View Full Version : swapping leads after jump

Mar. 28, 2012, 12:30 PM
Going right, my pony will land from the "out" jump of a line and start to track off to the right instead of traveling straight towards the rail or straight until I ask her to turn. If it’s in a line, we don’t have problems; she will continue straight to the other jump no matter how many strides there are. To correct, I put my right leg on to move her over and she swaps leads. I don’t know if it’s a balance issue. I might be leaning to the right but if I am, wouldn’t she start to track right in the middle of the line? Also on our flat work, she tracks straight. Maybe I’m anticipating the turn and she feels it. She's smart so maybe she's is anticipating the turn as well.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what to work on. I know I should probably go back to X-rails lines (we normally jump 2'3-2'6) and trot them over and over until we get straight. What else?

Mar. 28, 2012, 12:43 PM
Try placing a pole three strides after the "out" jump of the line to give yourself something to ride straight to before the turn. It doesn't sound like it's a balance issue with her if she's able to continue straight on the flat without swapping leads or feeling unbalanced.

Mar. 29, 2012, 08:30 AM
Try turning her left after the jumps. Horses quickly figure out which way they "have" to turn at the end of a line so mixing it up can get them listening to the rider better.

Mar. 29, 2012, 09:49 AM
What does your trainer say?

Mar. 29, 2012, 10:42 AM
I have the same problem to the left because I'm severely left handed, and I am always subconsciously leaning left.. My trainer has me drop my left stirrup and it helps me get my balance centered a LOT and forces me to use the right side of my body better. Try riding without your right stirrup and see if it helps :)