PDA

View Full Version : So I have this HUGE china cabinet ... And I need to store my horse stuff ...

PinkMartini
Mar. 27, 2012, 09:54 PM
This thing is HUUUUUUGE (Darn Kia Guy!!! :lol:) and a problem with where to store all of my horse stuff. I've got Saddle Stands for both of my saddles (1 western & 1 dressage) and TONS of hooks on the wall for bridles/breast collars/etc.

But I have BOXES of things under my bed. Grooming supplies, unopened treats, irons, and all that other stuff I accumulated during my stint of owning horses.

So, I figured the hutch would work perfect for this. I could make some nicer shelves for the inside out of some wood (I think wood is better than glass, esp. with anything involving horses) ... And make them adjustable so I can rearrange things until my picky self could be satisfied.

Drawers (3) would be perfect for polos, irons, horse boots, sheet/cooler/blanket, and my western pads/blankets.

Problem with the hutch? Glass doors have been broke. So I want to replace them with something like the whiteboards. But where would I get whiteboards at and how could I get them cut to size?

If I can't find a way to do that, should I go with cork board?

I was so unorganized when I owned the last two. I constantly lost things, and I do not feel like doing that again. I lost my HS Irons somewhere and I miss the dearly. These were the only ones that made me relax in the ankles. :cry:

ETA: 2 years later ... I'm still finding lost items.

rustbreeches
Mar. 27, 2012, 10:33 PM
I have seen people use chicken wire and calico to fill in the door on old pie safes. I have also seen the fancy screen stuff around old fashioned radiators usedfor projects like that. Both would be inexpensive and easy! You could maybe use a solid fabric and some old ribbons behind the chicken wire, or just hang the ribbons directly onto the chicken wire, with the fabric behind

suz
Mar. 27, 2012, 10:54 PM
go to your local craft store and get the black chalkboard paint.
it works great and is very easy.
but we're gonna need pix you know!

juby2be
Mar. 27, 2012, 10:57 PM
For White boards, go to Lowes or Home Depot. Buy some Solid White Tileboard (sometimes called Melamine tile wall panel) which is used as a tile substitute in bathrooms. (It's also sometimes known as showerboard because a couple of sheets of this and you have a nice waterproof shower stall apparently. I've never used it for that though!)

Anyway, you get them to cut it to size for like a 50 cents. You spend all of $10-$15 for some awesome whiteboard that is cut to the exact size and specifications you want, that you can use forever!

PS- The hutch sounds like a fabulous idea! I'm going to look on craigslist now....my fiance might kill me though!

PinkMartini
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I need to get it out of the back of the shed ... We've piled everything in front of it! But pics will come as soon as I figure out what to do!

For White boards, go to Lowes or Home Depot. Buy some Solid White Tileboard (sometimes called Melamine tile wall panel) which is used as a tile substitute in bathrooms. (It's also sometimes known as showerboard because a couple of sheets of this and you have a nice waterproof shower stall apparently. I've never used it for that though!)

Anyway, you get them to cut it to size for like a 50 cents. You spend all of $10-$15 for some awesome whiteboard that is cut to the exact size and specifications you want, that you can use forever!

PS- The hutch sounds like a fabulous idea! I'm going to look on craigslist now....my fiance might kill me though!

My neighbor tossed it for trash ... So I loaded it in the back of our pickup and brought it home (I drove a whole 15 feet!). Had no idea what to do with it until tonight ... Over a year later. :lol:

My boyfriend works at Lowe's ... So I could use his employe discount! So I could have more money to spend on horse things ... Not like I need aynthing else ... right? :winkgrin:

ladybugred
Mar. 28, 2012, 03:39 PM
You could also make your own custom coloured chalkboard paint (http://www.marthastewart.com/271574/custom-color-chalkboard-paint)! Super easy!

LBR (who's now off to search craigslist!)

PinkMartini
Mar. 28, 2012, 06:19 PM
You could also make your own custom coloured chalkboard paint (http://www.marthastewart.com/271574/custom-color-chalkboard-paint)! Super easy!

LBR (who's now off to search craigslist!)

That is AWESOME! I think I may have to do that. I can paint my cabinet black (to hide all the grime!) and do the chalkboard in pink!

And I could add my extra zebra print drawer knobs to it.

{All my tack is pink/black/white/zebra! And so is my room ... :eek: }

TheJenners
Mar. 28, 2012, 06:28 PM
Pink/black/white/zebra....oh my. You definitely lose things, no one will steal them! ;)

Regala
Mar. 28, 2012, 06:54 PM
whiteboard etc should be easy to find so won't offer advice.

but i love how you think. my dad offered me a GORGEOUS antique armoure a few years ago, and i was so excited as it made a perfect spot for misc tack, feed, supplement, etc. he was HORRIFIED it was in my barn, but we figured my stepmom, who would have disowned us both and she found out what i did with it, would never step foot off the lawn area and out to the barn, so didn't need to know.

it has been so useful, and makes the barn look oh so classy. :)

PinkMartini
Mar. 28, 2012, 07:11 PM
whiteboard etc should be easy to find so won't offer advice.

but i love how you think. my dad offered me a GORGEOUS antique armoure a few years ago, and i was so excited as it made a perfect spot for misc tack, feed, supplement, etc. he was HORRIFIED it was in my barn, but we figured my stepmom, who would have disowned us both and she found out what i did with it, would never step foot off the lawn area and out to the barn, so didn't need to know.

it has been so useful, and makes the barn look oh so classy. :)

Thankfully it is not very pretty. Just tall and wide and very rectangular. My tack is all alone in my dad's tool shed, so I'm going to tacky it up as much as possible. What a shock he is going to get! :eek:

There is a space to hang wine glasses in the top, so I'm going to find something I can slide in there (maybe some cheap rulers) and hang my extra bits .... Hmmm ...

VCT
Mar. 28, 2012, 11:23 PM
If you know someone who is handy with carpentry, with a handful of sheets of plywood you can build a nice tack cabinet.

I have one that on one side has 4 saddle racks, and the door on that side has 4 bridle hooks on it. On the other side are 4 shelves where I store pads, surcingle, quarter sheets, etc. And the door on that side has cubbies where I put polos, boots, gloves, fleece shipping halter, etc.

PinkMartini - maybe a dowel would work for hanging your bits.

PinkMartini
Mar. 29, 2012, 07:55 PM
If you know someone who is handy with carpentry, with a handful of sheets of plywood you can build a nice tack cabinet.

I have one that on one side has 4 saddle racks, and the door on that side has 4 bridle hooks on it. On the other side are 4 shelves where I store pads, surcingle, quarter sheets, etc. And the door on that side has cubbies where I put polos, boots, gloves, fleece shipping halter, etc.

PinkMartini - maybe a dowel would work for hanging your bits.

I looked at some dowels but they are just to thick to fit in the space. My rulers are much thinner than the dowels are. They are as thick as the bottom of the wine glasses. They were cheap ($0.35) so no big loss if they won't work. I'll just give them to a friend for her kids (elementary school).

The shed were we have everything is quite large. My dad has 2/3 of one long wall. There is enough room at the end of that wall that I can put the hutch at the end of it and leave the center of the shed free and clear. I bought some saddle racks (2) and bridle brackets (6) off of craigslist for $20. Wounted them to wall in the back corner. Still got tones of room to fill that place up. Just wish I had the funds! :lol:

PinkMartini
Mar. 31, 2012, 11:33 PM
Pink/black/white/zebra....oh my. You definitely lose things, no one will steal them! ;)

Sadly, I have had a few things stolen. :cry: Even things that my grandma gave me before she passed away.

Thankfully, no-one will know where I plan on keeping my next horse (except me, vet, & farrier) and ALL of my stuff is going to be kept behind lock & key. A few bad apples can ruin it for the rest.