PDA

View Full Version : Stretching custom boots with zippers?

MrsFitzDarcy&Feliks
Mar. 28, 2012, 01:16 AM
Is this possible? Between gaining (a little - ahem) weight and the dry air shrinking the leather a little, I busted the zipper in my never-quite-broken-in customs.

Can they be stretched? Obviously I need to get the zipper replaced whether I keep them or not.

From the beginning, these boots (Vogel, field, calfskin (YR model), zipper and gusset) never quite fit. The calf was ok, but the ankle and foot were so tight I never could get my heels down and they put my feet to sleep.

These days, with all the great off the rack options, I don't think I could get enough money for them to warrant selling them.

I've tried the immersion trick and it helped a bit. I soaked them in warm water and wore them all day. Granted the one with the broken zipper soon came undone, and I had to tape it shut, but the feet and ankle felt much, much better.

So, with zipper boots, can the arch be stretched? The ankle? The calves?

Any other suggestions?

Kestrel
Mar. 28, 2012, 02:22 AM
Get the zipper fixed, then get them wet and wear them dry again. You don't have a lot to lose. I find that they feel a bit better each time mine get wet - they stretch a little more.

I've also taken mine to the tack shop (they do have zippers) to get stretched when they were just too tight to do the wet/dry thing. They loosened up just fine.

Good Luck!

RiverBendPol
Mar. 28, 2012, 07:01 PM
Get them wet with you inside them and do NOT take them off till they are completely dry. It us ally takes about 10 hours. At about hour #5, slather Kocholine all over them and rub it in well. KEEP THEM ON! They should shape to fit but you have to commit a full day to the project. Also, wear the breeches and socks you would wear to ride. Good luck.

KAL74
Mar. 29, 2012, 08:51 AM
When I had the zipper repaird in my tall boots, after I had gained weight, he was able to add leather to make them 1/4" wider for me :-)