PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Olympic Trials Riders Equipment STOLEN!!!! PASSPORTS!!

FLIPPED HER HALO
Mar. 27, 2012, 03:51 PM
Just got this via email from iJump Sports...getting the word out.

Olympic Trials Riders Equipment STOLEN!!!!!!

March 27, 2012

ALERT ALERT - PLEASE KEEP A LOOK OUT!

While preparing to leave Wellington to return home to California, two of our West Coast Olympic Trials riders had their equipment stolen just minutes before loading the horses headed for the flight home. PASSPORTS ARE GONE ALSO!!!

Driveways are not designed for the big horse vans, so horses are loaded on the vans right out front of the farms bordering the Wellington show grounds. Equipment is brought to the street and grooms go back up the driveway to get the horses. This equipment was set at the end of the driveway ready for shipping. Take from Jennifer Crooks facility on Equestrian Drive......

When the van showed up just a few minutes later...IT WAS ALL GONE!!

STOLEN FROM RICH FELLERS:
2 Fellers Show Trunks+
1 Antares Saddle
2 Antares bridles
2 Antares breast plates
2 pair of mens show boots
1 Antares helmet - black w/USA flag
misc show and set up equipment
FLEXIBLE'S PASSPORT + COGGINS + HEALTH PAPERS !!

STOLEN FROM KARL COOK:
2 Cook/Ostby Show Trunks WITH Willow Tree covers
2 Antares Saddles
3 Bridles
3 pair mens show boots
**Unique special designed SPURS!
misc show and set up equipment
JONHKEER Z AND ASB CONQUISTADORS PASSPORTS + COGGINS + HEALTH PAPERS !!
GUY THOMAS GOLF CLUBS

"Every single thing that has to do with taking horses all the way across the country for these Trials," said Guy Thomas. "Done in broad daylight at about noon, right in front of the barn. Had to have been SO well organized and thought out and we just happened to be the barn they got!! THEY TOOK EVERYTHING! We ended up with the horses and their halters...period, that was all"

IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION PLEASE PLEASE CALL THE POLICE IN WELLINGTON (561-688-3000)

OR YOUR LOCAL AREA POLICE IMMEDIATELY...

OR reply to this email for confidentiality.
ijumpsports@aol.com

fourmares
Mar. 27, 2012, 04:15 PM
They left everything sitting on the side of the road and didn't leave someone there to watch it???? Seriously??? Wow.

Happyhooves
Mar. 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
That's just awful. I hope the things can be found.

BAC
Mar. 27, 2012, 04:54 PM
They left everything sitting on the side of the road and didn't leave someone there to watch it???? Seriously??? Wow.

Yeah, especially since the same thing happened at the beginning of WEF in almost exactly the same way. Still, that is no excuse for such criminal behavior, we need to place the blame on the thieves and not the victims.

skydy
Mar. 28, 2012, 01:32 AM
It has happened before, and, there is no excuse for thievery.

Times have changed and unfortunatly we must now think as thieves, to stay ahead of them. :no:

I am happy to live in a place where there is little crime, however it seems only a matter of time...

In an area where there is so much weath apparent, this, targeted crime, seems to be the new thing. Of course the people who know what is worth taking may well have "insider knowledge" not of the stable, but of the industry.

MHM
Mar. 28, 2012, 05:55 AM
Historically, the last week of WEF (or probably any long circuit) is a time when you really have to keep a close eye on your equipment, as so many people are packing up and leaving town.

However, this approach is really a new low. :(

Triplicate
Mar. 28, 2012, 06:51 AM
If the showgrounds hadn't been eaten up by poor planning, selling off land, and ridiculous flower and tree plantings, the would be sufficient room. Where is security ?
Is there any ?
It is just another case of poor planning by the owners and investors who are more interested profit than safe stabling and safe showing for the horses.
Too bad that favorite equipment and passports missing and most likely will never be seen again.
WEF never was like that SJ was there - they cared about the horses and exhibitors.

DarkStarrx
Mar. 28, 2012, 08:08 AM
Holy cow, I didn't realize peoplem had such gall to just walk up and take away trunks from well regarded equestrian citizens. I just what...wow.

MHM
Mar. 28, 2012, 08:19 AM
Triplicate, I believe the theft occurred at a property off the showgrounds.

AnotherRound
Mar. 28, 2012, 08:56 AM
Well, now they know how to catch them. Except the event is over. Really sad, just discouraging loss which would be really really hard to get over. Such precious equipment. I am really sorry this happened.

california rider
Mar. 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
This is an organized group of thieves. This happened in min not over the course of a half hour or hour. Literally it would take a min of 2 guys or more as you just don't pull up and toss fully loaded show trunks in by yourself, the trunks are heavy. Worse these thieves most likely know the area and people are comfortable with them around. No reports of stranger careening around with equipment spilling out of strange truck or van.

Ozone
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:31 AM
Happens every where.. this time it just happens to be prestigious riders and their horses.. so we post holy cow and wow to the thread ;)

They will probably never recover their tack etc. it's sad ...

findeight
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:46 AM
KHP can be bad too...one year during the Maclay Regionals, somebody turned 2 horses loose and called security to report them.

While they were off chasing the loose horses, about 20 cars were hit in less then 10 minutes with smash and grab theft-they preferred Escalades and BMWS. That would take about 5 people to get done with the alarms sounding. Lots of laptops and purses gone.

Another year, several trailers were HITCHED up and removed from the trailer parking area Saturday night when most had been packed for the return drive. Found with compartment doors pried off ditched by the side of the road. Don't recall the exact number but it was about 40 saddles plus bridles, blankets, coolers and assorted other equipment-not so much as a lead rope was left. Trailers needed repair too.

All inside jobs knowing exactly what they were looking for as this one probably was as well. Can't imagine leaving stuff like that everybody knows is expensive unattended when theft is more common then many outsiders think:rolleyes:. You'd think whoever was in charge of the crew would have left somebody with the pile.

MHM
Mar. 28, 2012, 11:47 AM
KHP can be bad too...one year during the Maclay Regionals, somebody turned 2 horses loose and called security to report them.

While they were off chasing the loose horses, about 20 cars were hit in less then 10 minutes with smash and grab theft

Wow. That is incredibly bad, to risk the necks of the horses for the sake of a diversion.

If they had been caught, there should have been an "unfortunate accident" to their noses on the way to the police station.

findeight
Mar. 28, 2012, 11:59 AM
You think they actually cared about the welfare of the loose horses???

This was KHP. A fenced, guard on duty at the gate, admission required state police patrolled facility with extra security hosting a big evening event. These were insiders.

So are those at WEF, no accident only high end stuff moving on a known schedual was targeted. They don't care about horses either.

babecakes
Mar. 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
"Equipment is brought to the street and grooms go back up the driveway to get the horses. This equipment was set at the end of the driveway ready for shipping."

It just begs the question - why was such valuable stuff left alone? What did someone say about not placing blame on the victims but on the thieves?? Bull shit. That's naivete.

findeight
Mar. 28, 2012, 12:07 PM
"Equipment is brought to the street and grooms go back up the driveway to get the horses. This equipment was set at the end of the driveway ready for shipping."

It just begs the question - why was such valuable stuff left alone? What did someone say about not placing blame on the victims but on the thieves?? Bull shit. That's naivete.

Naivete? 3 Antares saddles, multiple high end bridles? Really expensive trunks? Really, really expensive golf clubs? Left unattended by the road while they went to get the horses for a van that, presumably, was not there yet or they would have loaded the stuff in.

What a coincidence somebody just happened to be driving by, just happened to have a big enough vehicle and just happened to have a few strong backs with them so decided to steal the whole pile in just minutes.

trubandloki
Mar. 28, 2012, 12:11 PM
What did someone say about not placing blame on the victims but on the thieves?? Bull shit. That's naivete.
When you (general you) do something stupid it does not make it OK for a criminal to take advantage of you anymore than it is OK for them to do anything else illegal.

babecakes
Mar. 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
I was only disputing the statement made that we shouldn't be blaming the victims, just the thieves. Thievery is not a NEW vice, it's biblical too! I did not absolve the thieves!! that's a given. I was speaking to the facts that were presented.

It's sheer naivete to set valuables out unguarded. period. and they did have a local wake-up call to freshen their memory ...

Well I 'could' have called it stupidity. I was already being generous.

MHM
Mar. 28, 2012, 12:45 PM
You think they actually cared about the welfare of the loose horses???

Clearly not.

That's why it wouldn't bother me at all if they "tripped and fell" on their faces on the way to police custody.

It's bad enough to steal, but so much worse to put the horses at risk. :(

danceronice
Mar. 28, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'm thinking the equipment is not as big a deal as the passports (horses', I'm assuming? Or both horse AND riders?) You can buy a new saddle. Yeah, that's thousands, but hopefully those are insured or you've got sponsors. Transit paperwork for the horses, including any permanent passports? That's a nightmare. Their coggins, their health certificates, everything that proves the horse is THAT horse....it's like having a human's passport stolen. Only there's no embassy.

kmwines01
Mar. 28, 2012, 01:33 PM
I agree that it's naive and stupid to leave that much stuff unattended right by a road when there have been previous reports of the same thing happening. It doesn't excuse the thieves but you shouldn't give them easy opportunity.
Do you leave your purse, wallet, laptop/iPad sitting on the front seat of your car when you leave it? I don't even leave my laptop or iPad out when I go to the bathroom at the library. There are crooks everywhere and you can't help them out.

MHM
Mar. 28, 2012, 01:47 PM
If the riders in question had just come to WEF recently for the Olympic trials, they might not have heard that something similar happened earlier in the season. I certainly was shocked when I heard about it at the beginning of the winter, and I've been attending WEF for a long time.

No, it's not wise to be careless with your valuables, but this very brazen approach could catch anybody off guard.

Justice
Mar. 28, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm sorry, but while there are lots of problems in California
(lots), I've never experienced the kind of thievery that seems to run rampant at WEF. Of course, our grooms are packing... maybe that's why.

I would not think twice about leaving my stuff like that at Thermal, with my purse, and I feel terrible for the West Coast riders and anyone else that's had their stuff snatched. Bad, bad, bad.

Superminion
Mar. 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
(lots), I've never experienced the kind of thievery that seems to run rampant at WEF. Of course, our grooms are packing... maybe that's why.

I would not think twice about leaving my stuff like that at Thermal, with my purse, and I feel terrible for the West Coast riders and anyone else that's had their stuff snatched. Bad, bad, bad.

:yes::yes::yes:

I'm getting a mental picture, and its fantastic.

mvp
Mar. 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
So where do the thieves plan to sell this stuff?

Most saddles have serial numbers and something like a Willow Tree cooler has a limited market.

S A McKee
Mar. 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
So where do the thieves plan to sell this stuff?

Most saddles have serial numbers and something like a Willow Tree cooler has a limited market.

Pretty much any place they want to.
Serial numbers get removed.
'Willow Tree' tack box covers have no value but the tack boxes sure do.

People happily buy this stuff at a steep discount from the original price knowing full well that the goods are stolen.

findeight
Mar. 28, 2012, 03:37 PM
I doubt the riders were even there when this happened, they depended on their crews.

Well organized theft rings frequently have exsisting "orders" so are looking for specific, requested items. Sort of a tack "chop shop" if you will.

Well organized rings frequently have "imbedded" sources to feed them info on where said items will be when and possibly make sure they are unattended. Maybe they just hang around with open ears, maybe they work for the victims.

It's nothing new at all at any kind of big horse show anywhere...even if you don't hear about it or it does not happen often, it happens. I hated lugging my saddle to a hotel room but...

South Fla is notorious for all sorts of thefts from Corvettes to bicycles to small aircraft, they are very good at it and the stuff is probably out of the state by the end of the day, maybe out of the country.

mvp
Mar. 28, 2012, 03:57 PM
Pretty much any place they want to.
Serial numbers get removed.
'Willow Tree' tack box covers have no value but the tack boxes sure do.

People happily buy this stuff at a steep discount from the original price knowing full well that the goods are stolen.

Ruhroh. Inquiring Shoppers want to know.

I'm startin' a thread for all you people buying stuff that "fell of the back of a truck."

ALLIGORY
Mar. 28, 2012, 04:58 PM
These thefts may not be widely known. I appreciate the PSA my son is working there and this news was a good heads up for his boss and clients. It's sad to expect the worst from people and protect our valuables from local scavengers . This really is a case of bad ,bad, bad... frankly I expect to people to behave decently and have the individuals that prey upon the innocent prosecuted .

dags
Mar. 28, 2012, 05:22 PM

The layout's so drastically different though. Thermal is miles from anything, the showgrounds are completely contained with quite a bit of space between the road and any facilities, and, let's face it, thieves aren't exactly hanging around Thermal, CA waiting for some rich person to get lackadaisical :D

But with Welly, where everyone's crammed into a functioning township that pre-existed all this horse stuff, it would be a lot easier to get away with looking like, Oh yeah. I'm totally supposed to be here loading these tack trunks into a truck at warp speed.

The nonchalance of broad daylight is the best cover. Traffic's always moving around there so no one's going to stop, question strangers, and endure a chorus of horns. At the same time, despite horses being packed in like sardines, stabling is all quite separate, so you're never really sure who's a stranger and who's just someone you haven't seen yet....

Not the least bit excusable though.

kchfuller
Mar. 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
Wow people disgust me...

cholmberg
Mar. 28, 2012, 06:25 PM
I agree that it's naive and stupid to leave that much stuff unattended right by a road when there have been previous reports of the same thing happening. It doesn't excuse the thieves but you shouldn't give them easy opportunity.
Do you leave your purse, wallet, laptop/iPad sitting on the front seat of your car when you leave it? I don't even leave my laptop or iPad out when I go to the bathroom at the library. There are crooks everywhere and you can't help them out.

exactly. it's why you lock your doors when you leave the house.
Leaving a pile of EXPENSIVE tack sitting by the side of the road unattended and then having the nerve to act surprised when it is stolen (either by passersby, or people targeting it) is just stupid. People with that much money can spare someone to stand there and watch the stuff while others fetch the horses. If I left a big screen tv sitting by the road then went in side to use the bathroom, I'd not act surprised if it wasn't there when I went back outside. . . . .it's inviting crime.

Mardi
Mar. 28, 2012, 07:26 PM
sorry to hear about the loss of such valuable things.

Would it be possible to amend the title of the thread so people know it happened at Wellington, and not at the West Coast Olympic trials ?

MHM
Mar. 28, 2012, 08:29 PM
A few more details from The Chronicle:
http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/thieves-steal-equipment-cook-and-fellers

Triplicate
Mar. 28, 2012, 08:29 PM
Happened to us... I offered the Jumpcrew a very large reward and faster that you can say who took it one of the guys took me to the van of a high profile trainer and there was our stuff... It was funny when I called him on it and we never had a problem again.

Pally
Mar. 28, 2012, 09:25 PM
People with that much money can spare someone to stand there and watch the stuff while others fetch the horses

Seriously? They are going to fly an extra groom with them from California to stand by the road and watch stuff? I have no idea of either of the riders financial specifics or emloyee structure, but if they were traveling with a groom per horse they were lucky...it may have been one groom to two FEI horses. At the end of what was probably a very grueling week for those grooms....when they had to complete the worst job of it all....packing and dragging those damn heavy trunks. Then trying to keep everything on schedule, the horses and shipper happy, etc, etc. I am not saying it was a good idea to leave it unattended...obviously...oops, in this instance it most certainly wasn't. But if you have ever actually been in a similar situation, you would realize that it is indeed common practice just because that's how it goes. While there can be a lot of money thrown around in this sport, not every rider has people on payroll to roll out a red carpet for them when they walk....more common is a hardworking crew of grooms who could really use one more person, but gets everything done anyway because they are dedicated to the job.

mvp
Mar. 28, 2012, 09:43 PM
Happened to us... I offered the Jumpcrew a very large reward and faster that you can say who took it one of the guys took me to the van of a high profile trainer and there was our stuff... It was funny when I called him on it and we never had a problem again.

And then what happened? You had a CTJ meeting with this trainer. Did you tell anyone else... like your friends or the cops? It seems to me that a lot of other people are left exposed to this guy.

cholmberg
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:16 PM
Seriously? They are going to fly an extra groom with them from California to stand by the road and watch stuff? I have no idea of either of the riders financial specifics or emloyee structure, but if they were traveling with a groom per horse they were lucky...it may have been one groom to two FEI horses. At the end of what was probably a very grueling week for those grooms....when they had to complete the worst job of it all....packing and dragging those damn heavy trunks. Then trying to keep everything on schedule, the horses and shipper happy, etc, etc. I am not saying it was a good idea to leave it unattended...obviously...oops, in this instance it most certainly wasn't. But if you have ever actually been in a similar situation, you would realize that it is indeed common practice just because that's how it goes. While there can be a lot of money thrown around in this sport, not every rider has people on payroll to roll out a red carpet for them when they walk....more common is a hardworking crew of grooms who could really use one more person, but gets everything done anyway because they are dedicated to the job.

It's also common practice for people to stop and steal valuable stuff left unattended . . .just because they are olympic hopefuls does NOT exempt them from this age-old problem. The person(s) who took the stuff do not care who it belonged to. . . They left valuables alone, unattended by the side of the road, I'd be shocked if insurance even covered that. I'm just surprised that there IS any surprise that this happened.
I know when my mom's house was burglarized the first question asked was 'was it secured??'

I'm shocked that there was NO ONE who could be asked,
hey can you stand by this stuff for us so no one steals it and
it's not just sitting here by the road for the taking?? Surely there was some alternative than just leaving a pile of expensive tack trunks and golf bag all alone by a busy road.

copper1
Mar. 29, 2012, 07:27 AM
Certainly not a new problem! Years ago at a big A show on the east coast, someone stole all the tack off a horse that was left in the ready stall while rider stepped out for a quick minute! One of our riders had her radio stolen during the day. I am amazed by the amount of people who leave valuables out in plain sight in tack rooms or even their car. Anyone can walk thru a show aisle and help themselves!
Lock up your stuff; get a dog with attitude to guard your tack room when you are not there or make sure someone is there at least most of the time. Be aware of what is going on around you!

nutmeg
Mar. 29, 2012, 07:34 AM
Just for the record, it's hardly a busy road. It's a loop of a small horse community where it is the most natural thing in the world to load that way... at least it was until the thefts in the spring. The hosts perhaps could have warned the West Coast visitors. I'm sure the WEP will contribute to helping the affected riders financially since it was so urgent that they appear in Palm Beach in March in order to try for the team. Rich Fellers is the hardest working man in show business and he does not need this crap.

S A McKee
Mar. 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
Just for the record, it's hardly a busy road. It's a loop of a small horse community where it is the most natural thing in the world to load that way... at least it was until the thefts in the spring. The hosts perhaps could have warned the West Coast visitors. I'm sure the WEP will contribute to helping the affected riders financially since it was so urgent that they appear in Palm Beach in March in order to try for the team. Rich Fellers is the hardest working man in show business and he does not need this crap.

Why do you think WEP should pay?
It's a shame this happened but it's hardly news that this type of thing goes on.
The theft didn't happen on the show grounds.
No attempt was made to secure their properfy.
It was not 'urgent' that they show at WEP. That was up to the rider/owner if they wanted to try and qualify. That's optional.
If they have insurance their loss may be covered.

nutmeg
Mar. 29, 2012, 09:41 AM
I never said they SHOULD pay. I just am confident that as incredibly generous and charitable pillars of the equestrian community and promoters of the American Olympic effort they will step up. Agreed that you can't turn your back on your stuff these days. It will get snatched faster than a Wellington vote.

Justice
Mar. 29, 2012, 04:19 PM
I just think it's kind of funny... When you're at Thermal, you're always secretly (or not so secretly) wishing you were at WEF. It's kind of shady in the Coachella Valley. You know, we pretend to be fancy, but we have a long drive to get to those artichokes at the Cliff House. And we are really, really dirty when we get there.

To think we felt like cowboys because our grooms had a little gunfight in the aisle on the West Coast. Little did we know they were just protecting our gear. If Karl and Rich had brought the grooms from Barn 8, this would never have happened. That's all I'm saying. West Coast, represent.

mvp
Mar. 29, 2012, 06:42 PM
Years ago at a big A show on the east coast, someone stole all the tack off a horse that was left in the ready stall while rider stepped out for a quick minute!

For the win!

Claudius
Mar. 29, 2012, 07:53 PM
It would be interesting to find out who the shippers were for both instances. It seems odd that the thieves knew where to go and were able to make off with so much stuff so quickly.