PDA

View Full Version : lower level competition.

bovon
Feb. 11, 2006, 08:15 AM
I really enjoy reading all the articles and posts on this forum.. I'm just wondering though it seems as though there aren't many lowel level riders posting here. I just started showing a bit last year and have now been riding for three years. I'm not that talented but I love it with my whole heart and I adore my horses. My horses are all on the green side but I enjoy the learning process immensely. I don't know if we'll ever have the time or $$ or talent to even get to novice much less training level. If I do get to training level I would be so thrilled. Where I live is inundated with hunter jumper riders and shows. Any horse trials are around 1-2 hours traveling time and are of the unrecognized variety and finding good dressage instruction close by is tough. Sometimes I wonder why the hell I even bother but than I remeber my spooky kinda green TB breaking the 40 mark in his beg.novice dressage test and maybe doing a clean stadium round and I feel good. I feel like I'll be at this level forever though . Am I being impatient or does it just take a while with green, not made horses and a "only been riding 3 years' rider. I mean at this point I'd just like to do well at the BN level but it seems pretty competitve at the lower levels so it must only get tougher in the upper levels. Last year was rough for competing one of my guys because he was pretty nervous at shows and I over faced him a couple of times and thinking back on it I should probably feel embarrassed that we didn't do better but than if I would've stayed home I wouldn't have learned some of the important lessons I've learned so far. I do really work hard at getting me and my horse better but I feel like it's an uphill battle and I'm trying to make chicken salad out of chicken s$$t. It sure seems easy for some poeple and I get a little envious to watch some of them moving up so much quicker than I am.. yes, I know I sound petty but I'm just venting here., geez I know I sound whiny but I could use a bit of support..

Lori B
Feb. 11, 2006, 08:31 AM
Hang in there! I'm a greener rider (not quite 2 years) competing at a lower level (elementary, thank you very much). And would be thrilled to even go Beginner Novice. Mainly I lurk and listen on this forum because I have a lot to learn. It must be tough not to have a supportive barn gang to learn from / work with. That's what keeps me working and not stressed about where I'm at. Every day in the saddle is a good day, and a gift. And eventing is the equestrian sport that asks us to be humble and versatile and not just obsessively focused on one aspect of horsemanship. It's supposed to be hard, but so far it's always been fun for me, except when I'm hitting the ground.

Where in VA are you? Maybe other board folks can recommend some nearby eventer colleagues to you.

doccer
Feb. 11, 2006, 08:48 AM
Hi there http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm never going to be anything but a low level rider!! If it's over 3foot7 I'll find a way around it. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I'm currently showing 2ft9 and schooling 3ft(... I think i'd attempt 3ft6 on the right horse on the right day.)

But i must say, i do love the training, the learning, the lessons/clinics, the shows..... and especially my horse.

I actually think we're lucky riding at lower levels... where it's still fun for us and not as competitive as it would be if we were doing this for a living.

I too take a bit longer to move-up the levels. (I spent 6 seasons at 2ft3 and 2ft6) BUT, I know that having spent all that time at the same level, i can understand the mechanics of moving up a level and am completely ready body and soul for the 'next 3 inches' lol

As long as you love what you're doing, and you're learning something along the way.... "It's a good thing" http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

baileygreyhorse
Feb. 11, 2006, 08:49 AM
I know exactly what you mean. Bailey and I spent 2 years just getting TO baby novice and another three years at BN. Then he had to retire because of navicular issues. In five years, we broke 40 exactly twice. When we started we were a trainwreck. Then we got better. Then we got pretty good at the jumping and almost respectable at the dressage.

I didn't have the money to buy another horse, nor did I want to. I love my horse and I had to find a way to make it work. Topping out at BN was OK with me. We had a great time together and enjoyed showing. We schooled bigger fences (think smallish novice) but that was enough.

If you're having fun and your horse is learning, that's enough. Remember, it's supposed to be FUN! Go have fun and don't worry about the other crap. Your horse doesn't care as long as there's treats afterward.

Jazzy Lady
Feb. 11, 2006, 08:50 AM
No worries, and welcome to the fun sport! Different people take different amounts of time to progress, same with horses, and having to pair the two together adds various dimensions to successes. Yes, it is harder for a green horse and a green rider to progress through the levels, but it can be done.

I started riding 17 years ago and showed H/J, I started eventing on a 4 year old green arab 8 years ago. He hated show jumping, we got eliminated every go out and ended up staying at entry level (Beginner novice equivalent up here) for a solid 4 years. I then got a nice mare, solid at Novice, ready to move up, prelim potential that I upgraded to training on in my 5th year competing and she broke her elbow the following winter. I went back down to entry level and pre-training (Novice) for the year to show a green pony for someone else since I had no ride. Last winter I went down to florida with my mare to see if she would go training again or not, she didn't. We showed Novice at Rocking horse a few times before she was donated to Centinary College and I got my new boy who I started competing at Training last summer and upgraded to Prelim at the end of last summer.

With some people it takes a long time, whether it's how they develop, how the horse develops, or if there are outside circumstances that prevent progression. I know a girl who started off at entry level, a year later she had a made horse and was going prelim.

But good luck! It's hard to find good coaching in some areas, and I know what it's like to have the green eyed bug hit you, but that's true of every aspect of life, not just eventing.

GOOD LUCK!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Just take your time and go with what's comfortable for yourself and your horse and you'll do great! The small successes in this sport are what keeps people going! You should read the thread "how long do you stay at a level" or something around those lines. It will give you an idea at how quickly/slowly people progress and different reasons why they do so http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

shawnee_Acres
Feb. 11, 2006, 08:54 AM
Although in my younger days I went Prelim, I doubt I'd ever do even training anymore! I am now 48 years old and don't bounce quite as well! Now we do hope my stallion can go WAY up the ladder, but not with me on him! He has a trainer who rides and competes him and thats fine with me, she's MUCH MUCH younger. I still event my gelding, jsut got back to eventing last years after a few years off as I had nothing to event. He will do BN this year after a few "intro" events, and we'll be QUIET happy at that level! He could definitely do much more but I'm in it to just have fun these days!

bovon
Feb. 11, 2006, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it. I've been hosting my own "pity-party" and this thread is helping me get out of the dumps. I'm about 45 minutes w. of Richmond. I use to board at a couple of h/j barns before I bought my own farm. There are NO eventing type barns in this area. There are good and bad aspects to boarding . Like you said no support from fellow boarders but than again no personalities to deal with either http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif I have awesome horsey neighbors with their own places and horses but again none of them are into any sort of eventing at all. I'm taking one of my horses back into the intro level because he just gets too overfaced and exciteable at the bn jumps at this point. Slow but steady progress and yes I do still have fun with it however I did originally think it would be easier than it's turned out to be.

Reynard Ridge
Feb. 11, 2006, 10:11 AM
I'm trying to make chicken salad out of chicken s$$t.
Welcome to the club. As the Proud Owner of The $700 Pony and someone who raises chickens, the above analogy is quite apt.

I am hoping to go BN with the Pony for the first time this summer. I will have had her for a YEAR and a HALF at that point. In my case, life just gets in the way of taking suffcient lessons and schoolings to get her out sooner. She has a relatively fragile mind and I was out of riding for 3 years when I got her, too, so there were some 'extenuating' circumstances that have lead to our rather slow progression.

So. Lots of us here. Vent away.

Lori B
Feb. 11, 2006, 10:15 AM
RR, the trouble is, none of us is as funny as you are while we're doing it.

As for me, I'm really hoping not to be the biggest chicken$hit at the Phyllis Dawson clinic next weekend. Speaking of chickens...

Reynard Ridge
Feb. 11, 2006, 10:36 AM
RR, the trouble is, none of us is as funny as you are while we're doing it.
http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif Girlfriend, I would trade "funny" for some microscopic modicum of riding talent any day of the week!

Ishi
Feb. 11, 2006, 10:51 AM
Lori, Phyllis was out here in December and I took her clinic. I thought is was really good, so I hope you have fun with her! She's pretty nice too.

Lori B
Feb. 11, 2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks Ishi! I met her last weekend at the WEF schooling jumper show, she was quite nice, and very funny -- she was teasing her working student about her taped-together half chaps, in a friendly way. She brought a few greenies to the show for miles. Some very cute horses, and remarkably laid back calm guys for their ages.

I'm really looking forward to the clinic.

Perfect Pony
Feb. 11, 2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Reynard Ridge:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm trying to make chicken salad out of chicken s$$t.
Welcome to the club. As the Proud Owner of The $700 Pony and someone who raises chickens, the above analogy is quite apt.

I am hoping to go BN with the Pony for the first time this summer. I will have had her for a YEAR and a HALF at that point. In my case, life just gets in the way of taking suffcient lessons and schoolings to get her out sooner. She has a relatively fragile mind and I was out of riding for 3 years when I got her, too, so there were some 'extenuating' circumstances that have lead to our rather slow progression.

So. Lots of us here. Vent away. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey I am in the same boat. Except I left riding for more than 10 years! It's been 2.5 years since I started "re-riding". My first horse was a disaster temperment wise, we fit together like oil and water. Second one was lovely with a chip in his knee and was retired. I'm on horse #3 in less than three years and we are a good few months from out first event if we are lucky!

At least this one MIGHT have a chance at a start. I told myself if we aren't going BN by the EOY 2006 I'm going out and buying myself a 16+ year old packer!!!

CookiePony
Feb. 11, 2006, 11:25 AM
I forget who told me this, but I often remember it: if you're challenged, whether at (Beginner)Novice or Advanced, the adrenaline rush is the same!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif My competing has been erratic, on quite a few different horses, and has had to fit between college, grad school, and now a new job, so I have only done Novice (and had a blast at it). When I got an 8th place ribbon at Groton House 1 last spring, I felt like I had won Rolex! Now I'm back to square one with my OTTB greenie, but looking forward to the road ahead.

Hopefully some VA folks will check in and let you know where they are. Having some buddies (even to just meet up with at schooling events) would help boost your morale, I think. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

pooh
Feb. 11, 2006, 12:08 PM
I just switched from hunters to eventing so similar boat. My horse has talent and drive but some issues so he can only jump up to 2 fott at this time. I've gotten disheartened by hunters and found a great event trainer, so my poor lazy QH is now learning how to go on the bit!! Depending on his hoof issues we hope to do the itty bitty 18 inch type classes this spring and I'm excited!! Course not many shows offer it, so I'm riding some other horses that I may be able to do a little more on.

StrawberryFields
Feb. 11, 2006, 02:06 PM
its ok! I am doing BN and ive been riding for 3 years...i am a green bean. You can check out some pics at the bottom of the page.

Meredith Clark
Feb. 11, 2006, 02:30 PM
OMG! You're totally not alone. I think sometimes the lower level riders or some-what intimidated to post about specific things on the board (i know i am!) Almost like someone will question how much you know b/c you've only ridden at ____ level, so thats why it doesn't seem like there are many.

I have a OTTB that I showed Elem most of last year (his first few months off the track) and I felt nooo shame in it. It was good for him to get out there, and good for me to know if we got into a sticky situation...we could walk over the jumps! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

Even though i've only showed Unrec. novice (and didn't place!) I still feel like I know a lot about horses and eventing in general. I worked for FHI as a college internship so i learned a lot of the rules and procedures, etc. Obviously people don't pay to take lessons from me or ask me to host clinics...but who knows, maybe someday they will!

Elem. Level and PROUD of it! (http://community.webshots.com/photo/388368714/1393706773068747398KqxIUF)

kdail
Feb. 11, 2006, 02:55 PM
Another low level eventer here! I just discovered this site a couple of weeks ago and am already a junkie. Like LoriB, I've been "lurking and listening" and decided to join in. I've picked up lots of great advice reading the various threads so far. I've been eventing at 2' for 2 years. Working full time sure cuts into my riding, but at least it fund it. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I've just begun schooling BN this winter. The horse I'm leasing is a wonderful fellow who is a great confidence builder for me. I never knew riding could be this much FUN! I may never want to jump anything very high or very fast, but if I feel that I'm riding confidently and competently while my horse is enjoying himself, I'm a really happy camper. My goals are modest, and enjoying my time with my horse is at the top of the list. I am doing my first schooling HT at BN next Saturday, and I can hardly wait!

Part-Time Angel
Feb. 11, 2006, 03:27 PM
I know the feeling. In my quest to get to prelim I evented at least 11 horses.

1997 - I had an interest but didn't pursue the eventing horses at my barn as I was 11 and the love for the pony I rode prevailed.

1998 - I leased a great, school master experienced eventer and started out going pretraining (novice) and did very well, gained lots of confidence, and an inaccurate depiction of how "easy" it was to be successful and get up to training.

1999 - The mare went back to the owner and I worked hard all year on a greenie who ended up dying in a fluke accident leaving me with nothign to ride - I took a school horse to one event, it's partboarder freaked out and that was the end of my season.

2000 - Tried to part lease an eventer to go training, but the shared lease was a new idea by my coach, didn't work well at all and I took a working student position and ended up riding 3 different horses at novice while trying to get to training, and getting some confidence issues from a stopper.

2001 - Bought the old mare from the working student position and tried to get to training. She was so inconsistent I realized it wouldn't happen. Got a baby who was to be my YR horse, and was amazingly talented, then this whole fiasco happened involving fake xrays, a broken knee, and the owner who we got him from not being the owner.

2002 & 2003 - I finally got a green tb who at first I hated and no one thought would do anything, and she came through and I finally went training.

2004 - I leased an intermediate eventer to go prelim and had issues only to upgrade MY horse and realize that had been the easier route for me anyways. 2005 I finally achieved my goals, only to have to retire from eventing forever.

It can take a long time for some, and look incredibley easy for others. Don't be impatient, enjoy the journey not just the desination. It will all come together! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

alterforsaftey
Feb. 11, 2006, 04:29 PM
Bovon,

First I will wink and tell you we all do lower levels ;-) and some "also" do some bigger stuff as well.

Many of my clients will blush or act like it is not a big deal to do BN or N and I will tell you the same thing I tell them.

First it is just as dangerous jumping a BN or N log as it can be jumping prelim or up (seen bad accidents at every level) and it takes guts to leave that box no matter what size fence waits for your arrival in the field. The high is the same, the satisfaction just as sweet for many riders so to me it is what floats your boat and puts the thrill in your life!

In many ways the competition at BN and N can be quite fierce and little or no room for mistakes. when I was in college at the lower levels (then N and T) awards were very rarely decided on opt time on XC!!! Now you have kids and adults having to come in on the dot of XC with the top 4 placing all having the same dressage score or near to it!

Perfect your craft to your standard and love what you do! Good luck

CookiePony
Feb. 11, 2006, 04:53 PM
it takes guts to leave that box no matter what size fence waits for your arrival in the field.

Well said alterforsaftey! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

(edited to add quote)

JAGold
Feb. 11, 2006, 05:04 PM
It's about doing it right, not doing it big.

Once while in college, I was schooling my trainer's daughter's pony. Pony was very talented and very naughty -- in other words, he was a pony. And I was being a little snotty, thinking that I had more important things to do and he was darn well going to do what I wanted, right now, so I could get back to riding the "cool" horses. Instead of schooling transitions and changes of direction as I would on a "cool" horse who was being resistant, I was doing an unattractive and impatient kick-and-pull routine. My trainer walked past the ring, shook her head, and told me that good riders ride all horses and all situations to the best of their ability. It was a lesson I never forgot, and probably one of the most important I've ever learned.

All riding is hard. And we're all just trying to do it a little better than we did yesterday. So welcome to the club http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif --Jess

Janet
Feb. 11, 2006, 08:49 PM
Since her loaction is "The Old Dominion", I think it is a pretty good bet that she means Richmond VA.

Risk-Averse Rider
Feb. 12, 2006, 08:48 AM
Another one who worships at Our Lady of Perpetual Beginner Novice chiming in here...

That is, when I'm not in an "I can't possibly do this and need to give up and just do [insert some safer equine pursuit here] instead" phase.

But when I'm feeling rather chagrined about "only" doing BN (and, sad to say, not even doing it particularly well), I remind myself of all the folks who won't ride their horses outside of an arena - or won't jump them over anything - or, for that matter, all the folks who won't even get on a horse in the first place. And then I feel better about myself.

And when I *REALLY* need a kick in the pants, I remind myself that I can back up a horse trailer. And that puts a strut in my step <G>.

With apologies to the Marines, I think we need this motto:

The many. The proud. The weenies.

Eventer55
Feb. 12, 2006, 09:12 AM
Ooooh, oooooh me too. I was given a Tb 6 years ago and stayed in the BN division. I had a blast getting back into eventing after a rather long hiatus.

I'm also moving to Virginia as soon as the house sells. We 're going to be in Unionvile which is south of Middleburg. Let me know where you are, once I get there we can hook up and maybe meet for some schooling somewhere.

Hidden
Feb. 12, 2006, 01:45 PM
I've been riding alot longer than you and have no talent whatsoever so will always be at the lowest levels. When I got my new boy last spring I thought.. we will learn this summer and I will be able to compete by fall.. but no, it hasn't worked out that nicely. So this year (if all goes well/knock on wood/cross fingers) we will do some tadpole/elementary stuff and some CT's and dressage shows. I have to face the fact I will never be very good, but I do slowly (worst than molassas) improve. And he will improve with me (he likes this pace alot http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif) So there are lots of us in the lower levels. Pity is not needed here - just love of the sport! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

pooh
Feb. 12, 2006, 04:10 PM
So, we'll have our own little itty bitty beginner support group this up coming season!! I don't think there is anything wrong with starting low and slow until you feel safer and improve to the next level. With my horse - we may always be stuck at 2 foot and with my finances another horse isn't an option. So I'm hoping that after I get my feet wet to be able to hop some rides on other horses. My new trainer loves the idea that I'm petite ( as she is much taller than me) - her thought is I can work and show the smaller horses and ponies!! Found one good thing about being short!

SBClancy
Feb. 12, 2006, 04:40 PM
I think you should do whatever level you're comfortable with and have fun at. Many, many, many years ago and before children I did eventing. I'm just starting to get back into it and I am nervous about it but if I have to do elementary for 10 years to get comfortable again with it then that's what I'm going to do. I have a great 4 year old ISH gelding that this winter I've only done dressage with. I plan on this horse being my last ever horse so I want to take my time and do things right and make things not only fun for me but for him as well. And again if that's only doing elementary then that's what we'll do. I do have a goal though of BN at the end of this season. I'm hoping it'll be King Oak because I really love their course but if I don't get there then there's always next year.

Reynard Ridge
Feb. 12, 2006, 04:45 PM
I've been riding alot longer than you and have no talent whatsoever so will always be at the lowest levels. When I got my new boy last spring I thought.. we will learn this summer and I will be able to compete by fall.. but no, it hasn't worked out that nicely. So this year (if all goes well/knock on wood/cross fingers) we will do some tadpole/elementary stuff and some CT's and dressage shows. I have to face the fact I will never be very good, but I do slowly (worst than molassas) improve. And he will improve with me (he likes this pace alot ) So there are lots of us in the lower levels. Pity is not needed here - just love of the sport!
Well, I have found my twin! Pleased to meecha, long lost genetic partner!

ohioprospect
Feb. 12, 2006, 05:01 PM
I will have had her for a YEAR and a HALF at that point. In my case, life just gets in the way

In my case, it took me 6 YEARS to get to BN with the current horse, after having taken 10 YEARS off from serious riding.

deltawave
Feb. 12, 2006, 05:03 PM
The great thing about eventing is that there is a challenge for everyone, and everyone can find a "Rolex" to shoot for, even if Beginner Novice seems impossible when one is starting out. For me, recognized Training was the "pinnacle" I set out for myself when I started eventing. 10 years--and the right horse--later, we were cruising around at Prelim. You just never know! With the right equine partner ANYTHING is possible. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

And other than maybe 5-10% of posters here, most of us are "lower level riders", myself included. I will be "tackling" Novice level this year for the first time since 2002...and will be dry-mouthed, feeling like puking and palpitating the whole time! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif Never mind the last 3 seasons--there's nothing like a green horse to keep you humble, and nothing like eventing and your fellow eventers to keep it FUN. I'm going to have as much fun this season (assuming I can make it to some HTs, this is "build the barn" year) as I always have. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

As far as being "competitive" goes, that's also optional. Sheesh, there are so many super-fancy horses at Novice level nowadays that you need a score in the 20's to pin in the top 5. That's cool--you can still set your goals, have a total blast, and go home grinning. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lori B
Feb. 12, 2006, 06:02 PM
I feel a clique coming on !!!!

How about (following from RAR's excellent post)

Courageous Weenie Eventers

???? I will add it to my sig right now.

Really pumped tonight because I had a great ride on my new lease horse, and worked on 2 pt. until my legs felt like they were going to fall off. As I was taking him to his field, we walked in the snow and watched the full moon rise over the farm. Such a beautiful night.

flypony74
Feb. 12, 2006, 06:15 PM
I am a very happy lower level warrior! I honestly doubt that I will ever ride above Training Level, and that is fine with me. To do Training Level at a big event would be like going to the Olympics to me! I'm not very physically talented, and don't ride a big athletic TB, but I love going out and putting in three solid rides and having fun doing it!

I competed a wonderful mare at Novice for several years and had a ball. She is now retired, and I am bringing along a youngster and working to get my confidence back after a bad fall. We did one starter trial last fall and are shooting for BN in early summer. Coming out of that start box, my adrenaline rush will be no different than if I was leaving the start box at Rolex!

The best thing about this spoirt is that everyone can go out and have fun at their respective levels. Come join the fun!

easyklc
Feb. 12, 2006, 07:37 PM
I love this post, because I too am in the "weenie" crowd and although I dream about clearing huge jumps I will never likely go above training level. Heck, it's fine with me. Like another wise poster already said, the adrenaline is just as powerful at small jumps. I know I get a major rush going over a 2 foot log and stomping through the wading pool! I know I must look a fool half the time with my eyes as wide as dinner plates and my mouth hanging open in utter excitement. Let's please not discuss my aging thighs and creaking knees that never seem to stay in the right place once we depart earth...

I have a young horse who I'm bringing along myself with the help of my very seasoned trainer. She is very supportive and knows how thrilled and grateful I am to even be able to afford a horse and all that comes with it.

Greenies and weenies UNITE!

Libish
Feb. 13, 2006, 06:19 AM
I too am a greenie... early 30's that's been riding for 4 years now. Most of that riding has been flat work on a lesson horse once a week. Ownership has only been two years for me. Right now I'm BN level and that is a big enough challenge for me to keep me plenty busy this year. My long term goal is to go Novice and be comfortable with it. Comfortable being the key word. That might take a few years... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm hooked and motivated to learn all I can so I can excel at whatever level I'm riding in. I've only riden in one offical show last May and one schooling show. Way too fun. I've also tagged along to a bizillion shows with the barn helping, watching, learning (my teammates are all Training and up) and I have a blast doing that too.

I don't have a young or green horse though. I sold my 'greenish' horse last fall and bought what I really need, a nice steady safe Novice packer. She's pretty amazing - and forgiving!

Edited to ad: I'm not that good either... my motivation and desire far out-weigh my physical cooridnation or abilities. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Many days, especially jumping days, I feel like a huge dork and I know I look like one too - but I'm in an environment where I'm encouraged - so I keep at it!

BBowen
Feb. 13, 2006, 07:37 AM
Another lower level rider here and I will probably be riding lower level until I can't climb on my horse any longer.

When I got into eventing, I was well into my 40s. My mare had some lameness issues along the way, so competition was sporadic. She had off last year to have a baby. She is 19 y.o. this year, so if we do anything, it will be BN to get her out and have a little fun.

By the time her baby is ready to start eventing, I will be way too old to think about taking her beyond training level. If she has talent, I will have to turn the ride over to someone younger and more experienced.

Regardless of what level you ride or what level you aspire, have fun.

zagafi
Feb. 13, 2006, 07:42 AM
Ah, I've found kindred spirits! I'm 40 and am returning to riding with plans to event. It goes without saying that lower levels is what I aspire to--I just want to event for the joy of it!!

Heck, I don't even have my own horse yet, but plan to buy an OTTB within the next year or so. I'm just having a blast and hope to continue for many years.

Weenies unite!

pooh
Feb. 13, 2006, 08:22 AM
so I think we have our courageous weenie eventer clique!!It's great that so many of us are in the same boat!! And should be proud of it. Looks like alot of us are re-riders or late starters which makes it even more challenging ( and fun!)

Nancy!
Feb. 13, 2006, 09:12 AM
I have gone through the same thing. I live 3 hours from the nearest trainer that I would use. I find that many Horse Trials associations have great clinics and I try to do at least 2 in the spring. I also try to take my younger horses to clinics to expose them to things. Try and find some clinics to go to.

My entire goal was starter (2'9") when I started. That was the lowest division offered. I did a couple of years of starter on my one horse and then moved her up to pretraining (3') when I started my next horse at starter. Didn't finish the pretraining stadium course as I had a fall and hurt my hip. I did however ride my young guy. I then moved him up to pretraining after a year. Then I spent several years at pretraining because of my former ditch phobia.

Just last year I moved up to training and am planning to move up to prelim this year. My friend mentioned to me that I swore I'd never do pretraining.

I find that there is a lot of competition at the lower levels as some people are just not comfortable jumping the bigger fences so they spend more time at the lower levels and improve their dressage so much.

Good luck,
Nancy!

Robby Johnson
Feb. 13, 2006, 09:22 AM
Your request for support was actually music and inspiration to my ears! Thank you! I have only recently done my first Training with my horse (and it was my second finish ever at Training). Training is as high as I hope to aspire, though I'd gladly go back to any level - or not compete at all - just to experience the small breakthroughs each and every day.

Best luck to you! Just keep your positive attitude and focus on what makes you smile inside. The rest will fall into place.

Robby

Arado
Feb. 13, 2006, 09:27 AM
I was so happy to find this thread.I was thinking about this very thing this morning.I kinda consider myself a re-shower instead of rider [I've always had something to ride].I have now got an ottb that is green and willing and we started our intro late last fall.What a blast. We broke the the 30's on our second dressage test!!!The big horse loves it and even in our mistakes I can feel our confidence coming along.
I would say just enjoy it do what you can do .It is only time to do something more or different if YOUR expectations change.I have made a few friends. I have had some great lessons and clinics thanks to SA and her desire to improve the quality of instruction in our neck of the woods.
I have a tendancy to lurk and learn from this board.I don't join in very much.I would just encourage you to have a blast and share all that you feel "comfy" with,with the rest of us.!!!

bovon
Feb. 13, 2006, 12:51 PM
Oh my gawd..this has just been so wonderul..reading all of your posts has been like "eventing therapy' for me. I had no idea so many of you have gone through the same thing. I am just so inspired and pumped right now. I sure hope I can offer the same support to each and everyone of you that I've gotten here on this thread.

Gunnar
Feb. 13, 2006, 03:15 PM
bovon, another low level girl checking in! I, like many of us, am new to the HT world. I have a 4 year old draft X and we will be learning together! I come from HJ land and I jumped 3'6" in that world but in the HT world I am doing the little stuff. I am happy as a clam jumping those BN and Nov fences and will most likely never leave those levels. We will do our 1st HP in a month and go from there! I even keep my horses where I am out on the XC every time I ride so I get a lot of practice!

Fun as the training (and levels above that) looks I am not sure Miss Rosie and I will venture into that level. Bodie was certainly capable of training and more but he would have been scared so it would have been a wild time. Rosie is young and not a jumper so we will take it slow and easy!

We are a large group of riders and we usually dominate the entries from what I have seen. Join in the fun and smile! The most important part is the fun and I cannot wait to do my 1st HT later this year. I plan on having great fun.

Pocket Pony calls her XC runs the best time she ever had on a horse http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif and that was at the BN and N level. Just follow her lead and get out there for those once in a life time moments! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

Good luck in all you do!
http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hannahsmom
Feb. 14, 2006, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Risk-Averse Rider:
But when I'm feeling rather chagrined about "only" doing BN (and, sad to say, not even doing it particularly well), I remind myself of all the folks who won't ride their horses outside of an arena - or won't jump them over anything - or, for that matter, all the folks who won't even get on a horse in the first place. And then I feel better about myself.

So true. I have one horse that's going Intermediate (and who said 48 was old??? Come on, I did my first Intermediate at 48, it's all about having that horse that you utterly believe in), and another one that I'm proudly entering at BN. Which one do you think I find more challenging when I think about going in the box? Not the upper level horse, that's for sure.

And I always just shake my head when people keep asking me why I am planning on riding BN, especially the non-riders. Or offer them the reins and tell them to have at it! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I love eventing because it's about personal goals.

Arado
Feb. 14, 2006, 12:22 PM
So where is everyone planning to start off the year??? I myself am undecided more so due to scheduling and having a kid that rides[she comes first]Oh.... and I need to decide on XC colors.Ths same kid calls us "flaming chickens" http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif What do you think about bright orange annnnnnnnnnddddddd???????

p.s. I have really enjoyed this thread.

bovon
Feb. 14, 2006, 12:29 PM
I'm starting at Calais April 1st.. Anyone here heard of Calais, It's unrecognized but tons of fun. It's in Powhattan, VA.

Nancy!
Feb. 14, 2006, 01:31 PM
Hannahsmom: I agree that it is about personal goals. This year I am planning on a move up to Prelim with my older guy. I am also going to do Starter (2'9") with a 5 year old until he sells and I hope to do Entry (or whatever they are calling it this year) with my 4 year old. I'm sure I'll have more problems (or maybe that should be fear http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) with the 4 year old than my big guy.

Nancy!

Hannahsmom
Feb. 15, 2006, 04:11 AM
Nancy!, Sounds like you're going to have some fun! With my last guy, I was living in a part of the country which had lots of schooling events where there was green as grass, maiden, and hunter paces, nothing like having a lead over those fences! I love hunter paces.

mosmom
Feb. 15, 2006, 06:04 AM
I just started eventing last summer after many years of Hunters. We only did elem but have a goal of BN for this upcoming season. It looks like our first event will be at St. Augustine on April 30th.

Thanks for starting this thread. It's nice to read everyone's stories.

Lori B
Feb. 15, 2006, 08:58 AM
mosmom -- I recognized the fences in your pics -- you were at Olde Hope last fall for Oktoberfest, right? I was there too. We managed to complete, but it wasn't pretty! That was a very nice course, very encouraging. I won't be at St. Augustine because it's soo far away, but maybe we'll see each other at other MD events.

mosmom
Feb. 15, 2006, 09:06 AM
Lori B..yes it is Olde Hope but the event in August. I love Olde Hope, the xc course is very newbie friendly. They are having a schooling day on March 19th, which we are planning on doing.

Whisper
Feb. 15, 2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Hannahsmom:
I did my first Intermediate at 48, it's all about having that horse that you utterly believe in)
While I definitely won't be going Intermediate any time soon, if ever, I feel it's so important to work with a horse I trust! The guy I'm part-leasing has evented through Training in the past, and has packed two other people around their first BN in the last 5 months. He's taking one of them for her second one this weekend, and will probably help her move up to Novice later in the year. So, I absolutely know he knows his job, and has more than enough scope/talent for what I'll be asking him to do.

I'm going to a H/J schooling show and a Hunter Pace with him soon, and hope to do a 1 day 3-phase in either April or May. The one on my birthday even has a ground poles division, if I'm *really* feeling like a chicken! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif Speaking of which, I'd love to join the "brave weenies eventing clique." http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lori B
Feb. 15, 2006, 01:15 PM
Don't feel bad about the ground poles. I did yet another schooling show of crossrails two weekends ago, and even though I was on a saintly packer I still managed to almost fall off. Sigh.

Please join us in the clique!

CarrieK
Feb. 15, 2006, 02:41 PM
Ah, I've found kindred spirits! I'm 40 and am returning to riding with plans to event. It goes without saying that lower levels is what I aspire to--I just want to event for the joy of it!!
Me, too!

I'd like to join the clique, but I'm not so sure about the "Courageous" part! Getting back into riding after so many years away...well, I now know that I was pretty much a cowboy back in the day. Age has put a serious fear of broken bones into my psyche (altho when the cinch broke last year I discovered that I could still bounce! No harm done!)

My plans this year are to do a hunt trial at the hunt club in May but not event until later in the season.

Whisper
Feb. 15, 2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Lori B:
Don't feel bad about the ground poles.
I'll edit my sig to add it next time I'm on. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I figure I'd rather keep it low and safe. We're definitely going to do the W/T and W/T/C ground pole Hunter "courses" at the H/J schooling show. If all goes well, including jumping in the warmup, we'll also do the 18" and/or 2' classes. I'll probably be fine with the 18" or 2' division at the combined test, too, but it's nice having the poles as an option. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

I'm glad you stayed on!

pooh
Feb. 16, 2006, 11:42 AM
I have no idea when my first event is goign to be _ let alone to say what horse. My guy is still recoving from a quarter crack and haven't rec'd teh blessing from the farrier to start jumping yet. I'd like to use him , but if I can't we have 2 alternatives that I can borrow.

cj30080
Feb. 16, 2006, 01:31 PM
I'm an Amoeba Queen and proud of it (fence height 18-21 inches). I still get nervous even though I could probably jump over the fences on my own two feet. I feel no pressure to move up. My horse is supposed to be a dressage horse and eventing is her "hobby". I could vomit before a jumping round but after it's over and all goes well, it is the greatest feeling in the world for horse and me both.

spurz3
Feb. 16, 2006, 02:10 PM
Even though I'm not the OP, I feel like you all are talking to me. (I am relieved that I am not the only one feeling like a chicken. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif ) I have a great horse that has done Training and lots of P.C. schools, but the problem is me not him. I am scared to death while on the course schooling. I am trying to get up the nerve for my first HT. Somedays I wonder why I keep thinking about it and why I keep pushing on. Some days I psych myself out so much I don't even want to ride. I put so much pressure on myself that it no longer is fun. SO- my goals for this year are to learn to relax and enjoy my horse and IF my confidence stays up and my riding is at least safe enough, then and only then will I show. I bought some cd's that are supposed to help with programming your mind for peak performance- so I guess if I end up showing this year then I guess they worked, because I have been wanting to enter my first event for two years now.

One thing that had helped me on this thread it the thought that it's okay to stay at the lower levels. Duh, for some reason that never entered into my brain. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif It kind of takes the pressure off. I guess I don't have to worry about being the only adult in the 18" class now. I was always too embarrassed to sign up for it. Maybe I should put "Proud to be a Weenie" on my eventing vest.

Lori B
Feb. 16, 2006, 02:43 PM
Yes, Spurz, yes! Take your time, gently encourage yourself along, set yourself up to SUCCEED, and if you want to do more, you will.

I've only been jumping since last June, riding just less than 2 years. I had a good start last summer, then got a little overfaced and fell a few times and got spooked, and have been trying to get brave again over the winter. And last night in my lesson we schooled a couple x-rails and a small vertical, and I wasn't scared. It takes time and an honest, kind, confidence building horse, but you can be brave.

When I named this clique the Courageous Weenie Eventers, I was not being sarcastic. If we tell ourselves we're brave, we will BE brave. You are riding and jumping at all -- that's braver than most folks right off the bat. I can't tell you how many seemingly large tough guys have told me they are afraid of horses period. So give yourself credit and let yourself move up at your own pace; or not; but keep riding, whatever else happens.

Candle
Feb. 16, 2006, 08:33 PM
http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sigh.gif I'm calling myself a member of the "weenie with a greenie" clique now.

I think it's going to be forever before the stars align and I can actually go event again

Hannahsmom
Feb. 17, 2006, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by spurz3:
One thing that had helped me on this thread it the thought that it's okay to stay at the lower levels. Duh, for some reason that never entered into my brain. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif It kind of takes the pressure off.

It's ABSOLUTELY okay to stay at the lower levels. There is nothing that ticks me off more than people(it's usually yourself, spouses, or friends) that put so much pressure on someone to 'move up'. This really does make me angry. If someone is having fun and enjoying what they are doing, then life is good whether one is riding the 'poles on the ground' division or whatever. You have to remember as a rider that no-one is really 'looking at you' to see what level you are riding. They are too busy having their own fun. The "bestest" thing about eventing is the camaderie, the taking care of your horse, the beautiful grounds we are priviledged to ride on. So much prettier than around and around in a ring. If I had a good trail riding horse I would trail ride, but my horse loves to gallop across rolling fields so we event. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Libish
Feb. 17, 2006, 06:44 AM
Well put Hannahsmom.

Mirror and I are doing our first schooling show in two weeks (Woodlands in OK). We haven't schooled XC yet together, so I entered Green As Grass. I can't tell you how excited I am about it! What fun it will be! I'm a little nervous about dressage though - it's just walk trot, and you know, 'just' walk/trot is not all that easy....

Our first recgonized event will be the beautiful Holly Hill in LA! Beg Novice Rider. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Gunnar
Feb. 17, 2006, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by ekeer:
Well put Hannahsmom.

Mirror and I are doing our first schooling show in two weeks (Woodlands in OK). We haven't schooled XC yet together, so I entered Green As Grass. I can't tell you how excited I am about it! What fun it will be! I'm a little nervous about dressage though - it's just walk trot, and you know, 'just' walk/trot is not all that easy....

Our first recgonized event will be the beautiful Holly Hill in LA! Beg Novice Rider. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ekeer,hello! glad to hear you and your Beautiful Mirror are getting out! I have a greenie now and in March we will be doing our 1st HP, sticking to elementary. She and I will learn together. We have schoooled some BN but I am trying to refrain from jumping her young little body!She is very brave and could care less about the XC jumps. I have not schooled her over stadium jumps so I hope has some respect. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/uhoh.gif

In a month we will go to our 1st dressage show and let us hope she steers better by then. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif It should be entertaining. I have miles of show experience but this will all be new for me!

Good luck to you and to all of us out there being brave! I am a rider who feels brave every time I mount up. Most of my injuries have been while just hacking in a ring! Jumping is just a plus and the more you do it the easier it gets. I have been so lucky to jump, jump, jump....... http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif I will admit with Bodie's injury http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/cry.gif my jumping days have been limited in the last 2 years. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sadsmile.gif Lately my eye is gone but so far I am only trotting Miss Rosie over the jumps so it is fine!

Yahoo and have a great, courageous weekend of riding!

doccer
Feb. 17, 2006, 09:54 AM
I don't know about 'weeny eventers' http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I think something a little more sophisticated would sound better http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Like....

Hop, Skip, and a Jump Ahead Eventer Clique

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

pooh
Feb. 17, 2006, 10:12 AM
I still like the "weenie" part!! I know when I was doing hunters I hated going to shows unless they had a long stirrup division - at least then I'd be against adults. I always feel bad when I show against kids, they may be gutsier than me, but I just think adults do ride differently as we have better attention to details - which makes a difference in the dressage part. But at this point - sinc eboth my horse and I are green to eventing - I think I'll gladly show with the kids!!

StrawberryFields
Feb. 17, 2006, 10:18 AM
Lol this is a great post! heheh i love reading about all the ppl on here like me! My first event will prob be.......Redland in april i think? If all goes well. *WAVES HANDS!* I will be at the olde hope schooling also!

deltawave
Feb. 17, 2006, 12:23 PM
Who mentioned "weenies on greenies"...I think that is BRILLIANT and I want to sign up for that clique! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

Lori B
Feb. 17, 2006, 12:45 PM
It is! Of course, I'm more like a Weenie on a Saintly Packer. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif My goal for the clinic this Saturday is not to ask him to demonstrate his saintly demeanor, over and over again.

mosmom
Feb. 17, 2006, 12:46 PM
Sarah we'll have to meet up at Olde Hope. I can't wait for it! My son Robby and his pony Fiesta will be there for there first xc schooling together, so it should be a fun day.

deltawave
Feb. 17, 2006, 12:50 PM
Well, when I'm on my saintly packer I can shed the "weenie" label temporarily. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif But when I climb on the baby, I strap on the big yellow streak! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

doccer
Feb. 17, 2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by deltawave:
Who mentioned "weenies on greenies"...I think that is BRILLIANT and I want to sign up for that clique! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

But what if you're NOT on a greenie!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif What's a name for "Sensible mid-20-year-old-rider, on a gorgeous 'wannabe' devilish grade horse, showing 2ft9 coming 3ft .... maybe http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif "

Not a greenie, not a packer..... maybe Weenie would be appropriate

Gunnar
Feb. 17, 2006, 01:42 PM
Ok OK I am in the "Weenies on Greenies" crowd on Rosie.

But I will have to say that is better than the Weenies on "Bodie Crowd" (my Eq. horse who I was converting to a HT horse before he hurt himself again http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/cry.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sadsmile.gif) as he would have been a whirling dervish out there. Talented as he is he much prefers the show ring and is happy to bow out for now!That clique would be the wild and crazy one that is for sure!

Yahoo...................

ThreeHorseNight
Feb. 17, 2006, 08:47 PM
I would guess that the majority of the riders here are lower level riders, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you look at the USEA stats for how many riders rode in events in which divisions last year, you'll see that the vast majority were at at the lower levels.

Heck, I haven't even ever evented, because I'm such a weenie. No matter what I jumped at home (and that was only 2'6", on a good day, with a stiff tailwind, on a saintly horse), when I got out in that big cross country field to school, even the single logs on the ground made me nervous! I went to a cross country schooling last year (mostly to watch), and the only thing I'd do was trot up the "steps" (I love up, it's down that scares me), and I did those steps over and over again.

I've always wanted to event, but never have -- it's a combination of me not having had the right horse, or the right trainer, or having health problems that interfered with my riding, or not being in the right place at the right time, etc. I do own a horse who is being evented by a young rider now, only at Novice level, but it's still fun to see my horse going out and doing it (but I'd rather it was with me doing it!)

Honestly, last year I rode in a combined test that had a walk/trot dressage test and a crossrail class. It was pretty embarassing to be in that class, as the other entrants were kids and adults who had just started riding, but truly, that's all I was capable of doing, so I threw away my pride and entered. When I finished the cross rail class, you would have thought I'd finished Rolex.... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I love eventing, and given my choice, that's what I'd be doing, even if only at Beginner Novice. But that's just not in the picture for me now, and it may never be. So when I feel like the weeniest of weenies, I remind myself of my friends who are scared to death to ride out of the arena, or trot a crossrail. And I remind myself that I have some pretty good reasons to be scared (a few horrible falls that really shook my confidence, a really bad back that can't take much more pounding, and a bit of a balance problem some days).

Bovon, this probably doesn't make you feel any better -- I'm not trying to join the "my problems are worse than yours" club -- but hang in there. Just starting an event is an achievement, and finishing one (at ANY level) is a big achievement. This is a heck of sport that demands so much from the horse and the rider at any level. If you are trying your hardest, and being fair to your horse (not overfacing him), don't worry about what other people might be thinking about you. If I worried about that, I'd be sitting home every weekend!

B Street Tango
Feb. 18, 2006, 06:06 AM
I'm loving this thread! I'm late 30's, started riding a few years ago and got into eventing with a green bean off the track. I know, I know...worst combination! But we persevered and finally finished our first BN HT last August after 2 years.

People often ask me why I do it if it frightens me so badly and I don't really have an answer. Other than I just really WANT it so badly! I believe if I can just keep at it, it won't BE so scary anymore. It's already worlds better. A 2' jump used to look huge to me, now...not so much! I think people that have been riding since childhood can't grasp the "sense of mortality" that we adults feel when approaching something unknown or new. I don't have all that muscle memory to rely on, plus it probably doesn't help that I'm a control freak. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Lord help me if I'm ever on XC on one of those horses that is running away with it's rider, I think I'd pee my pants!

My plan is to stick with BN until I'm bored, then I'll think about moving up to N. I would be so proud to just be knocking confidently around a Novice course that Training would just be icing on the cake. I may or may not EVER make it to Training but I'm okay with that.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who struggles with some of these issues.

deltawave
Feb. 18, 2006, 06:14 AM
Hey, wanting something very badly is a VERY good reason for us to do stuff that scares us. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif This is how we grow.

If I hadn't started eventing when I was still a REASONABLY semi-brave 30 year old I probably never would have. I'm WAY more chicken now than I was at that time. (motherhood will do that to you)

I'm really glad I started when I did, even though I went about it "all wrong" with a green OTTB, no coach, and nothing in the way of experience except the fact that I'd foxhunted as a kid and rode lots of rank ponies bareback. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Actually I would love to have been able to start out as a teenager or a kid, but that was not in the cards.

Everyone who events has a story. Yeah, the polished kids on their fabulous horses making it look easy at the upper levels make us a little jealous, but if you talk to the typical middle-aged woman riding her "not exactly bred for eventing" horse through the finish flags at her first BN, I defy you to find someone who's more excited, more proud, and more in love with the sport. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

B Street Tango
Feb. 18, 2006, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by deltawave:
but if you talk to the typical middle-aged woman riding her "not exactly bred for eventing" horse through the finish flags at her first BN, I defy you to find someone who's more excited, more proud, and more in love with the sport. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A truer word was never spoken! I felt like I had conquered the world after completing that first event!

hb
Feb. 19, 2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by B Street Tango:
I think people that have been riding since childhood can't grasp the "sense of mortality" that we adults feel when approaching something unknown or new.

What is even worse, is to have ridden since childhood and then all of a sudden feel this "sense of mortality" attack in the mid-30s.

I had to switch trainers because the one I'd been training with for years just couldn't get it through her head that I did not feel comfortable jumping 3'3" on my new horse even though I'd done that in my 20s on my prior horse. Having her get angry with me in lessons for a few months didn't help.

I found a new trainer who actually LIKES to teach adults, because we tend to analyze and discuss more and she finds that a more interesting style to teach to. Anyway, 18 months ago I was freezing up at cross rails and it took over a year to get me barely comfortable jumping 2'6".

I wish I had the excuse of just learning to ride. I did take two years off of riding in my early 30s, but the confidence was fading before that.

I'm hoping to do a couple of BN events and possibly Novice this year. Depends on how the season goes. If I do any more 2' classes I'm probably going to go HC. I feel guilty competing and winning against people who've only been riding a couple of years. But last year, I knew if I entered a higher division I'd freeze on x-c and dump my horse into a fence. I just need to get back my MOJO!!!!!

Lori B
Feb. 20, 2006, 04:21 AM
hb -- what is 'HC'?

Do what feels safe and enjoyable to you. Just don't compete in 2' classes in MD, I was hoping to get a ribbon this season! (Kidding!) Seriously, though, this is something we all do for FUN; having a trainer that stresses you out about the fact that your comfort level with higher jumps has changed on a new horse? Totally unnecessary, and you were wise to get a different trainer.

hb
Feb. 20, 2006, 11:00 AM
HC stands for something that is spelled somewhat like Hors Concours. It means your scores don't count for the ribbons. So I'd still get my dressage test with comments and scores but we wouldn't be considered for placings.

So, here is my problem with jumping. When I get nervous, then three strides out I drop my shoulders and take my legs off. This makes it difficult for my horse and she either powers off really flat and long, or just stops.

So, I know I do this. And I know how to fix it. So five strides out I say to myself in my head, or even outloud "shoulders lift, leg leg; shoulders lift, leg leg" and the jump goes well. After few times I get over it and can jump a course. Maybe if there's a scary fence on the course I have to talk myself through that.

But when I'm telling myself "leg leg" it is actually difficult to keep my leg on. My knees feel like jello and I'm a little light-headed.

Towards the end of the season last summer I went out x-c schooling a couple of times and jumped a small (5-6 jumps) course of solidly 2'6" tables and logs. One of the logs was even 2'9". But it took a lot of "psyching up" to do that. Wasn't ready to enter a show at that height. But I want to do it SO BADLY!

Do any other of you adult riders get week knees? I've never experienced anything this unsettling before.

One of my non-horsey friends asked me why I would keep trying at something that was so far out of my comfort zone. I just can't imagine not keeping trying. I should have asked him why he DOESN'T do anything out side of his comfort zone.

Sorry for the thread-highjack, but this is about being a perpertual lower-level competitor I guess.

deltawave
Feb. 20, 2006, 11:27 AM
hb, I recommend a good stiff dose of foxhunting on an experienced, sane packer-type of horse. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

I've never been any good at remembering "mantras" either while jumping or during dressage tests. (which is where I tend to choke)

Have you ever gone out jumping on a really, really good horse who won't stop and who will take care of you? I highly recommend it as an antidote for wussiness...I own a horse that ought to be cloned as the cure for timid riders. Really--not saying your horse is the problem at ALL, but a few trips on a super-brave, super-honest, super-smart horse can do WONDERS for one's courage level. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

Lori B
Feb. 20, 2006, 11:40 AM
hb --
Your experiences are SO not a highjack. I think we were talking about something similar up above. MANY of us are working on confidence issues and trying to be brave over fences even if we struggle with feeling really afraid sometimes.

I really agree with deltawave -- the success I've had lately getting over my fear is due to 3 things -- working on 2pt. and my position a lot, and starting to lease a Saintly Packer named Chance who doesn't stop and doesn't run out and just happily chugs along like the energizer bunny; steady, kind, and calm. If it weren't for this guy, I would be gritting my teeth over ground poles still.

hb
Feb. 20, 2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks!

I haven't had access to a packer, although there is one horse at the barn where I take lessons that I might be able to ride a couple of times. I had a flat lesson on her last summer and I've heard she's a very nice ride over fences - ex-show hunter with a steady rhythm. Now that I've been taking lessons there for awhile I think they might let me jump her, I was planning on asking this spring.

I'm nervous I'll mess her up though! I've been told that as nervous as I was I would telegraph it to any horse and have a difficult time. I feel like I'm better enough now that I might be able to get around on a packer.

Things were going so much better by the end of last summer. We've been working on dressage all winter, filling the gaps in our basics. I can feel that the jumping will be better because of that.

One clinician I've ridden with a couple of times said something very helpful. She told me one challenge with teaching is that she has to teach to the lowest common denominator in a person's skill set. She said that for me the lowest part was my confidence, that my position was secure and my timing was decent. She said she's many students with the opposite issues - not as secure in their position but want to jump the moon. This made sense, and also helped explain the issues wiht my prior trainer, she was just focusing on my physical riding skills on not giving any credence to the mental aspects.

StrawberryFields
Feb. 20, 2006, 05:11 PM
I used to be really scared to jump my green bean (she would stop, then fall over the jump..weird, huh?). And since i am still young, i didnt really know how to handle it. So finally one day she tried to stop and i whacked her one good with my crop and we have been OK ever since! I just....rode! haha

spurz3
Feb. 20, 2006, 09:07 PM
I totally get weak knees and sweating hands rubbery arms and back etc. So no, your not alone hb. I really make it tough on myself to have any strength left to actually ride when my time comes. I think for me, once my position is really secure, it's just going to take doing a lot of jumping at schooling shows for me to get over my phobia of jumping in front of others. I do much better in dressage, but any over fences classes and I'm toast http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/dead.gif-actually jelly.
Something I heard on the Olympics tonight from Bodie Miller really impressed me. He said (paraphrased version) that one thing most people do is get all worked up about what everyone else thinks that they make mistakes. He goes for his personal best each time and doesn't care a bit what anyone else thinks as long as he is happy with what he did. (something like that anyway) So I like to think it's possible to not let the pressure get to you if you just decide not to let others dictate how you should perform. Now I just have to act like I believe that at a show! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

Oh btw it sure does help to have a horse on your side, but I found the issues still dog me anyway. Just something I have to work through. And yes it's totally out of my comfort zone and some days I want to just through in the towel, but I have found us horse people don't give up easily. The day I complete my first event will indeed be like winning at Rolex, so I can sooo relate with you all.

Libish
Feb. 21, 2006, 05:47 AM
Hi Gunnar! Glad to hear you are doing so well considering you've been through some upsets recently. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Gunnar
Feb. 21, 2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by ekeer:
Hi Gunnar! Glad to hear you are doing so well considering you've been through some upsets recently. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ekeer, thanks! (by the way I am still loving the Purple Light Up Horsey Pen!!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif)

To everyone in our weenie clique, I had a XC lesson on Miss Rosie and trainer is like:

"well are you going to try the new bank, that is 3 strides away from a large palm log?? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif"

Rosie and I have jumped 2 times in the couple months I have known her but now we seem to be attempting BN to N fences. I have not even taken her over a stadium jump!! This is a combination I do not believe would be in any BN or even N competition but we were game! I have problems trotting jumps and even when I was competitive in the EQ (been 2 1/2 years since Bodie got hurt and I have not jumped much since) I want to lean at that jump. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sadsmile.gif On a greenie I am even more leanie http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif.

We jumped a few and headed for the combination. 1st time we ran out at the bank (2nd jump) but by the 2nd try we had it! This is on a horse that does not steer so I had my work cut out for me. We did it at least 5 times more and had a few problems but in the end we worked it out. For example one time Macy, on of the barn dogs, is standing on the other side of the bank, slightly to the left. So rather than heading to the right to avoid her me eye stays on her and we run out to the left and almost kill her. This is a classic example of not looking where you do not want to go!!

Rosie and i have a lot to learn but so far she wants to pack my A$$ around if I only let her. Once she steers is should be a cake walk!! I just have to get used to jumping a smaller greenie and this will take a while after Bodie and Gunnar http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sadsmile.gif

Hope the weekend brought many courageous moments for us all! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Lori B
Feb. 21, 2006, 11:43 AM
Rock on, Steph! I loff Rosie, by the way. I'll bet she really rocks when she gets power steering installed. ;-)

I know what you mean about the problem of looking where you DON'T want to go, out of terror, and then winding up there. Noooo! I used to be afraid of trying to steer Topper around particular standards in the arena, and my instructor wouldn't move 'em, she made me deal with 'em, and I thought I as going to eat them every time around.

Gunnar
Feb. 22, 2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Lori B:
Rock on, Steph! I loff Rosie, by the way. I'll bet she really rocks when she gets power steering installed. ;-)

I know what you mean about the problem of looking where you DON'T want to go, out of terror, and then winding up there. Noooo! I used to be afraid of trying to steer Topper around particular standards in the arena, and my instructor wouldn't move 'em, she made me deal with 'em, and I thought I as going to eat them every time around.

LoriB, thanks! I love Rosie already and she is brand spanking shiny (well not shiny!) new. We will work on the steering but she is quite a character and I am told she chooses her own path sometimes. While out in the mountains, getting trail broke, she supposedly took a distinct left and chose the No Trail Route over the Fire Road. So I may be trying to steer her rubberband body for years to come. She is very fexible but chooses to flex at her will instead of mine! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

PS: My Nephew's name is Chance! It is an unusual and special name I think!

tullyleague
Feb. 24, 2006, 06:20 AM
Butting in (and hopefully bumping this thread up)...

Bovon, thank you for starting this thread! I am a re-rider who showed primarily hunters as a child and teenager. Having returned to riding in the last two years, and having recently purchased a great, older "packer" type, I want to try something new. I don't have the time, energy or finances to do hunter again.

Eventing really appeals to me. I just have no idea how or where to start. Is there a Chickensh**t level for people like me, with teeney jumps and soft pillows on the ground in case you fall off? How do I find where/when these shows would occur?

I guess what I'm asking is - is there a "how to" guide for getting started?

mosmom
Feb. 24, 2006, 06:33 AM
tullyleague there are some events that offer a green horn division, jumps are only 12" but no pillows http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

tullyleague
Feb. 24, 2006, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by mosmom:
tullyleague there are some events that offer a green horn division, jumps are only 12" but no pillows http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Darn!

Where can I find listings? I'm in MA, so anywhere in New England is game.

Hannahsmom
Feb. 24, 2006, 07:51 AM
tullyleague, eventing was BORN in Area I. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif There should be lots of opportunities. Go to the USEA website, look for links for Area I (the area MA is in), look for you local MA club and find a contact and ask them for help and information.

Perfect Pony
Feb. 24, 2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by hb:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B Street Tango:
I think people that have been riding since childhood can't grasp the "sense of mortality" that we adults feel when approaching something unknown or new.

What is even worse, is to have ridden since childhood and then all of a sudden feel this "sense of mortality" attack in the mid-30s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Add me to this group. I rode A LOT as a teenager. My first horse was a 2 year old Galicino when I was 10!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif My second horse (at the age of 12) was a 6 year old barely broke Anglo-Arab mare. Never had an ounce of fear, when on to ride anything and everything, and topped off my riding at the age of 19 as an assistant for a semi BNT riding all their babies.

I had to stop riding from 24-34 years old and now I am just a totally different person. Here I am DIY with my coming 4 year old TB mare and breaking down crying in my lessons when she has her fits.

Anyway, there's no right or wrong. All we can do is go at our own pace and try to have fun.

tullyleague
Feb. 24, 2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Hannahsmom:
tullyleague, eventing was BORN in Area I. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif There should be lots of opportunities. Go to the USEA website, look for links for Area I (the area MA is in), look for you local MA club and find a contact and ask them for help and information.

Thanks!

Lori B
Mar. 3, 2006, 12:06 PM
Updates? Bump!

How's it going? What are you all working on? Progress to report?

Last Saturday I went to my first ever XC schooling at Frying Pan Park in Herndon, VA. We stuck to little stuff, logs and small coops, and even trotted into the scary water and jumped up the small bank on the other side. He was a bit anxious about being off the farm, but was mainly super. And tomorrow we're going to do the 2' classes at the Waters Edge in house jumper show.

RAyers
Mar. 3, 2006, 12:26 PM
I have a question after reading a few posts. Why do you consider yourself(-eves) a "weenie?" I know a few folks here and I know you have the same emotions about XC that I do. From a mental perspective there is little difference between you and the upper level riders.

One of the most inspiring rides I ever saw, and it still inspires me today, is of a 12 year-old girl on her pony who was terrified in the start box at Novice. When I saw her gallop off to the first fence it was like watching what Eventing is all about. I swear after watching her go around I had the best ride of my life because she showed me what it is all about.

To me, nobody who gets on and does what they want to do on a horse is a "weenie." It is the person who refuses to even try that is a "weenie." You guys try and succeed!

Jo whitehouse at a recent meeting said something like 82%-85% of all rounds in the US are at Training or below. Without you this sport would not exist and a lot of upper level riders know that. I hope you guys are really proud because I am proud to be able to compete with you and watch you go!

Reed

Lori B
Mar. 3, 2006, 12:39 PM
Thank you RAYers!
Tone of voice is not available on the web, and I guess I coined that name sort of tongue in cheek. To me, though, Training level would be like Rolex.

I'm 41 years old, been riding less than 2 years, and jumping less than a year. If I EVER complete a Beginner Novice HT, I would alert the media. ;-) Right now, I plan to do a couple elementary HTs this spring and summer, and if I can manage to stay on the horse for the whole thing (0 for 2 attempts last season, ha), I'll consider moving up next year. I find jumping to be mentally and physically very challenging. That said, I'm proud to be trying.

When I see what my barnmates and the folks on this board can do on a horse, I almost feel silly calling myself a rider, much less an eventer. But I'm sticking with it, and encourage other folks at the lower levels to be proud of their efforts.

RAyers
Mar. 3, 2006, 12:50 PM
I figure it was tongue-in-cheek but at the same time I want you guys to know that others don't see you that way. Ekeer rocked at High Prairie last year (I hope she comes out again in the Fall). It was wonderful to watch her go even though she was next to last for the day! I still get goosebumps seeing her gallop across the open space with a big grin!

Seriously, I find that I rely on you guys to give me courage to go where I do. Don't ask me to explain. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Reed

Whisper
Mar. 3, 2006, 12:52 PM
Why do you consider yourself(-eves) a "weenie?" I know a few folks here and I know you have the same emotions about XC that I do. From a mental perspective there is little difference between you and the upper level riders.

For me personally, I consider myself to be a "weenie" eventer because I'm sticking to the tiny stuff. I do get scared once in a while, but if anything, I'm generally more brave than when I was younger. I do want to take things slowly and cautiously, so that I can be as safe as possible. I don't want to be one of "those people" who are pointed at as a bad example, "She should *never* be going cross country when ____."

I recognize that cross country, even at the tiny levels, is more dangerous than most other equine sports. Vaulting, my other discipline, is one of the safest, but some of the moves look and feel pretty unnerving. In both, I'm trying to go for it, and do the best I can

RAyers
Mar. 3, 2006, 01:00 PM
Whisper, what you do is not being a "weenie" eventer but rather a WISE horseman.

Reed

deltawave
Mar. 3, 2006, 02:11 PM
Weenie is not a pejorative in this context. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Rather, I think it's a term of affection and (at least the way I use it) a sign of knowing one's own limitations and NOT having an ego bigger than one's riding talents.

As a self-proclaimed "weenie" I, at least, mean no disrespect using that term. I *am* what you'd call "courage impaired" about a lot of things, but totally realize how that is relative depending on one's experiences, life situation, horse, and just plain what time of day it is. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif For instance, I'm a WHOLE lot braver *after* XC than I am *before*... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Lori B
Mar. 3, 2006, 02:38 PM
Exactimentally, Deltawave.

Whisper
Mar. 3, 2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by RAyers:
Whisper, what you do is not being a "weenie" eventer but rather a WISE horseman.

Reed
Thanks! I had a H/J schooling show last weekend, and we have plans to get out to some dressage shows at Training Level and a couple of Hunter paces in the next two months. In the end of April or May, I hope to do a one-day combined test at 18" or 2'. The horse is up to much more than that, but I want to do the individual pieces reasonably well before putting them together, then do so at the easiest level we can. I just think the jumps are pretty "weenie" if I can hop over them on foot! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

Gunnar
Mar. 3, 2006, 05:17 PM
I agree you with Rayers. Anyone who even goes on out on XC is not a weenie. We are just feeling weenie like with our little jumps! I come from H/J world and jumped much higher there. Due to my age and lack of horse power i doubt I will ever attempt a Training but I do plan on having one hell of a time in the BN and N. A little fear is healthy and keeps us from really doing something dumb! In my case my XC experience is limited.

Last weekend Rosie and I did some more schooling and that little horse wants to be so good. She is very forward and if she steered there would be no problems at all. We did the new upbank again, 4 strides from the Palm Log. Perfect the 1st time. Ok now go the other way. We went slow but we went.

Now do that other Down bank to those Barrels. Oh my!! Rosie sometimes is exuburant and leaps off the down banks, leaving Old Steph to come along in the rumble seat. Now I am not that bad but it seems timing is everything. Next time I am ready for the leap and of course she doesn't leap. With Bodie I was prepared for leaping etc but with Rosie I have not figured it out yet! Give me a little time and I will get it!

From there we progessed to a small course. Several new jumps did not phase her. Everything goes great if I ride like my years of riding have taught me! It is when I have "weenie" thoughts that we have any baubles. It is somewhat embarassing to make those rider errors when you have the experience I have. I chalk it up to being a "weenie on a Greenie"! At least I have an excuse!!

Hope everyone has a good weekend and keep up the good work!

Lori B
Mar. 5, 2006, 06:24 AM
How about, everyone who tries to JUMP at all is not a weenie? Sigh.

I could not get the rhythm right in our little jumper show yesterday, and nearly fell off twice at 2'. I was riding so much better last weekend! I should have asked Chance to go more forward, when we poke along he picks weird spots (really short and really long) and jumps 'lurchy', and I'm just hanging on for dear life. At least I managed to stay on and remember my course.

Back to work, it's gotta get better if I keep at it.....

deltawave
Mar. 5, 2006, 07:27 AM
Put that leg on, LoriB! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It is SOOOO easy to feel like you CAN'T ask for that nice, forward canter in a show ring. Believe me, I can sympathize! But that is one thing you MUST do--even if it feels like you're asking the horse to go gunning forward, they almost never do! And they can't jump (especially strange jumps!) from a "going nowhere" canter. Don't ASK me how I know... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

When in doubt, put the leg on! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif You will rarely, if ever, regret it. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Libish
Mar. 5, 2006, 03:32 PM
Ahhh... Reed... thanks! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I've decided not to label myself as a weenie anymore...timid, yes, weenie no. If I were a weenie I'd have given up by now. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif So, went to my first schooling HT with my new girl on Saturday ..... we won our division on our dressage score! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I decided to enter GAG rather than BN (we were sans John this weekend). It was such a blast and a confidence boost too!

pooh
Mar. 5, 2006, 05:23 PM
First of all-- great job ekeer!!!!!
I'm happy to say my horse and I are once again getting along - we had a very bad and frustrating week - I actaully ended my lesson short on Monday after we finally did something right because I was soooo frustrated with "our" lack of dressage ability. Course I take lessons with a dressage judge!! Nothing like trying to convert a low and slow lazy QH who did "contact what contact?" to one who not only accepts the contact but moves up through his hind and and back. I'm still waiting for his quarter crack to grow out - so he's not jumping yet.
But...I'm working on training a horse that is in for sale for my trainer, she really knows how to go forward but really didn't have any brakes, so I was very apprehensive about cantering, let alone jumping her. But today, we mastered some nice bending, actually doing downward transitions within a few strides ( as opposed to a lap around the ring) cantered, and...actually JUMPED!! OMG the first jump ( we know she can jump 3 foot) I was so out of the tack and behind ( course I did look down) , but then we got progressively better ( I hadn't jumped since last July). So depending on my horse's progress- I may even consider taking her to some events - but then everyone better pray that I come to the finish wiht her!

Whisper
Mar. 5, 2006, 05:46 PM
LoriB, I'm glad you stayed on! You're right, just a basic working canter can feel so fast in an indoor arena.

Ekeer, congrats on your outing with your new horse. How old is she? Has she done a horse trial before? I think it was pretty smart of you to take her at the level you felt confident at. Do you think the two of you will give BN a try next time?

Pooh, I had a frustrating couple of lessons (Friday and yesterday) at the other barn I ride at. Today went really well though. I'm glad both of us seem to be back on track now. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 5, 2006, 05:50 PM
Weenie checking in! Went cross country schooling on Saturday! Wahoo! As much as I hate to admit it, I needed a refresher course in why I like eventing. A brisk gallop, a few small fences, water and a ditch were a lovely reminder.

A thought on this thread. There are a large number of fellow weenies here. What often happens with threads like these (and I know because I am on a few of them http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif) is that they eventually evolve into PTs.

You end up winnowing down to the few people who are really interested in chatting about the topic at hand (in this case, weenies and greenies), PLUS you get to go off topic a bit.

Anybody interested? I'd be happy to set it up if we get 10 or 15 SIGN ME UPS!!

Libish
Mar. 5, 2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks everyone.

Whisper, my mare is coming 12 and a true Novice packer. I just purchased her in October from a nice family in Virgina. She was ridden through training and schooled premlim even. She's a small QH Appendix at 15.1 and has a heart of gold and never ending patience with me. And, I swear she has radar for fences...she looks for them and say's 'let's go!'

We went GAG for this schooling to get my feet wet without so much of the nerves. We are entered in BN at Holly Hill (Louisiana) in 4 weeks and I plan to enter BN in three or four more shows in Area IV & V this spring!

Whisper
Mar. 5, 2006, 06:01 PM
Ekeer, she sounds absolutely wonderful! I'm sure the two of you will have an absolute blast! I'm in a similar situation with the guy I'm part-leasing - we're keeping it tiny for me. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif It was really windy today, and two of the horses with paddocks right next to the ring were acting up: making faces at him, bucking, threatening to kick, and so forth. It was pretty loud, too! *I* spooked a few times, and was a little bit worried that he'd get upset by it, but it didn't phase him a bit. I can do seat exercises (arm cirles, leg scissors, stuff like that) at the walk and trot during our warmup, and he'll just go along on the buckle in a steady rhythm along the rail. I know that no horse is guaranteed to be 100% safe, but the steady-eddies like him and your mare really build our confidence, don't they?

Libish
Mar. 5, 2006, 06:10 PM
She's my hero! As my friend says, they (packers/lesson horses) are worth their weight in gold.

Hidden
Mar. 5, 2006, 06:25 PM
Checking back in on all us Lower level folks.. not weenies cause if I was a weenie I sure wouldn't be doing this at all. 2 weeks ago had my first falling out with my lovey dovey. I shoved the stirrup off the bar over little line we were galloping. Talk about a bit ahead of him? Amazing what glasses that don't break can do to your face (not to mention connecting with the sandy arena). All healed in a week and back to jumping. This time I did a Sally Swift and played the "good ride" video. We had a great lesson. So I'm off to a dressage show in mid March.. just to go and see what's what. Will be on our own but sure to see nice folks there. Planning on CT in mid-april (barring additional ground attacks!)

Whisper
Mar. 5, 2006, 06:34 PM
I'm curious what you mean by "good ride video." Is it one that was taken of a good ride you had in the past, and you watched it before your ride, or a visualization exercise?

Hidden
Mar. 5, 2006, 06:37 PM
I visualized the "good ride" and played it in my mind so I didn't get all wrapped up in the mistakes of the past.

mosmom
Mar. 6, 2006, 12:04 PM
Yesterday I had a lesson and it went so well that I just have to share. We have been working on bigger, wider jumps and we are finally getting it. I think Mo and I finally made a real connection and he is trusting me. Some of the jumps last summer I was so afraid of them (which was making Mo run out on them) and yesterday we were flying over them like they were nothing.
We plan on doing our first event at intro, but plan on moving to BN right away. Who knows w/ the way things are going we might move to N sooner than later. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Whisper
Mar. 6, 2006, 01:45 PM
Hidden, I wish I could do that! I stopped being able to visualise when I was 11 or 12 years old (unless I've woken up from a dream immediately beforehand).

B Street Tango
Mar. 6, 2006, 04:50 PM
Hey Reynard Ridge, I'd be interested if others are, too.

My greenie with issues is coming along nicely. We had a very nice confidence building clinic weekend before last and yesterday we hit an 18" CT and did pretty well. Dressage was a little shakey as he never quite relaxed and settled but overall our comments were very nice. He's really learning to trust me over fences (a past issue of his) and took the whole course hardly batting an eye at the pickets, panels and bright colored flowers. I'm going to have a professional school him XC for me a couple of times to make sure we have the recipe for success when I'm ready to tackle it together...but all in all he's turning into a really nice, sweet, tolerant horse!

pooh
Mar. 6, 2006, 07:02 PM
Hey I'd be into the PM too if people want to go that route.
Had my lesson tonight - went really well except we a re still having accepting teh bit issues. He gets QH stubborn and I get frustrated so I tense and he fights and world war 3 breaks out with my trainer constantly saying - relax!!!! And reminding me that yes I'm strong but I dont need to over power the horse. We did have soem great moments though at the trot and canter where he was accepting- we just lack the ability to be consistant. And ideas to help get it through my thick skull???

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 7, 2006, 04:21 AM
Ah, we have some interest! Great. We need to wait to start a new PT until after the BB change, so just keep this thread alive and when the change happens (or has it already and I missed it? http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/sigh.gif), I'll start a PT.

Probably the best way to do it is to invite everyone on this thread and then those who do not wish to participate can just drop out.

I have to say, this format has worked rather well on other topics in the past, so could be a lot of fun for us weenies starting out the season!

FlightCheck
Mar. 7, 2006, 04:46 AM
I'd like to join the "weenie with a greenie" clique.

Today I am mailing off the very first amoeba/tadpole entry form for the no-longer-fat-mare and myself.

I vacillate (sp?) between excitement and oh-crap-we-are-not-ready-yet many times each day.

PiedPiper
Mar. 7, 2006, 05:36 AM
Put me in too! My green bean will be doing his first First Timers HT in a month. lol.

Hidden
Mar. 7, 2006, 07:15 AM
I would be in for a PT as well. I'm a weenie with a heart of gold greenie. Of course he can be a pill too. My lesson on this past weekend was a case in point.. not doing anything hard but he wouldn't go straight down the line we had. ARRRGGG!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Lori B
Mar. 7, 2006, 07:27 AM
Yes, please count me in for this excellent PM.

Deltawave, you are so right about putting on some leg; I also strongly suspect that Chance is a bit sore or something; he had been on bute for a couple weeks after having his coffin joints injected, and then a week before our outing Saturday, they stopped the bute. In retrospect, post-bute he has been much pokier, and I think that bears investigation, will check it out tomorrow, ask my trainer (Chance's owner) in my lesson.

I also think I am not fit and strong enough myself to be an effective rider over fences. This week I'm back on the treadmill, hoping to build up my endurance, and I should do more other stuff BESIDES riding to just get more fit generally.

I was just very down on myself after my ride Saturday, because the trend had been so positive in the weeks before the show, and in the show I was just hangin' on to stay on over dinky fences. Not pretty.

Classic Melody
Mar. 7, 2006, 07:32 AM
Maybe this is a newbie question, but why take the conversation to a PM? I am really enjoying reading everyone's comments but don't feel like I have much to add, since I'm a new convert from hunters and won't be attending my first HT until April. I like reading everyone's stories even if I don't post on the thread...

Lori B
Mar. 7, 2006, 07:38 AM
I think a PM is being contemplated because we expect to be sort of updating each other on our progress, but not necessarily adding blazing insights, or even entirely staying on topic. But you would be welcome to join us, of course.

Jleegriffith
Mar. 7, 2006, 07:43 AM
I would love to join also. I will be attempting novice this year and the though of jumping my 4yr 3ft is a bit scary at this point. I am also bringing along a recently ottb who did his first x-rails last night.

Arado
Mar. 7, 2006, 08:22 AM
I too, wouldn't have a lot to contribute but would love to hear of everyones progress and perhaps gain some more insight.

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 7, 2006, 09:14 AM
I think a PM is being contemplated because we expect to be sort of updating each other on our progress, but not necessarily adding blazing insights, or even entirely staying on topic. But you would be welcome to join us, of course.
http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif Not looking to be exclusionary! Just gives us time and space where we can chat to each other, get to know each other personally a little bit better without the danger of thread slipping to page 2 or getting closed.

The Middle Aged Riders have one (of which I am a proud member) which seems to work really well. Everyone gets to read and jumps in and contributes when they feel like it. That's all.

Whisper
Mar. 7, 2006, 10:17 AM
Would you mind having the PM be for "Weenies and Greenies" instead of "with"? That way, those of us who are starting out on packers, and the non-weenies who are introducing their greenies to eventing can join in. We'll all be going to the same levels of events (roughly), and having similar things we're working on. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I'd love to be a part of it, but I can't contribute to the "green" aspect.

ClassicMelody, I think that those of us who are starting up this season should fit in pretty well. We're preparing for the horse trials, and I think that putting the pieces together, whether schooling at home, or at shows for one piece of the puzzle, would still be on-topic. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lori B
Mar. 7, 2006, 10:29 AM
Of course, Whisper. I think that makes a lot of sense. I'm a Weenie on a Packer (occasionally he forgets he's a Packer and reminds me that he is a Horse, and I need to RIDE like I know what I'm doing).

Maybe you folks with greenies who are already pretty comfortable jumping can teach us Weenies some stuff -- I've already gotten useful advice here, certainly.

Whisper
Mar. 7, 2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah, so far, the biggest spook he's given me was scooting off at a canter for three strides when a dog barked/jumped at him, and leg-yielding a stride away when a horse in a paddock next to the ring kicked out at him. The fencing was set up so that neither could actually get at him, but I have to admit it's still a little unnerving. I spooked more than he did, actually.http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Even if he has a horse moment, though, there's no way I can claim he's green! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

bovon
Mar. 7, 2006, 11:42 AM
Sign me on for Greenies and weenies. I'm feeling like both today..ugh..Got a new dressage instructor..she's good but We have still yet to canter during a lesson but I've only had two with her so far. I was told that I need to work on my position first. A couple of neat breakthroughs though when I did get the aids right my horse became round and pretty and forward if only for a brief time. I went to school him over some xctry fences earlier today. I think I overfaced him again, http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/no.gif We may have been schooling some novice type jumps and a couple he had such a hard time with. One fence in particular he refused 6 times and then finally he went over..thank Gawd but I feel like I'm ruining him.. I can be so impatient. My jump instructor said not to worry too much about it since he's a fraidy cat and it's all part of his training. I wasn't jumping any higher than usual it's just those scary looking monsters he thinks live inside some of these xctry jumps. Weenies and Greenies UNITE!!!

onthebit
Mar. 7, 2006, 12:29 PM
Sign me up for the PT as well. I am a h/j that will be wading into eventing land for a number of reasons this year. Horsie and I are both greenies at the whole eventing scene - don't know yet if we are weenies as well. http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

Gunnar
Mar. 7, 2006, 12:40 PM
If onthebit is in I am in!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

BarbB
Mar. 7, 2006, 12:58 PM
sign me up toooo

please http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

spurz3
Mar. 7, 2006, 10:30 PM
I have no idea how the private group or whatever works, but I sure don't want to miss out on how everyone is doing. So count me in too.

Lori B
Mar. 8, 2006, 06:22 AM
Private Topic How To:

1) At the top of each page you will see buttons: 'Go', 'New', 'Find', etc. When there are new posts in a private topic of which you are a member, you will see an additional button at the far right hand end of that group that says, 'New PM', or similar.

2) To view the new posts in the Private Topic, click 'Go' then 'My Space', then 'Private Messaging'. You will then see a list of posts, like the posts here, only these posts are only visible to those who are invited to the topic.

3) Read them, reply as you like, etc. You can also choose to be notified of new private topic posts by e-mail; I think the default setting is that one is notified, unless you turn the notifications off.

Please feel free to ask us other questions, or see the FAQs for more information.

CookiePony
Mar. 8, 2006, 06:27 AM
I'm in!

mosmom
Mar. 8, 2006, 07:09 AM
Count me in too http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 8, 2006, 08:43 AM
ooh can I join--reading these threads has been motivating---it's great to hear people achieving their goals and it makes me want to achieve mine too.

I don't know that I'm a weenie (sometimes)...I actually don't think anyone on this thread is one...but I do have my two greenies (but the 4 year old is out for most of this year) and a QH coverting from western. Just sent in my first entry for novice at Flora Lea....I think I'm going to be sick....3' looks HUGE right now http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif. Her first CT is March 18--we will be fine (repeat until believed).

jkbarablover
Mar. 8, 2006, 09:42 AM
Onthebit, I am in the same situation and would love to join the group.

Gunnar
Mar. 8, 2006, 10:15 AM
Wow we have lots of potential weenies and Greenies. I have ridden for more years than most but I always had a healthy fear! Now I think I have an unhealthy fear. While riding my brain has a hard time controlling my actions. As I see the jumps coming I am busy looking for that ultimate distance!! If that distance is not coming up I tend to do things I shouldn't. Just doing nothing is my biggest problem. In the H/J world I was comfortable at 3'6" and could jump 3'3" with my eyes closed. Now it has been about 2 years since I have been jumping much (Bodie has been and is still hurt for forever and a day!) and certainly not too high!

Now I am jumping 2'3" out on the XC and it looks so big. Those solid jumps are so much bigger than 2'3" stadium jumps. With Bodie I was not too worried about stadium and we even schooled some training jumps XC but he can jump the moon so I feel safe. Rosie on the other had has no jumping experience so I cannot really count on her to save my butt. But so far she is a trooper and seems very willing. I just have to ride like I know I can and we will get there in one piece. I have yet to jump her in a ring or over a pole!! Hopefulle she will respect the poles too! All our jumping and riding is really outside on the XC course. It is fantastic!!!!!!

Yahoo..................

Jude
Mar. 8, 2006, 11:33 AM
Count me in, too!

I started riding just over a year ago. Well, re-riding, anyway. I went from not being able to canter to looking at BN in one year, all because of the most ornery, stubborn, wonderful schoolie in the world. My spouse is doing her first sanctioned event on our horse at UNH this spring at BN, and I'm hoping to join her if UNH offers BN in the fall.

I just had the most amazing jumper show. In Feb, I went into the show full of confidence, but it turned out to be overconfidence, and I screwed up so badly that it really shook me hard (I had never had to scratch a class like that before). So I prepped really well for a month, and RODE my heart out last Sunday, and not only did I ride really well, I moved back up to the 2'3-2'9 division that I'd had to scratch last time! I am totally pumped now, but this time it is real. Now I just have to get my dressage in gear - first CT in a month! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Risk-Averse Rider
Mar. 8, 2006, 11:49 AM
Please include me, too.

onthebit
Mar. 8, 2006, 11:55 AM
Steph, I am having a lot of the same issues you are. Like you I haven't jumped basically at all in the last couple of years, but was showing on the A circuit before that point. Part of my problem (I think) is that I know what I need to do and how things should feel, but my body and my riding reflexes just aren't as fine-tuned as they were. There was a point in my life where I basically knew where my spot was going to be and what subtle adjustments I needed to make almost as soon as I rounded the corner. Not the case now and it makes me get very worked up and nervous! Compound that with the fact that I am riding a horse that is a re-training project (think previously ridden in segunda pelham with studded reins and tack noseband http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif NOT BY ME of course!)

And with our h/j backgrounds we are both so used to hunting the jumps out of that nice rhythm that is so much easier to establish and maintain in the ring vs out on cross country, at least for me. I am not the kind of rider that is really good at the just "let it happen" approach, I tend to think and analyze every stride. There are so many things to work on right now between me and the horse my brain just can't compute all of the stuff fast enough from stride to stride! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

jkbarablover - I guess we can cross over to the dark side together! Personally I like my puke green TS breeches! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif

mosmom
Mar. 8, 2006, 12:09 PM
onthebit I also used to do the Hunters since I was 8 years old now 30. I used to be able to do 4' courses with no problem. I don't know if it's b/c I'm older or if it's the xc jumps but the 2'3" jumps look sooooo scary http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Last summer was my first attempt ever at eventing with my greenie, which was a lot of fun but also frustrating b/c I would be afraid of a little jump that I could walk over. Oh well hopefully this season will be better. Our first show this year will be a CT on 3/26, so I'm hoping everything goes ok.

P.S I like my puke green breeches too! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lori B
Mar. 11, 2006, 09:51 AM
Hey folks. How's the riding? Good stories? Progress? Comical setbacks?

As you may recall, I was really underwhelmed with my riding in last weekend's jumper show, but this week has been better. Last night's group jumping lesson gave me this insight (don't laugh, I'll bet everyone else has already figured this out) -- I CAN ride through those jumps where Chance picks awkward long spots and jumps me a little out of the tack. And the more forward I get him going, the better spots he picks, the smoother he goes, the less that happens. I had started to panic when I approached a fence and thought he was going to jump really long. (all of these are relative -- talking 'bout 2' oxers here) Anyway, it felt really good to work through my heebie jeebies and finish with a competently ridden mini-course of 6 fences. The other thing that keeps me able to focus and not get panicked is counting strides -- it's a miracle to me how much more ready I am for Chance's jump when I do this. Again, you folks who have been jumping since you were wee children, I know this is probably not news.

And all this learning is only possible on my kind steady guy who doesn't stop or run out.

A big shout out to Erin -- the new board is very cool, and it's a herculean job to move all this content so quickly. Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 11, 2006, 11:12 AM
Well, I am slowly climbing up the learning curve. Very slowly. I haven't figured out how to do a PT yet, not to mention that I am still bumbling along, so patience, please as I work it out. (Insert smily here, which someday soon I hope to be able to do).

bovon
Mar. 11, 2006, 11:33 AM
Hey everybody...Lori B..way to go on your jumping progress and counting strides I can completley relate to. Counting strides really helps me zone in and focus too! I took my spooky grey Tb schooling on a x ctry course last week..and yep, he's still spooky but he's getting better. He's a good jumper he just neerds to deal with his add better...I'll take him to HT on 04/01. I know he can do the BN in the ring and do decent on his dressage test, I'm still worried about x ctry, I may just start him at intro again. I just wisah we could be consistent

ReSomething
Mar. 11, 2006, 02:14 PM
:)
If you go to the UserCP link above on the light blue strip. Then go to "Edit options" on the menu to the left. Then scroll to the bottom with the Misc. Options and choose the last option on the drag down menu. Then click the "Save Changes" button below.

Once you do that, when you come back all the little text editing buttons should appear and make it easy to just click it.

Thanks to Janet and Souris in the "Testing" Forum. They didn't mention PT's but I think that they are on the same menu. For the Title bar the advanced reply brings that up.

Now, I am definitely a weenie, and a greenie, courageous I think not but definitely crazy enough to want to play too, if I ever manage to come upon a Noble Steed ahem suitable mount. (Classic dilemna, no time or no money, never both) If this turns into a PT may I keep lurking?:yes:

Whisper
Mar. 11, 2006, 03:04 PM
Lori B, I'm glad you had a good lesson! If the weather holds without any more rain today and tomorrow, and nothing else goes wrong, I'll be doing a Hunter Pace tomorrow. :D The plan is to do pairs without fences, then with 18"-2', then I'll do the jumping course at the same level alone. Since I have the experienced horse, he'll give the two greenies my experienced partner is riding a lead through the water and stuff.

I went ahead and created a test P.T. for everyone who expressed an interest on the thread. :D So, we can give it a try, and start figuring out the new system's way of doing things.

CookiePony
Mar. 11, 2006, 06:39 PM
I have a bad feeling about the PTs. :cry: When I was in the Testing BB forum, this thread :http://praha.planetsg.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=35857
made it seem like we can only send PMs, not make a PT that lots of people can join. :confused: :(

Somebody is suggesting making an "ezboard" instead for people who want to have ongoing PTs.

What I wanted to share is that today we jumped ground poles in our lesson!! :winkgrin: Doesn't get much smaller than that! The worst part-- it was really hard!

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 11, 2006, 07:28 PM
Well we had a BEAUTIFUL day here in PA....gives me hope that green grass of spring is coming soon. Congrats everyone on your great rides. A fellow poster (jleegriffith) and I had a great jumping lesson. Made me feel that perhaps I will not make a total fool of myself next weekend at my mare's first show....she's entered in BN and Novice (considering that I've sent my first entry off for a Novice HT at Flora Lea, I was panicking that I hadn't really gotten her out like I had planned too....time seems to have FLOWN by). I'll run through her dressage tests tomorrow and see how those feel now that I know we CAN actually jump a 3' course in a respectable manner (although I can't seem to see a spot to save my life).....that's a big test for me on how I'm coming along with my green horse. Now we are really more at the fine tuning point instead of the just trying to survive point :D

{I can't count strides very well but I just count...it helps me keep a rythmn and then if I just WAIT for her to jump, it usually works out fine ;)}

pooh
Mar. 11, 2006, 07:47 PM
OHhh counting strides!! For some reason I tend to forget how to count!! I get 1..2 and get so ingrossed as to what I'm doing I forget that 3 comes next. I did figure out through that singing row, row , row your boat - helps me keep a very steady rhythm and gets me to great spots before a jumps.
As for my lessons lately...my QH and I finally made a breakthourgh in our dressage ( he's still not allowed to jump yet) We put the bit up one hole and now I can get nice soft contact through the walk, trot and canter for over 50% of the time, impulsion is still an issue - can we say lazy QH!
As for jumping- we had to get pictures of the TB mare that I've been schooling that is for sale -- course I really haven't jumped more than 2-3 jumps of about 2 ft since last July, so my trainer set up a little gymnastic - we started with trotting poles, to cavelleti and then to small oxer. Pretty much I just kept going around and around and every 2-3 times around she raises it up. By the time we were done we were up to 2'9"!! I was excited and exhausted, the other adults who were watching were amazed and admitted they would never jump that high! I got jumped loose a few times ( course I never really jumped that high either) but stayed on!! I just can't wait until my guy is allowed to jump!!
Other good news is the girl who owns the TB mare, came out for a ride today and she was amazed at the difference of her horse- nice and soft, controlled. She jumped her and the horse was great , no rushing, etc. So they were very pleased - made me feel good as she is my first true "training " project besides my horse.

BelleBoyd
Mar. 11, 2006, 10:28 PM
I skipped a couple of pages catching up on this thread, so did y'all start a PM? I would like to be invited, please. I have been out of riding for 5 years and horseless, too, so I am striving just to get back to it. I am 44 and I am terrified if I don't get back soon, I'll be sitting in my rocking chair thinking back to when I was a young whipper snapper! Reading this thread, I totally understand and commisserate with everyone. I remember being in the start box and wondering why I was putting myself through this. But after the first jump, I always remembered - what a rush! I only got to Novice, but I started green with a green horse and just getting through that first year deserved an Olympic Gold Medal!

Anyway, I'd like to join the clique and the PM.

Jude
Mar. 11, 2006, 10:39 PM
Can we just do a subscribed thread? Then we get notified when someone has posted. At least, I think that's how that works. So this thread could fall way down, but we'd all still see it in our subscribed list to remind us to post.

Big news - I rode a new horse yesterday that I had never met before, and it was thrilling! I mean, I ride a few of my trainer's horses, but mostly schoolies who even though they are OTTBs and/or have spunk, they are also relatively predictable. This horse has some go, and was giving little spooks (but not a mean bone in her body, just *very* alert), and I rode her with confidence! With CONFIDENCE! It was awesome - I never could have done that a year ago. It really made me happy to know that I haven't just come a long way on my tried-and-true babysitter schoolie (who I adore and love and is the bestest schoolie ever), but that I can ride a horse that isn't push-button! I am so psyched now that maybe I really am getting this whole riding thing down. :D

Perfect Pony
Mar. 11, 2006, 11:22 PM
Well I guess I will chime in. I am finally sending little miss Lita to a proper barn in April. I had no options a couple weeks ago and as of this week I have about 4. But, the dear husband told me I could move my filly permanently if I found a program less than $1000 a month, and then the woman I have been taking lessons with called me this morning and said they now have an opening.

OK, maybe not such a big deal. But I've been getting by at my backyard barn with my 3 year old and not getting where I want to go. Now it looks like with some luck I might get her to BN and the baby jumpers this year!

Whisper, I can't for the life of me figure out the new PM format...

bovon
Mar. 13, 2006, 02:58 PM
Just checking in after reading about everyone's trials, tribulations and congratulations. It's so nice to read about everyone's progress! !I'm currently beating myself up. MY greenie with trust issues had been doing well. So late last week I schooled him on a cross country cross over some Novice fences.. I hate to admit but on a couple of those fences we had like 5 or so refusals. He did jump them because he's got a heart of gold, but I really overfaced him so today during my lesson on a small xctry course he was stopping at really small stuff..and it's all my fault for overfacing him out there last week. Thank goodness he's still angel in the ring with stadium type jumps but NOW BECAUSE OF MY DAMN IMPATIENCE AND AMBITION, we have to drop back a bit so he can trust me again. Please don't be a stupido like me, take your time with your greenies with issues. Looks like I'm learning the hard way. I hope I haven't ruined him. Please tell me I'm not the only idiot with poor horsey judgement

B Street Tango
Mar. 13, 2006, 07:12 PM
Bovon, I promised you haven't ruined him!! It's really hard not to get excited and ask a little too much, sometimes. It's also really hard to tell what's asking enough vs. too much. It shouldn't take nearly as long to regain that trust, just drop back down like you did and stay there a little longer. I bet he turns around quickly and discovers he really could have done it all along...he just didn't believe in himself...or you, quite enough.

I'm struggling with some similar issues with my greenie with trust issues. He's just really started to blossom the last month or so. I think I mentioned earlier, we just completed our first 18" Combined Training show and took fourth because he jumped around that course like he knew what flowers/gates/panels, etc. were all about! Now, I'm looking at another CT at the end of the month and trying to decide if I bump us up to the 2' class or stick with the 18". We have a lesson scheduled this Sunday and I'm hoping that will help me finalize my decision (of course, I may end up on the waiting list for procrastinating so long!) We still have yet to tackle any XC schooling. I'll have professional take him the first few times to make sure he gets the ride he needs but I'm hoping (and crossing all body parts) he'll be ready for a horse trial by early May. I just have to remember to not let MY goals get in the way of HIS progress.

Jude
Mar. 13, 2006, 08:10 PM
All of y'all in NoVA - THANK YOU for providing such awesome weather today! I didn't get to spend it on horseback (going riding down here later this week), but boy did I wish I was out there. NH is having good weather too, but it sure isn't breaking 80 up there!

I know what you mean about pushing too hard - we are just breaking our filly, and she's so good at learning new things, it is hard not to just go for more. She'd handle it...now. But if she ever decided she'd had enough, there would be no stopping her wrath. Gotta love Arabs! After only one or two sessions, she is already responding confidently to leg aids only (no voice), and starting to steer off the bit. There's a long way yet to go, but ALLLLLLL that ground work is paying off!

Hidden
Mar. 14, 2006, 09:39 AM
We had a rotten jumping lesson this past weekend. He was rushing, rushing , rushing. And weenie little jumps too. He was great at trot in, canter out (once we put a pole out so he didn't always take the longest spot), but canter the line? Whew, 3 strides away he just ran at it. DANG! I did buy the John Lyons video on leading/loading from ebay so on this beautiful Sunday that is what we worked on. Took me almost as long to hookup/unhook and move the trailer as it did to work with him. Actually he was a star on this. He went right on several time and hung out. I will work again on Saturday with this - hopefully he will be so comfortable that I can do up the butt bar as well. This will pay off on Sunday when we are off to a schooling dressage show. I'm trying to do Training 1/2. I would do the intro tests, but his walk is not so great. His trot (when he is awake that is) is very nice so I'm going for training levels. Wish us luck - my first show by myself. No helpers, no show mom, loading the trailer up and off we go to show. (that is why I'm doing just the dressage vs the CT part - didn't want to confuse myself with nerves over the jumping when I have all the trailering nerves to get to me - hee hee).

pooh
Mar. 14, 2006, 12:00 PM
OK, I set a group up for us over on yahoo.
courageousweenieeventers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

That is the link to sign up, this way we have 2 options, the COTH pages and yahoo. I did e-mail the mods who said that would be the only option as I think the PM sysytem wont' work for a PT. I'm on the other site as ponyice1

Janet
Mar. 14, 2006, 12:07 PM
Does everyone know what "pushing the envelope" means? Or is it just a motor racing term?

Assuming you know, with a greenie, part of the trick to sucess is knowing when to "push the envelope", and how much. If you NEVER push the envelope, it is difficult to make progress. If you push it too far, you will overface yourself and the horse, and have to step back a bit. The trick is to push it far enough to find out where "the edge" is, without going over the edge.

But, inevitably, you will soemetimes go "over the edge". Then the trick is to recognize it promptly, and backtrack to the "safe zone", rather than continuing to push it when you have alreaady gone too far.

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 14, 2006, 12:09 PM
So glad that there are people on top of this - I continue to be confused by the new board, but it seems that the way we set up group PTs doesn't work any more. I think the yahoo group is the way to go. And will try to get over there to sign in.

mosmom
Mar. 14, 2006, 02:08 PM
Anyone going to school at Olde Hope this weekend?

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 14, 2006, 02:34 PM
Anyone going to school at Olde Hope this weekend?

I'm hoping too!

Hey it's lonely over on the Yahoo list--come on over you guys!!

Debbie
Mar. 14, 2006, 02:56 PM
I couldn't find the yahoo list. :no: The link above opened an email and I went and searched on Yahoo Groups and didn't find it. Help?!?

bornfreenowexpensive
Mar. 14, 2006, 03:05 PM
I couldn't find the yahoo list. :no: The link above opened an email and I went and searched on Yahoo Groups and didn't find it. Help?!?

all you do is type in a message in the e-mail that you want to join and who you are (i.e. Debbie from COTH) and send it. You will get back a response from the mod. inviting you to join--just follow the steps in that email.

Good luck!

Perfect Pony
Mar. 14, 2006, 03:19 PM
I'm thinking that COTH went to this new format to get rid of all the huge PTs personally.

So it's official, my little Lita is off to a training barn April 1st. It's right around the corner from where she is right now, just 8 miles from my house and exactly 1/2 way in between work and home, so it's a perfect location.

The trainer is only 21 or 22 years old but took her own horse through intermediate and to young riders, and her step mom who also trains on the property is one of the better dressage riders and trainers in the area and trains with Mary Wanless. They also train and do clinics with one of the local H/J trainers that I really like a lot, so it seems like a good all around fit.

I am so anxious to start making some progress again. I have only ridden Lita a handful of times this year because of the weather - and now I'll have an indoor and a trainer riding her 3-5 times a week!!!

Debbie
Mar. 14, 2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks BornFreeNowExpensive. Makes perfect sense... doh! :D

Lori B
Mar. 14, 2006, 06:47 PM
I'll be doing a Pipe Opener at Full Moon Farm Saturday, going elementary. I loved Olde Hope's course last fall, but it is very far from where I ride, so I don't know if we'll go again this year. But it's a well-run show, I think. Except for the crazy loudspeakers playing scratchy german ooom-pah music. (Oktoberfest)

And yes, will sign up on Yahoo Groups, when I get home from work.

Jude
Mar. 15, 2006, 02:13 PM
Anyone here doing UNH? My spouse just sent in her entry - both her and Jude's first sanctioned event! Not bad for a 20-yo OTTB (that's Jude, not my spouse ;)).

I am so horse deprived right now. Fortunately, I'll get to ride tomorrow. I never realized how much a part of my daily life the horses are, even though I only get out to see them a few times each week. This is one of the few times I've ever gone away without my spouse, and I miss getting to talk about them and see them and stuff. :( Oh well, I get to go for a trail ride out in western MD tomorrow - let's hope the weather holds out!

pooh
Mar. 15, 2006, 07:54 PM
No fair!! I was so hoping to do the pipe opened at Full Moon- but no jumping allowed yet!!! And my trainer is one of the trainers down at Weave a Dream so I was hoping to do something there! Darn quarter crack!

Lori B
Mar. 15, 2006, 11:16 PM
I wonder if there is a way to jingle for hooves? Your guy's feet will grow out, just not as fast as you'd like. Hang in there.

Weave a Dream is a really pretty XC course.

Whisper
Mar. 16, 2006, 02:06 AM
It only allows people to reply to the originator, and the messages are viewed one at a time, just like e-mail, rather than creating a new topic thread that everyone on the list can see and respond to.

I hope people join us on the Yahoo group that Pooh created, though!

I had a couple of good jumping lessons, and am planning to school cross-country on Sunday. Unfortunately, the Hunter Pace was rained out, so I couldn't go last weekend.

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 16, 2006, 06:56 AM
Hey, Janet, an addendum on your comment on 'pushing the envelope' and this is just an interesting historical FYI. The term originated in the Air Force (see below). What makes it so interesting is that for those test pilots whose job description was literally "pushing the evelope" it was life or death. Amazing out these terms get assimilated into out daily lives. :yes:

Meaning: To approach or exceed known performance boundaries.
Example: Your performance at work is not exactly pushing the envelope.
Origin: This expression comes out of the US Air Force test pilot program of the late 1940's.
The envelope refers to a plane's performance capabilities. The limits of the planes ability to fly at speeds and altitudes and under certain stresses define what is known as its performance envelope. It's an "envelope" in the sense that it contains the ranges of the plane's abilities. "Pushing the envelope" originally meant flying an aircraft at, or even beyond, its known or recommended limits.

Classic Melody
Mar. 16, 2006, 09:02 AM
Well, I have an update from this newbie to eventing! I have a greenie OTTB that I bought in December. We're going to our first event (BNH) in April. On Saturday, we're leaving for a week long trip to Aiken, where we get to school our little hearts out on XC so we're nice and prepped for our first competition! I'm so excited!

I'm so excited, that in fact I started riding in boots and breeches over the last week or so to get used to the idea again. I haven't competed in three years, and that was in hunters. I have one pair of breeches: fancy-pants Tailored Sportsmans (I figured if I was going to only have one, might as well have one nice pair!). So I kind of knew I was tempting fate when I put them on.

Sunny, my dear OTTB, hadn't been turned out in 5 days due to severe storms, and I hadn't been able to ride in three days. We looked grand until he bucked me off about 10 minutes into our ride. It was a spectacular buck, too - I was launched out of the saddle, came down on his neck, flipped over and hit the dirt with my upper back and head. I didn't black out, but I do think I had a mild concussion. I was having trouble remember things like where I put his blanket and what day of the week it was!

I did get back on, but I was so sore and my head was out to lunch that I didn't push it. And I must be getting older (haven't had a REALLY good tumble in a few years) because I HURT! Ack! My whole back is in a world of pain right now, but luckily my headache seems to be gone.

I won't be able to ride again until we get to Aiken at least, but I'm still going! And taking my Excedrin with me. ;)

Catalina
Mar. 16, 2006, 10:42 AM
Total weenie checking in.

I am going to my first ever BN event at Redlands and I am already shaking in my boots. Before my son was born I had no problem doing the 3'6" - 3'9" jumpers on my retired Tb, but the thought of doing 2'6" on my greenie is :eek: :eek: :eek:.

I get really frustrated at myself because it has only been a few years since the jumps looked easy; now, 3' looks like a mountain. It is not like my horse can't do it- he is super talanted and a fabulous jumper, he just has a weenie monkey on his back. My trainer got frustrated with me the other day when I was cringing about doing Novice later in the year and she told me that my horse could do prelim if she rode him. Ummmm, okay?

I am so glad that I am not alone in my weenieness :D .

spurz3
Mar. 18, 2006, 10:56 PM
Ouch Classic Melody. Glad to hear you're okay. The bad storms had my horses acting like broncs too. We had a really bad tornado hit within a mile from our house. We could actually hear the "buzzing" (for lack of a better word) it made when it went by. Really odd sound.

I just sent my e-mail to the group, so waiting to be invited there. I'm guessing you all are there? Is this thread not going to be used at all then? I kind of liked reading them this way. But whatever works best is fine with me.

Gunnar
Mar. 20, 2006, 02:01 PM
Hey Classic Melody, glad to hear you are OK! I am not a fan of the unvoluntary dismount myself!

I think we need stories here and on Yahoo! Want to keep lurkers in the loop!

I have no stories as I have 2 lame horses! :sadsmile: My new horse has come up sore and we are perplexed! She was most likely bitten and or kicked in the upper shoulder area! Guess I could use some jingles! :sadsmile:

Hope the weekend was good for all!:cool:

Lori B
Mar. 20, 2006, 02:19 PM
It was pretty comical. Nearly a dozen horses and almost as many riders from Waters Edge went to the Pipe Opener at Full Moon Farm yesterday. It was very cold for March -- 35 or so when we loaded the trailers -- and very windy, like 25mph gusts. Which does not exactly improve equine behavior, IME.

My guy, Chance, was pretty nervous & spooky. He was less herd bound than when we went XC schooling, but still was spooking at stupid stuff in the warm up ring: a large beige rock in the corner of the ring, the signs for the different show areas, a guy in a cowboy hat walking down a hill... and I was nervous and stressed, and was having equipment issues - hate hate hate my XC vest, a Charles Owen, which is too long in back and generally feels like I'm wearing a turtle shell. The long back piece pushes me out of position. (going to buy a Tipperary at the earliest budgetable moment) So I was totally tense and not much help to poor Chance.

We got coached through the Elementary course by a trainer from my farm (god bless her). He was fine for 5 fences. Then he really didn't want to walk into the water obstacle, but I managed to talk him into it (good boy!), and we jumped up the baby bank on the far side. Hooray! The next thing I know, though, he sees a horse in an adjoining paddock rolling on its
back and pawing. Since this sight is completely unprecedented in the previous 10 years of Chance's equine existence :eek:, he
instantly drops a shoulder and spins around to escape from the horror. All I know is, one second I'm trying to figure out where the next fence is, and the next I'm on my back wondering 'what the fruitBAT!' :confused: Leslie helped me remount, and we finished the course without further incident, but it was pretty comical. He just was so not paying any attention to me or the
course -- Chance couldn't figure out whether he should be WATCHING the terrifying rolling horse, or running away from
it, or maybe both.

After we got done, I walked and trotted him around the grounds for a while, trying to work him through his silliness, and
that went fine, except when he was whinnying pathetically to his buddies back in the trailer, who heard him and answered.
But I am remarkably un-sore from getting dumped (fall #5 since October, if you're counting...).

I do love him, even though he was a butthead yesterday. (God this is long) Any advice about imparting courage and confidence to horses that are spooky off their home turf? We did go to an XC school 3 weeks ago, and I will try to find other
opportunities to establish that I'm not taking him out to get eaten. But how do I handle it when it is happening?

Gunnar -- still no improvement for Rosie? Jingling for her big time. :-(

Whisper
Mar. 20, 2006, 08:33 PM
Classic Melody, I'm sorry to hear you got bucked off! I hope you're feeling better. If you might have had a concussion, you should probably go to the doctor to get checked out. Have fun and be safe with your CC schooling!

Catalina, the CC jumps look a lot bigger than the stadium style ones. Just because your trainer can get your horse around at a higher level, and he has the athleticism and scope to handle the big jumps, doesn't mean you're ready to jump straight into it. As you get some milage under your belt, you probably *will* be ready to do Novice later in the year, or next season. I know the horse I'm riding can do Novice, or more, and my instructor's working student will probably take him to a couple of horse trials at that level. I'm starting out doing H/J schooling shows and cross-country schooling (already), and plan to do a hunter pace and maybe a dressage show before our first 1-day horse trial at Elementary. As you get more confident and become a better team with him, I'm sure you'll be ready to do more.

Lori, I'm glad you weren't injured in your fall! I've had four in the last few months myself, only at the H/J place I ride. Hopefully we've used up all our falls for this year! :lol: I was able to borrow a Tipperary vest yesterday. It fit perfectly, and was very comfortable! I hope you can afford your new one soon.

onthebit
Mar. 20, 2006, 09:13 PM
as well but for those that haven't made it there yet:

I tried a 3-ring snaffle on my retraining project and it was like riding a new horse. Our first attempt at jumping in the french-link loose ring that I've been doing all of my riding in on him was approaching a disaster and after a two year hiatus from jumping that didn't exactly pump me up with confidence.

So, fast-forward to this weekend. I hacked once in the 3-ring and just did a bunch of poles at trot & canter and could really feel the difference. I had a half-halt!

On Saturday I did a jump school in the 3-ring and I REALLY feel better about life now. Things definitely weren't perfect but I could see that I HAD made progress with him and we might be getting somewhere. I set up a simple trot-in gymnastic starting with 3 trot poles to an 18" vertical, one stride to a 2'3" vertical and one stride to a 2'6" oxer. I did just the vertical for two passes,
then right on to adding the next vertical for two passes, and then two passes with all 3 elements. He stayed really soft through the gymnastic and although he tried to get heavy and leany after, we could regroup after a few strides - instead of 2/3 of the way around the ring. And the best part was I actually felt comfortable with my position and like I kinda sorta still remembered how to jump. I am proud of my school over my little jumps! So, not bad for the second attempt at jumping in two years for both horse & rider. Hubby was kind enough to be my jump crew for me too!

Now I am going to surf the 'net to find out the layout for the letters in the dressage arena and download the Beginner Novice Test A. One of my best friends is an awesome dressage rider and I did confirm that I knew how to salute properly with her this weekend! I think my puke green TS breeches and hunt jacket should win me sympathy points from the dressage judge at my first schooling show, I will be a glaringly obvious h/j convert. :)

mosmom
Mar. 21, 2006, 04:24 PM
I am soooo excited. On Saturday we went to Olde Hope for xc schooling and had a blast. Mo was so good. Some of the jumps were a little intimidating but we did it. Once we got over them I was like that wasn't so bad. We even did banks which I never did before, and again Mo had no problems. I'm so glad things went so well b/c it really boosted my confidence.:)

Lori B
Mar. 21, 2006, 05:23 PM
Mosmom, great to hear it! Any pics? That's a lovely farm and a lovely course. What level did you school? They had it so nicely groomed for the competition I went to last fall.

mosmom
Mar. 22, 2006, 08:04 AM
We mainly did intro but also did some BN and a couple Novice. Here are some pics of our day.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/ksox/OldeHopeschooling3-06020.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/ksox/OldeHopeschooling3-06005.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/ksox/OldeHopeschooling3-06008.jpg

B Street Tango
Mar. 22, 2006, 08:11 AM
Congrats on a great schooling momsmom! The pictures look really good and like you had a nice day for it.

B Street Tango
Mar. 22, 2006, 08:18 AM
My trainer got frustrated with me the other day when I was cringing about doing Novice later in the year and she told me that my horse could do prelim if she rode him. Ummmm, okay?

I really hate when people start trying to move you up (even if only in your mind!) before you're comfortable with the level you're currently competing. Luckily, my trainers only push just enough while schooling, they both know I'm staying at BN until I'm BORED! It seems like it's been such a long hard road to get here, I'm going to enjoy it for a while! (Schooling a few N fences is one thing but completely moving up is whole 'nother)

mosmom
Mar. 22, 2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks B Street Tango. It was a great day and the best part was not many people came so we pretty much had the whole place to ourselves.

Whisper
Mar. 22, 2006, 11:45 AM
Mosmom, I love the pictures, especially the "wishing well" one. I did my first banks on Sunday, too, and they do take some getting used to! I'm glad everything went so well for you. :D The CC course where I schooled had only one other group going out, too, so it was nice and calm.

Tango, I was really happy about the way my instructor went about it. She started us on super tiny, easy stuff and made it gradually more difficult, so neither I nor the greenie horses that were along with us got overfaced. I don't know that I'll *ever* get bored at B.N., but I'm not in any hurry to move up, either. The horse can definitely do much higher fences with other people, but that just means he has the scope and experience to compensate for my being so new!

Catalina, I hope you can relax and enjoy the beginnings of it, and maybe bring up to the trainer that you know your horse is very capable, but that you need to take things more slowly? Maybe it would be a good idea if she *does* take him to a couple of horse trials at a slightly higher level, so he isn't green to the stuff you're doing, and he has more confidence?

Catalina
Mar. 22, 2006, 02:28 PM
I really hate when people start trying to move you up (even if only in your mind!) before you're comfortable with the level you're currently competing. Luckily, my trainers only push just enough while schooling, they both know I'm staying at BN until I'm BORED! It seems like it's been such a long hard road to get here, I'm going to enjoy it for a while! (Schooling a few N fences is one thing but completely moving up is whole 'nother)
Luckily, my trainer is understanding about my wimpiness and doesn't push too much. I just get so annoyed with myself because a couple of years ago I had no problem flying around a 3'9" - 4' jumper course. Now the thought makes me :eek: :eek: :eek:.

We are going schooling on Saturday at FPP, so hopefully that will help. Maybe I will see if my trainer will jump him around a little. Don't get me wrong, my trainer is AWESOME and Ty and I have come a long way in the short time we have been working with her. It's just that Ty has progressed much faster than his rider that sometimes I feel like I am holding him back ....:sadsmile:.

CarrieK
Mar. 23, 2006, 04:26 AM
I'm having trouble getting on the yahoo group. I'm not online at home and use computers at my jobs and at the library, so when I click on it a message flashes that there is no email connection (I'm paraphrasing). He'p!

Whisper
Mar. 23, 2006, 02:59 PM
Instead of clicking the link, you can just copy and paste courageousweenieeventers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com into the "to" field of an e-mail from your Yahoo account. Then, just ask to be added, and put your COTH name in the message part. :D

CarrieK
Mar. 23, 2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks!!

mosmom
Mar. 24, 2006, 02:10 PM
Anyone have any show plans this weekend? I'll be at the Tailwinds CT on Sunday...anyone else going?

Lori B
Mar. 24, 2006, 09:38 PM
My farm is having their last in-house jumper show of the winter, and it's going to be in the big outside ring. Hallelujah. I'm going X-rails & 2'. :-)

I've had a butt-kicking work week and a nasty cold, and didn't ride this week until tonight. You know how sometimes you really need a nice happy confidence building ride? Well, Chance just so delivered. We had a nice ride, and cantered a 2' oxer at the end, very nice and smooth. I just have to trust that his jumps are smoother and spots are better the more forward I keep him. He's not a speed demon, but I'm a speed chicken:eek:. Anyway, I hope that tomorrow goes well.

sophie
Mar. 24, 2006, 09:46 PM
I'm even worse than you guys, I just don't feel the NEED to compete anymore. I used to show in the 4' jumpers when I was in my 20ies, along with 1st level dressage. I also competed at Novice level Horse Trials.
Now I am more into Hunter Paces and Xcountry schooling and lessons and dressage clinics than really competing.
I enjoy bringing along green Ottbs. What can I say. LOL.
I still enjoy these forums and the wealth of info!

Jude
Mar. 27, 2006, 03:42 PM
I had the most amazing trail ride yesterday - and had my very first real gallop! I was on the schoolie I usually ride, and we got to the base of a fabulous hill on a field, and the Arab we were with took off up the hill. I stood up, closed my leg, and we were OFF! It was so amazing. I know the first time I gallop my OTTB will be much faster, but it was fun to feel her sink down into the stretched out four beat gait. I was even able to rate her at the bottom, and then get her back up to speed. Now I just have to throw in jumps, and I'll be ready to xc! :D

Catalina
Mar. 28, 2006, 08:46 AM
I went X-country schooling Sunday with a friend and our trainer and my horse was fabulous. He jumped everything (all the little stuff, that is), went in the water and jumped out and had a grand ol' time.

And, I finally got up the courage to drive my truck and trailer :D. (I have had a totally irrational fear of driving it for a while and so I had to get either Mr catalina or horse friends to drive it- crazy, I know).

Lori B
Mar. 28, 2006, 09:12 AM
Jude -- isn't it exciting to find out your horse has a fifth gear? My guy is not a speed demon, but the first time I told him to let 'er rip out in the big field, it was so exciting. He has a not terribly big but quite smooth canter, so it was very different than the big canter the OTTB I used to ride had.

Also, hooray for your good XC schooling experience, Catalina. I'm hoping for a less herd-bound XC ride soon. ;-)

My farm's in-house jumper show was Saturday, and it was my best ever jumping ride on Chance. We did 2 x-rail classes and then did the 2', and it went really well -- he was nice and smooth and forward, and I felt in balance and in control -- no near misses! I was soo thrilled, and we got a 2nd and a 4th in the classes to boot. It was the kind of ride I've been working towards all winter, and I'm so psyched. :D

Jude
Mar. 28, 2006, 03:32 PM
LoriB, sounds like a great ride! I had one of those in early March - it was so positive that I've confidently put jumper training on hold in order to focus on dressage for the upcoming 2-phase.

And very jealous congrats to everyone on the xc schools. Someday, someday the ground will be solid here... I shouldn't complain too much, it has been a far-too dry spring, and they are now calling for severe hurricanes in NE this summer. :eek: I'm going to as many shows as I can before those set in!

Fifth gear, *sigh*. Bliss. I can't get over the totally calm, quiet, still feeling of floating above this pulsing beastie. And I thought I'd be scared, but I was having too much fun to be scared! (Of course, I knew the schoolie would stop. Jude, I'm not as sure about! ;))

mosmom
Mar. 28, 2006, 03:39 PM
Sunday was a great day. We were at the Tailwinds CT and got 1st in Dressage and 2nd overall. We were in the Baby Novice division and scored a 31% in Dressage. We had 2 refusals in the stadium jumping which is what put us in 2nd, but other than that it was a great day. After we were done I got to school the Novice jumps and didn't know it but one jump was set up wrong and it was actually 3'3". I haven't jumped that high in over 15 years and Mo never jumped that high. But likely he didn't have any problem with it.:)

bovon
Mar. 28, 2006, 03:46 PM
Congrats Mosmom...how awesome for you and your horse...feels good doesn't it?!

Lori B
Mar. 28, 2006, 03:47 PM
Chance so dislikes arena flatwork, he makes me work about 20 times as hard to get a nice forward trot on a pretty circle as I have to work to ask him to jump a whole course of 2' fences.

His latest flatwork trick is to try to break into a canter when I ask for a more forward trot. Repeatedly. He looks like he's skipping. "Would you like a canter here?" "Or how about here?" Meanwhile, he is eyeing the jumps in the middle of the ring, thinking, 'geez, those look like a lot more fun than this crappy bending around the circle stuff.'

My trainer says that at my level, an accurate test matters a lot more than getting him really round, which is a good thing, because Chance doesn't much like the bit.

mosmom
Mar. 28, 2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks! It feels real good. Here's a picture of us during our Dressage test.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/ksox/3-26-06TailWindsC.jpg

Janet
Apr. 1, 2006, 11:59 PM
Those of you in the Northern Virginia area have an opportunity to significantly improve your show jumping technique. And it will carry over to cross countyr too.

There are still openings at the Ernest Dillon show jumping clinic (in Nokesville, VA) on April 8,9,10.

Each day is independant, so you can do one day or all three. On each day, you can chose from a long group (4- 6 people for 90 minutes), or a shorter (45 minute) semi-private or private.

Prices range from $110 to $165. Auditing is free.

Ernest focuses on perfecting the ride between the jumps, so that the jumps themselves become easy for both horse and rider. He is very correct, with a supportive, encouraging manner. He can help you solve your (and your horses) problems, and he can help you move up to the next level of ability.

In particular there are openings in groups at all heights on all three days. There is also an opening for a semi private at 2'6" to 3' on Saturday or Monday, and a possible opening for a semi-private at 3'3" to 3'6"+ on Saturday or Sunday

To meet the needs of those who are not quite ready for a jumping clinic, we have added a pre-jumping/ground-pole session on Sunday. Since "what happens between the fences" is so important in successful jumping, you can and should work on that before you start jumping. If your horse has the right rhythm, balance and pace, it will easily add in the jumps.

Ernest will help you determine when your horse is ready to start jumping, and will give you exercises that will make it easier to introduce fences.

For the pre-jumping session, the clinic price is reduced, and the late fee is waived.

Clinic scheduling will be finalized Wednesday evening, so please let us know before then if you are interested in the pre-jumping session, or any of the openings in the jumping sessions. Please email jgunn@ix.netcom.com or phone Janet Gunn at 703 594 3139 (home) or 703 818 4725 (work)

You can find the entry form on
http://www.cdcta.com/calendar.php

CookiePony
Apr. 2, 2006, 05:59 PM
Janet, these announcements about the clinic that you keep posting are making me jealous of the folks in VA. It sounds like it will be wonderful. The fact that I have a good trainer helping me with my horse takes the sting out, but only a little.:winkgrin:

Yesterday we did our homework, assigned by my trainer for us to do while she was at FENCE. My horse has a tendency to resolve jumping challenges by powering ahead and launching at the fences. We did this gymnastic both ways: a rail, 9' to a crossrail, 9' to a rail, and 9' to another rail. He is forced to pick up his feet and consider where he puts them. The trick to success is to approach in a trot that is just forward enough to be a trot and without shortening his neck too much. Then he has time to look before he leaps.

I finally figured out as I did my homework that my upper body made a real impact on the outcome of the exercise. This might sound obvious, but it is frustrating how sometimes those very obvious things get forgotten in the saddle. He finally trotted quietly over the placing rail(s), the crossrail, and the following rail(s) both ways with reasonable jumping efforts! But I can tell we need way more practice at this sort of thing.:sigh:

Any other courageous weenies with greenies have rockets for horses?
(there was a Non Sequitur comic strip about this once, I remember!:lol:)

Janet
Apr. 2, 2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks,

This is what nycjumper said over on the h/j board.

Personally - I found that the way he teaches incredibly effective. He asks you to do something & then leaves it up to you on how to do it. If you can't - he'll give you suggestions but his emphasis on the rider truly learning themselves as opposed to just doing what they are told to do.

He is a very interactive clinician & there is a lot of back & forth. Why did that work? What were you trying to accomplish? If you didn't get it right - what about doing this?

He's also incredibly funny & very positive. Even when something goes wrong (for example - me taking a flyer so long that I should have gotten bonus frequent flyer miles :D), he didn't yell. His response "Well, that wasn't quite as ugly as it looked - at least you stayed with him. Why did it happen? How can you avoid it next time?" No yelling, no disparaging - just a "let's do it better" attitude.

His is the the type of clinic that you walk away from feeling envigorated & inspired - not the one where you walk away feeling incompetent. I have a whole list of things to work on when he's gone and can't wait to start. He focuses on the basics which is really what matters when you think about it.

I'm sure Seven will post a full clinic report later but like I said - if any of you can go, DO IT!!

Perfect Pony
Apr. 3, 2006, 12:26 AM
Any other courageous weenies with greenies have rockets for horses?

I'm a non-courageous weenie on a greenie and have the opposite of a rocket - one that doesn't want to move forward and is now learning evasion techniques....that is, how to go UP. Right now I could deal with forward. My filly is at the point where she doesn't want to work and leg/seat just makes her feel like she'll explode either bucking or rearing.

Everything has been checked (teeth, back, feet, you name it), the last thing is getting a new saddle (I am shopping now). I know the saddle isn't perfect but this is IMO beyond that. It's frusterating though, she was a joy to ride as a 3 year old, and downright scarey to be on now as a 4 year old.

Hopefully a better saddle will help, but I can't imagine a saddle she wore daily for months could fit so badly after a few months that it would cause all this.

I'm afraid at this rate we wont even get to elementary this year.

Jude
Apr. 3, 2006, 10:38 PM
Well, we make our Beginner Novice debut on Sunday! It is just a two-phase, so the real BN debut is yet to come, but it is our first real show at this height and with cantering in the dressage test.

Had a funny schooling on Sunday: I took out Lucy, the best schoolie in the world who I will event this summer, so that we could practice dressage without my trainer there. I never get to ride outside lessons, and wanted to make sure we could get results without my trainer correcting me. The indoor was set up from a ride-review-ride on Saturday, so the little white chains were marking the ends of the dressage arena, but pulled back from the wall so people could use the track. We warmed up walk and trot on the buckle, and she was forward and in a good working mood. Then I asked her to go round. And she did.

Now, this is 20-year-old Irish Draught schoolie who only goes round with a LOT of, ahem, encouragement. I got her round for two sequential 20m circles at my last lesson and we all cheered. I intended this schooling to be an hour of just getting to round and keeping her there, and maybe even getting to ride the test once.

So here it is, five minutes into working, and she going along gorgeous as can be. And I'm up there thinking, "Well, NOW what do I do?" :lol:

We worked well, rode the test several times, worked on corners and the turn onto the centerline, and had a good ride. Most of it was with her going round, though we had a Discussion that came very close to an Argument about giving to the bit at the walk. I'm feeling pretty confident about Sunday.

The funniest part: I talked to my trainer after the ride, and told her what happened. She looked stunned, then said, "Wait, the chains are still up, right? She thinks it's a show - she's on show behavior!" Hey, I'll take it!!

Libish
Apr. 4, 2006, 10:10 AM
Little update for me (I changed my name from ekeer to my nickname:Libish): Mirror and I completed Holly Hill BN Sr. Rider this past weekend. We finished on our dressage score and were in the ribbons. Wow. Stadium was a mess (for me) and I came off her during warmup (way off balance over the oxer and landed up her neck and off I went). I was just paralysed with nerves. Sigh. But, my coach got me back on, we went in there, she did her thing, I managed to stay on and we went clean. :) Funny though, XC was fine. I didn't have nearly the nerves or the issues with my heels coming up out there. XC was downright fun! Can we just do dressage and XC? :) It's all one big learning curve. :) All in all a nice weekend and my little mare was my hero!

eventamy
Apr. 4, 2006, 10:33 AM
Hi Guys!
I totally consider myself a weenie eventer! I am a reformed HJ rider who is now hooked on the dark side! I grew up in an area without eventing, I only knew what my trainer taught me. As I went to college etc, I started to find out more about other seats etc and discovered eventing! It wasn't until I moved to New Hampshire that I was able to try riding with different trainers etc and I'm so in love! I also discovered Foxhunting!!! Whoo Hooo!!!
I used to be a very courageous, balls to the wall type of rider. My whole philosophy was based on just doing it without thinking! I had a baby 2 1/2 years ago and boy did that ever change! I have NO confidence in myself as a rider anymore, mostly because I'm constantly thinking of my daughter and "what if I got hurt". That and I've been riding idiot green horses!
This year I've been offered the opportunity of a lifetime and I'm going to get to ride an experienced training level horse! This summer I'm planning on doing elementary level (and finishing all 3 phases, couldn't do that with some of my greenies!) trying adult event camp (so excited!) and maybe getting to do BN at King Oak in September! That would be such a dream just to do BN, especially there!

bornfreenowexpensive
Apr. 4, 2006, 04:56 PM
Janet, these announcements about the clinic that you keep posting are making me jealous of the folks in VA.

I was thinking the same thing! Just a little too far for me!

Jude
Apr. 4, 2006, 10:41 PM
I don't feel like starting yet another thread about this, and I am particularly interested in the opinions of you guys, lower level eventers, so:

Does anyone out there find the SJ is their weakest/least desirable phase? Lots of people don't like dressage, plenty of people don't like/are intimidated by xc, but everyone seems pretty happy with SJ (except eventamy - I'm with you on the dressage and xc shows!).

I guess it's because my schoolie doesn't do corners. Steering is her/my overall biggest issue, and I have to work really really hard but in this weird way I know she'll go clean as long as I get her somewhat pointed at the fences and kinda sorta forward. So it's kinda like a whole lot of work for not much satisfaction.

Dressage, though, is this amazingly awesome challenge where she really pushes me in a totally non-threatening way, and responds beautifully when I finally get it right. It's like the best kind of schoolmaster: "Not yet. Not listening. You haven't got it right. Okay, that was a good effort, I'll give a bit. Nope, you lost me. Ah-HA! There it is! Now you've got it!"

XC is a blast - her hand gallop is a million times better than what passes for her canter, and when she gets rolling it is awesome. She's totally honest and happy and somehow a lot of the steering issues disappear! Plus, you have to TRY to fall off of her, and spooking/stopping/refusing is just way too much effort. ;)

So, yeah, am I weird? Well, yes, but on this point in particular? Anyone else feel like this?

Lori B
Apr. 5, 2006, 09:54 AM
That all jumping is still challenging for me. I do understand what you mean about steering and keeping good momentum when what you are jumping involves a lot of tight maneuvering.

My best jumping experiences have been when I felt like I was riding corners competently, come to think of it. When I have managed to point myself deep into corners, so that I had a maximum amount of room to get squared away to the next jump, things go well.

I find that I'm more afraid of speed that I can't control than anything else, so it's still spookier to do XC for me. Chance is not exactly a speed demon, but doesn't always listen to my half-halts out in the big field as well as I'd like. And he still wants to move about twice as fast TOWARDS the barn as away from it, the turkey!

eventamy
Apr. 5, 2006, 10:36 AM
What I don't like about stadium is that everyone is watching every jump you make! I feel so out there for everyone to see!
With dressage, even though it's still spectated, I feel a little more comforable. I love cross country because it feels more solitary! Especially at this level, I don't know how they do it at the highest levels with all the spectators! Even though there is a jump judge etc on cross country there's still a lot less people to watch you screw up and for some reason that makes me feel better! But yes, Stadium is my worst and least liked phase!

bovon
Apr. 8, 2006, 12:29 PM
there is also just as many people to watch you succeed and the fact that you're even out there trying is pretty darn cool, doncha think!? I've also found that most peoplea re pretty much preoccipied with their own horsey stuff at the time and even if they are watching there still mostly thinking about their ride(s). At least that's what I'm doing. I can totally relater to the SJ heebeejeebies though and I feel so completely "FREE and Wild " out on the XC course. Yep, the dresssage test isn't even as worrisome to me as the SJ phase. I think alot of us are in the same boat but ain't it great we're actually "IN" the boat to begin with.

B Street Tango
Apr. 8, 2006, 01:08 PM
Congratulations on a VERY successful outing, Libish. Do you feel like you can conquer the world, now?! What a great day, to finish on your dressage and in the ribbons. Way to go!!

Libish
Apr. 8, 2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks B Street Tango! I'm not quite ready to conquer the world just yet... but I'm working on conquering my nerves over those BN oxers! :)

Perfect Pony
Apr. 8, 2006, 11:10 PM
And, I finally got up the courage to drive my truck and trailer :D. (I have had a totally irrational fear of driving it for a while and so I had to get either Mr catalina or horse friends to drive it- crazy, I know).

I just noticed this and had to laugh. I am a nervous wreck hooking up my trailer, and totally OCD about driving it.

I have to double and triple check everything efore I head out, espeically the back doors. I have a 2 horse slant and Lita hauls in it tied, but with the divider open so she has the whole trailer. She prefers it this way but I worry and worry. I usually stop at least a couple times whenever I drive somewhere to make sure she is still on all 4s. Then I double and triple check the back doors AGAIN.

I am almost ready to buy a ramp so there will be yet another barrier between my horse and the road (2 rear doors and a ramp on top of it!)

I hate driving my trailer. Love having it, hate driving it.

Gunnar
Apr. 10, 2006, 02:36 PM
I don't feel like starting yet another thread about this, and I am particularly interested in the opinions of you guys, lower level eventers, so:

Does anyone out there find the SJ is their weakest/least desirable phase? Lots of people don't like dressage, plenty of people don't like/are intimidated by xc, but everyone seems pretty happy with SJ (except eventamy - I'm with you on the dressage and xc shows!).

I guess it's because my schoolie doesn't do corners. Steering is her/my overall biggest issue, and I have to work really really hard but in this weird way I know she'll go clean as long as I get her somewhat pointed at the fences and kinda sorta forward. So it's kinda like a whole lot of work for not much satisfaction.

Dressage, though, is this amazingly awesome challenge where she really pushes me in a totally non-threatening way, and responds beautifully when I finally get it right. It's like the best kind of schoolmaster: "Not yet. Not listening. You haven't got it right. Okay, that was a good effort, I'll give a bit. Nope, you lost me. Ah-HA! There it is! Now you've got it!"

XC is a blast - her hand gallop is a million times better than what passes for her canter, and when she gets rolling it is awesome. She's totally honest and happy and somehow a lot of the steering issues disappear! Plus, you have to TRY to fall off of her, and spooking/stopping/refusing is just way too much effort. ;)

So, yeah, am I weird? Well, yes, but on this point in particular? Anyone else feel like this?

Coming from many years of H/J world I thought I would have it made in SJ. Bodie would laugh at the height of the jumps and we would be good. Now he is hurt again so I am going to be trying this on a very green horse. I have yet to even jump her over anything but XC. So yes Jude I now agree that the SJ will be most challenging.

One person mentioned not liking to be watched. Coming from many years of of multiple day H/J shows I love a audience! :winkgrin: I have shown in so many classes that I should certainly be used to it. Now put me on my 4 year old Draft X and I may be worried about an audience too! But I love to compete and show, so an audience must be what I crave!!:cool: :eek: :yes:

Back to your discussion!

redponyrider
Apr. 11, 2006, 10:21 AM
sigh. Stadium has become our "problem". We do fine in stadium at home and at jumper shows; we usually go clean x-c; our dressage is, well, acceptable; but toss in a stadium round at the end of the day, and something happens. Even if we school the EXACT SAME STADIUM COURSE the day before the horse trial with no problems at all. Sadly we've dropped back to "chicken little" level. The goal for the year is to go clean in stadium over 18" jumps; our first effort of the year, we had a refusal. At a crossrail. Grrr. How pathetic is that? I'm beginning to think the horse is just offended by the idea of being ridden three times in one day. Is that possible?

Janet
Apr. 11, 2006, 11:07 AM
Stadium has become our "problem". We do fine in stadium at home and at jumper shows; we usually go clean x-c; our dressage is, well, acceptable; but toss in a stadium round at the end of the day, and something happens.

I expect that the "something" is that you are both tired, mentally if not physically.

Perfect Pony
Apr. 11, 2006, 11:38 AM
I expect that the "something" is that you are both tired, mentally if not physically.

Could be that, or like me, I can manage to have refusals in a show type situation on a horse that has never refused in his/her life! I like others get a sort of "stage fright" and stop thinking in the show ring. When I used to show I used to either win or be eliminated depending on the day. It's like I enter a black hole when I walk through the in gate. As we all know horses sense this stuff.

I have decided as soon as Lita is going again to spend more $$ on clinics than shows, to get used to jumping a lot in front of strange people. Also I plan to go to little one day H/J shows so I can jump around a small course a few times in a day in front of people.

Whisper
Apr. 11, 2006, 02:13 PM
we usually go clean x-c; our dressage is, well, acceptable; but toss in a stadium round at the end of the day, and something happens.
Can you try slightly different formats, such as one with stadium before cross-country, or a combined test (stadium plus either cross-country or dressage), or a 2-day or 3-day format? Maybe he's tired, or after the adreneline rush of cross-country, just has some trouble making the mental adjustment back to stadium? I think it was even set up in that order to make it a little more of a mental challenge for the horses, IIRC.

Can you try schooling him at a place with cross-country and stadium fences, and switch back and forth between the two?

Hidden
Apr. 11, 2006, 02:18 PM
Wheeee.. I'm so lucky. I was checking on a place that runs a 3 phase schooling show in the summer months and off hand I asked if the person could give me a XC school/Lesson.. well the answer is yes! I'm so excited. So now I get to do a XC school April 24th which is about 2 weeks prior to the show there. What a stroke of luck, school it then show it. I'm happy happy. :)

Jude
Apr. 11, 2006, 03:29 PM
Hidden, that's great - what a nice setup! I'm so lucky to be training at a barn that runs four HTs and one or two CTs a year. Not only does my schoolie not have to trailer anywhere, but she knows all these fences and has packed beginner's butts (including mine) over them for years. I'm hoping to go out and school the UNH course before my first sanctioned this fall, if I get to do it. They just added BN, so there are all new fences to go play on!

For those of you on the yahoo group, you've seen this, but I had a good CT on Sunday. I got my first refusal (I think), mostly because my head and mouth were saying GO and my body just froze. I *thought* I was riding until I felt myself really start riding during the runout. Oh well. I did so much better on the SJ than I thought I would, so I'm happy. I guess getting really nervous about it works for me (helps me focus).