I used Uship. I had door to door service for my horse, with an expected pick up time and arrival time. The shipper was on time, and kept me updated throughout the trip. I actually had a MUCH MUCH better experience both times going through UShip than I did going through a "regular" professional hauler (Bob Hubbard - total nightmare and they had my horse for NINE DAYS on a trip from AZ to CA and never ever returned my phone calls to let me know what was going on). Again, you can CHOOSE which shipper's bid you accept, if you accept any.

I ended up getting good quotes both times from professional haulers with excellent reviews (both on and off uship) that I would not have found otherwise. I actually had one provider offer me a better deal through uship than through their direct quote. Would I use someone off uship without thoroughly researching them first? Absolutely not. While there are definitely scam artists on uship - just like everywhere else - there are also professional haulers who use the site to find additional business.

I would absolutely use uship, in combination with additional research, again.

Somermist
Mar. 29, 2012, 01:38 PM
I would never use UShip to find someone for my horses either. I want them to have door to door service and an expected arrival time. I use the same shippers regularly with success.

The girl on the TV show that ships livestock seems to have good intentions, but running out of fuel and other issues don't make for very professional hauling... yes, my husband loves that show... :winkgrin:

Well, everyone has a right to their own opinions, and no I don't have anything at all to do with U Ship, but lots of pros bid when you request a bid. I have always had direct door to door service and you can go to many of their websites. As with anything, you have to do your homework. We've had excellent communications and on time delivery. I've had good and really bad with big shippers too. When we ship I do what works for that shipment.

bizbachfan
Mar. 29, 2012, 02:52 PM
I would say you would do better to find a shipper on COTH than UShip, I am sure some experiences are good but mine was terrible, the next time I found my shipper on COTH and it was a great experience.

The shipper I chose carefully on Uship had great reviews, a snazzy website, claimed you could follow them on GPS, camera's in trailers, etc. Took my horse about 10 days to get from MI to FL which was quoted for much shorter. They had my horse at a layover barn for a long time because they has some sort of scheduling issue. Then once they finally left the layover barn they broke down on 95 and had to find another layover barn. No one would return my calls. Then they got nasty and said my horse put them behind because she wouldn't load. (really my sister said she loaded on the second try, she was there-besides that had nothing to do with the real delays)

The dodged my calls and complaints. When the horse finally arrived she was in a very crappy stock trailer (not like pictured on website) and was terrified as she was put in with a crazy stallion. I was promised a partial refund which never happened.

They went out of business shortly after and I heard there were all kind of lawsuits, I was lucky enough to actually get my horse. Never again try Uship, though I am sure there are good shippers on there.

Frizzle
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:53 PM
Have you tried Aprile or C&E? I've used both for shipping to/from Florida and Illinois and they were both excellent. Gorgeous rigs, lots of communication, experienced drivers/handlers, and happy horses at the end of the trip.

I would NEVER use U-Ship! I had a friend whose mother used them to transport horses from Florida to Tennessee and it was a nightmare. They said they had a tall trailer to accomodate friend's large TB, but showed up (very late) with a standard height trailer, claiming that the other trailer broke. The man repeatedly made statements about needing a beer (?!?!), they used a whip to try and load one of the mares (when friend had given specific instructions to NOT use a whip, as mare is terrified of them), and were just very shady. If those had been my horses, there is NO way I would have let them ship with those people.

Also, you have no idea if those people have a DOT number, proper insurance for commercial hauling, etc.

GoForAGallop
Mar. 29, 2012, 10:14 PM
I would NEVER use U-Ship! I had a friend whose mother used them to transport horses from Florida to Tennessee and it was a nightmare.

Also, you have no idea if those people have a DOT number, proper insurance for commercial hauling, etc.

First of all, there is no "them" when referring to UShip....it is simply a bidding service, UShip is not a trailering service.

And yeah, you DO have an idea if they have DOT/insurance/etc, cause you use some common sense and ASK in advance. Or they have a website with all of that info clearly stated. If someone can't give you that info or gets shifty about it, then you simply don't. use. them.

kkgeorgio
Apr. 1, 2012, 02:13 PM
Unfortunatly I should have listened to my gut and got continued to search for a commercial shipper. Horse arrived today, took 20 hours when it should have only taken 10, 12 at the most. He managed to get his leg caught in something and ripped off his shoe, which he had just had done and now his leg is swollen, I will likely call a vet will to be out tomorrow. This is the same leg that he had splint surgery on less than a year ago. I am really kicking myself :(

GoGrnRideIrish
Apr. 1, 2012, 04:21 PM
Unfortunatly I should have listened to my gut and got continued to search for a commercial shipper. Horse arrived today, took 20 hours when it should have only taken 10, 12 at the most. He managed to get his leg caught in something and ripped off his shoe, which he had just had done and now his leg is swollen, I will likely call a vet will to be out tomorrow. This is the same leg that he had splint surgery on less than a year ago. I am really kicking myself :(

:cry: Let us know what the vet says... jingles for a speedy recovery.

mepkkg
Apr. 1, 2012, 04:48 PM

:( Let me know what the vet says tomorrow. Jingles for Georgio