PDA

View Full Version : WASPS!!

SmallHerd
Mar. 27, 2012, 08:52 AM
OMG! The wasps are everywhere right now! They dive bomb us, hover around the house and barn, somehow sneak into screens, buzz your car when you pull into the driveway, etc. I have gone through 3 cans of wasp/hornet spray since Friday. The good ole I'net told me the queens are looking for places to build nests and lay their eggs this time of year.

I was stung last year and developed cellulitis in my arm, and now have a very nice scar/hole in my skin to prove it. Granted, my house is nestled in the woods on the top of a hill, but still, this is ridiculous. Any suggestions on how to keep them under control?

AliCat518
Mar. 27, 2012, 01:28 PM
Yuck. I had a bad year with them last year as well. I got stung by 3 at once, and they would NOT GET OFF ME. I developed purple/red swollen spots the size of a grape fruit on each sting. Benadryl and non itch sprays did nothing. As they started fading, I broke out into a rash on my entire body. Good times.

Theyre out like CRAZY this year already. I was speaking with a Pest Control person and they use something called " Wasp Freeze." You can get it from Walmart and similar places. Apparently it coats their wings is some sort of gel, and they cant fly. She highly recommended it. I'm sure gonna try it!

INoMrEd
Mar. 27, 2012, 03:00 PM
After watching Billy the Exterminator on TV use pyrethrin on wasps my husband used it and killed all the wasps in the two nests we found under our window awnings. We used concentrated premise pyrethrin in a spray bottle. With the nozzle set on stream.

msj
Mar. 27, 2012, 05:00 PM
Yep, all that warm summer-like weather in March really brought out the wasps. I used over 3 cans of Raid for Wasps just around my dumpster! Glad it cooled back off for a while. I knew the company I have come spray weren't going to show up until April sometime so I just used the spray cans I had. I used another 2 cans elsewhere. Hate the buggers! :mad:

Justa Bob
Mar. 27, 2012, 05:10 PM
If you can, always deal with insects when it's coldest. Most can't move well or at all in cold temps. Insects are endothermic -- most do not generate their own heat. Works with reptiles (snakes anyone?) too.

Good luck.

msj
Mar. 27, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evening and early morning as well for spraying as most are back at the hive rather than during the day.

SmallHerd
Mar. 27, 2012, 06:08 PM
I have only found one small hive in the eaves around my front porch, and sprayed it until it was sopping wet the other day. I have not seen any wasps go into, out of, or near it since. However, they are still hanging around the house. Maybe looking for another place to build? We are just spraying them as we see them.