PDA

View Full Version : Super suits for horses?

jumpnow
Mar. 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
http://animaltracks.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/26/10872170-super-suits-help-horses-saddle-up-for-the-olympics
In fact, these form-fitting garments come in many bright colors, making their wearers look like the equine equivalent of spandex-clad superheroes such as the X-Men (er, X-manes?).

But there’s a serious purpose behind these colorful costumes: They’re designed to help the animals recover from the rigors of travel and exercise as they gear up for the Summer Olympics in London.

The super suits are the creation of Matthew Spice, director of a Sydney, Australia-based company called Hidez. Spice says the compression the suits provide enhances the horses’ blood flow and reduces the vibration their muscles undergo when they’re traveling, in turn leading to better performance in equestrian sports. They also keep the animals dry and comfortable, he adds, and they can be customized with the horse’s name or team logo.

Seems like a great idea to me!

maigenesis
Mar. 28, 2012, 09:59 AM
Seems like a good idea to me too! The horses look slightly funny, but as long as it helps them travel easier and stay happier, I'm all for it. I am active in the running world, and they are used a lot on athletes. Horses are athletes, and they should (and are) treated like one.

One rule though: NO hot pink ones! :)

mvp
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:18 AM
Seems like a stoo-pid idea to me.

The functional point here is "compression" and "warmth." According to the article/promo, these spandex travel suits will give horses the same benefits that runners and golfers get from their spandex.

Yeah, well, there are a couple of problems:

1. Horses volume/surface area ratio is a whole lot different than ours.
2. Horses, being hind-gut fermenters generate body heat in a way that we can't even imagine.
3. There's not any muscle below the knee and hock in an adult horse. There's very little heat-generating tissue there.
4. The kind of compression that might be useful for preventing edema in the lower legs during travel will be much greater than spandex can provide.
4a. I'm not sure spandex, unless so tight it would tear as the horse moves, will provide diddly-worth of compression for these very large animals.
5. The protection for the lower legs that I could see as desired during travel certainly won't come from spandex.
5a. Do you want to put standing wraps on over zippers that run down to the coronet band? I sure don't.
6. The horses are going to London in the Summer. Why do they need the token-amount of warmth that spandex would provide.

If you like playing Horse Barbie Dress-up as much as I do, however, you just might be ordering on of these.

ifiwereyou
Mar. 28, 2012, 11:41 AM
Seems like a stoo-pid idea to me.

The functional point here is "compression" and "warmth." According to the article/promo, these spandex travel suits will give horses the same benefits that runners and golfers get from their spandex.

Yeah, well, there are a couple of problems:

1. Horses volume/surface area ratio is a whole lot different than ours.
2. Horses, being hind-gut fermenters generate body heat in a way that we can't even imagine.
3. There's not any muscle below the knee and hock in an adult horse. There's very little heat-generating tissue there.
4. The kind of compression that might be useful for preventing edema in the lower legs during travel will be much greater than spandex can provide.
4a. I'm not sure spandex, unless so tight it would tear as the horse moves, will provide diddly-worth of compression for these very large animals.
5. The protection for the lower legs that I could see as desired during travel certainly won't come from spandex.
5a. Do you want to put standing wraps on over zippers that run down to the coronet band? I sure don't.
6. The horses are going to London in the Summer. Why do they need the token-amount of warmth that spandex would provide.

If you like playing Horse Barbie Dress-up as much as I do, however, you just might be ordering on of these.

:yes:

FineAlready
Mar. 28, 2012, 12:28 PM
Nevermind putting wraps on over the zippered legs...I don't like the idea of zippers on the legs PERIOD!

Rel6
Mar. 28, 2012, 12:53 PM

Some really good points, especially about standing wrapping over zippers! I wonder if there is some padding or something in the legs? I would think zippers on a horse's lower legs with nothing but thin spandex wouldn't be that great an idea.